• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race |OT| Time to get tucked and bring back the girls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain the appeal of this show?
I see it on The Soup every single week and it seems like one of the craziest and weird things on tv.

Finally decided i'd just ask in here.

It's the funniest, most ridiculous show on television. It makes fun of uber-dramatic reality competitions like Project Runway and America's Next Top Model but the show itself is really top-notch. A group of drag queens are put through hilarious challenges (putting straight guys in drag and making them walk down the runway, acting in a telenovela episode, putting on their makeup in the dark, making outfits out of garbage or candy) and eventually there's a winner.

A lot of my straight friends watch it with me every week because it's so out there and it can get really addicting. All the contestants have their own character and aesthetic (well the good ones at least) and it's fun to root for some and talk shit about some others. It also has a lot of endearing qualities which is why it's one of my favorite shows on TV.

mantidor

The appeal of the show is the appeal of Drag Queens themselves, it can be a little too much for newcomers, but you quickly realize these people are probably the most talented group of entrertainers you can get in any reality show, they basically do everything you can imagine a showbiz person should do, from singing to fashion design. It is indeed a lot of realities mixed into one.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Wow... I only find out about the dedicated thread at the very end? Shame.

Anyhow, the editing of this week's episode continued to make Roxxxy look bad and bitter, even her forced apology on stage didn't get any emphasis (she really thought she could play the producers). On the other hand, Alaska got the royal treatment, especially at the very end with her look and lip-syncing.

Jinks, my girl, was kind of disappointing. I didn't mind the look as much as the weaker performance (compared to the stellar candy couture performance). There was no energy. Plus, she was the strongest one in the courtroom but the montage didn't really highlight it as much (though for all I know, the judges are prolly looking at something entirely different).

Before coming into this episode, I thought it was going to be a toss up between Jinks and Alaska, but now I have a feeling Jinks' chances are smaller. Though Alaska is also deserving of the title, love her. Anybody but Roxxxy... If someone told me Phi Phi's bitterness and insecurity would be topped this season I wouldn't have believed them. For someone who looks so beautiful in and out of drag, she's really hard to look at.

Anyhow, how does this work again? Do the queens know who won? I believe Ru tweeted that they shot three endings again this year to avoid leaks.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Everyone suddenly pulling for Alaska is falling for the editing.
Agreed. Jinks peaked prematurely. This energy...

51Ma7hf.gif

Should have been unleashed this week. But still, with the exception of Roxxxy I'd pay to see either live. (And I really hope they come to town. Sharon Needles was amazing last year).

Anyhow, how does this work again? Do the queens know who won? I believe Ru tweeted that they shot three endings again to avoid leaks.

I think it's like last year, they shoot the reunion/finale sometime this week or next week (the rest of this season was shot almost a year ago) and they film three endings with each finalist being crowned, which kind of sucks for them because they have to pretend to be excited.

There's a live viewing party with all the queens in NYC (at least it was last year) and they find out at the same time everyone else does who the real winner is and the previous season's winner presents them with the crown, etc. etc. There's video of Sharon's real acceptance speech at last year's party floating around on YouTube.

mantidor

Agreed. Jinks peaked prematurely. This energy...

51Ma7hf.gif

Should have been unleashed this week. But still, with the exception of Roxxxy I'd pay to see either live. (And I really hope they come to town. Sharon Needles was amazing last year).

I have to agree with everything you said, maybe it was the dress, maybe the editing, or the song itself, or maybe they just wanted to even out Alaska, since Jinks has the obviously bigger fan following. They certainly want to downplay Roxxy though.

I really wished they'd released an uncut untucked special, the editing kills this show sometimes.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
There's video of Sharon's real acceptance speech at last year's party floating around on YouTube.
I had no idea videos of that event were widely available, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgbiFhOj-Q4

Not only did Raja give her the crown here (whatshernameCAMAROON was on stage too), but even the absolut rep was there to give her the cheque in front of everyone. Now compare that to the lukewarm reactions in the aired episode... eh. I felt bad for everyone, including the audience that was partly comprised of friends and family, being forced to act so surprised. I didn't even get to see Phi Phi's real expression when she lost. Instead we got that fake gracefulness. It was sorely unsatisfying.

kirblar

I had no idea videos of that event were widely available, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgbiFhOj-Q4

Not only did Raja give her the crown here (whatshernameCAMAROON was on stage too), but even the absolut rep was there to give her the cheque in front of everyone. Now compare that to the lukewarm reactions in the aired episode... eh. I felt bad for everyone, including the audience that was partly comprised of friends and family, being forced to act so surprised. I didn't even get to see Phi Phi's real expression when she lost. Instead we got that fake gracefulness. It was sorely unsatisfying.
PhiPhi knew she wasn't winning. (Roxxxy surely does too by now.)

I think it's like last year, they shoot the reunion/finale sometime this week or next week (the rest of this season was shot almost a year ago) and they film three endings with each finalist being crowned, which kind of sucks for them because they have to pretend to be excited.

There's a live viewing party with all the queens in NYC (at least it was last year) and they find out at the same time everyone else does who the real winner is and the previous season's winner presents them with the crown, etc. etc. There's video of Sharon's real acceptance speech at last year's party floating around on YouTube.
What a downer!

Croc

Banned
I just finished the last episode and was looking at Twitter to just see what people were saying and I noticed this when I searched the #dragrace tag.

I think we have a pretty idea of who's going to win.

I really want Alaska to win now. I want Sharon and Alaska to be the royal queens of drag. I'm sure they will be regardless of where Alaska places but it'd be so cool to have them make history and be the first couple to place first in their respective seasons.

I know that her being Sharon's partner has been the ultimate detriment to her getting the crown, and of course if Sharon Needles didn't exist then Alaska would have created a similar revolution for the show. Regardless it's too bad that Alaska's put under this contextual layer for everyone when the reality is that she's by FAR the fiercest queen out of the three of them. And I'm just talking fierceness. Coz that lip sync was E.PIC.

Jinkx Monsoon as a creation is entirely worthy of that crown and she ultimately deserves it more than the others, and Jinkx herself is a sweetheart and it shows in the pouring of support from Drag Race fans. However I do think that Alaska covers the appeal that Jinkx Monsoon offers while also appeasing the "glamour" side of the spectrum that finds Roxxxy Andrews appealing.

Also the fact that she's never lip synced makes her one of the two top performing queens on the show. Her and Tyra Sanchez... ew.

You know what I realized while watching the latest episode?

Roxxxy isn't a drag queen. She's a female impersonator.

Bitch, bye. Get yourself an education after your ass comes in third. I'm sure there's a community college in Orlando that would take you.

mantidor

Her "Drag is no joke" meltdown was downright embarrassing, what show do you think you are in? And as Jinks remembered her, comedians take their humor pretty damn seriously. She really became very hard to watch. Bitchiness is one thing, that level of vitriol and insecurity is something else, I do hope she snaps and grows out of it,.

royalan

Roxxxy's tears were delicious.

She reminded me of Mystique from season 2 tryin to defend her Country Realness look.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Because drag queens in courtrooms, submitting briefs, reading witnesses, and confessing the T about murdered queens --as per the script-- is serious business. Bitch, please lol. I can't even remember the last time Ru stood in front a camera reading lines with any of his queens without hamming it and camping it up.

Again, I reiterate, Roxxxy is hard to watch. I am not entertained.

I really want Alaska to win now. I want Sharon and Alaska to be the royal queens of drag. I'm sure they will be regardless of where Alaska places but it'd be so cool to have them make history and be the first couple to place first in their respective seasons.

I know that her being Sharon's partner has been the ultimate detriment to her getting the crown, and of course if Sharon Needles didn't exist then Alaska would have created a similar revolution for the show. Regardless it's too bad that Alaska's put under this contextual layer for everyone when the reality is that she's by FAR the fiercest queen out of the three of them. And I'm just talking fierceness. Coz that lip sync was E.PIC.

