• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 |OT|

ronito

The pedo force is strong in this one, I was really surprised to find Xia Pai was a bachelorette but Lin fa wasn't and then they dropped Amber on me.

It's always funny, in every Rune Factory game there's always been a woman that I'm like "Why can't SHE be a bachelorette so I don't have to feel like a damn dirty pedo?"

This time it's both Nancy
Nancy_REAL.png

and Lina
Lin_Fa.png

Instead I get
Kohaku_Happy.png

Lumyst

It's always funny, in every Rune Factory game there's always been a woman that I'm like "Why can't SHE be a bachelorette so I don't have to feel like a damn dirty pedo?"

Well, it's not like the main character looks like a man :p Who was the "unattainable woman" in ToD, was it Jocelyn? Of course, they did give the player the option to have Aden marry Lily so in a sense, if ToD sold more copies perhaps they would have considered having more mature-looking marriage candidates in future entries! (I'm joking, I just want to give you more reasons to hate ToD.)

As for the gender choice thing, interestingly enough, I probably would be more like Frey when looking down from an airship, I'd probably be even more scared, "Ah! I don't want to look down! I'll just stay here in the middle so there's no chance of falling off!" So the way I see the dialogue choices, it's that they are a reflection of the characters and not a projection of myself onto the situation (otherwise I would have had to choose to play as Frey.)

edit: Oh yeah, ronito, doesn't Kiel seem kind of "boyish"? I guess that if a woman played this game and played as Frey and went courting after Kiel, it'd elicit the same sentiment as a male playing the game and having Lest go courting after Amber. I remember being shocked to find out that Yoshifumi Hashimoto said that demographically, the high schooler/young male demographic is the one attracted to Rune Factory (me being 22 puts me squarely in the demographic that is attracted to this series, what a conincidence.) So when I read in this thread about people playing the game with their wives, it gladdens my heart to know that I will still hold this series dear the older I get. And then I'll wish there were more older marriage candidates.

Midou

The pedo force is strong in this one, I was really surprised to find Xia Pai was a bachelorette but Lin fa wasn't and then they dropped Amber on me.

Yes, I would literally fear that picking Amber or Pai is like, dialing 911 for you. I don't know if it's cause I'm older now and the moms seem closer to my age or something, but everytime I see people saying like their favourites are Amber and Pai I feel a little sick on the inside. I mean they are cute and stuff, but for marriage it's weird. I guess at some point kings married 10 year old girls and stuff, but we are past such times. I don't think people who like them are pedos, but it certainly makes me feel uncomfortable.

Roubjon

It certainly made me raise an eyebrow. But I don't plan on writing an article about it. If that helps.

I wouldn't blame you if you did, lol.

Yes, I would literally fear that picking Amber or Pai is like, dialing 911 for you. I don't know if it's cause I'm older now and the moms seem closer to my age or something, but everytime I see people saying like their favourites are Amber and Pai I feel a little sick on the inside. I mean they are cute and stuff, but for marriage it's weird. I guess at some point kings married 10 year old girls and stuff, but we are past such times. I don't think people who like them are pedos, but it certainly makes me feel uncomfortable.

I mean, we're talking about a game where you get the chance to date androgynous anime characters. It is impossible to tell the sex of more than half the characters in the game and they all look younger than 15. Also I assume the characters aren't 10? I think you are just looking at it too seriously.

So, I've been working on my relationships to try to pass a request.

I can't get Doug above 3 friendship level. Do I have to Story to make friends with him? Does he ever agree to join my party? What gives here?

Lumyst

I see people saying like their favourites are Amber and Pai I feel a little sick on the inside. I mean they are cute and stuff, but for marriage it's weird.

Well, in my opinion, the more "animated, bubbly" characters are the ones that seem the most interesting in this game, and for me, those would happen to be Xiao Pai and Amber. (And the dragon.) In previous games, that was different, so "the more interesting character" isn't necessarily the "visually questionable" choice. It may be a neat experience to play as the female when given the choice in games though. Dylas and Arthur have the more interesting personalities in my opinion, among the bachelors.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I am particularly disappointed with this one :((((( Very, very disappointed :((((((

And why didn't I get an anime scene the first time I talked with Forte?

