• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New GoldenEye for Wii (even PS3 and Xbox 360)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
msdstc said:
Just because it's called GoldenEye, doesn't make it the same. Rare should get back on that.

Just because it is called Rare, doesn't make it the same.

Ridley327

Cosmic Schwung said:
Agreed. I had a lot of fun with TWINE. If I recall correctly, they were given the opportunity to make the following Bond game too, but they declined. It's funny how things come round full circle.

That would certainly explain why Agent Under Fire sucked so hard. The character model that ended up being an amalgamation of Connery, Moore and Brosnan was so awful.

WEGGLES

Ridley327 said:
In all fairness to Eurocom, TWINE was a solid game that had a lot of notable improvements over the original GoldenEye. You just never hear about them because of how strong the nostalgia factor has been for GE ever since it came out in '97. I'm not saying this as some sort of guarantee that this new game is going to be great; just that a good Bond game wouldn't be a new thing for the developer.
I loved TWINE. A lot :)

And Night Fire was solid too. I had a lot of fun with that game playin with buddies split screen.

donny2112

Ridley327 said:
In all fairness to Eurocom, TWINE was a solid game that had a lot of notable improvements over the original GoldenEye.

TWINE was a game I bought on Matt-IGN's recommendation, since Eurocom was supposedly this great developer. It stunk. PS1 loading times on a cartridge-based N64? I also remember the graphics being incredibly grainy and nowhere near up to Goldeneye's level. My second Eurocom Matt-IGN recommendation was Sphinx. More useless loading times with a fairly simple, no big deal, game.

i.e. Invoking TWINE to prop up Eurocom's reputation isn't going to do much for me personally. :lol

Edit:
I never played Nightfire, but I heard good things about the game. Of course, I heard good things about TWINE and Sphinx, too. :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Tenks said:
Lol? Son? Get off your high horse dicksausage because I played Goldeneye for literal hours every day

You are lying. Know how I know? This:

Goldeneye's only true strongpoint was the fact that it had flawless 4player simultaneous co-op.
flawless 4player simultaneous co-op.

Also, the fact you think all the levels except Dam and Facility sucked.

Cosmic Schwung said:
Agreed. I had a lot of fun with TWINE. If I recall correctly, they were given the opportunity to make the following Bond game too, but they declined. It's funny how things come round full circle.

My memories of TWINE are tainted by the awful controls of the last level where you swim through the water in a sub. What a pain. =\

I liked the rest of the game, though.

Manus

majornelsontwittergoldeneye.jpg

This was all I wanted, but it's never going to happen. :[

Speevy

Banned
gerg said:
I'm not quite sure how it follows that if a Wii version is in development, a PS3 and 360 version must also be in the works as well. Either way, have Eurocom developed anything decent?

3490.jpeg

[Nintex]

SquirrelNuckle said:
This was all I wanted, but it's never going to happen. :[
Crazy to think that Rare actually had it in development. They're probably all playing it during their lunchbreaks too...

Ridley327

donny2112 said:
TWINE was a game I bought on Matt-IGN's recommendation, since Eurocom was supposedly this great developer. It stunk. PS1 loading times on a cartridge-based N64? I also remember the graphics being incredibly grainy and nowhere near up to Goldeneye's level. l

It's been forever since I've played the game, so it could have some long between-level loads, but you'd have to be on drugs to think that this:
goldeneye05.jpg

...looks better that this:
bondyblueboop1_640w.jpg

Not the best comparison (I was limited due to most images of TWINE being on ROM sites :-/), but there's a big boost in overall visual fidelity in TWINE that GE could only dream of, especially in regards to the framerate and lighting. It's not nearly as advanced as Perfect Dark was, but it was a big leap from what we got in 1997.

It also has Max Zorin as a playable character, so it wins by default.

It's not a good idea at all to keep the Goldeneye name, there is no way in hell this game can live up to its name.

But the Wii has yet to receive a great FPS, so let's just hope that this one turns out well. I'm not to confident about Eurocom though, they usually make nice but not spectacular games. And a nice FPS is not good enough in a such crowded market.

