• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 |OT|

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Come back in 11 and a half hours. That's just how third party eshop releases work on the 3DS.

Wii U has had a couple midnight third party releases though so it's not set in stone over there.

Lumyst

Doesn't this game use midi music again :p I hope they did the whole magical "get the girls together to cheer on the hero with song" thing again though for the last boss. I remember that with the SMTIV music CD I got with the preorder it was ackward hearing midi-ish music coming out of my CD player. (I don't know how the music is in this game though. Just speculating)

Busaiku

What the heck, Gamestop doesn't even have a ship date on this.
I was probably gonna get into this first too, oh well.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What the heck, Gamestop doesn't even have a ship date on this.
I was probably gonna get into this first too, oh well.

All my buddies getting a retail copy had theirs ship from amazon yesterday. It's definitely out October 1st.

Any similarity in this game to something such as say Animal Crossing? I've heard it mentioned before, but I'm not really seeing it looking at the OP.

Busaiku

All my buddies getting a retail copy had theirs ship from amazon yesterday. It's definitely out October 1st.

Don't think I've ever gotten XSEED games from Gamestop before, so I dunno how it works with them.
Only got it this time cause I was hoping to pick up both at the same time.

Any similarity in this game to something such as say Animal Crossing? I've heard it mentioned before, but I'm not really seeing it looking at the OP.

You can get a really relaxing vibe from it.

You're free to fish, garden, make friends, attend festivals. Whatever you feel like. But add marriage and children and cooking and crafting and fighting. Subtract cataloguing. Turn to a new day at your preferred pace.

So they have certain similarities, and a fan of one series may be attracted to the other. But it's not a guaranteed love.

jackal27

Banned
I've always wanted to get into this series, but the character designs are very unappealing to me.

They weren't appealing to me either. Not at all, but now I love the games despite that.

I would say absolutely. I totally get the same vibes from Rune Factory as I get from Animal Crossing. Both chill, both fairly open-ended, very relationship driven, super relaxing. I love both so much for almost the exact same reasons.

Noi

Don't think I've ever gotten XSEED games from Gamestop before, so I dunno how it works with them.

Gamestop is generally safe if you pre-order, but I'm not sure how it's gonna go for me cause I had no idea it was coming out tomorrow until a few hours ago. Just gonna waltz in to my closest one and see if they have any copies in stock.

Edit: There should really be a link to the character page of the website in the OP. None of the new bachelorettes do much for me visually, but the voice clips are nudging me in the right direction. Not!Saber's voice doesn't match what I thought she sounded like in my head.

jackal27

Banned

I remember when I tried to buy Retro Game Challenge at launch it took them like 1 or 2 more days to get their copy in. I was steamed.

However, I did buy The Last Story at launch and had no issues.

Also, I'm very good friends with our Game Stop's general manager. I asked him today if they'll have it tomorrow and he said they would, to the best of his knowledge.

OceanBlue

MH3U took up the last of the space on my SD card, so I have to wait for a new one to come in (Wednesday) before I can start playing. Ah well, so excited! Now begins the month of no money!

Lumyst

^Aw, I was hoping Clorica would be like Karina from RF3. I'm about to make the marriage decision for Micah in RF3 to continue the story, and even though I'll have him marry Shara the default, if I were playing the game beyond getting done with the story I'd totally have him waifu Karina, it's so funny how she flirts with Micah but through parentheses in the dialogue, like she's fantasizing about Micah but holding back.

Xedah66

Amazon shipped mine yesterday. Now I wait for the special ups end of day delivery. When they say it's coming by the end of the day they mean it :'(

Thoraxes

Remember the nicknames, guys (from XSEED TWITTER):

NBg8ZXN.jpg

CaptainMoose

Neo Member
Pretty excited to pick up my preorder even though I've never played RF before. I've had the Wii one sitting in my backlog for a long time but never get to it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Unfortunately, no. But there is a "sprite swap" feature which is unlocked after you beat the 2nd arc that lets you swap your sprite to the other main character (and other characters if you want.) I made a video demonstrating it last year (in the description it tells you the details): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ERQtQvdUSM
Thank you. I think I will play female and sprite swap then. Question: How long does it take to get to this point? Does it cost in-game currency to do this? It changes your voice/appearance/everything? Can you change back if you like? Otherwise it is permanent if you want it to be (sorry, lot of Q's)

Cool that they did this. A compromise like this is way better than having no options at all.

