• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 |OT|

Wow, I forgot I even preordered this on Amazon when XSEED announced their 2013 lineup back in... March? Oh well, should have my copy on Wednesday.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Man, RF and HM bachelors always look like shit. And the one guy that DIDN'T look like a kid/woman/rabbit wasn't even romanceable:

Rune_Factory_3_19mid.jpg

:'(

Carlos was the best : (

Just want a game where Carlos, Carmen, and an assortment of head accessories go out on adventures.

Really? I actually love the visuals. I'll always have such a soft spot for pre-renders. Do you not like Bravely Default's visual style either?
I love BD style, it's chibi done right, plus it looks like a 3DS game. I don't have a problem with RF4 style either, I just hate how it looks like a DS game, a poor effort on Marvelous part.

QvQnYzU.jpg
7TtfiiX.jpg

Nrvl9ci.jpg
3zpta0V.jpg

vareon

Nice OT, thanks! My game got delayed for a few days but I can take it. A few days is nothing compared to the last four months or so.

Roubjon

I've never played a Rune Factory game before, but I loved Harvest Moon: Back to Nature and am a fan of action RPGs. I really like the look of this too; the animations are bouncy and nice. Hopefully this game delivers because it's already shipped from Amazon.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Never played RF before, but I see that it has waifus and you can have multiple. Suddenly super interested.

ohlawd

Thanks a lot for the "New to Rune Factory?" section.

I'm pretty excited for this; the girls look great imo. I'll go for Clorica. Or Margaret.

Decisions, decisions.

Count me in the "Never played a RF before, but want to try 4 out" camp. Hopefully, I can snag a copy at Gamestop tomorrow without a pre-order.

Midou

Only skimmed the thread, but I loved RF3, have not read much on this, is it generally accepted as equal to or greater than?

GeekyDad

I love BD style, it's chibi done right, plus it looks like a 3DS game. I don't have a problem with RF4 style either, I just hate how it looks like a DS game, a poor effort on Marvelous part.

Yeah, I played all three of the games on DS, and I can't really tell a difference in visual quality between this one and those games. I don't hate it, but I do think it was kind of a cop out. I would definitely prefer a "built from the ground up for 3DS" game.

Lumyst

Ok, so you're getting waifu, and your wife is getting a husbando?

I always pondered this question in preparation for RF4, "If I play as the guy and the guy marries a girl, that's a waifu, but if I play as the girl and have her marry a guy, is that a waifu, is the girl character the waifu, does that make me my own waifu? Or is he still a hasubando?"The way I see it, there's a whole pandora's box of issues if I play as Frey.

^I just found out that mine's going to arrive on Wednesday! Because it's coming from the Kentucky facility dang it! There's one in Reno that serves Northern California so I sometimes luck out but nope, not this time.

Fuck you region locking! Fuckkkkkk youuuuuuuuuuuuu

Yeah, I've never played an RF game before...but the OT had me excited to buy it. Then it's NA only.

I still can't fucking fathom why there's region locks on the 3DS. Why would they go backwards like that.

ohlawd

but if I play as the girl and have her marry a guy, is that a waifu

Nah that doesn't make sense. Your playable character married a guy so he can't be a waifu.

is the girl character the waifu

You're projecting yourself upon your playable character. Gender doesn't matter. Scratch this one off the list.

does that make me my own waifu?

We'll have to get rid of the man your playable character married. This is like masturbating. You'll be your own husbando.

Or is he still a hasubando?

BINGO.

Kirie

Only skimmed the thread, but I loved RF3, have not read much on this, is it generally accepted as equal to or greater than?

Better. I'm pretty biased as I think the game is leagues better than RF3 (helps there's a female protagonist, I enjoy playing my own gender and such) but from my friends and others I've talked to, they all think it's an improvement as well. The characters, story, and everything is just so much better.

There are a few nitpicks I have, mainly with the sub-event system and how random it is. Can be frustrating to activate events, and that really sucks when you're trying to actually settle down in marriage.

Also not sure if many of you know, but there's only one bachelorette with a "reverse" proposal. Meaning in her marriage sub-event that you have to activate to get married, she'll propose to you rather than the other way around. Everyone else you have to give a ring to and propose during the event. All of the bachelors have reverse proposals during their marriage event (you can turn them down and propose to them later on if you want though).

Lumyst

I still can't decide which girl to go for.

Obviously you go for the one that the dialogue or story suggests that the main character would want to go for. (And he certainly doesn't go for the dainty girly types. He'd probably go for the elf or the butler, or the tomboy, but I'll have to spend some time with the game to verify this.)

Noi

I have to say, there's no immediate bachelorette that appeals to me visually like in RF3, Frontier and Tides (Raven, Selphy/Cinammon and Mikoto/Elena). I guess you could consider that a good thing, but it only makes things that much harder.

Also, this is coming out tomorrow? Kinda sneaky, gonna have to see if I can squeeze it into my budget.

Never played these games before, but it seems interesting. I had no idea they were ARPGs.

No same-sex stuff, I assume. Not that I would have a problem playing as a girl but, man... those bachelors are pretty underwhelming.

I'll have to keep this in mind for sure. I'm intrigued to dive into a new series.

I'm actually really interested in getting this, but I'd probably play too much Pokemon Y once that comes out, and end up abandoning Rune Factory...

What do you guys think? Should I download this via eShop and just play the heck out of it for the next week and a half, or wait and get it after my Pokemon obsession dies down a bit?

P.S. This would also be my first Rune Factory game. I've been interested in trying out the franchise for years, but never got around to it.

Lumyst

What do you guys think? Should I download this via eShop and just play the heck out of it for the next week and a half, or wait and get it after my Pokemon obsession dies down a bit?

If it's like previous games in the series, if it clicks and you get into the game, you'll get into the game (that's what happened when I innocently began playing Frontier this year), and it'll be a long one at that. So it'd probably be fair to wait until after Pokemon and you have time to give the game a fair bit of your attention :) Or maybe I dare you to get it now and potentially like it sooo much that it takes precedence over Pokemon (of course, if your feelings towards Pokemon are the same as mine towards Rune Factory, then our own respective games will take precedence over others, and if I were to get Pokemon then I would "shelve" it for later, which is what might happen if you get Rune Factory, you may shelve it for later in preference for Pokemon.)

vareon

I'm actually really interested in getting this, but I'd probably play too much Pokemon Y once that comes out, and end up abandoning Rune Factory...

P.S. This would also be my first Rune Factory game. I've been interested in trying out the franchise for years, but never got around to it.

Not sure if you can "play the heck out of" Rune Factory in a week and a half, but as RF5 is yet to be announced, this might be your only RF fix for a while.

Lumyst

How does the passage of time work in this? Is there a set goal you have to accomplish by X, or is it more open than that?

In general, the main stories in the previous games can be completed at your leisure. (Rune Factory 1 had a moment where a certain dungeon was only open for a certain time, and if you missed it...you'd have to wait a year to get to it again. But I didn't miss it, in fact, I had a month of in game time to prepare to conquer it, and it was an incentive to try the other stuff in the game in the month ahead.) Time is mostly for village/social events/holidays, birthdays, growing crops, the seasons for crops, etc. But what I found in previous games is that everything is connected in a way that you will inevitably "dabble in all things" by the time the story is complete, the promise of "dungeons and bosses to beat, armor to forge, and a story to finish" really lured me in to trying a new type of game that I otherwise wouldn't have. RF1 and 2 require farming in order to progress in dungeons, I don't know if 4 is the same.

Top Bottom