• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] GTA Single player DLC has been replaced with online map expansions model.

This all very much sounds like wishful thinking. I'm not going to believe this until an official announcement.

Also no one should have expected SP DLC. Rockstar said it wasn't happening

Coffinhal

If you are a Business and you make more money on Microtransactions and GTAO than you did with 2 large single player DLC's for GTA IV its a no brainer to not do any single player DLC for GTA V and focus on the online portion - especially if its still popular.

I love these "There is no alternative" points some are trying to make to explain that everything is natural and couldn't be something else because "it's the way it is for a business yu kno"

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
GTAO needs a serious overhaul if this is true, everything takes way too long, it's fiddly to do things, in my opinion it just doesn't work as well as it should in its current state for something they want to support for another 3 years.

I would happily buy an full priced expansion, but only if it came with a single player part. Making liberty city and these other ones from previous games feels pointless to me without a single player part. They have three great characters, bring the voice actors back and throw some missions together.

If this is true. I don't understand.

1. WHY make the "Expansion"/dlc so late? Like last year woulda made sense, even this year would make sense. But next year? Seems just so odd and so late.
2. WHYYY would there be an expansion/dlc in 2018, after RDR2 is out? I guess PC users will like it, but console players might be on RDR2 only at that point.

It just seems like such a weird move.

1. WHY make the "Expansion"/dlc so late? Like last year woulda made sense, even this year would make sense. But next year? Seems just so odd and so late.
2. WHYYY would there be an expansion/dlc in 2018, after RDR2 is out? I guess PC users will like it, but console players might be on RDR2 only at that point.

It's not like this is out of the blue. People are playing GTA Online. A lot of people. Rockstar continues to support it because of that. Why does Blizzard continue to support their old games? Is that strange?

It would be weird if they announced Max Payne 3 multiplayer DLC or something. lol.

And I am not worried about RDR 2 at all. With the money Rockstar is making, both the Single Player and Online portions will be amazing. GTA Online's success probably gave them even more time to work on it.

2cool

Banned
Its a smart move financially. If GTA Online still brings in so much money, and there is lots of people who spent more than $500... Why alienate it with a new GTA? All those who already own it can be tried to "suckered" back into it with new gameplay and modes for the online in the new locations. Plus the many who still play it. Plus more ps3/360 converts who will make the move to ps4/x1. And rock star always said GTA Online is an ongoing thing. They always said they will bring more cities and connect them.

All their devs were working on something the last years and it was more cities. It all makes perfect sense. Maybe they thought of a GTA 6 but it could never break the GTA 5 records anyways since the install base isn't there yet.

I was already surprised at the last online additions. They were quite huge. Like those stunt races. It was already hinting at them not being done yet.

And I say all that not even being a huge GTA Online fan as I don't find it too fun getting randomly shot in open lobbies and I have no interest right now to play with a mic and make online friends. And playing a heist with randoms can get tiresome with too many loading timed, menus and aborts. But I can fully understand it business wise and I sure will check out the new locations, especially if they are also available offline.

This is old and with the announcement of Redemption 2 coming in the Fall there's no way in hell they're releasing such a major update at around the same time for GTA Online.

Nah. Gtav is still selling really well. To the point that last i looked it was still 40$ used, 2 years after release(next gen).

RdR sold, and reveiwed well, but no where near the levels of Gtav. Besides gamers can buy mutiple games, and R* can support mutiple games. Plus Rdr2 might get delayed.

MisterMac

Rockstar has always said they envisioned growing GTA:Online. They have always said it didn't have to be one city. The only official wrinkle is a Rockstar boss saying GTAO support would end to rest the franchise.

https://gamerant.com/grand-theft-auto-online-franchise-rest/

That said, how many months THIS YEAR was GTAV the top selling game of the month? On PS4/XBO alone there are likely tens of millions of copies in the wild. People continue to play. It only makes sense to support that.

GTA:Online is a great online experience that for years has received many free dlc that completely transform the game experience. After the Finance and Felony/Biker updates you don't even need to leave freeroam to make tons of money. There is always something you could be doing in freemode to make a little scratch. And if you enjoy playing the game you will make tons of money and not need to worry about buying a shark card

SoulUnison

Banned
I wouldn't really have a problem with GTAOnline if the game wasn't 40% loading screens and lobbies that disband before/halfway through a mission.

They've split their audience across a million different activities, so there's never enough people playing any specific one, unless it's one of the handful of missions that the community grinds over and over and over again because there's simply no better way to make money.

I still can't believe that after all the promotion and delaying of Heists they just threw 4 of them in the game and basically walked away going: "Ok, that's good forever."

At this point. I'm over the idea of getting a SP expansion for GTA5. If they do bring LC to GTAO, then I hope they bring music from GTA4 over. Jazz Nation Radio and The Journey.

Raptomex

Yeah, I'm not surprised myself. It almost feels too late now, anyway. It's been years. At this point I'm ready for GTA 6. I don't play GTA Online anyway.

GTAO needs a serious overhaul if this is true, everything takes way too long, it's fiddly to do things, in my opinion it just doesn't work as well as it should in its current state for something they want to support for another 3 years.

I would happily buy an full priced expansion, but only if it came with a single player part. Making liberty city and these other ones from previous games feels pointless to me without a single player part. They have three great characters, bring the voice actors back and throw some missions together.

I totally agree with you here. I'd be fine with this if true, but features need to be more open, if they want GTAO to prosper they need a much more interactive world not just missions and cars and mansions and cars and missions and adversary modes and Simeon.

We need features, the little things, more stores, more things to buy, home burglaries, pawn shops, more sports, being able to sit down on a beach bench, seasons, maybe talk to NPC's, legal occupations as a front/launder.

There is so much they could do, to make GTAO an entire on going metropolis. I know this is all wishful thinking though. The best part about online worlds, are the little things, the little features.

Basically the sims but GTA.

I absolutely do not believe this. The idea that they designed San Fierro and Las Venturas alongside Los Santos is just ludicrous to me. No way.

ogbg

Regardless of whether this is true or not was anyone still expecting single player DLC 3 years after the game came out?

Cubas

I don't think I'd play a SP GTA V DLC this late but this is still sad news to me. I'm very, very worried about RDR2 and the next GTA games.

I fear that Rockstar may be going the Valve way.

EXCELLENT

this is a good thing. Get outside your anti-social bubbles, nerds

As someone who played almost every popular MMO and every popular online game in the last 15 years and completely burned out from it all - NO, I will not leave my cozy story driven single player anti-social bubble.

I don't think I'd play a SP GTA V DLC this late but this is still sad news to me. I'm very, very worried about RDR2 and the next GTA games.

I fear that Rockstar may be going the Valve way.

I'm still not understanding this comparison. Rockstar is going to create their own digital service? Rockstar is going to go into VR? People are just pissed there still isn't a HL3?

Rockstar just announced RDR2. It seems like they are still specifically making games. I can guarantee you there will be another GTA game down the line as well.

Muffdraul

If anyone could afford to throw their single player community a bone even if it doesn't make them a bunch of profits, it's R*.

Raptomex

EXCELLENT

this is a good thing. Get outside your anti-social bubbles, nerds.
This post seems very ignorant if I'm reading it correctly. As someone who never plays a game for its multiplayer content, how is this good news? Why should I have to rely on other people for my enjoyment? What happens to an always online game in 20 years when the servers die/retire/whatever and I want to play it then? Looking at you, Diablo 3.

I love GTA Online so I'm excited to see what these new areas will look like. It's gotten kinda boring exploring the same city for the past 3 years.

2cool

Banned
If anyone could afford to throw their single player community a bone even if it doesn't make them a bunch of profits, it's R*.

I believe the single player dlc especially for RDR never sold that much in the first place. And I loved the GTA4 and RDR DLCs.

Knuxie

Neo Member
>Law and order DLC

This is exactly what I want from a GTA game.

Ever since Vice City, I used to roleplay as a cop. I'd have the cop uniform, use only weapons that the police used, and my garage would have every police vehicle in the game.

This is exciting

Gorillaz

I'm kind of curious about this, because when I played the 360 version back in the day GTA Online felt pretty much like random people crashing into each other, a couple of missions here and there, and then getting your ass capped when you went to deposit in your money in an ATM and lol all your hard work is down the drain. After that I learned you could deposit money via your phone (WHY DON'T THEY TELL YOU THIS EARLIER) but by that point I was already tired of getting ganked so I left it alone.

It's still the same with the depositing money but people don't give a shit about free roam players dropping cash on death. You can earn that with less struggle and time in these missions.

The drop in drop out nature of free roam/missions is great. Especially now it's more missions. The racing stuff alone is worth it.

Dr.-Who.gif

Super disappointing but not unsurprising considering how much money they have made from the Online portion.

Lime

Wasn't GTAO Benz's idea in the first place?

As Nirolak speculated in a previous thread that I cannot find right now, the project management might have something to do with the lack of singleplayer DLC, i.e. that Rockstar North lacks The Benz's talent (along with other key people who left after GTAV).

BONDO

GTA online ia amazing
Seems like the online gaming community hates it....but everyone i know IRL is addicted for years.
Constant support, fantastic experience everyday

DMONKUMA

I mean it's kinda expected....also I'm probably one of the few that think GTAO is alright.

But I guess that has more to do of the loss of singleplayer content than multiplayer for gaf.

Top Bottom