As for bachelorettes, I guess in the end it's between Margaret, Clorica, or Forte. The other two... Amber and Pai I mean, feel wrong for me, for some reason. I haven't seen Dolce around though, maybe it's related to the story.

vareon

Oh, Lin Fa. So close, yet so far.

Before the start of the game I was hoping for Margaret, but as I was playing she was pretty....vanilla...so far. Now I'm closer to Saber or Clorica.

Lumyst

Oh yeah, anybody else noticed how you get to see your skill point experience while you're crafting now? Finally, we've come a long way since that shipping bin in RF1 where you can't even check what's inside.

Noi

Forte gets an anime cutscene from the first time you exit the village to fight things rather than just talking to her. She's Sabe-err, a Knight after all.

It could be worse. The bachelorettes in Frontier were pretty good about making them seem actually date-able, except for one glaring exception.

3 has my favorite overall cast, with Frontier and ToD being runner-ups in variety.

ronito

Well, it's not like the main character looks like a man :p Who was the "unattainable woman" in ToD, was it Jocelyn? Of course, they did give the player the option to have Aden marry Lily so in a sense, if ToD sold more copies perhaps they would have considered having more mature-looking marriage candidates in future entries! (I'm joking, I just want to give you more reasons to hate ToD.)

As for the gender choice thing, interestingly enough, I probably would be more like Frey when looking down from an airship, I'd probably be even more scared, "Ah! I don't want to look down! I'll just stay here in the middle so there's no chance of falling off!" So the way I see the dialogue choices, it's that they are a reflection of the characters and not a projection of myself onto the situation (otherwise I would have had to choose to play as Frey.)

edit: Oh yeah, ronito, doesn't Kiel seem kind of "boyish"? I guess that if a woman played this game and played as Frey and went courting after Kiel, it'd elicit the same sentiment as a male playing the game and having Lest go courting after Amber. I remember being shocked to find out that Yoshifumi Hashimoto said that demographically, the high schooler/young male demographic is the one attracted to Rune Factory (me being 22 puts me squarely in the demographic that is attracted to this series, what a conincidence.) So when I read in this thread about people playing the game with their wives, it gladdens my heart to know that I will still hold this series dear the older I get. And then I'll wish there were more older marriage candidates.

I don't know about the demographic thing. I mean even when I was in high school I didn't like 10 year old girls...

ToD for me was actually less bad when it comes to Rune Factory's "Pedo-Force"

My choice was Lily
Lily.png

Shame the game wasn't very good.

As for this game I'm thinking either Margaret or Clorica.

Roubjon

I mean, when it comes down to it, it seems like some of you guys are just saying if their hair is short they are pedophile material.

Lumyst

Well, of course Hashimoto was referring to Japanese young males (he even said that some housewives play the game too, interestingly). But the reason I like this series is because it reminds me of the joyous harmony of characters getting along on an adventure, the same feeling I got watching Anime as a kid (plus it's a great time killer). The daily life interspersed with fantasy, the heroes finding themselves saving the world, not by choice but by circumstance.

Come to think of it, I liked the "isolated" feel of the previous games, this one has a more "regal" feel to it, the town seems a little "too" civilized, while the previous games had villages in isolated locations.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Wait.

For some reason I just remembered that I haven't actually seen the opening animation. I might be crazy, but... I could have sworn the game immediately jumped to the start menu?

Huhhhhh.

Noi

Come to think of it, I liked the "isolated" feel of the previous games, this one has a more "regal" feel to it, the town seems a little "too" civilized, while the previous games had villages in isolated locations.

I was a bit disappointed that I got dumped into a room in a castle this time around rather than being given my own house. "Expanding" my room but not having it be reflected outside is pretty lame.

Roubjon

Wait.

For some reason I just remembered that I haven't actually seen the opening animation. I might be crazy, but... I could have sworn the game immediately jumped to the start menu?

Huhhhhh.

If you skip the logos when you boot up the game it ends up skipping the opening animation as well.

Lumyst

I was a bit disappointed that I got dumped into a room in a castle this time around rather than being given my own house. "Expanding" my room but not having it be reflected outside is pretty lame.

Yep, the previous games felt like you owned the house and lived in it as you saw fit, living in it alone should you choose, with the whole thing to yourself (here's your house, you have to work the land to earn your keep), this one has you sleeping next door to a dragon, next door to butlers, with a shop in front...and it's really Arthur's place anyways. Plus the whole "moving around your crafting stuff" looks awckward and things just don't seem to fit together correctly. But...maybe I'll try putting the forge on top of the windmill to spice things up. It's kind of funny how even though it's just a videogame, it "feels" kind of like you're "borrowing" the house temporarily instead of feeling like you own it yourself.

ronito

Well, of course Hashimoto was referring to Japanese young males (he even said that some housewives play the game too, interestingly). But the reason I like this series is because it reminds me of the joyous harmony of characters getting along on an adventure, the same feeling I got watching Anime as a kid (plus it's a great time killer). The daily life interspersed with fantasy, the heroes finding themselves saving the world, not by choice but by circumstance.

Well I hope that he realizes that the demographic is changing. Certainly for Harvest Moon: A new beginning it was very different than usual. And I think that's going to translate to different demographic for RF4. I know my wife is now playing her first Rune Factory. I really hope it sells well.

Lumyst

I like to think that my discovering the series this year added one extra tick mark to the sales that otherwise wouldn't be there, and it's owed to the word of mouth that came from NeoGAF (and I'm a pawn to Hashimoto's plan, because I also got Harvest Moon 3D and am probably going to be looking into Hometown Story.)

edit: Ah, so ronito, about the demographic that may find the game attractive changing. So the question would be whether or not the more heavily "otaku" elements of the series would be offputting to a wider audience? I think it's a matter of why the people play the games though, it's an addictive adventure with lovable characters, so people won't necessarily be playing the game to look at female character designs, or think that that is the point of the games. I think the intent was for the Harvest Moon series to gain new players from the young male demographic (the whole "A Fantasy Harvest Moon" thing), so it's interesting if the Harvest Moon demographic ended up going to the series, or who knows, maybe some of the Animal Crossing players would be interested in Rune Factory.

Milamber

*something something* medieval times *something something* marriageable age *something something* much younger than now *something something* I fail to see the problem.

Lumyst

I've made it this far without being avatar quoted despite talking about playing games for the characters rather than the character designs.
(In all seriousness, Fiora kicks ass.)

I like to think that my discovering the series this year added one extra tick mark to the sales that otherwise wouldn't be there, and it's owed to the word of mouth that came from NeoGAF (and I'm a pawn to Hashimoto's plan, because I also got Harvest Moon 3D and am probably going to be looking into Hometown Story.)

edit: Ah, so ronito, about the demographic that may find the game attractive changing. So the question would be whether or not the more heavily "otaku" elements of the series would be offputting to a wider audience? I think it's a matter of why the people play the games though, it's an addictive adventure with lovable characters, so people won't necessarily be playing the game to look at female character designs, or think that that is the point of the games. I think the intent was for the Harvest Moon series to gain new players from the young male demographic (the whole "A Fantasy Harvest Moon" thing), so it's interesting if the Harvest Moon demographic ended up going to the series, or who knows, maybe some of the Animal Crossing players would be interested in Rune Factory.

Honestly I feel like Rune Factory is Harvest Moon auteur Yoshifumi Hashimoto's pet project.

He's always been the lead designer / most visible representative when it comes to the Rune Factory series. Everything always filters through him.

So when we're dealing with the "questionable stuff" / increasing focus on otaku elements in the Rune Factory series, we have to ask if Mr. Hashimoto meant anything by it, or if his focus is on something else entirely. Personally I'm of the opinion that it's not even a concern for Neverland and the rest of the staff at Marvelous AQL. They just tell Mr. Hashimoto "Make what you like!" and he goes wherever the wind takes him...apparently he does something right because sales of this latest Rune Factory have been quite strong.

It's interesting that the series has expanded to a very diverse fanbase. You have Japanese otakus to elementary-school girls in the USA to grown men posting on enthusiast gaming forums to middle-aged women all clamoring for this game. But I don't think the emphasis is on "trying to rope in" a specific audience. I think Rune Factory is a series that grows and experiments organically. It's found a comfortable, incredibly addicting niche.

Lumyst

And God bless Mr. Hashimoto, when I saw "Tame the dungeons or woo the girls, you decide your future. Open-ended gameplay allows you to grow crops, flirt, fight monsters, and much more!" on the back of Frontier's case, I said out loud "What the hell am I about to play? I thought NeoGAF was recommending JRPG gems for the Wii?!?" and I found everything else was just as addictive. So people can pick and choose why they play the game, or just enjoy the medley of activities without thinking too much about it. I'd do well to simply enjoy as well, haha

Eusis

On that note, I sort of wonder how different Frontier and 4 are. I got the original and Frontier and would like to at least get through Frontier sometime. 1 I suppose might be useful for Frontier being the only two entires I know for sure are linked.

Lumyst

I played 1 after playing Frontier, the tone is different in the two games, Frontier has a more lighthearted, naughty tone and 1 seems to have a more "mature acting" Raguna. If you want to laugh and have tons of fun all the while playing a satisfying RPG, Frontier is the one to play first! 1 is good too for the RPG aspect, but I found the naughty playfulness of Frontier to be wonderful as an initiation to the Rune Factory experience (and it has a great last boss song).

Milamber

They should take what they have learned and go back to the WiiU for a full 3D RF with multiplayer dungeons and a whole Island just for friend farming and showing off trophy spouses.

And fuck that runey system.

ronito

On that note, I sort of wonder how different Frontier and 4 are. I got the original and Frontier and would like to at least get through Frontier sometime. 1 I suppose might be useful for Frontier being the only two entire I know for sure are linked.

To me RF1 was a bit of an experiment.

Frontier is the best Harvest Moon experience and I think the best RF game....that is until the Runeys destroy it. Frontier is awesome, so long as you can get what you want done before the runeys ruin it for you (and they will)

Lumyst

And fuck that runey system.

I resorted to making hand drawn charts and graphs and allocation ratios in order to raise my decimated populations to vibrancy (as epic as that is for an engineering student, it's not for the feint of heart).

vareon

I kind of forgot the importance of Runeys in Frontier. I didn't play that long because I had to left my Wii.

As for RF4, just finished an in-game day within my lunch break. Collecting material stones since I want to upgrade my room. I really don't like that it's pretty hard to align furnitures and tools, my room is a mess right now.

Eusis

Oh, yeah, what sort of things should I hold on to and what should I sell? I grabbed a bunch of junk in that dungeon, but I want to get money fast to buy tools to clear out that lot, and unless selling off a bunch of weeds did the trick I'm going to want to look into something other than just waiting for the turnips to grow.

Milamber

Oh, yeah, what sort of things should I hold on to and what should I sell? I grabbed a bunch of junk in that dungeon, but I want to get money fast to buy tools to clear out that lot, and unless selling off a bunch of weeds did the trick I'm going to want to look into something other than just waiting for the turnips to grow.

Immediately going into leveling your seeds asap, always worked for me in RF3.

You'll get the basic tools through requests, don't waste money buying them.

Noi

Mmm, I hate to constantly be the negative note in the thread, but I gotta share my feelings on this. Covering it in spoilers so people who don't care to read up on the end of the game.

