• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race |OT| Time to get tucked and bring back the girls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

as far as the PR queens go:
Nina > Yara > Lineysha = Alexis > Kenya > Jessica > Madame LaQueer

Alexis was a decent contender in the challenges but I couldn't with her sour attitude and pageant-literality, so that puts her around Lineysha's level imo.
(7 in 5 seasons is a bit overrepresented, no? Not that most of them didn't deserve to be there)
Alexis blew up her Snatch Game though.

royalan

Ok, now that I've slept on it. Outside of Alaska and Jinkx this really was the worst Snatch Game, wasn't it? I think Ru needs to include "THERE WILL BE A SNATCH GAME!" in the intro packet for the queens, because none of them seemed prepared. Odd, because along with the music video challenge, The Snatch Game is something you KNOW is coming every season.

My thoughts on the queens:

Jinkx: She did THAT. Her Little Edie was amazing, and even if you didn't know who Little Edie was you got the funny from her performance because she COMMITTED. Hell, half of those queens criticizing her choice as being too obscure need a slap in the mouth for doing well-known celebs and STILL not being able to bring them to life (Coco, Ivy). I'm liking Jinkx more each week. I thought she'd be one of the first sent home, but more and more we're seeing her confidence and how aware she is. She's a lot sharper than she comes off; the girls should be afraid.

Alaska: I know Alaska from college and was there when she started doing drag, so I am rooting for her. That said, I am a little disappointed that she hasn't been shining more until now. She was amazing in the Snatch Game, and she's always hilarious in the commentary, so we're starting to see the type of queen she is. I just need her to come all the way out of her shell before it's too late, because she really is a fantastic queen in person.

Detox: I like Detox, I really do, but she wasn't my favorite this week. We've seen several queens get in trouble with Snatch Game in the past for doing celebs they respected too much to really make funny, so I was surprised she fell into such an obvious trap. Ke$ha HAS a big personality, and her songs have a ton of recognizable one-liners to fall back on for a joke. Ke$ha COULD have been funny, but Detox didn't seem willing to go there. Oh well. Also, I didn't like her attitude in Untucked. Lineysha is not the first queen to get a little worn down and homesick, but ultimately she WANTED to be there. Detox just came off as an insecure bully because she knew she sucked that week. Also, outside of the trick with her jaw her lipsync wasn't THAT good. I don't think it would be enough to save her against a queen dead SET on sending HER home (Manila, JuJubee, and even LaTRICE would have sent her packing). So she better cool it with the ego and step it up.

Kelptneysha: Definitely one of the fishiest queens ever, but I wasn't surprised at her elimination. I love my Puerto Rican queens, but they need to be more prepared to compete in the actual challenges, because the language barrier excuse is more than a little tired at this point. And, besides that, Yara Sofia proved that you don't have to have a strong grasp of the language as long as you really commit to the challenge. Lineysha didn't. It was her time.

Ivy Winters: I don't know her. And that's really not shade, because Ivy really didn't do a single thing worth commenting on this week. Just DEVOID, is all I can say. I've been wanting to call her this season's Morgan McMichaels, but damnit at least Morgan has a personality. "Fix your MUG..."

Roxxxy: I was starting to get bored of Roxxxy, but she turned it out this week. Just like Little Edie, Tamar really isn't that well-known a celebrity. But, just like Jinkx, Roxxxy knew to turn her personality UP to bring the comedy. She was loud and obnoxious just like Tamar, and it was hilarious even if you didn't know who she was. This was a good week for her, since I was starting to think she was R.O.P. Obvious Top 3 material here.

Alyssa: She bombed Snatch Game, but she's another queen that's growing on me. Even though she's getting the "I'm not here to make friends!" edit, she comes off as really down to earth and funny, and I think she's my favorite make-up this season. Her reactions to shade in the commentary always have me dying, and she had my favorite line of the week: "!? With that cheap ass wig on your head? This is HUMAN, mama."

Jade: Jade is another one that, like Alaska, I WANT to root for, but she's just not giving me what I feel is there. I just SENSE that she's a better queen than she's been showing us. Her Taylor Swift wasn't that great, but it wasn't offensively bad like the worst offenders. Every week she does just well enough to be safe. She did give me a good Kii in this week's Untucked though. Little Jade was making you think twice for trying to come for ha! She was going in on Alyssa, bless her heart. Gave me season 2 Tati teas - don't think just because she's fishy she's a pushover.