If it's like previous games in the series, if it clicks and you get into the game, you'll get into the game (that's what happened when I innocently began playing Frontier this year), and it'll be a long one at that. So it'd probably be fair to wait until after Pokemon and you have time to give the game a fair bit of your attention :) Or maybe I dare you to get it now and potentially like it sooo much that it takes precedence over Pokemon (of course, if your feelings towards Pokemon are the same as mine towards Rune Factory, then our own respective games will take precedence over others, and if I were to get Pokemon then I would "shelve" it for later, which is what might happen if you get Rune Factory, you may shelve it for later in preference for Pokemon.)
Hm. I guess I'll wait for for my Pokemon fever to die down a little bit before I head into Rune Factory. I wouldn't want to do a disservice what seems like a really fun game, by shelving it almost immediately after getting it

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: There should really be a link to the character page of the website in the OP. None of the new bachelorettes do much for me visually, but the voice clips are nudging me in the right direction. Not!Saber's voice doesn't match what I thought she sounded like in my head.
I'm surprised I missed that, it's added now.

You used Photobucket, op? I knew the game is never going mainstream, but shame on you, op, shame. >=[
I've only ever made one other OT, what is the norm?

Edit: Ruh Roh, as I look at the thread now half the images are broken. Where should I re-upload them to?
Edit2: I'm trying imgur now, if anyone has a better suggestion while I am re-uploading everything please chime in.

zigg

Man, this game had better have a good script.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Funny/RuneFactory3 (RF3 spoilers, obviously.)

And more, scattered about this page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/RuneFactory3?from=Main.RuneFactory3

Maybe I should just play RF3 again. :lol

Edit2: I'm trying imgur now, if anyone has a better suggestion while I am re-uploading everything please chime in.
imgur should be good. Here's the FAQ on image posting.

Alright we should be good now. Let that be a lesson to me.

i guess we can't really expect reviews today?
I plan to add any Reviews to the OT as they come in but I don't know if many(any?) sites are going to give it the time of day. According to Metacritic, only 10 sites bothered to do reviews for RF3.

An idea I had if it doesn't get many professional reviews after a week or two would be to ask members here for impressions that could be added to the OP. Neogaf impressions are far more valuable to me than any review site anyways.

Kirie

Thank you. I think I will play female and sprite swap then. Question: How long does it take to get to this point? Does it cost in-game currency to do this? It changes your voice/appearance/everything? Can you change back if you like? Otherwise it is permanent if you want it to be (sorry, lot of Q's)

Cool that they did this. A compromise like this is way better than having no options at all.

Hmm, it's hard to really pinpoint how long it takes to finish the 2nd arc, because it's highly user dependant. Took me about 40-50 hours myself, but could take someone else less time depending on how they play. (Which difficulty, if they focus on farming/relationships instead of plot, etc.)

It costs prince/ss points, which is a new currency in RF4 that you get from fighting monsters, winning festivals, talking to villagers, and more. You have orders which you can use to buy and build up the town, and the sprite swap feature is one of the orders you can end up getting. (The orders system is a LOT of fun and adds a lot a depth into the game!) The sprite swap feature costs only 50pp each time you swap, so it's really cheap. You can change it at any time if you have enough points! :) No restrictions at all.

If you sprite swap to the other main character (say you start as Frey and swap to Lest) It'll change your in-game sprite, portrait AND voice. The only thing it doesn't change is pronouns, so the characters will still call you she, princess, etc. If you switch to one of the marriage candidates or villagers, only your in-game sprite changes. Your portrait will still be Lest or Frey, but they will be silent. When you fight though, your character will use the character voice you switched to (say you switched to Leon, it'll have his voice in battle).

Also, after you beat the 2nd arc on one file, which you start another it'll be opened from the start, so right off the bat (after you select your name and see the intro of the game) you can switch your character over. No worries about the questions, I don't mind answering any of them at all :) Sorry for the lengthy reply and I hope this helps!

Lumyst

Took me about 40-50 hours myself, but could take someone else less time depending on how they play. (Which difficulty, if they focus on farming/relationships instead of plot, etc.)

So how long is the game overall, is it like the previous handheld games, like the console games (100+ hours)? I'm still finishing up RF2, 3, and ToD so I want to give myself a good estimate of what it'll take timewise in my schedule to finish this one.

jackal27

Banned
Super salty that there was no Rune Factory 4 mention in the October lineup of the Nintendo Direct today.

Anybody been able to pick it up yet? Nobody around me got it in store yet... All the sads...

Best Buy actually has the release date listed as next Tuesday? What's up with that?

Kirie

So how long is the game overall, is it like the previous handheld games, like the console games (100+ hours)? I'm still finishing up RF2, 3, and ToD so I want to give myself a good estimate of what it'll take timewise in my schedule to finish this one.

You can easily sink 100 hours into this game, yeah. I have almost 400 into it (I played around on a lot of different files though) and I haven't even completed the 3rd arc yet.

Also, it's up on eshop now! 10964 blocks.

Noi

Local store is getting 4 copies, two of them pre-orders. Hopefully there aren't any more RF fans in my area...

Never use Imgur, it compresses pretty much every image, no matter if it's a jpg already or not and it tends to turn png to jpg as well.

Go with Minus.com.

Top Bottom