• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Retro not working on DK or Metroid, 2017 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Couldn't one blame the poor Wii U install base for that? I always did feel that if TF was released on a console with a user base similar to that of say, the Wii, it would of sold a lot more.

Obviously the Wii U ceiling was much lower. But other Nintendo mascot games still performed well. DKCTF didn't perform as relatively well. I think Nintendo will continue with DKC, but with lesser decree (different developer, moderate budget).

jwillenn

Retro bout to do Eternal Darkness the way it should be done! Gah, I hated that game but always found the concept of a horror game built around a super ambitious "Insanity Effects" mechanic intriguing.

I'm personally disappointed Retro isn't rounding out a DKC trilogy. TF is one of my all time favorites, and DK is my favorite game character. I hope that franchise doesn't go dead now.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The follow-up tweet makes it less likely since it hints at a new IP, but this doesn't exclude a 3D Donkey Kong game. Not saying it's likely, but don't let your dreams be dreams.

OP is misleading.

Kid Ying

Obviously the Wii U ceiling was much lower. But other Nintendo mascot games still performed well. DKCTF didn't perform as relatively well. I think Nintendo will continue with DKC, but with lesser decree (different developer, moderate budget).
Yep, although i like it, the whole notion of "it sold bad because it was on wiiu" it's nonsense. Comparatively, donkey Kong drop was pretty heavy and it's not unusual for some games to show that. Sometimes people are fine with just a new iteration of a franchise and don't show for another.

Orayn

I'm just hoping for some new IP in an inventive setting, T rating, and cross-demographic appeal. Impress me, Retro.

Champion

I'm praying it isn't something with Mario and the gang. A new IP is ideal but I'd settle for a revival of an IP like Eternal Darkness or Star Tropics.

Sponge

Banned
Retro doesn't need to make DK, Nintendo has tons of qualified studios to do that. Retro deserves so much more.

Maybe I'm biased but I don't think just anyone at Nintendo can work on DKC. It took nearly a decade after Rare left for the series to end up in capable hands. I would be very disappointed to see the series go dormant again.

If Retro is indeed reviving StarTropics, I wonder if Nintendo will finally bother to release the original games on the Virtual Console in Japan.

Aquova

Sorry, who is this woman? I've heard her name before, but I don't know anything about her. Has she been known to be credible?

I keep hearing this since WiiU launch where did it come from?

Dunno, just an idea passed around.

Probably won't happen but it'd be neat. Retro seems to specialize in handling series that are more western oriented (DKC originated from a British company and Metroid was always more popular in the US). StarTropics was always intended to be more for the western crowd, hence why the first two games never saw a release in Japan in any shape or form.

Chris FOM

I know a few people at Retro. They a, don't talk about what they're working on, ever, and b, all say that Emily Rogers has no idea what she's talking about.

At the very least, I hope they port Tropical Freeze to the switch. Game is too good to be left on the Wii U.

That'd be sweet. Throw in an HD port of DKCR with no stupid waggle controls and all the extra content from the 3DS version and it'd be pretty kickass.

Hell, why not let David Wise compose an all new soundtrack for it, lol.

Hazu

By the way, why do people keep asking for Star Tropics? I keep hearing about this game but I've never played it before. Is it that good?

Nairume

Banned
By the way, why do people keep asking for Star Tropics? I keep hearing about this game but I've never played it before. Is it that good?
Somewhat, but how good it was then doesn't really matter all that much. Reviving and reinventing old Nintendo IPs, regardless of how great they were before, has worked out for them in the past.

GCNemesis

If Nintendo's increased interest and focus on developing a game tailored for eSports is true, it wouldn't shock me if they allow Retro, the western studio they trust the most with their IP, to utilize another Nintendo IP to build such a game.

That's not to say that one of Nintendo's internal teams is working on it instead of what I'm saying, but if Retro is not making a new Metroid or Donkey Kong, I wouldn't be shocked if their next game was something like that.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I know a few people at Retro. They a, don't talk about what they're working on, ever, and b, all say that Emily Rogers has no idea what she's talking about.

Yeah, and there's at least one Retro (or ex-Retro) employee on GAF too that I won't mention the name of.

They're a very secretive bunch. This might very well be the new LinkGate, which I suspect she made up because it'd be a big deal on her favourite forum, NeoGAF.

She and Doctor Cupcakes don't have a great track record, in fact, his is terrible and he can't take the heat when people point out that he's not a reliable source.

Dr. Buni

I hope she is right. I want more Metroid, but not by Retro Studios. I want something new from them, they are so talented.

Still, as much as I want it to be true, I don't trust that girl.

jeremy1456

I don't mean Flingsmash literally. I mean that people want and expect some big AAA cinematic powerhouse along the lines of Uncharted. I'd love something like that, but that's not Nintendo's (and so also Retro's) M.O. Even the most linear Metroid Prime game wasn't anything close to as cinematic as its contemporaries. And all Retro has really done is Metroid Prime and DKC. It'll be a fantastic game whatever it is, with great music, graphics, and level design. But it'll probably be some weird Nintendo-esque thing, not the tentpole game that'll make people take Nintendo seriously like a lot of fans envision.

So you're selling off Retro because they came up with a creative storytelling method for Metroid Prime?

DKC I will give you, but do you really want sprawling stories in a Donkey King game? Really?

Neff

I like Retro's Metroids a lot, but if we're going to get a new one I'd rather have Sakamoto/Nintendo behind it.

Whatever Retro have cooked up, I'm sure it'll be fantastic as always. Their hit rate is 100% to date as far as I'm concerned.

Seik

Banned
This has traditionally been true, but Splatoon might have changed their perspective a bit.

True, but Splatoon was a chance given to new blood at Nintendo, Retro is basically furniture that's been there for a good while.

If anything, Splatoon can increase chances of new franchises, but by new development teams.

Retro Studios is extremely talented. Metroid Prime is in a select pantheon of games where everything about the game is virtually flawless. Hell at this point I'd take a shiny new HD rerelease of Metroid Prime but really looking forward to what they're working on, seriously excited.

So you're selling off Retro because they came up with a creative storytelling method for Metroid Prime?

DKC I will give you, but do you really want sprawling stories in a Donkey King game? Really?
Metroid Prime 1 is one of my favorite games of all time. I own all the Metroid Prime games and bought and beat both of their DKC games on release. They're top notch developers.

I'm not sure what you're getting at tbh. Obviously Donkey Kong wouldn't have a big story. I'm not saying Retro is incapable of doing a big story game, just that it's unlikely based on their output and how Nintendo generally operates. For better or worse Nintendo does its own shit. In the Wii U's case, as great as DKC TF was, the Wii U didn't need more colorful platformers.

120v

i'm skeptical they're not working on a balls out 3D metroid.. but if not, fine. can't complain with that track record

messiaen

Pikmin 4 please.
Would really love to see their take on Pikmin. Hoping it's something original if it's not Metroid. Maybe one of those early GameCube concepts revisited?

Chris FOM

Is this the new "My uncle works at Nintendo"?

I don't give names out of respect for my friend, but I can confirm it easily enough. There's a Retro employee here on GAF. If he's agreeable I can PM him my name, my friend's name, and he can talk to them at work and confirm that I'm not making this up. That said, I don't have any actual insider info. She takes her job incredibly seriously and has never given me even a hint of their current projects, although she likes to hear my speculation. What she has told me, quite directly, is that everything Dmoly Rogers has ever said about Retro is categorically wrong and that Emily clearly doesn't know anyone in the studio.

Nairume

Banned
If Nintendo's increased interest and focus on developing a game tailored for eSports is true, it wouldn't shock me if they allow Retro, the western studio they trust the most with their IP, to utilize another Nintendo IP to build such a game.

That's not to say that one of Nintendo's internal teams is working on it instead of what I'm saying, but if Retro is not making a new Metroid or Donkey Kong, I wouldn't be shocked if their next game was something like that.
I imagine Retro would have had to have given a really impressive pitch in order to get the backing to do a major game being pushed for esports, given Retro hasn't really done much with competitive multiplayer in well over a decade at this point beyond supporting Mario Kart 7's development.

Menitta

If we don't hear what they're working on by January, then that's ridiculous at this point. It'll have been 3 years since Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze by then.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't give names out of respect for my friend, but I can confirm it easily enough. There's a Retro employee here on GAF. If he's agreeable I can PM him my name, my friend's name, and he can talk to them at work and confirm that I'm not making this up. That said, I don't have any actual insider info. She takes her job incredibly seriously and has never given me even a hint of their current projects, although she likes to hear my speculation. What she has told me, quite directly, is that everything Dmoly Rogers has ever said about Retro is categorically wrong and that Emily clearly doesn't know anyone in the studio.
I somehow doubt Retro are the only ones who know what they are working in. For instance, there's this company called Nintendo who fund their work.

Edit: never mind old rumor anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom