• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 |OT|

ohlawd

played for a bit yesterday. Liked it but I gotta shelve it for now.

Can I waifu Ventuswind? Don't get me wrong. I expected myself to like Clorica and Margaret and I do but Venti is just on a whole 'nother plane.

Busaiku

The translation is awesome.
XSeed went hard.

But how in the world is this E10+ when there's profanity and alchol.

Lumyst

Just got the copy today, full color manual and they even translated the lyrics to the opening theme in the manual. Plus they even did the thing where there's a reversible cover, complete with chibi character art shown through the cut-out squares. What a treat! Thanks XSEED! (Or are they known as Marvelous now?) Now to attempt to play multiple games in parallel.

Lumyst

Ah, so I have played a little bit of RF4 and yes, I can see the criticisms about the graphics. The camera is zoomed out and it seems as though the prerendered (or are they sprite?) assets were made for a lower resolution, then scaled up (leading to blurriness). So the suspicion that DS assets were used makes sense. The DS games actually look crisp/sharp/not blurry, and unscaled (meaning no blurriness since they match the screen resolution pixel per pixel). I'd say that RF3 on the DSi XL is more pleasurable to look at! So yep, the criticism about the graphics was justified, hopefully the next RF game uses assets that match the resolution of the 3DS so that no scaling/blurriness/zoomed out camera is needed.

Noi

Yeah, it's weird. The models are technically better proportioned and more detailed than before, but the zoomed out camera makes it so you can't actually see those details very well + makes the jaggies stand out much more. It's not something totally unforgiveable and I already got used to it, but I can completely understand how someone could feel like RF3's models were better since you could actually make out the details in those.

I ran into
Raven
today. She instantly reminded me of how apathetic I am about RF4's marriage candidates compared to 3. ._.

So what exactly is required to clear the fishing request? I've pulled a ton of stuff out of the lake, including a monster huge fish, but the request box doesn't seem to be acknowledging this.

Noi

So what exactly is required to clear the fishing request? I've pulled a ton of stuff out of the lake, including a monster huge fish, but the request box doesn't seem to be acknowledging this.

The box itself never mentions it, but you need to actually deliver a fish to Vishnal. It's only mentioned in the Request details by tapping the journal on the bottom screen.

Played a little more last night (as much as my baby son would allow ha ha). This could just be me since I'm pretty familiar with how these games work, I think it's kind of silly how the game tutorials certain aspects in painful detail but then leaves you to figure out other key concepts.

I beat the first boss, however she whooped my butt in a single attack the first time. A quick trip to the blacksmith and a full set of armor + spear fixed that. I'm kind of curious if the plot of land you get at the beginning is as big as it gets. It seems kinda small in relation to the other games.

Has anyone found a calendar anywhere to check upcoming events?

Having a lot of fun getting accustom to the world. Margaret has led on that she likes vegetables and fruits so she will be easy to please.

I'm actually really looking forward to see this shitty 3D implementation.

instead of doing just layers on top of each other. it goes in and out and in and out.

escher.jpg

massoluk

Banned
I'm actually really looking forward to see this shitty 3D implementation.

I'm not one to diss a game on some lazy 3D implementation. But it's really sickening with this game. I'm not sure how they screwed this one up so bad, in particular the UI overlay. Dialog boxes have no right being BEHIND everything else on the screen.

Lumyst

There's also the usual "forced perspective" of the prerendered background and ground, but then some of the 3D models (such as the Dragon) seem to float over the prerendered background/ground. For instance, behind the Dragon is a wall and an exit to outside, but the dragon's tail seems to be long enough to stick out that exit. Not so, it sort of floats over the back wall as though the back wall were actually flat on the ground and not solid and sticking up. So what's odd is that the prerendered graphics suggest a 3D perspective, but of course they stay 2D in 3D mode. When the 3D effect is applied to 3D models, the background does not comply and the 3D effect of the models clashes with the 2D of the prerendered backgrounds. ^^There we go, that's the perfect analogy. Prerendered backgrounds give the illusion of 3D but when actual 3D is implemented with 3D models, it destroys the 3D illusion of the 2D prerendred backgrounds. It's like a person walking on a painting on the ground (I seem to remember having tons of fun with glitches in Pokemon Red to get the character to run over things/float, and loved when he would "walk over" walls of houses and over roofs like nothing was in the way).

Coupled with the blurry, scaled up prerendered backgrounds and the camera being further back to compensate, it feels tacky compared to the crispness of the DS games. But in a way, there's an SNES feel to the graphical techniques at times, like when Vishnal's showing the farm and the background turns blue, like when the airship is still while the background moves to give the illusion that the airship is moving (is that called parallex?). It's kind of...charming :)

Been thoroughly enjoying this. Initial graphics and the intro were underwhelming, but now several hours in and having a hard time stopping (I got it Monday thanks to Prime).

Dungeons and fields have nice details and look good in 3D, though I immediately noticed a couple of areas in town where the portraits seemed to fall behind the 3D scenes...sloppy. But most of the time things are fine.

For now, I seem to be repeating RF3 in favoring Chlorica and the just-encountered Dolce. As in, they are respectively a bit like sleepy Karina and later-gotten Kuruna w/sprite friend in tow. But they are all growing on me. Xiao Pi I like better than the previous "Eastern" girl Sakuya.

Voice acting is very well done. I'm using headphones specifically for this game as I don't want to miss any voice clips.

Last couple notes. Despite the forcefully slow start it is good that the quest box recognizes when you have already done what was requested earlier. And the quests per day goes up eventually, I was just allowed 3.

And finally, it is worth repeating how welcome that included color manual is.

Hmm, I'm liking this so far. I'm in love with fellow "brain fart" Amber. I'm thinking she might be important to the bigger story too, I hope. :D

Lumyst

Ah yes, I'm going to have to get right down to business, after playing through the others I've come to a ritual where I have to take all the items in the fields like weeds and bamboo and sell it. Become a "hunter gatherer" until I get enough money to buy seeds. Then buy some turnip seeds, plant turnips, watch the money go up and up, buy more seeds...love it! It all becomes second nature (oh and duh, despite what I said about the graphics, any complaints about graphics melt away once you get into the game (as is true for any game, really)). Come to think of it, fish is the only meat in the series isn't it? Maybe it's time for animal slaughter, does Harvest Moon do animal slaughter?

Lumyst

I've said before that we might be more harsh than the ESRB at times, I'd have thought Rune Factory Frontier would be rated T after all the innuendo, the bath scenes, but oh well, whatever. I guess it takes an older, more refined (dirty) mind to make the right conclusion about what the innuendo means anyways, haha

Lumyst

I wonder if it's possible to just use magic for the whole game and not touch any other weapons. Maybe I'll give that a try for the heck of it. (But I guess you can hit enemies with the magic staff otherwise.)

Noi

Has any of you had any success with getting anyone not named Forte to go adventuring with you? She's at a much higher bond level than the rest just because I can pretty much take her with me every time I go out for some free heals/have a meatshield handy.

Hatsuu

XSEED
Hmm, I don't think this is supposed to be here. :p

I think this was during the Fishing Festival. It's really nice how NPCs group up and talk with each other from time to time.

I take fault for that one. I've seen it floating around and have had quite a few folks ask about it-- despite how we work for the best localization possible, that one slipped past. I feel especially bad about it, knowing the hours I put in the game and somehow I still missed that line! Those kinds of mistakes are completely on me for not being as thorough as I thought I was being while playing. They're few and far between if there are any more, but still, they shouldn't be there at all, so I apologize if it kind of dampens anyone's experience with the game.

The good thing is that I learned a lot from handling a sizable game like RF4 and have figured out what to keep a more watchful eye of if we're ever fortunate enough to continue working on the Rune Factory series (I really would like to if there's another one)! I hope the things I learned while working on this one'll make for a much smoother ride in the future.

Oh, yeah! For that screenshot, Margaret is saying 'Forte'.

Busaiku

If one of your monsters or one of the villagers dies in battle, does that lower their friendship?
Also, do they automatically come back if they die?

Roubjon

Ugh, this wait is killing me. Friday afternoon can't come soon enough.

And woah, I had no idea a member of the localization team is on GAF. So rad. Thanks for the game man. Don't sweat it about that error, we're only human!

OceanBlue

I take fault for that one. I've seen it floating around and have had quite a few folks ask about it-- despite how we work for the best localization possible, that one slipped past. I feel especially bad about it, knowing the hours I put in the game and somehow I still missed that line! Those kinds of mistakes are completely on me for not being as thorough as I thought I was being while playing. They're few and far between if there are any more, but still, they shouldn't be there at all, so I apologize if it kind of dampens anyone's experience with the game.

The good thing is that I learned a lot from handling a sizable game like RF4 and have figured out what to keep a more watchful eye of if we're ever fortunate enough to continue working on the Rune Factory series (I really would like to if there's another one)! I hope the things I learned while working on this one'll make for a much smoother ride in the future.

Nah, I recognize that there is a ton of text in this game that would make proofreading and catching everything a daunting task. I can't imagine it dampening anyone's experience with the game. The localization has been great so far and seeing that didn't bother me at all.

carlo6529

I'm thinking of getting this. The thing is though, I've only played one rune factory, which was on the ds and I wasn't too crazy about it. I remember there not really being a lot of depth. How are the battles and everything in this game? Also how similar to harvest moon is it?

vareon

With all the months you're working on, and considering this one slipped past, I wonder how hard it is to test this game, since it has a lot of text but is easily missable if you don't take a certain path.

Anyway, still waiting for my copy tomorrow. This itch.

Hubb

I'm thinking of getting this. The thing is though, I've only played one rune factory, which was on the ds and I wasn't too crazy about it. I remember there not really being a lot of depth. How are the battles and everything in this game? Also how similar to harvest moon is it?

I am a handful of hours into the game and the battle system outside of bosses is pretty simplistic. You mash with your favorite weapon/magic and dodge attacks here and there. Bosses can be more challenging, but so far they stick to the same thing. They all have different attack patterns/moves and you basically do your best to dodge the attacks and time yours when they can't hit you. Might open up more later, I did die to the 2nd boss a few times before I got it down, so it isn't a total cake walk either.

Xedah66

Is there any chance of it being patched?

Noi

I went from Short Sword > Axe (from the second dungeon) > Dual Blades once I randomly got a pair. Stuck with Dual Blades since then cause they're still as massively overpowered as they were in 3/Tides.

Frosteey

Neo Member
My pets are like thirty times stronger than I am. Don't even know.

Level 45 dungeon on hard mode. Level 78 character. Best weapon I can possibly forge (with a little extra upgrading on top of that), second best shirt. I do like 15 damage to the boss, die in fiveish hits maybe without healing?

Either pet does 550 at least with multihit spells and could easily solo him without my help.

Flunkie

Banned
Soooooooo if I haven't played one of these before but have always been intrigued by the whole "Harvest Moon with combat" premise. So should I get RF3 or RF4?

Lumyst

Just discovered the Illustration Contest gallery and coupled with the telescopes, it's nice to see the whole world of theirs come together in a way through the dialogue! (I wonder how many times the fourth wall will be broken in this game.) Oh and I agree now with the people who wish that Venti was a bachelorette.

^RF3 isn't as expensive as it was before, and I really really liked it, obviously I haven't played through RF4 yet but RF3 was a real pleasure to play, very polished. RF3 feels like the most polished traditional RF game. It's worth the $20 (there was even a time that it cost upwards of $59.99 back in Spring...which is when I bought it).

Noi

Got Clorica to a high enough bond level to where she now joins my party. I normally use this chance to go to the menu and actually see their 3D model properly but...

BVtz5DgIUAAPCTJ.jpg

...Suddenly, I'm glad that you can't actually make out the details on the 3D models in normal play.

Top Bottom