• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 |OT|

Game continues to deliver. Boosted it up to Hard difficulty to slow myself down a little and it does require a bit more attention be paid to ally health and enemy attack spamming.

Which girl I'll ultimately go with has gone where I expected it to: Dolce most likely, but Clorica a close second making me delay the decision. Others I haven't paid much attention to this game (Margaret though maybe for a later run) or look too young (Amber).

As has oft been noted, the older women in these games are often more appealing than half the actual availables, Nancy and Lina being essentially the new Hazel and Shino from RF3. I wouldn't have minded if they had a choice at the beginning for a younger or "older" character and give each age group 3-4 unique romance options like Illuminata for older.

I got a major road block at the ghost mansion thing. Then I do nothing but farming and forging, made myself a spear and new set of armor, and upgraded everything to level 10, then I just plowed through everything.

I whipped through that one just by using Light. But the winter areas have a sharp increase in enemy strength.

mollipen

Alright, have a question, because I feel like I'm dumb and have just missed how to do it during all of my playtime: is there a way to set up quick swapping between certain weapons/items?

Because having to constantly go into the menu system to switch from a tool to a weapon back to a tool back to a weapon is super annoying.

Alright, have a question, because I feel like I'm dumb and have just missed how to do it during all of my playtime: is there a way to set up quick swapping between certain weapons/items?

Because having to constantly go into the menu system to switch from a tool to a weapon back to a tool back to a weapon is super annoying.

don't see anyway in the manual. waste of a dpad and touchscreen :(

btw: what are y'all's weapon type of choice?

Lumyst

I feel immensely satisfied when the two-handed swords sweep across multiple enemies at once, so I gravitate to 2-handed swords.

A spear with Millionstrike attacks on Y and Dark Snake spell on X = field full of tossed around enemy bodies and an overload of damage numbers.

Noi

I'm running Dual Blades cause the best offense is not letting the enemy attack period.

Nope. Having said tool/weapon constantly switch locations on you makes it even more annoying, just something you gotta live with.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Okay what the fuck? Dylas is using some kind of sorcery to get 90-130cm fish, and I can't get more than 70-80cm.

Cheating bastard

ys45

Okay what the fuck? Dylas is using some kind of sorcery to get 90-130cm fish, and I can't get more than 70-80cm.

Cheating bastard

I was beaten by him also at the fishing festival he got like 25 fishes while i was able to catch 9 (which gave me no. 3 position)

So far my favorite weapon is the dual blades but i must admit the 2 handed sword is quite good also .

zigg

Finally got my copy last night. Only had time to play a tiny bit this morning though.

You guys weren't kidding about the 3D. I am a 100%-3D kinda guy and the opening scene with Ventuswill was making me nauseous. Gonna flip 'er off I think.

zigg

I accidentally just slashed some of my yams with my bad ass blades. My heart is broken.
Ah, yes, the whole swords-can-also-be-used-as-sickles thing…

I always had a problem processing why I would want to carry both a farm hammer and a war hammer, myself.

Lumyst

I remember I had some crucial crops growing in a dungeon in RF3 and then as I was hectically fighting back some monsters, I saw the crops were gone. Now I know why.

Roubjon

img_20131011_2018330wupj.jpg

What a cool guy.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I been playing the game for 20 hours thinking that level 3 is the max level for crops, but noooo you need to level up your tool to get level 3-6. Time to restart my crop leveling project.

zigg

So, I, uh, broke the water fountain by my field. For good measure I also broke the shipping box.

Is this permanent?

Niahak

When I did the same to my lumber/stone box by accident, they popped up in my room. Of course, that was after I bought a replacement (from the general store sells furniture order).

You should check your room and your fields, to see if they pop back up. Might need to leave town and come back to be sure.

zigg

When I did the same to my lumber/stone box by accident, they popped up in my room. Of course, that was after I bought a replacement (from the general store sells furniture order).

You should check your room and your fields, to see if they pop back up. Might need to leave town and come back to be sure.
Leaving and returning didn't seem to work, but loading my save again did. Phew.

adroit

It's a miracle I haven't broken anything yet because I'm still playing New Leaf and the button assignments are completely different.

Lumyst

It's a miracle I haven't broken anything yet because I'm still playing New Leaf and the button assignments are completely different.

In past Rune Factory handheld games the player would play with the touchscreen, so he/she could tap things. I find myself tapping the top screen on the 3DS sometimes and then going "duh! can't do that!" since I'm still playing RF 2 and 3 at the same time I'm playing 4.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just beat the second boss.

I like the game so far and have been playing it nonstop. But this game could really use a much better interface and menu overall. It would make more sense if a rock is in front of you that "B" would cause you to hit it with a hammer even if you don't have one equipped. The Left Shoulder Button Menu is abysmal.

Also I ran into a piece of untranslated text lol. It was during the first Fishing Festival. Meg has a line of dialogue that shows up with Japanese text.

Trojita

When Meg appears in a conversation it appears at first glance like she has no arms.

Y5uDQYX.jpg

I blame it on the poofy sides and how its hard to see her other arm.

zigg

Possible spoilers. There's an art contest thing deep in your house… and something popped up fairly quickly which I'm not sure I'm supposed to know at this point in the game.

The art contest was presented by Venti, but in human form? What the? I don't want to know exactly what happens if this is a spoiler, but I'm curious at this point whether it is actually a spoiler or whether it's just random.