Coco: Lord...Coco annoys the ever-living shit out of me. Those contacts got to go. She talks too much, and she can never back any of the shit she says up. And if THAT was the Janet she does 6 nights a week she needs to stand by her word and quit drag because THAT shit was a mess. She looked like a little boy in a Rhythm Nation costume, and I'm GLAD Alyssa clocked her on her ORANGE. ASS. MAKEUP. I'm surprised that this feud she has with Alyssa is the big drama of the season, because Coco hasn't shown herself to be on Alyssa's level in ANY area (and Alyssa isn't even top bitch in the competition right now). Her drag is dusty, she bombs all the challenges (and just lucks out when someone bombs harder than her), and really got on my last nerve coming for Jinkx's Little Edie during Snatch Game. For someone who's allegedly a seasoned drag vet her ignorance is astounding. She's this season Shangela in that she'll stay around much longer than she deserves to because she brings drama, but damnit at least Shangela was funny and knew how to perform well in a challenge.

CanNOT stand Coco Mantrese; she's obnoxious as hell and she's contributed some of the most USELESS talking heads on this show. Everything she says reeks of ignorance and snubbery, and the way she decides to come for Jinkx or Alaska is astounding to me because she's unequivocally worse than they are at every drag facet; her makeup is ghoulish, her charm is non-present, her fashion sense is about as dynamic as a wet tarp (You went as Nicki Minaj this week? Really?), and she's consistently demonstrated a completely FUCKED perception of what drag is.

It boggles my mind that Mantrese is still kicking on this show but Lineysha Sparx is out. The latter fucked up that challenge, but her drag polish is on an eternally higher plane than Mantrese could ever wish to reach.

Alyssa cracks me up because she's ditzy and kinda wacked, but the second she and Mantrese try to read Jinkx for being a theatrical/comedy queen is the moment I drop the love. If you think drag is first and foremost about "looking sickening" then you don't know what drag is, and you shouldn't participate.

My Top 3 are Alaska, Detox and Jinkx. Finally the funny queens are taking charge this season!

EDIT: ROYTOY! We need to have extensive Drag Race conversations every week. So happy that we have some fans from POP GAF here. <3

cory64

Jinkx seems like the most genuinely nice person to have ever been on the show (or at least of the edits we've gotten for everyone), so trying to belittle her just makes you look terrible.
^As does being ignorant of the full spectrum of drag

I think the only reason Detox was in the bottom two this week over Ivy was to shake her up. Ru sending her a message to bring her A-game every week as she always says.

Coco was funny in Untucked, you know she could've just springboarded off of everything Jade was saying about Alyssa but held it back as much as she could because it would make herself look bad - right now it looks like Alyssa is out on her own and if she lets that get to her, it could impact her chances in the competition.

I think Jade and Ivy are really weak actually. Jade seems a little unpolished despite being super-fishy, or potentially so, she's feminine out of drag, so if she got her look on point she could be really good - Her make-up was a mess this week. Ivy is so blah, I've never seen her do anything - look or personality-wise that has made her stand out. Call her a cab, she's off next hopefully.

Alaska is funny in the interviews, she's got a wit but she's not translating that on the runway, I want to see her WERK!

Jinkx is great, but not as polished as a lot of the others - she's like Pandora, funny and kooky but not glamorous and professional enough to win, one of my favourites though, will be sad to see her go.

mantidor

I love how transparent the show is about how it barely has any rules and is completely edited and staged for dramatic effect. Eliminate two queens at once? Sure, no one will miss those two anyway.

I hate it to be honest. It's as you say completely transparent and predictable, the moment the girls piled on Jinks I knew immediately she was going to win. The editing made both Honey and Vivianne to look absolutely boring, bu I doubt in reality it was like that. I know is reality TV but it gets to a point it does a disservice to some of the queens and makes others that aren't that good to be passable, and I'm sure there is enough actual drama, when it gets fabricated with dramatic music and slow motion camera it becomes a joke.

Hated the Detox lip sync but it's her thing, Lynesha was better on the lip sync but overall Detox is a better entertainer.

I don't know, I don't think editing had anything to do with Vivianne and Honey coming across as boring, I think they just are. While I will agree the show's edits have become pretty egregious (and lazy) this season, the one thing the show doesn't do is try and make a queen seem more boring than she is. If they offer any sort of hook, whether its humor or talent or just being a bitch, the producers will latch onto it and run it into the ground.

Anyway, this episode was meh. Glad Jinkx pulled out Little Edie, because it was the only highlight of this season's Snatch Game. I'm still having trouble getting into this season.

SaintZ

Just watched both the episode and Untucked and maybe i'm the minority but I don't like The Snatch Game challenge that much. It's just really slow and I don't find it that funny with the exception of some queens. This time only Jinkx and Alaska were remotely funny to me. The rest was bland (Coco, Jade) or painful to look at (Alyssa, Detox, Lineysha).

They also edit this show like ANTM. You could tell Jade, Alyssa and Coco were going to be safe because during Ru's mentoring session they weren't shown on camera. At least that Untucked was great.

The next one to go should be Ivy. She's just a non entity which is sad because out of drag he's the cutest there *.*

Just watched both the episode and Untucked and maybe i'm the minority but I don't like The Snatch Game challenge that much. It's just really slow and I don't find it that funny with the exception of some queens. This time only Jinkx and Alaska were remotely funny to me. The rest was bland (Coco, Jade) or painful to look at (Alyssa, Detox, Lineysha).

They also edit this show like ANTM. You could tell Jade, Alyssa and Coco were going to be safe because during Ru's mentoring session they weren't shown on camera. At least that Untucked was great.

The next one to go should be Ivy. She's just a non entity which is sad because out of drag he's the cutest there *.*

I just watched myself. I LOVE Snatch Game precisely because it demands that the queens be witty, quick, informed and sharp. It's a great moment for the tables to turn (as they did a bit in this ep with Jinkx's inspired Little Edie) a bit. That said, this was the worst Snatch Game in memory and thank goodness for Jinkx who has been my favorite for a while.

What I want to know is WHY didn't RuPaul read the queens to filth for not knowing their drag cultural icons??? That was a huge missed opportunity. you rip someone for doing Little Edie but you do a fucking Braxton sister something something and Kesha? That's what you know? Honestly, they should have both been thrown off just for their choices in impersonation.

I'm extremely disappointed in how subdued Alaska is. Her talking head moments can be funny but she's much too reserved and witholding in group situations. Her Bunny was fine, but, hell, why not do Sharon? Or at least someone that someone in the cast didn't do and do well very recently.

Overall, I loathe Roxxy more and more each week. Though cute out of drag (as long as that mouth is shut), her looks are an eyesore each and every time and she has the taste level of a divorced West Virginia Wendy's night manager. Just no.

I do enjoy Alyssa Edwards in part just for how completely insane that face is both in and out of drag. Not really my favorite aesthetic, but there's something about her frantic, honest earnestness about drag that's really quite endearing.

Ivy Winters. Begone, cypher.

Coco. Tired. Creepy as fuck in those contacts.

Jade. I wish she'd step it up and dig out of the trap of being bitchy and reactive. Sadly, I think she can't get out of that well.

Detox. Don't believe the hype-- boring, of limited intelligence, looks like the old Madame puppet and not in a cute way. Ick.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This episode was pretty good. Untucked focused a bit too much on the Jade-Alyssa divide with a side of Coco, but it was pretty funny.

kirblar

This episode was pretty good. Untucked focused a bit too much on the Jade-Alyssa divide with a side of Coco, but it was pretty funny.
They didn't have much to work with for content this week. I think now is the time when no one's "safe" in judging.

I do enjoy Alyssa Edwards in part just for how completely insane that face is both in and out of drag.
*bulges eyes, pulls chin back into neck and turns 45 degrees* Okaaaaaaaay.

I agree about Roxxy too - she has a level of polish, but it's polishing a turd, her look is really old - sequined body stockings and big girl wigs. Her make up makes her look fat when she's just shapely.

On them not knowing their cultural icons also - Maybe Little Edie was a little leftfield for some of them, but I think these young'uns need some schooling - when Honey Mahogany knew nothing at all about Diana Ross - her drag name was MAHOGANY ffs.

SaintZ

I like Alyssa too. At first I thought we were supposed to hate her based on editing but she's really funny, polished and looks like a muppet out of drag so what's not to love?

Coco became more insufferable as time went on. She's been the one talking about about her feud 24/7.

I also like Jade and fail too see what's so bad about her. I thought she was going to be all sweet and her looks were going to lack polish based on the first episode but she's been working iT during the runway portion. She always seems to be involved in some kind of drama tho.

And yes, I can't no longer stand Roxxxy and her Divine inspired make up every freaking episode. I liked her in the beginning but she lacks versatility.

These are too amazing not to share:

tumblr_miuv7yC7aY1r8ahcno1_1280.png

tumblr_miv7zoI0ba1r8ahcno1_1280.png

From the extremely talented http://pugfarts.tumblr.com/.

Serena Cha Cha, is that you?