Ridley327 said:
It's been forever since I've played the game, so it could have some long between-level loads, but you'd have to be on drugs to think that this:
goldeneye05.jpg

...looks better that this:
bondyblueboop1_640w.jpg

Not the best comparison (I was limited due to most images of TWINE being on ROM sites :-/), but there's a big boost in overall visual fidelity in TWINE that GE could only dream of, especially in regards to the framerate and lighting. It's not nearly as advanced as Perfect Dark was, but it was a big leap from what we got in 1997.

It also has Max Zorin as a playable character, so it wins by default.

TWINE was nice, but it had shitty controls and shitty level design compered to Goldeneye. Hell, any FPS that wasn't Goldeneye or Perfect Dark had terrible controls in this day and age.

donny2112

Ridley327 said:
Not the best comparison (I was limited due to most images of TWINE being on ROM sites :-/), but there's a big boost in overall visual fidelity in TWINE that GE could only dream of, especially in regards to the framerate and lighting.

What I remember is the graininess of things in motion, particularly the cut-scenes. Maybe those were compressed FMVs, then? I only played through it once due to the disgust at ridiculous loading times, though, whereas I played Goldeneye a lot more, so I could be misremembering.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Two scenarios.

1. It'll play like most modern shooters and will be totally uninteresting. Mediocre levels, enemies, guns, etc. It'll get similarly mediocre reviews, fans will complain it wasn't enough like Goldeneye 64.

2. Developers will actually have a ton of nostalgia for the original game, and they'll make it play as close to the original as possible. Early footage shows a game that plays like the original Goldeneye. Fans will cheer. Game will be released. Fans will then complain that it's too similar to the original Goldeneye and that they should have taken into account all of the improvements of the FPS genre since then. Mediocre reviews from most outlets. IGN Wii will give it an 8.5. Intense GAF backlash.

Razien said:
I don't understand why people say Goldeneye doesn't hold up.

"People" (in the context of this thread and the posts proceeding yours, dark10x) say that because some people are as much (or more) in love with tech as they are with gaming.

I've said it before and it bears repeating: a good game is a good game forever. Games, once published, don't change. Expectations do. Keep that reality in mind and you can have fun with earlier games, too!

...but this isn't likely to be a good game, or worthy of the name.

gamerecks said:
Make it like Everything or Nothing, the best post Goldeneye bond game.

Doesn't From Russia With Love have the same engine? If not, it plays very similarly.

Give it a try if you haven't. It's great.

Ridley327

I dunno; GE was a great game for 1997 (especially when a good, original FPS on a console was rarer than unicorns back then), but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a hankering to pull out the old N64 for a few matches or take one last crack at getting the Invincibility cheat. No one disputes its influence at all, but bigger and better games have come out since then, even on the N64 itself.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
"People" (in the context of this thread and the posts proceeding yours, dark10x) say that because some people are as much (or more) in love with tech as they are with gaming.

I've said it before and it bears repeating: a good game is a good game forever.
I both agree and disagree.

I believe there are points through gaming history where the technology had not yet matured to the point of doing justice to the concepts. Early 3D software falls into this category for me.

Many early 3D games were limited by their hardware to the point that it directly impacts the playability of the software. People were less sensitive to this when it launched, but these days, it's just too low.

I can, and often do, easily go back and enjoy old 8 and 16-bit titles. Oddly enough, the titles that attempted to bridge the gap between the 16 and 32-bit eras are often the games that fail to hold up.

I suppose this doesn't hold true for everyone, however, which was where my assumption was faulty. Surely you can understand where I'm coming from, however. I do not demand the latest technology from all entertainment by any means, but I do feel that certain eras were too ambitious for their own good and are ruined by hardware limitations. This has nothing to do with expectations either as many of these flaws were evident back in the day. It was always clear to me that the framerate in Goldeneye was simply too low to allow for a smooth experience.

Such performance barriers are typically not present in 16-bit software, on the other hand, which allows them to remain completely playable.

Ridley327 said:
I dunno; GE was a great game for 1997 (especially when a good, original FPS on a console was rarer than unicorns back then), but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a hankering to pull out the old N64 for a few matches or take one last crack at getting the Invincibility cheat. No one disputes its influence at all, but bigger and better games have come out since then, even on the N64 itself.

I don't think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone like that if you were really searching for them. There is at least one posting in this thread.

We're not debating if Goldeneye is the best FPS ever made (at least I'm not). We're debating whether or not it is fun. That's an entirely subjective thing. The fact that it was overwhelmingly considered to be great in its day and is now considered (on GAF) to be nigh unplayable says a lot more about what the average GAFfer (and, indeed, the average gamer) values in his/her games than it does about the game itself.

There are plenty of games I have a hard time going back to and enjoying. Take the original Tenchu. It was always ugly, and after adapting to the dual analog stick controls in Wrath of Heaven and Fatal Shadows, it's a real slap in the face to go back and play it now.

But I have, and after an adjustment period I do enjoy it. The game didn't change. My expectations of what a game "should" be changed. When I keep that in mind, I can have a lot of fun with older games.

dark10x said:
I both agree and disagree.

I believe there are points through gaming history where the technology had not yet matured to the point of doing justice to the concepts. Early 3D software falls into this category for me.

Many early 3D games were limited by their hardware to the point that it directly impacts the playability of the software. People were less sensitive to this when it launched, but these days, it's just too low.

I can, and often do, easily go back and enjoy old 8 and 16-bit titles. Oddly enough, the titles that attempted to bridge the gap between the 16 and 32-bit eras are often the games that fail to hold up.

I suppose this doesn't hold true for everyone, however, which was where my assumption was faulty. Surely you can understand where I'm coming from, however. I do not demand the latest technology from all entertainment by any means, but I do feel that certain eras were too ambitious for their own good and are ruined by hardware limitations. This has nothing to do with expectations either as many of these flaws were evident back in the day. It was always clear to me that the framerate in Goldeneye was simply too low to allow for a smooth experience.

Such performance barriers are typically not present in 16-bit software, on the other hand, which allows them to remain completely playable.

Did you enjoy the games then? If so, you could enjoy them now if you approached those games and accepted them for what they are instead of being irrationally irritated that they aren't something else.

I do know where you're coming from. While I find a lot of charm in the comparatively primitive visuals of many PS1 games, I'm shocked by how terrible many N64 games look now (not to mention control... going from two analog sticks to one is pretty jarring).

But I can still play and enjoy them for what they are. That's all I'm saying.

donny2112 said:
It stunk. PS1 loading times on a cartridge-based N64?

Wow, I completely forgot about those horrendous loading times. They were indeed a joke. Having said that, I'm still happy to say I enjoyed the game.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Ridley327 said:
I dunno; GE was a great game for 1997 (especially when a good, original FPS on a console was rarer than unicorns back then), but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a hankering to pull out the old N64 for a few matches or take one last crack at getting the Invincibility cheat.

[raises hand]

hell why don't I go do that right now? I'll just unplug my PS2 to free up an outlet on the power strip...

:lol I can't believe how negative your reaction is. Rogue Agent must have scarred your for life, along with The Conduit. You seem to believe if Goldeneye 007 is the best that the series can get, they should just quit. Do you want a goddamn competent shooter on the Wii or what?

ChoklitReign said:
:lol I can't believe how negative your reaction is. Rogue Agent must have scarred your for life, along with The Conduit. You seem to believe if Goldeneye 007 is the best that the series can get, they should just quit. Do you want a goddamn competent shooter on the Wii or what?
I don't mind a new significant other, but someone who's decided they can increase their chances by using an ex's name is getting off on the wrong foot. Especially if several years ago someone already tried that and proceeded to stab my cat.

Ridley327

Let's just say they'd be better off with doing an original game in the vein of Nightfire or EON than invoking the GoldenEye name again. It doesn't do anyone any favors.

Ridley327

Given the information about the PS2 version of QoS, it seems like Eurocom is about the only dev we should trust with Bond games. :lol :lol :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
ChoklitReign said:

¬_¬ you leave TCon out of this

Tannhauser

Neo Member
I don't really like how they're milking off the name of the N64 Goldeneye game. The Goldeneye movie is completely irrelevant now, and 4 James Bond movies have succeeded it. For those of you dismissing the praise due to the original game because of the nostalgia factor, I strongly disagree with that and urge you to play it again or realise that not everybody else is going to agree with you unless you give convincing arguments supporting your view.

For example, I played most of the great games on the N64 and I still held it as my favourite game on the console. Super Mario 64 was unable to grab my attention off that game for long, despite already playing it for months beforehand.

Eurocom did Nightfire, which was a good James Bond game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
happyfunball said:
For a better idea of their handling of the Bond franchise recently, take a look at Quantum of Solace for PS2.

It was exclusive for PS2 and a third-person shooter instead of the FPS that 360/PS3/Wii received.

IGN Quantum of Solace PS2 Review

quantum-of-solace-20081111031007927_640w.jpg

quantum-of-solace-20081111031019270_640w.jpg
Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. Looks a LOT better than the Wii rendition of QoS. They should have ported THIS version to the Wii instead.

Can't resist posting this shot... :D

quantum-of-solace-20081104042459891.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
gerg said:
To be fair, the box does say "Visceral Games" on the front.
And yet, actually crediting them for development of the game would be a stretch. Eurocom undoubtedly made the game.

deepbrown said:
Bizarre will be making the PS3 and 360 versions....
The Club: GoldenEye Edition? Hurray...

This is what Activision bought them for? Blur and licensed crap?

jj984jj said:
And yet, actually crediting them for development of the game would be a stretch. Eurocom undoubtedly made the game.

The Club: GoldenEye Edition? Horray...

This is what Activision bought them for? Blur and licensed crap?

that's what activision IS.

Kard8p3

Y2Kev said:
I bought this.

ON DS.

I BOUGHT THIS ON DS.

I also bought it for the DS. I wanted to play a DS FPS and at the time this was the only one available. Oddly enough I had a decent time with it.

Dizzy-4U

BTW, Who owns the Timesplitters IP? Crytek? They should repack the 3 games in one bluray like God of War or something. It's basically Goldeneye with steroids.

Activision is now going to cash-in by riding the coat-tails of Rare's masterpiece? Why am I not surprised. They truly are "the new EA" right down to copying EA's exploitation tactic.

Well, if they don't fuck it up, I'll buy it. But I'm pretty skeptical.

I'd like an up-dated version of the original. (Update the graphics & engine but leave it pretty much the same.) Of course, that won't happen due to the legal mess of MS/Rare, Nintendo, and Activision having various claims on the original GoldenEye.

Is a new GoldenEye coming to the Nintendo Wii and possibly the Xbox 360 and PS3?

According to the CV of Craig Peck, animator at Eurocom Entertainment Software, a new GoldenEye game is in development for the Nintendo Wii.

Activision leaked their plans to release a new James Bond game earlier in the year, with 2010 as its intended release date. Peck's CV is the first indication that it might be another GoldenEye video game entry.

The N64 game GoldenEye 007, developed by Rare, is regarded as a classic, after being received incredibly well by critics.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Tannhauser said:
I don't really like how they're milking off the name of the N64 Goldeneye game. The Goldeneye movie is completely irrelevant now, and 4 James Bond movies have succeeded it. For those of you dismissing the praise due to the original game because of the nostalgia factor, I strongly disagree with that and urge you to play it again or realise that not everybody else is going to agree with you unless you give convincing arguments supporting your view.

For example, I played most of the great games on the N64 and I still held it as my favourite game on the console. Super Mario 64 was unable to grab my attention off that game for long, despite already playing it for months beforehand.

Eurocom did Nightfire, which was a good James Bond game.

Five Bond movies have come after GoldenEye, unless you were being snarky and dismissing one of them =P

I would dismiss the last two and say we haven't had a Bond movie since 2002, but that's just me.

dark10x said:
Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. Looks a LOT better than the Wii rendition of QoS. They should have ported THIS version to the Wii instead.

Can't resist posting this shot... :D

quantum-of-solace-20081104042459891.jpg
They should port that version to the Wii. Even now.

Ugh, that screenshot. The original GoldenEye looks better and that was on a console 2 generations earlier. :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
autobzooty said:
that's what activision IS.
True. Bizarre... :(

Anyway, I don't expect this to be any better than Quantum of Solace, which Eurocom was involved with as well.

Night_Trekker said:

I've said it before and it bears repeating: a good game is a good game forever. Games, once published, don't change. Expectations do. Keep that reality in mind and you can have fun with earlier games, too!

Those "people" are full of shit. I never owned a N64 and when I first played the game a few years ago it was awesome. I still played it at my friend's houses day to day. I find it more fun than using juggling with dual analog. Goldeneye showed that console FPS's needed to diversify themselves to hold there own again PC shooters, sadly that was lost through time.

Top Bottom