Roubjon

Damn this game is long. I've played for 32 hours and I'm only close to finishing up Summer. The good news is that it's just as fun as it was 30 hours ago. If anything, the amount of things I'm managing is increasing constantly, making it really enjoyable. Also I read from some random guy in SIliconera comments that there are three story arcs? This is probably true, but can any of you guys validate it?

I have a question though, the only new farm tools I've been able to make are the ones just one level higher than the cheap tools. Is there something I have to do in order to make better ones, because I'm not seeing it.

Lumyst

Possible spoilers. There's an art contest thing deep in your house… and something popped up fairly quickly which I'm not sure I'm supposed to know at this point in the game.

The art contest was presented by Venti, but in human form? What the? I don't want to know exactly what happens if this is a spoiler, but I'm curious at this point whether it is actually a spoiler or whether it's just random.

I've only just got Dylas in town so I don't know anything about what happens later on,
but I know that the 3 previous dragons were bosses and I personally predict Ventuswill to end up being a boss somehow
based on that pattern.

Niahak

I have a question though, the only new farm tools I've been able to make are the ones just one level higher than the cheap tools. Is there something I have to do in order to make better ones, because I'm not seeing it.

I'm curious about this too, since I can make the third-level watering can, hammer, hoe and sickle but not the axe.

I assume you got the new recipes via Farming Bread? When you try to eat it but can't get more recipes the message implies you need to use the tool type more (skill level with it, I guess) and have the right amount of blacksmithing skill (third-tier recipes are 30, so I think you need 20ish). I'm not sure if there are other factors, though.

You'll need silver to make the next level in any case.

ronito

I think the requests are not very well paced. I just finished the mansion and started on the next dungeon and the requests are still like "Make a weapon!" Yeah I did that like 10 hours ago.

Roubjon

I felt the same way at times. I actually thought I hit a roadblock in the quests for a while because one of them asked me to give some winter flower to Dolce so I thought I had to wait until winter. It never occurred to me I could just go to the farming plot in the winter area of the game and grow it there. So for the longest time I could only grow Yams.

Also I find it hilarious that putting a yam in an oven creates a sweet potato.

Niahak

I think the requests are not very well paced. I just finished the mansion and started on the next dungeon and the requests are still like "Make a weapon!" Yeah I did that like 10 hours ago.

This was my experience until I finished the Corn and Level 5 Veggie requests, at which point it opens up a ton and there's not much guidance on how to proceed (e.g. "Harvest 12 veggies", "harvest X flower which hasn't been even mentioned"). I haven't completed a non-randomized request for most of a season.

It would be great if you could undertake as many requests as you want during the tutorial section. I guess I can understand why they'd limit it, though - that encouraged me to explore more.

zigg

I'm still only a few days in, but I can totally see how this could happen with the daily rationing.

I took care of the forest evil before Venti had a chance to ask me to. Then I did it again just because I could.

Trojita

I've only just got Dylas in town so I don't know anything about what happens later on, but I know that the
3 previous dragons were bosses and I personally predict Ventuswill to end up being a boss
somehow based on that pattern.

Why are you spoiling stuff?

Lumyst

Oh, I guess technically you'd have to beat the previous games to know that. Oh, and I know that somewhere down the line I will have to make and use the Sweet Potato Staff.

^^^I had a string of "build a forge, now that you have a forge, make something" requests that I already accomplished before receiving them. So maybe those kinds of requests are for newcomers.

ronito

After much saving and foraging I finally got the stuff I needed to upgrade my room!....I didn't need a separate room though :(

I should've bought an oven.

Been running around building weapons, oddball crops (some for boss taming) and revisiting areas while waiting to trigger
Act 3
and just yesterday finally getting Dolce's relationship event. The random triggering of some important events is annoying.

On the latter, after finally encountering it, I can see RF4 really does ultimately add a lot to the relationship side, even over the still-nice RF3. Sealed the deal with Dolce and now ready to continue the story...when it will let me lol.

zigg

I'm still in fucking tutorial mode. And I can't even buy the rice because FESTIVAL

Clearly I am not committed enough.

ronito

I have to say the game delivers inspite of some flaws.
Hell, it's up against my copy of Pokemon X and I'm it's still holding my interest. That's a damned impressive thing.

I just wish there were more online resources.

bronk

Banned
After I finish Virtues Last Reward I am all over this. I had a blast with 3 even though I didnt finish it. This will definitely take Animal Crossings spot for me.

ronito

So wait, milk and wool only level up if you level up your animal's actual levels not their friendship levels? F****!!
I've been leveling up the wrong thing all along.

Also what about dating? I've gotten the girls to 7 heart points but nothing's changed.

So wait, milk and wool only level up if you level up your animal's actual levels not their friendship levels? F****!!
I've been leveling up the wrong thing all along.

Also what about dating? I've gotten the girls to 7 heart points but nothing's changed.

You can start using that oddly generically applied "I Love You" button with them, but starting at Lvl 7 it may actually be taken seriously by the eligible girls. Friendship levels can continue to be built up as well and apparently improve positive responses.

Best to focus on maybe two favorites and start dating them, not only because chances go down to get a positive with each extra girl you try to court but because the game can (appropriately) make you feel like a jerk when some girls you initiated things with start wondering what your deal is.

zigg

I'll just go for this because all I really want to do is dual-wield waifus.

(seriously, I was kind of annoyed when RF3 made me get married to beat the game)

Trojita

I'm disappointed in the number of waifus to choose from. I think I might choose Clorica.

Man this game as major slow down when too much stuff is on the screen. This is without 3D.

I got the first two rune stones and am on my way to the 4th Guardian. I got my farm expanded as well.

Top Bottom