• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Junction Point Closed Down (Epic Mickey Games, Warren Spector's Studio)

Takao

Banned
Entirely unsurprising. IIRC there was a ridiculous amount of people working on this game, with the end product being worse than the predecessor. Disney doesn't care about traditional video games so Junction Point was likely going to get the axe unless EM2 did spectacular figures.

Frogacuda

Banned
I would like to see Warren Spector join up with Arkane's Austin studio. I'd be surprised if they don't put an offer on the table.

With Crytek opening an Austin studio as well, it seems like there are a few interesting possibilities out there.

mclem

Retro might be getting some new employees soon. But all jokes aside, I really hope this isn't true

There's a few places they could drift to in Austin, really, particularly now Crytek's set up their new studio there too. That said, I'd be very interested to see what Retro could do with Warren designing...

Quentyn

It's official :(

It was with much sadness that we informed our teams today of changes to our Games organization, which include the closure of Junction Point Studios. These changes are part of our ongoing effort to address the fast-evolving gaming platforms and marketplace and to align resources against our key priorities. We're extremely grateful to Warren Spector and the Junction Point team for their creative contributions to Disney with Disney Epic Mickey and Disney Epic Mickey 2.

http://kotaku.com/5979884/the-studio-behind-epic-mickey-has-shut-down

Seda

oGP7Qdp.png

Disney's Statement said:
It was with much sadness that we informed our teams today of changes to our Games organization, which include the closure of Junction Point Studios. These changes are part of our ongoing effort to address the fast-evolving gaming platforms and marketplace and to align resources against our key priorities. We're extremely grateful to Warren Spector and the Junction Point team for their creative contributions to Disney with Disney Epic Mickey and Disney Epic Mickey 2.

(statement via Kotaku)

Saty

"It was with much sadness that we informed our teams today of changes to our Games organization, which include the closure of Junction Point Studios. These changes are part of our ongoing effort to address the fast-evolving gaming platforms and marketplace and to align resources against our key priorities. We're extremely grateful to Warren Spector and the Junction Point team for their creative contributions to Disney with Disney Epic Mickey and Disney Epic Mickey 2."

That's a bummer but it's not like either Epic Mickey game was great. So much potential squandered.

Hopefully those effected can find new jobs as quickly as possible.

More studios closing...sucks. I wish everyone the best.

I have to say though, I thought the decision to put out the first epic mickey on Wii only was maybe not the best idea. Also, making a disney game with Mickey, but filling it with a bunch of other characters no one ever heard of may have also been a mistake.

Give me a platformer with Mickey, but fill it with recognizable disney character's and locations from the parks and animated films.

Dipswitch

It'll be interesting to see what Spector does next. From one of his recent interviews, it sounded like he was generally down on violent games at this stage in his career.

So I'd be surprised if he ends up at Arkane - I haven't played Dishonored, but it definitely seemed like violent content was a big part of the game (Assuming you chose to play it that way). He may find his employment choices quite limited these days unfortunately.

Top Bottom