Jinkx Monsoon as a creation is entirely worthy of that crown and she ultimately deserves it more than the others, and Jinkx herself is a sweetheart and it shows in the pouring of support from Drag Race fans. However I do think that Alaska covers the appeal that Jinkx Monsoon offers while also appeasing the "glamour" side of the spectrum that finds Roxxxy Andrews appealing.

Also the fact that she's never lip synced makes her one of the two top performing queens on the show. Her and Tyra Sanchez... ew.
I agree with your assessment of Alaska's character, and I'd be happy if she wins. For starters, I like her story, especially since it almost spans the show's run. She's been auditioning for the show since season 2 (while Sharon auditioned once got in on her first try), and every season they play her tape during the audition episodes... because they've always been entertaining!

Had she got in before Needles, she would've had an easier time, definitely. Before Sharon, the bar of off-color humour and camp was set by the ever-so-promising, always under-delivering Pandora Boxx. So she blew it up without even trying, and set it too high for all the funny, campy queens.

Alaska walked in with big shoes to fill, and with everyone expecting her to ride the coattails of Needles, but she proved everyone wrong, myself included. She's just as witty as Sharon if not more, her acting is just as good if not better, her drag is different, her humour is different, etc etc. She just proved that she's unique.

Anyhow, back on topic. If we're going with the fiercer performer, on and off the show, I'd go with Jinks. The girl dances, sings live, and is just a ball of energy (ironic, considering the narcolepsy). But if we're going with the stronger character/personality, most entertaining to watch on the show (or off in live interviews), then I'd go with Alaska.

Bottom line: anybody but Roxxxy. pls.

Edit:

Speaking of Alaska and Jinks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWh7Yl_g63Q

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Was there no untucked this week?

I think another thing with Alaska that's easy to forget is she definitely had an influence on Sharon's drag. Alaska has a pretty strong background in comedy drag from performing in Trannyshack and having Chi Chi La Rue as a drag mother. When Sharon first started her whole schtick was being a weird hipster prostitute, but she reinvented herself as the beautiful, spooky and stupid Sharon Needles we all know now and I know Alaska had an influence on that.

I'd be happy with either Jinkx or Alaska, but having a drag royal couple would be really cute...

kirblar

I think another thing with Alaska that's easy to forget is she definitely had an influence on Sharon's drag. Alaska has a pretty strong background in comedy drag from performing in Trannyshack and having Chi Chi La Rue as a drag mother. When Sharon first started her whole schtick was being a weird hipster prostitute, but she reinvented herself as the beautiful, spooky and stupid Sharon Needles we all know now and I know Alaska had an influence on that.

I'd be happy with either Jinkx or Alaska, but having a drag royal couple would be really cute...
Wasn't Sharon really huge on shock value?

Detox, Raja and Lineysha look stunning.

The final three all look basic but out of the three Alaska's the only one that's pulling her look off. The other two are just... bleh. Tired hooker and giant owl..

Penny Tration's outfit is like the most horrifying thing I've ever seen. Kill it with fire :0

cory64

I've never seen Roxxxy look so Boxxxy. Wow.
At least they aren't their coronation outfits, those better be amazing.

Alaska is SERVING skimpy hot mess realness
i0yyueYfDUAqm.png

this needs to update because we still need to see Ivy, Serena, Sharon, Chad, Tyra, and anyone else that's there.

Penny Tration needs to stop getting her looks from the dumpster behind Nina Flowers house. At first I thought she WAS Nina and was scared because Nina is so flawless looking... I thought maybe she was drunk or on drugs or something. Seriously though, who let her out looking like that? Dreadful.

Detox looks really incredible. I wish she had done something like this on the show.

Lear

Detox looks amazing. It's a shame she was so lacklustre on the show, because she can be absolutely flawless.

Penny, girl, that is not your look. Go home.

SaintZ

So... nobody watched the finale? lol. Can't say I'm surprised by the outcome.

I don't like that Ru awaits until the reunion to choose the winner because those episodes are boring IMO.

Anyway, it was a great season. I wonder when season 6 starts...

cory64

I hope next season they just cut to a live crowning at the end of the actual finale episode. That also makes the top 3 much more interesting at the reunion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom