• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: PS+ EU games for March includes Deadnation for PS4.

Mrbob

Ugh. I hope Dead Nation isn't the free PS4 game. What a disappointment if true. Unless the game has been reworked for PS4 I don't care. It is mediocre at best. Plus I already own it on PS3. Waste of a free slot.

Toki767

As my EU PS+ is coming to an end, it feels like the US and EU are finally getting basically the same games. I guess I no longer have to double dip on subscriptions.

Yaoibot

Time to finally play brothers.

I like experimental and indie games, but I found this dry as dust. The game-play is minimal, and the gimmick of dual, sometimes simultaneous analog control can be more of a hindrance and immersion breaker than a delight. The babble that the characters engage in (a 'non' language done for creative effect) is quite annoying as well.

Just an opinion, and its free - supposedly - so I'm sure you'll check it out anyhow and form your own.

quickwhips

I hope this isn't the free game for US also? Don't want a PS3 game in HD that is old. Seems like a MS game for gold game right?

Just imagine Dead Nation in glorious 1080p and 60fps !!!

faint-o.gif

I don't think Dead Nation would benefit all that much from a current-gen port. It wasn't all that much to look at in the first place, and was hardly pushing the hardware. When people mention WipEout Fury, now THAT's something I can get behind.

tch

Is it likely for Dragon's Crown to be free one of these months or should I just go ahead and buy it?

Is it likely for Dragon's Crown to be free one of these months or should I just go ahead and buy it?

Atlus has done a couple of PS+ freebie but as far as I know, they've never done a particularly recent game. So you might see Dragon's Crown in 2015.

Also keep in mind that they usually just make multiplatform games free on a single system so if you wanted a specific version of the game, that lowers your chances further.

Arondight

Would have been better for vita if Deadnation was on there instead. I find it weird that PS4 gets the game first given it hasn't been announced yet while vita has since gamescom.

Otherwise, March month seems meh since the vita games don't interest me and have TR. Sales for EU have also been pretty disappointing as well.

Ramenman

Pretty much every Ps4 owner has a Ps3. I'd say easily 80%.
Why would they buy the definitive edition if they could play the Ps3 version for free?

Because it's much more beautiful and has much framerate and resolutions.

I've never played TR but now that I've seen this PS4 Gamersyde footage I don't think I could play the current gen version without aching a little inside.

Ah pants, just bought Brothers and PJM HD recently and have barely played them.
First month I have been disappointed with the offerings, can't win 'em all I guess!

Bishop89

pixel junk, tomb raider and dead nations... nice..

since when was dead nations confirmed for ps4 though? :/

Kind of conflicted with tomb raider... i rather play the definitive edition :/

JP

Would be very happy to get a sexy looking 1080/60 Dead Nation on the PS4 for free, especially if there was new content too but I'd give it all up for my increasingly good looking DriveClub.

I know it can't happen but try and imagine Dead Nation with 80 bazilion voxels made out of blood and body parts flying around on the screen Resogun style!!!

Hmmm. Hope that isn't true about Dead Nation. I liked the game but I have no interest in playing it again. Especially considering other similar PS3 -> PS4 up-ports for smaller games have been free anyway.

Also, Tomb Raider being free seems pretty weird considering PS4 Tomb Raider just came out. That'd just result in less sold PS4 versions if people are getting a version for free, not really in Square Enix's best interests.

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
I created myself a new account a few weeks ago without PS+ yet. Will it be possible to get all the current ps+ games plus the new ones from march with the 14 days free trial? -I'm planning to get plus for a year but only starting at the end of april for maximum Damage =)

Carbonox

Fuck, Tomb Raider? Damn, I've always wanted to play it but I want the Definitive Edition on PS4...

Maybe I'll download it, treat it like a glorified demo and then purchase the PS4 version based on my views. *shrugs*

Vormund

It feels like Dead Nation was quickly ported over just to give us something this month. That said though, I wouldn't complain if they ported over more PS3 PSN titles.

Not a great month for me, I already have DN and TR. :/

Dambrosi

Banned
Tomb Raider and Pixeljunk Monsters I already own on PC, so no interest there.

I tried to get into Dead Nation twice, but it kept cockblocking me at around the Hospital stage. Really needs to be played co-op, that game does.

Smart As I've never heard of. Is it like Smarter Than A Fifth Grader, or more like You Don't Know Jack?

The only thing that really interests me is Brothers, so I hope this rumour remains just that, and we get some more appetising games this coming month. We do pay for this service, after all!

Amir0x

Banned
Ugh. I hope Dead Nation isn't the free PS4 game. What a disappointment if true. Unless the game has been reworked for PS4 I don't care. It is mediocre at best. Plus I already own it on PS3. Waste of a free slot.

we're bound to have some really lame months sometimes in the early PS4 days. Simply not enough PS4 games to offer for free yet, and not enough bigger games on the market for a considerable enough time. I'm actually surprised how decent they have been doing considering

meppi

My tiny mind can't comprehend ir imagine Dead Nation looking better than it did on PS3.

Actually, there was occasional slow down.

No slowdown, 60fps, 1080p and an improved lighting engine?
If all of these get implemented I'll easily spend another 50 hours on the PS4 version. :)

we're bound to have some really lame months sometimes in the early PS4 days. Simply not enough PS4 games to offer for free yet, and not enough bigger games on the market for a considerable enough time. I'm actually surprised how decent they have been doing considering

"Really lame" seems like the norm for these early PS4 PS+ games.

Amir0x

Banned
"Really lame" seems like the norm for these early PS4 PS+ games.

Getting Resogun for free considering it's still the best PS4 game was more than enough; getting Outlast and Don't Starve additionally is quite swell, as Don't Starve especially is a fantastic game.

Considering we've only had a few months, that's about as good as anyone could reasonable expect.

Amir0x

Banned
The only weak one so far has been Contrast if you ask me. Resogun, Don't Starve and Outlast are all pretty great games.

I mean I understand some people got two of those on PC already, and some people make distinctions between AAA and indie (lol, poor them), but Sony can't make decisions about PSN based on how many people might own PC versions of things, and since the system just launched, there is not actually a wealth of content to choose from. They have to be selective early on. In six months you'll start seeing more of the type of content people were used to on PS3, but early on this is really the best anyone should feel right to ask for. It's free games, it's not a Gamefly service. They weren't going to give you ACIV for free during the launch window or something :p

Getting Resogun for free considering it's still the best PS4 game was more than enough; getting Outlast and Don't Starve additionally is quite swell, as Don't Starve especially is a fantastic game.

Considering we've only had a few months, that's about as good as anyone could reasonable expect.

I didn't really like any of them, but I don't know what they could reasonably give me to make me happy at this early juncture. For me, it's pretty much just shit I get on top of the free PS3 games, which are the main draw of the service.

Edit: Wait, no. I want Octodad. That looks fun.

KORNdoggy

I don't think Dead Nation would benefit all that much from a current-gen port. It wasn't all that much to look at in the first place, and was hardly pushing the hardware. When people mention WipEout Fury, now THAT's something I can get behind.

You can't see the benefit of a 720p 30fps game (dead nation) getting a 1080p 60fps makeover, but you can get behind a 1080p 60fps game (wipeout HD/Fury) getting a 1080p 60fps re-release? If anything the latter is more pointless, because in either case assets probably won't change.

Entitled much? "Really lame" was back when the PS3 launched and there was barely anything hitting PSN at the time.

Yeah, I am entitled, given that I pay for the service. I would prefer games that I want instead of games I don't want. Now, I also get interesting stuff on the PS3 and Vita (sometimes), but it would be nice if the PS4 stuff was good, too.

PBY

Banned
It sucks. I don't understand tho why indies aren't racing each other to get stuff out here. PC ports, whatever. I'm buying anything that goes up on PSN now.

I mean I understand some people got two of those on PC already, and some people make distinctions between AAA and indie (lol, poor them), but Sony can't make decisions about PSN based on how many people might own PC versions of things, and since the system just launched, there is not actually a wealth of content to choose from. They have to be selective early on. In six months you'll start seeing more of the type of content people were used to on PS3, but early on this is really the best anyone should feel right to ask for. It's free games, it's not a Gamefly service. They weren't going to give you ACIV for free during the launch window or something :p

Yeah that's true about PC. Luckily I missed both of those games on PC so they were "new" to me on PS4.

And I think even 6 months is pretty generous for PS4 PS+ to start being more like PS3 even. A year even would be too! PS3 back catalog is hugggge and even a year from now PS4's won't be THAT big. Well...Knack will probably get on there late this year I bet but not much else. Then again I expect and accept that.

Drainer

Banned
Yeah, I am entitled, given that I pay for the service. I would prefer games that I want instead of games I don't want. Now, I also get interesting stuff on the PS3 and Vita (sometimes), but it would be nice if the PS4 stuff was good, too.

In all fairness, I doubt the folk who make the calls on these free games just arbitrarily pick the game they think would suck the most for everyone.

I'd wager there are a lot of plates in the air as to who gives approval to have their game go free, opportunity cost, how new/old is the game, is it a game with a lot of DLC that can make up some lost revenue via selling that DLC.

I doubt it's an easy job. If it was as simple as just "Give the best newest games free" then I'd assume that's what they'd do. I expected the first free PS4 and Xbox One games to be a bit meh to at least begin with, but to be honest, Resogun and Outlast are both great to me.

Contrast for me, was pretty terrible and I simply do not get Don't Starve. Which disappointed me because I love Klei so I had faith it would be a great game. But chalk it up to "did not click". Found myself walking around hitting random stuff, then died taking on a pig and I was like "nope, fuck this".

Melchiah

Agreed. It's quite absurd, that people seem to expect there to be similar offerings like on the PS3, when the bigger titles have only been available for three months. The PS3's side of the service never offered just released big titles either. About a year from the launch we may be getting them on the PS4 as well.

I'm personally very satisfied with the service, as Resogun and Outlast were right up to my alley. I didn't care that much about Contrast and Don't Starve, but it's expected that there isn't going to be something that's to my selective taste every month (that goes for Netflix as well), which is why I don't see a reason to complain about it.

Top Bottom