...That's it? I apparently beat the game a moment ago, and I'm really dissapointed at how the game ends in a total wimper. The "final boss" is kind of a joke and is totally underwhelming when compared to any of the other bosses in the series. Hell, you can beat the story in one in-game month due to how short it is, and it doesn't even tie other game mechanics into it like how RF3 puts your wife in danger at the end of the game.

I'm not the reviewing type, but I'm a bit disillusioned with how this game turned out. The core game is pretty much RF3 with a few tweeks, but the setting, characters and now story have been kind of a let down. I might go so far as to say that Oceans was a more interesting game. Mmm.

Mmm, I hate to constantly be the negative note in the thread, but I gotta share my feelings on this. Covering it in spoilers so people who don't care to read up on the end of the game.

Are you saying this because you saw credits? Because if you didn't get through the winter dungeon and beyond, that isn't the end of the story.

Noi

Are you saying this because you saw credits? Because if you didn't get through the winter dungeon and beyond, that isn't the end of the story.

Aha, thanks. I had a feeling there had to be more to it than that, but the game even does a
fakeout credits scene
which is a tad misleading. I'll press on then.

gah trying to beat black 2 before pokemans out, this really did come out at a bad time. Luckily its a pretty chill, no rush game. Are there more than 1 bag upgrade? I still think i need more inventory.

Lumyst

Lots of my gaming time is coming during breaks at school, I'm so glad I discovered portable gaming! I'm mostly trying to play through RF2 at the moment so I'm only dabbling through RF4. RF2 is taking wayyyyyyy longer than I thought it would. It's interesting how they do the recipe learning in RF2 (taking little quizzes with a teacher) but I can see that they said "screw it, just give them recipe bread instead" in 3 and 4, maybe so that you don't get everything at once (perhaps that's to incentivize people to go and try out a new recipe as soon as they learn it?) What's neat is that you sort of learn "why" weird ingredients like "Giant's Fingernail" are used in recipes when the teacher explains it in RF2, instead of having to go "huh? Why's there a magic crystal and a wolf fang in this?"

massoluk

Banned
God damn, as said before I took a break from dungeon crawling and just focus on forging and farming. Now I'm way overpowered, I just spammed my attack until the boss die, no strategy whatsoever. I think I just hilariously orlandu'ed myself.

Milamber

Lots of my gaming time is coming during breaks at school, I'm so glad I discovered portable gaming! I'm mostly trying to play through RF2 at the moment so I'm only dabbling through RF4. RF2 is taking wayyyyyyy longer than I thought it would. It's interesting how they do the recipe learning in RF2 (taking little quizzes with a teacher) but I can see that they said "screw it, just give them recipe bread instead" in 3 and 4, maybe so that you don't get everything at once (perhaps that's to incentivize people to go and try out a new recipe as soon as they learn it?) What's neat is that you sort of learn "why" weird ingredients like "Giant's Fingernail" are used in recipes when the teacher explains it in RF2, instead of having to go "huh? Why's there a magic crystal and a wolf fang in this?"

I'd like to think that the restaurant owner randomly slips recipes written on paper inside the bread and the hero finds them while eating.

Lumyst

Well, there's still the moments where Micah thinks "Oh, looks like I need to gain more experience forging" and doesn't get a recipe...but perhaps the chef just knows Micah better than Micah knows himself and knows when to slip him new recipes and when to hold back (I know you are eager to learn more, young one, but we must make sure you are ready.)

God damn, as said before I took a break from dungeon crawling and just focus on forging and farming. Now I'm way overpowered, I just spammed my attack until the boss die, no strategy whatsoever. I think I just hilariously orlandu'ed myself.

Which dungeon have you beat? I've hit a slight wall due to a change up that was thrown at me lol.

massoluk

Banned
Which dungeon have you beat? I've hit a slight wall due to a change up that was thrown at me lol.

I got a major road block at the ghost mansion thing. Then I do nothing but farming and forging, made myself a spear and new set of armor, and upgraded everything to level 10, then I just plowed through everything.

Top Bottom