Oh come on. This has to be the dimmest bunch of queens the show has ever seen (and that includes Miss "Drag As Soft Sculpture", the insufferable Serena Cha Cha). Jinkx knows what time it is and Alaska has some wit to her but many of the rest... Ivy Winters, Roxxxy, CoCo are just ridiculously stupid.

I would love to see Ru turn up the demands for wit, intelligence, a sense of history and really just being somewhat informed over "can she be a Glamazon." We saw with Sharon Needles that a smart queen can have glamour, humor and edge not despite but because of her brains.

I agree, most of these drag contestants are dumb but I think the most successful queens tend to be more self-absorbed and stupid than actually intelligent or referential. Just my opinion though.

Lear

Oh come on. This has to be the dimmest bunch of queens the show has ever seen (and that includes Miss "Drag As Soft Sculpture", the insufferable Serena Cha Cha). Jinkx knows what time it is and Alaska has some wit to her but many of the rest... Ivy Winters, Roxxxy, CoCo are just ridiculously stupid.

I would love to see Ru turn up the demands for wit, intelligence, a sense of history and really just being somewhat informed over "can she be a Glamazon." We saw with Sharon Needles that a smart queen can have glamour, humor and edge not despite but because of her brains.

Ivy in particular strikes me as very dim. You can practically hear the cogs turning every time she speaks. There was the failure to get the presidents reference Ru tossed her way during Snatch Game and then she didn't know Serena's name during Untucked at one point. She's pretty, in and out of drag, and her looks have some wit to them, but other than that she seems as dumb as a box of hair and about as entertaining.

Raxus

Last episode catapulted Jinkx into my favorite spot. Now if she can just get her runway together.

I really wish Coco and Alyssa would just fall off a cliff together. That seems like a poetic ending and would stop the insufferable 'drama'. I can't believe Ivy did Marylin and proceeded to do nothing with such an icon besides steal her look, which she also kind of failed at.

I do agree somewhat with Mercury. The great thing about last season was you had two very strong queens in the wit department. Needles and Willam. Part of me wishes Willam would come back and give these queens a run for their money.

Incredible! thanks for sharing :D

I agree, most of these drag contestants are dumb but I think the most successful queens tend to be more self-absorbed and stupid than actually intelligent or referential. Just my opinion though.

Oh I don't know. Who are the most successful queens? RuPaul. Jackie Beat. Lady Bunny. All of whom are whip smart and really know their stuff.

I was so pissed off at the judging in this episode. Michelle Visage going after Jinkx even though she gave the judges exactly what they asked of her (and she looked AMAZING), but somehow that was irrelevant. I don't know if it was just edited that way but I hated that they didn't at least acknowledge that she's doing what they asked of her. And of course going after Alaska was a bit random and off and generally unwarranted given the cavalcade of worse contestants on the show right now (Coco, Ivy, Alyssa), but at the very least I hope it lights a fire in her ass so that she can finally win a challenge. She's the only one left other than Coco who hasn't won a challenge which is really bad. With the comedy challenge coming up this is hers to lose. If she doesn't win it then I severely doubt she'll make it to top 5.

That said, both Jinkx and Alaska were hilarious and on point during the charity performance and it reconfirmed why they're my top two for this season. Detox is starting to slip a bit and don't even get me started on Roxxxy. All these dumb queens need to go home, and Coco and Roxxxy are the biggest culprits.

EDIT:

I was going through the Drag Race wikipedia page and looked at how the queens are ranking so far based on the amount of challenge wins, amount of times in the bottom three, and amount of times in the top three. I'm bored at work so I figured out how they're ranked so far:

1) Jinkx Monsoon - QUEEN BITCH. 1 win, 3 highs, 2 safes, 0 lows
2) Ivy Winters - 1 win, 3 highs, 1 safe, 1 low
2) Roxxxy Andrews - 1 win, 3 highs, 1 safe, 1 low
4) Alyssa Edwards - 1 win, 0 highs, 4 safes, 1 low
5) Detox - 1 win, 0 highs, 4 safes, 1 low (bottom two)
6) Alaska - 0 wins, 2 highs, 2 safes, 2 lows
7) Coco - 0 wins, 0 highs, 4 safes, 2 lows

I'll keep this updated every week for funsies. It makes me happy to see that Jinkx is the strongest performer so far though. Alaska and Detox need to step their game up STAT.

Alaska needs to step it up, her looks are boring, there was no imagination or humour at all in what she wore for the runway this week. Her spark is not coming through at all on the runway. Think she should listen to Michelle those other two Rolaskatox bitches will throw her under the bus when they need to.

Ivy - Nothing going on in that head of hers at all, she did OK in the challenge, but I feel she's coasting.

Roxxy - hate her make-up every week, it ages her and there's a disconnect between her body and her face. Sequin/sequenced, omg, lol another airhead floats down the runway!

Coco - always ready to whip out that victim card at the first sign of trouble. I will give it up for her lipsync though, she 'turned it out' AND looked the part, her hair was mid-80s Pointer Sisters all the way.

I was kind of taken aback at Detox listing all the work she's had done. Obviously you can see it in her face, but everything else shocked me a little - I'm half in awe, half wondering what's going on inside with queens like Detox and Chad Michaels. That's commitment to their work I will say that.

mantidor

Alissa is kind of weak but she won me over with that freaking Zelda T shirt, last place I would have expect to see one.

Love Jinx and I really want to love Ivy but I can't. I don't care for the others, well, I think Alaska can be better, thats about it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I was wondering if she even knew that was a Zelda shirt. :p

Although Alissa can be annoying, I think she's actually one of the better queens on the show.

Allisa's bitch face was captured perfectly.

. . .

Roxxy - hate her make-up every week, it ages her and there's a disconnect between her body and her face. Sequin/sequenced, omg, lol another airhead floats down the runway!

. . .

I was kind of taken aback at Detox listing all the work she's had done. Obviously you can see it in her face, but everything else shocked me a little - I'm half in awe, half wondering what's going on inside with queens like Detox and Chad Michaels. That's commitment to their work I will say that.
"Sequenced gown" was hilarious.

Detox's amount of work scares me. I don't really see the need for it, but if she wants to look like Cher, she can.

mantidor

I was wondering if she even knew that was a Zelda shirt. :p

Although Alissa can be annoying, I think she's actually one of the better queens on the show.

Allisa's bitch face was captured perfectly.

"Sequenced gown" was hilarious.

Detox's amount of work scares me. I don't really see the need for it, but if she wants to look like Cher, she can.

I definitely thought the same, but it is still a Zelda t-shirt.

And it is Chad that can be Cher, Detox can only be the Joker, she kind of is already.

SaintZ

I always liked Alyssa but I like her even more now thanks to the Zelda shirt *.*

That mini challenge was kinda lame tbh and I bet they weren't completely dark because most of them did a good job with the makeup.

I like Detox but she's slipping week after week (her comment about serving Tupperware was amazing though) and I can't stand Roxxxy. She always dresses the same and her makeup is a mess.

The same can be said about Alaska. Her runway looks tend to be similar. She wears this Amy Winehouse wig and her dresses have the same shape.

And what was Coco thinking with her runway outfit? That looked like a bad Sharon Needles look.

It was obvious Jade was going home because she was talking about her hard life in the past. The kiss of death in reality show competitions.

Ivy is going next. Even though she won a challenge she barely said anything this episode and it is a shame because she's polished and cute out of drag.

This season is just a mess. Alaska and Jinkx are the two queens I would love to see perform in-person, but I don't know if they are polished enough to win this show.

Alaska is super funny and smart (and I have a weird crush on her as a boy, don't ask) but none of that comes across much in her drag.

Jinkx is great too, but her runway look this week was horrible. Why oh why would you wear a hat and wig that were the exact same color?

Coco is a mess and super annoying. That runway look was total garbage. She has a lot of nerve reading other queens about their outfits and then walking down the runway with those skeleton gloves. I hope she goes next.

Detox actually seems like a genuinely nice person but all the surgery is tough to take and her drag look is basically creepy hooker.

Ivy is polished but boring and a total dummy. I am kind of into how bitchy she is though.

Roxxy seems like a nightmare and needs to GO. I hate her and can't see why anyone likes her.

That means Alyssa might actually be one of my favorites, which is hard to admit but here we are. She's a goober but her looks are pretty consistently polished and she's endearing in her own manic way. It's not my kind of drag, but she entertains me more than anyone else on the show, so she has my vote.

Detox actually seems like a genuinely nice person but all the surgery is tough to take and her drag look is basically creepy hooker.
lol, I think she can look great sometimes, that surgery+make-up and wigs makes her look like a cross between Jessica Rabbit and Cruella de Vil.

I think Coco was trying to show her range with that outfit, that she could do kooky too - although I don't think it was kooky enough.

royalan

But even her look is terrible tho.

And really, which season had worse queens at this stage?

Her looks are basic, and she bombs all the challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom