• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rupaul's Drag Race Season 8 [OT] No Tea, No Shade, No Pink Lemonade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw Derrick Barry and the incomparable Chi Chi tonight and best of all hot to hang with Derrick for
My birthday between shows!

Ww08IN8.jpg

Monocle

I like Alaska too but her shtick gets tiring real quick to some people.
Those people are wrong tbh. Even if she's grating to some, her character is incredibly well realized. Creating a unique persona like that and keeping her aesthetic fresh is not easy.

Btw, I get embarrassed for Sharon every time she snipes at Alaska, because Alaska is so much more impressive. Jealously is not a good look.

Shizuka

It's just that now, years after their seasons, Alaska is the more successful queen, compared to even the winners. While Sharon won S4 and had to console Alaska for losing S5 for a year, Alaska is everywhere nowadays, being a comedy queen, a singer, doing music videos, in a girl group, doing solo concerts around the world, being a WOW spokesperson. That shows that while winning is great, it's not everything and it won't make you more successful than non-winners by default.

It's just that now, years after their seasons, Alaska is the more successful queen, compared to even the winners. While Sharon won S4 and had to console Alaska for losing S5 for a year, Alaska is everywhere nowadays, being a comedy queen, a singer, doing music videos, in a girl group, doing solo concerts around the world, being a WOW spokesperson. That shows that while winning is great, it's not everything and it won't make you more successful than non-winners by default.

I see Chi Chi becoming similar to Alaska.

Wilsongt

Saw Derrick Barry and the incomparable Chi Chi tonight and best of all hot to hang with Derrick for

Ww08IN8.jpg

There goes my basement being flooded.

I think DR sort of lit a fire under Derrick to move out of her comfort zone should she lose her Brit Brit gig in vegas.

Now that the season is over I have to say it.

I agree with Acid on Trixie. I think Acid was mean to do that to KimChi but the UNHhhh videos just linked made me gag at her makeup. Something about her just turns me off.

MrV4ltor

The story behind it is that she did 'fishy' drag or at least more passable drag for years and it just didn't make her happy at all. She thought she looked like everyone else and that she wasn't standing out enough. So then she got inspired by vintage Barbies to just erase all of her real features and paint on a whole new overly exaggerated face. It got crazier and crazier as time went on and now she really just wants to looks like a dragged up version of a sock puppet. She also wants to have her exterior be the complete opposite of her comedy, so she has this pink Barbie sock puppet realness going on on the outside and then she just spews out these dark and cynical jokes. You can hear her talk about it here and here.

Monocle

Sure ain't.
Sharon's out-of-nowhere dig in the finale was sad. Alaska has a substantial fanbase and tons of high profile projects, and she didn't even take the crown.

Ww08IN8.jpg
I don't go for daddies but you look damn good tbh.

The RPDR experience has definitely improved Derrick's makeup.

B-Dex

Bob can't keep getting away with it!

ueGh99Y.jpg

Waiting for Raven to boycott McDonald's now and tell the Hamburgler to go fuck his purse.

Saw BOTS in Detroit last night!
I pretty much worship Michelle at this point. She was so talented and such a great host and very socially aware in terms of history and the way she presented the show.
The best performers were Ginger Minj with an Adele Hello lipsync that pulled in at least four other Hello songs, Jynx and Michelle doing Class from Chicago, Ivy Winters coming out on stilts to sing an okay song but then halfway through the song she did a costume change, all on stilts, that changed her from a gaunt sort of black look to this flows white angelic thing. It was awesome.

Then fucking Ben Dela Creme came out to do the Evolution of Drag. He started in a big fish costume, so you just saw this big fish with legs, then came out of that and was a dinosaur, then tore out of that and was an ape with a pink ass, then found a razor and "shaved" and ripped off the ape costume into a cave woman, then tore that away into a pink modern look. Blew everybody's mind.

Satch game had Sharon Needles as Caitlyn Jenner, Jynx as Liza Minelli, and Ginger as Michelle Visage. It was great and Ginger kept picking at Michelle and Michelle picked back and Sharon kept making Michelle laugh so hard she couldn't continue for a minute.

Going in I was most excited for Katya but she sort if faded into the background for me. I'm pretty sure her whole act is just her doing improv on stage, so it could easily be great or mediocre and we must have had her on a night that was just okay.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Then fucking Ben Dela Creme came out to do the Evolution of Drag. He started in a big fish costume, so you just saw this big fish with legs, then came out of that and was a dinosaur, then tore out of that and was an ape with a pink ass, then found a razor and "shaved" and ripped off the ape costume into a cave woman, then tore that away into a pink modern look. Blew everybody's mind.

I need to see a video of this, I can't even think in my head how she pulls it off

okno

Saw Bianca Del Rio last night on Fire Island and she was spectaaaaaaacular. I haven't laughed that hard in F O R E V E R. She made an AIDS joke that offended a dude so much he stormed out after heckling her. Bianca did NOT back down, even for a split second. Bitch fucking slays!

In two weeks time I have got to hang out with Derrick Barry at the Bear Den at Parliament House for my birthday, then Coco Montrese at Disney World's Gay Days (she's good friends with my friend).

I love Orlando!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom