• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Junction Point Closed Down (Epic Mickey Games, Warren Spector's Studio)

apana

I agree about the concept art but it wasn't the look of the game that sunk it. No one really complained about the graphics after it was released, they complained about everything else.

Gannd

Banned
They haven't had any job postings in quite a while and John Pleasents refused to confirm the studio was an ongoing concern, so this is likely true.

It's called "going concern" not "ongoing concern". I'm sure the company is done with how poorly Epic Mickey 2 has performed. It's sad but the game wasn't very good.

Someone link that quarter gamespeed epic mickey 2 wii U video.
That was quite shameful (or weren't these guys responsible for the wii U version?)

Tagg9

Definitely saw this coming. After Epic Mickey 2 was rushed out the door well before it was ready, I could see no other outcome.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Someone link that quarter gamespeed epic mickey 2 wii U video.
That was quite shameful (or weren't these guys responsible for the wii U version?)

they weren't, but it's also worth noting that the devs who are responsible for bad ports are almost always talented, hard-working devs being placed under impossible development time and resource constraints.

Tucah

you speak so well
Someone hire him to produce a grimdark Looney Tunes game. They aren't afraid to break tradition.

Call it: Space Jam 2.

loonatics.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
they weren't, but it's also worth noting that the devs who are responsible for bad ports are almost always talented, hard-working devs being placed under impossible development time and resource constraints.

Epic Mickey 2 for Wii U was certainly one of those cases. Still, that bit during the Wii U Launch Quick Look...man.

My condolences to those who are now out of jobs. Hope they manage to land on their feet.

Sadly, this is a very early candidate for Most Predictable Studio Closure of 2013; I called it before EM2 was even officially announced, based solely on how frontloaded EM1's sales were. I didn't expect EM2 to be as badly reviewed as it was, but I don't think the series was ever savable, due to toxic word of mouth from the first one.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Don't get me wrong, I am sorry to hear that people are losing their jobs, but I can't help but chuckle when I think back to Epic Mickey being hyped up to be a "Mario-killer" by Warren Spector himself.

FoneBone

Yeah, Spector outright denied that it was coming to Wii U only a few months before it was announced... and I strongly suspect he was telling the truth. I mean, it's a Wii up-port (hardly the most technically demanding of the Wii U launch titles), and yet it had the worst performance of any of them.

The budget on this game must have been insane considering how much was outsourced to get it out this past Christmas.

That is not healthy for a new IP.

Hopefully everyone lands someplace nice. Are they located in a hotspot for development or no?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Oh brother, not this argument again.

Yeah, you either would have gotten pretty HD shit or ugly SD shit. Though the HD versions would probably have been even worse considering pointer control for Mickey's paint/thinner was the only compelling part of the first game (have yet to play EM2).

man, what a shame. i mean, everyone got really hyped for epic mickey, seeing the artwork and reading how the game was gonna be pretty dark and stuff like that. then we got the real pictures and footage and everything went down the drain.

Was the PC version of Epic Mickey 2 ever released? Last word seems to be it was scheduled for January, but since Disney doesn't really have any present in the digital distribution space for whatever reason you never know what the hell is up with their PC versions.

lefantome

I'm sorry for the good people who are going to lose their job, but if Spector claims about were true I can see the point in that(I'm not talking about closing the whole studio)

Disney Interactive (Operating Income):
FY10 2008: - 258.000.000 $
FY10 2009: - 295.000.000 $
FY10 2010: - 234.000.000 $
FY10 2011: - 308.000.000 $
FY10 2012: - 216.000.000 $

Total loss in the last few years: 1.311.000.000 $

Their interactive segment is a joke (business wise).

Meelow

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I am sorry to hear that people are losing their jobs, but I can't help but chuckle when I think back to Epic Mickey being hyped up to be a "Mario-killer" by Warren Spector himself.

The original Epic Mickey concept art was very hype worthy, it's just the final game couldn't live to that, especially since Disney is very protective of their IP's, Mickey Mouse being the most.

So we are never getting that Xbox port of Epic Mickey then :(

I grabbed the Epic Mickey 2 CE because I loved what I played of the first on the Wii. Looks like ill have to turn to Dolphin now to play it in HD.

Sad to see them go.

apana

Lets judge all games in comparison to the potential of concept art that could possibly be brought to life. The industry is sitting on trillions of dolllars and they don't even know it!

If some former Retro Studio were involved in Epic Mickey. Then why was the game so boring to play?

God I hated that show.

I guess the blame has to go to Warren Spector. He was the one responsible and it was clear there was some mismanagement with this project. They got basic things wrong and went way overboard with the number of people needed to complete the game. A lot of outsourcing was involved I think.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
The unfortunate thing is that the original rumor of "Mario by way of Disney" with all the bright aesthetics and such sounded like an insanely commercial concept. I'm surprised they couldn't find a place for JP within their current Infinity strategy, given that Spector seemed pretty open to the changing market.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Could see it coming a mile away.

First game sold well but was god awful.

2nd game was slightly less awful but sold bad because everyone got burned on the first one.

Gannd

Banned
Lets judge all games in comparison to the potential of concept art that could possibly be brought to life. The industry is sitting on trillions of dolllars and they don't even know it!

I guess the blame has to go to Warren Spector. He was the one responsible and it was clear there was some mismanagement with this project. They got basic things wrong and went way overboard with the number of people needed to complete the game. A lot of outsourcing was involved I think.

the outsorcing is for asset creation, by and large. the problem is not taking the time to prototype the game systems and things. the game didn't control well. it was rushed out the door to hit the christmas season. they should have pushed it back a year and really got it right.

There's a person from Rare at JP, he was shown in a video about the development of the first game, he worked on DKC3.

Now THAT is one Retro needs to pick up, if there's a Rare employee from the golden-era, straight to Retro I say. We only know of one person from Rare who was a programmer on Banjo-Kazooie that's at Retro, this person was at NA working at Edge of Reality, so this person at Junction Point if still there and will be job-less, that makes it all the easier for Retro to scoop up.

Still mad that they didn't accept Kirkhope when he was practically at their front door. :'(

The idea behind Epic Mickey (at least one, never played two) was always kinda nifty, but execution was definitely kind of spotty.

Nonetheless, sad to hear another studio is closing down, hopefully all the employees can land on their feet soon.

Sad to see Specter fall so far. Makes me wonder who the real Warren Specter is, the man who made System Shock, or Disney Schlock?

Sad to see Specter fall so far. Makes me wonder who the real Warren Specter is, the man who made System Shock, or Disney Schlock?

Bit unfair to Spector, there. If you've read any of the interviews he did for Epic Mickey and Epic Mickey 2, you'll see that those games were made out of his love for all things Disney rather than thrown-together, profit-grubbing shlock.

Top Bottom