• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Retro not working on DK or Metroid, 2017 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enforced

I hope retro studio is making Kirby air ride 2.
/s

I'm looking forward what they will be making next. I love their games

Kid Ying

I would love more donkey Kong, but to each his own. I know it's not as loved to most. Thank got they are not working on Metroid though. Waste of resources. Will cheer for a new ip

Can't we just have both?
I think what people have in their head when they imagine "New Nintendo IP" is a lot different than what it'll actually be. For every Splatoon there's a bunch of Flingsmashes. A new Nintendo IP isn't going to be Uncharted, it's going to be some weird Nintendo-esque thing that would've been better filled by a property that already exists.

F-Zero, Mach Rider, Star Tropics, Wave Race, whatever the hell. There's room for tons of originality in what they already have.

KraytarJ

God I hope so, a new IP by retro would be great. Hopefully Nintendo can see the value in that in the wake of Splatoon.

daTRUballin

Well, hey guys. She did say no Donkey Kong Country. They could still be working on a different type of Fucking Donkey Kong game. ;)

ozfunghi

Since this tweet is so old, it's actually possible that Retro has finished the project they were working on when she wrote this tweet, and have since started on Metroid Prime which could also be nearly finished since this tweet was from 1986!

Makonero

Come on, Star Tropics!

Not gonna happen but I wouldn't complain if it did :)

It's a reboot of Sheriff. Open world western. :p

RWvPPrP.png

D-Man

Not working on a franchise fans want despite selling poorly for another franchise that fewer fans want and sells even worse sounds like a terrible idea.
It's also not like they have experience in racing games.
outside of helping with MK7, I guess

Let me dream. :(

For real though, I'm on board with whatever they do. I trust Retro.

Nanashrew

Banned
Not sure which one you are talking about.

Can't remember their name, but they showed up in every one without fail when Emily had a new rumor to share. Always asked why people defended her and such. It reached a point where it seemed like they were obsessed with her.

jeremy1456

I think what people have in their head when they imagine "New Nintendo IP" is a lot different than what it'll actually be. For every Splatoon there's a bunch of Flingsmashes. A new Nintendo IP isn't going to be Uncharted, it's going to be some weird Nintendo-esque thing that would've been better filled by a property that already exists.

F-Zero, Mach Rider, Star Tropics, Wave Race, whatever the hell. There's room for tons of originality in what they already have.

So you think Retro has been working on something akin to Flingsmashes?

4 years without a project, and you're sure it won't be something a little more major?

We haven't really seen what they're capable of when it comes to an original title. I mean we've seen a tiny bit (Raven Blade) and heard musings (they were working on a car combat game for Gamecube) but nothing they've ever released has been akin to a cheap downloadable game.

They're a studio that makes big budget well designed retail releases.

But keep to your negativity. If anyone could make the next Uncharted but hasn't yet it would be them.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It will be interesting to see what Nintendo developer maintains the DKC IP now. Personally, I think Nintendo analyzed the sales data and didn't see the IP with the same longetivity as others.

It will be interesting to see what Nintendo developer maintains the DKC IP now. Personally, I think Nintendo analyzed the sales data and didn't see the IP with the same longetivity as others.

I fear DK might just go back into spinoff hell like the GBA/GCN era when Rare left the building.

daTRUballin

I know they're not a Nintendo developer technically, but I could see Playtonic tackling a new game in the series after Yooka Laylee maybe.

But Tropical Feeze was the litmus test right? How would the DKC sequels perform? Is the Western market of today supporting side scrolling platform sequels?

Couldn't one blame the poor Wii U install base for that? I always did feel that if TF was released on a console with a user base similar to that of say, the Wii, it would of sold a lot more.

Sponge

Banned
But Tropical Feeze was the litmus test right? How would the DKC sequels perform? Is the Western market of today supporting side scrolling platform sequels?

I honestly thought Tropical Freeze sold so little because it was on the Wii U. Only real backlash I've heard towards the game is that it wasn't Metroid, which isn't really fair to Retro because a lot the Prime team has left and have worked on things like Recore now. Not saying that couldn't do a new Metroid but, I'm not sure if it would be the same.

The Donkey Kong meme should've died when TF came out and was better than your favorite 2D platformer
(unless your favorite 2D platformer is Sonic 3 & Knuckles)

But Retro does good stuff, a 2017 offering from them would be awesome.

So you think Retro has been working on something akin to Flingsmashes?

4 years without a project, and you're sure it won't be something a little more major?

We haven't really seen what they're capable of when it comes to an original title. I mean we've seen a tiny bit (Raven Blade) and heard musings (they were working on a car combat game for Gamecube) but nothing they've ever released has been akin to a cheap downloadable game.

They're a studio that makes big budget well designed retail releases.

But keep to your negativity. If anyone could make the next Uncharted but hasn't yet it would be them.

I don't mean Flingsmash literally. I mean that people want and expect some big AAA cinematic powerhouse along the lines of Uncharted. I'd love something like that, but that's not Nintendo's (and so also Retro's) M.O. Even the most linear Metroid Prime game wasn't anything close to as cinematic as its contemporaries. And all Retro has really done is Metroid Prime and DKC. It'll be a fantastic game whatever it is, with great music, graphics, and level design. But it'll probably be some weird Nintendo-esque thing, not the tentpole game that'll make people take Nintendo seriously like a lot of fans envision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom