• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New species/details for ME4 from BW's private fan panel [Content deleted]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Some more quotes from the same dude.

They didn't show any female krogans to my remembrance, there were several various head configurations with face plating on the forehead, jaw line, and chin.
They looked very synthetic, give a typical rock golem the Tron Legacy makeover and you've got it. Reaper color scheme though. Kind of like Sylux from Metroid Bounty Hunters; slightly less robotic in appearance.
They did say that exploration and story are very important and that one of their goals to strive for was "a stranger in a strange land like ME1" I think that's the way Mike Gamble worded it.
Also you reminded me of the thing about save customization. Mike did mention that they were looking into leaving a kind of debugging-like menu in the game for picking plot flags when making a save file so you can have the exact file you want without having to do another crazy long playthrough or going through a really limited motion comic.
Also off topic, something else I remembered that was mentioned but not shown. They really want to do crazy customizable armor. Down to different pieces, colors, textures, materials, and whatnot.

if it's the future then hopefully some brave scientists will have cured the geth from the tragic individuality virus that poor brainwashed legion infected them with in me3.

They're not going to make Krogans playable. If they do make multiple species playable in the story, it'll likely only be human, Asari, and Turian.

They wouldn't make a Krogan main character since they'd never make a romance arc with that species lol. The other 3 are fair game.

They did say that exploration and story are very important and that one of their goals to strive for was "a stranger in a strange land like ME1" I think that's the way Mike Gamble worded it.

Also you reminded me of the thing about save customization. Mike did mention that they were looking into leaving a kind of debugging-like menu in the game for picking plot flags when making a save file so you can have the exact file you want without having to do another crazy long playthrough or going through a really limited motion comic.

Also off topic, something else I remembered that was mentioned but not shown. They really want to do crazy customizable armor. Down to different pieces, colors, textures, materials, and whatnot.
church-lady-faint.gif

Zen

Banned
They want to go back to exploration and discovery like Mass Effect 1? Stranger in a strange land? best news for the franchise since the original came out. Aknowledging that Mass Effect 1 had the best tone of the entire series? Thankyou.

Quentyn

Sounds great. I was hoping they would add a couple of new races to mix things up. Hopefully they are actually new races that matter and not just enemies you fight.

Zen

Banned
how can a sequel reconcile the
terribad
ME3 endings?

Control

"Shepard did this stuff and then the reapers just disappeared... no one heard from them again and Shepard was never found"

Destroy

"Shepard did it and stuff blew up setting us back a bit, but Geth etc ended up surviving because they had been building a really powerful shelter to try and outlast the war and slowly rebuilt"

Synthesis

"Everyone had green eyes for a while and there's some altered dialogue but that's it"

Since they wrote away the whole 'everyone in orbit is obviously dead" and all the ramifications that would have had with the three different endings, it's actually pretty easy. All you need it some Bioware grade 'who gives a fuck' hand wave writing that invalidates or marginalizes any past decisions. They're really good at it writing their way out of corners with logic that makes no sense.

The bigger issues are actually how they would deal with things like the outcomes of the Geth/Quarian conflict and the Genophage.

Jhoan

I like everything I've been reading. More exploration/mystery like ME1 sounds good. Hopefully a good combat system/party banter gets implemented since it was pretty insightful/funny in ME3.

Give me a galaxy trotting bad ass Turian space detective investigating an intriguing mystery (no ancient evil BS please) and I'll have the biggest smile on my face. Also seeing species' home planets would be nice like the Turian and Asari home planets instead of reading about them.

It'd also be nice to play as Yahg or at least have a Yahg party member.

Zen

Banned
The only thing stoping humanity from doing that already is our technology.

Bioware = Not giving a FUCK over anything they do. I don't expect it to even matter. :(

Yep. Waving away the ME3 shit ending is actually pretty easy due to the extended cut taking all of the very logical implications of the original ending and just saying 'no... because we said so...'.

Relays obviously destroyed leading to massive problems with Krogans at home on planet that rely's on aid and complete societal reset? -> Relays only damaged!

All technology destroyed = Ships stuck without any power so everyone in orbit will die and earth uninhabitable? - > Ships and tech only damaged!

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm not going to lie but that actually got me seriously hyped. Hope the concept art starts leaking out soon. Love that they want to emphasize on exploration again and doing crazy armour customisation.

Zen

Banned
Who the fuck wants to get rid of Krogans? They're like Dino-Klingons.

I didn't cure the genophage and not only was it the right call, I shot Moridin in the back to do it. Wrex was dead in my game though, but even still no guarantees with Wrex that someone in his own species didn't off him, and eventually the same scenario that triggered the rebellions would have likely happened due to space/resource strain.

*sigh*

There goes any hype I had.

A sequel sounds horrible to me.

Why would a sequel be horrible? It will recover the series from the complete dead end that it was left at with 3. If you thought Shepards actions were rendered meaningless just wait until you played something in the first contact war or what have you.

I can't describe the level of near apathy many people would have knowing that it would all still lead to that shit show.

Zen

Banned
I found the overall plot, as it was presented in ME1, to be enthralling. I think there's a solid middle ground. Much of 2 was fairly ho hum because it lacked a strong over arching plot. If you didn't care about X person you were recruiting, you were pretty much boned for that segment.

Dennis

Banned
they want to bring back the focus on exploration and discovery

This is good. I never understood why they thought that turning ME into a series of increasingly grimdark and linear corridor shooters was a good idea.

Mass Effect 4: The Open-world Virmire Exploration-RPG

Akainu

So I'm thinking sequel because new races are kind of hard to explain in a prequel especially when it does take place in the current cycle and I definitely know that for sure
How does he figure this? So these new races were just hiding?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How does he figure this? So these new races were just hiding?

A majority of the galaxy in the Mass Effect canon is still unexplored and locked off due to Citadel space protocols forbidding activation of any new relays without authorisation. It took centuries for anybody to even known humans exists, and only because humans activated their own relays and ran into the turians. It's plausible within the canon that plenty of other species exist but remain undiscovered due to not being apart of the Citadel relay network we're familiar with.

Zen

Banned
The codex talks about new races being discovered all the time. There are a lot of races we just don't see, because they're too primitive or what have you. It would be interesting if the 'arrogant' race recently discovered their mass relay.

EDIT: beaten!

Very interesting......make the game varied and the story interesting this time. If this is just last gen ME with a new lick of paint I am out permenantly. Needs more exploration, more cohesive worlds, less watered down combat and upgrading, less cliche.

Please let the sequel be very, very far ahead of the current trilogy. I love the multiple races idea. And customizable armor. I'm willing to give the Mass Effect series a second go, they have such a rich universe at their tips. Hopefully they don't waste the potential here.

Due to the ancient race sounding similar to Reapers in their description, while it's possible that they are villains, I am skeptical. For them to survive the cycle that contained the Prothean's extinction they would have to be synthetic and floating shards may suggest this (with some connection to Element Zero).

I'm wondering if they'll go for a plot that involves the arrogant race defying council orders and activating new Mass Relays without authorisation leading to the discovery of another empire (Golems) and the problems that this brings with it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Exploration (trader, science mission) and interaction with many characters please.

Sex with everybody.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The "get rid of" question is obviously left in because of multiplayer. The two people vote for the least will be DLC races. $9.99 a piece.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Blasphemy. Quarians and Krogans were the best followed by Salarians. If one of the main races has to go, it's gotta be Asari since there isn't a single interesting Asari in all 3 games imo. Turians gets a pass because of Garrus.

Hey Aethyta is pretty ballin' but yeah I'd totally be ok if the Asari just ceased to exist.

dr_rus

This is good. I never understood why they thought that turning ME into a series of increasingly grimdark and linear corridor shooters was a good idea.

Sure. Look at them bringing a couple of grimdark and linear side corridors and calling that exploration.
They have a lot to prove after the clusterfuck of a game which was ME3.

Also - I'm not sure how there even can be a sequel. Liara is probably the only one who can logically appear in it and with a completely new cast, a new problem to solve, new races - it might as well be a prequel or "sidequel", doesn't matter.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

The shooting (or rather power combos) was the only thing going for ME3 other than Tuchanka and dat soundtrack.

EatChildren

I could see them going for a semi-destroy kinda ending that muddles with the canon a bit. They're not going to please everyone no matter what they do, so they might as well embrace making a scenario that benefits the narrative the most. Shepard MIA/KIA, Reapers gone. Reaper destruction and damage to the relay in turn activated all dormant and existing relays, "completing" the relay network across the galaxy, resulting in mass connection of all space faring species and opening doors to uncharted worlds. Hence why two new major species enter the picture.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'm not keen on the sequel idea, but then again if they weren't going for that, the game wouldn't be called Mass Effect 4.

I just hope they stick to one idea and follow through.

So, there hasn't been any info on who the next big-bad villains are to replace the reapers? Or am I just terribly behind on Mass Effect news?

In any case I hope there are some nice comics to bridge the gap between series.

daedalius

Sounds pretty great!

EatChildren

So, there hasn't been any info on who the next big-bad villains are to replace the reapers? Or am I just terribly behind on Mass Effect news?

In any case I hope there are some nice comics to bridge the gap between series.

There hasn't really been any official info on anything other than a new Mass Effect existing. BioWare still hasn't announced how it will play, where in the timeline it will be set, or what the core narrative is. All we know is BioWare Montreal is heading Mass Effect 4, and it won't be called Mass Effect 4.

Phalanx92

Here's hoping they don't rehash the whole Reaper conflict narrative with some kind of brand new undiscovered big bad. Just give us a new game with more character focused moments, more varied dialogue choices, and lots more exploration.

I am so tired of the typical Bioware story formula.

Top Bottom