• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust: Day Z Like game by the maker of Garry's Mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish it was easier to navigate. I think I have my location. I'm just going to run till I reach the end and work my way with that knowledge.

Use the giant mountain range as north, it's visually distinct and visible from pretty much anywhere. I would not spend anytime doing game related things until you can reliably navigate the terrain and get back to a specific spot with ease. You'll learn the lay of the land soon enough
Does anything happen to your gear/inventory (on your person) when you log off?

It stays on your person, and your person stays on the server passed out on the ground.

Use the giant mountain range as north, it's visually distinct and visible from pretty much anywhere. I would not spend anytime doing game related things until you can reliably navigate the terrain and get back to a specific spot with ease. You'll learn the lay of the land soon enough

It stays on your person, and your person stays on the server passed out on the ground.

Cool, thanks!

Apparently I was recording it the entire time so here ya go:

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/12514

Some gunfights happen at the start, but the first guy comes around 16:40

Second guy comes around 23:00 and returns at 25:00

LMFAO @ "Nope." Wish I could gif the second time when you opened the door and blew him away. Reminded me of...
kill-bill-shotgun-blast-o.gif

voodooray

I've been extremely interested in checking this out after watching several twitch streams and reading this thread, and thought i'd wait to see if it would show up in the steam sale.

Seems I had completely missed that I already got a key after donating the minimum needed ($25+) on the "Yogscast's Dwarven Dairy Drive!" humble bundle a while back. The bundle is still running, and can be donated all to charity.

Preferring to get my head caved in by fellow GAF-ers and not just any old person, which server is everyone tending to use?

Ryuuga

Banned
Preferring to get my head caved in by fellow GAF-ers and not just any old person, which server is everyone tending to use?

Kade and I have been on the [US] East Coast PVP community server as the official servers get pretty laggy. I don't mind starting anew if we reach a consensus on another server.

Also glad you guys enjoyed the story and vid as much as I did experiencing it.

LProtag

Okay... after getting some Christmas money I'm really tempted to purchase this. Can anyone speak for the OSX version? Is it buggier than Windows as of now? I can play it on my Windows partition, but it's generally easier to just keep everything on OSX.

antonz

Finally settled into a nice remote area with only a super tower nearby. Feeling pretty pimp getting upto the bow and just short on stone to craft workbench to make a gun.

Then airplane flies right overhead and drops a crate like 200 feet from my door. Suddenly my quiet area is a warzone of automatic fire going all over. Sad part is I didn't get jack because It takes forever to land and by the time it hit the ground the war was on.

The Foul

Okay... after getting some Christmas money I'm really tempted to purchase this. Can anyone speak for the OSX version? Is it buggier than Windows as of now? I can play it on my Windows partition, but it's generally easier to just keep everything on OSX.

This got announced tuesday, it would appear Win8.1 and Mac Os aren't as stable as the win7 build atm. On win7 I haven't crashed or had any connection/server/lag problems, a rare delight in the alpha world.

At the moment the Rust challenge I'm overcoming is outside the game. Trying to convince friends its better than DayZ is tough, especially with all the multiple alphas in this genre coming out around the same time. Its becoming apparent in-game that groups achieve greater than the sum of their parts. I've relied on social skills and an intimidating but empty shotgun so far, haven't managed to form any meaningful alliances with pubs. Seeing multiple dudes prowling about together will make the occasional lone bandit ignore you for easier prey. You'll still get gunned down, but the survival rate seems better.

I'm currently on "AustralianRust (Just Wiped)" server, but would ditch all the blueprints and shit I've acquired to throw down with gaffers.

antonz

I'm sure this has been asked, but should I get this or DayZ?

That is a tough one. Right now even though in roughly the same genre they are very different games.

Dayz for now is aimless with just trying to survive or be an asshole out to grief. YOu can easily gear out in 15 minutes if you are lucky or end up being killed over and over by geared out people. Until building shelters and bases and more dpeth Dayz is basically just a free for all deathmatch.

Rust has some purpose with building a house/fortress and learning stuff that extends it beyond just free for all deathmatch but Server resets seem to be the biggest potential issue. You may just finally get into the groove of things getting a nice base etc to find out when you login servers been reset and you are a naked man again.

I'm sure this has been asked, but should I get this or DayZ?

Depends on what you're into, do you want a free for all death match with like 3 guns in it that you have to find and absolutely nothing else to do for the foreseeable future or a game centered around social engineering and creating the wildest stories this side of the early days of the DayZ mod.

kubus

PSA: Anyone who wants to buy Rust, check out the Yogscast Dwarven Dairy Drive.

Yogscast is streaming for charity and if you donate $25 or more, you get a bunch of games including Rust. The following games are included:

- Rust
- Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed
- Chilvalry Medieval Warfare
- Torchlight
- Shank 2
- Magicka 2: Wizard Wars (early access)
- Napoleon Total War
- Awesomenauts
- Sanctum: Collection
- The Chaos Engine
- Gary's Mod
- Bunch of cosmetic items for various games

All can be redeemed on Steam.

In Europe, Rust costs €18,99 on Steam and this bundle only costs around €18 after converting the price. So you can get it cheaper AND get a bunch more games AND support multiple charities if you buy it from Humble Bundle instead of Steam.

Just bought the bundle and about to play Rust for the first time. After all the stories in this thread I just had to get it.

TomPUH

I once found a nice little house that had an open roof, luckily for me there was a big old rock I could climb to gain access through it. Saw the resident sleeping peacefully but decided not to kill him but I did cave in to the urge to take all his stone.

FartOfWar

Banned
I once found a nice little house that had an open roof, luckily for me there was a big old rock I could climb to gain access through it. Saw the resident sleeping peacefully but decided not to kill him but I did cave in to the urge to take all his stone.
You're never as safe as you imagine. This is some of the allure: all players are constantly creating puzzles for one another. Think of your house as a game and attempt to foolproof it against exploits. Approach building as a game designer not an architect. Imagine you're a raider and how you might approach your own puzzle. Have a trustworthy friend assess it too.

kubus

Just played about 90 minutes and it's pretty fun so far, even though I was lost all the time and had no idea what to do.

I found an empty city with tons of loot just waiting to be grabbed, and I was the only one there. Managed to find a lot of gunpowder, bullets, med kits, bandages, storage crates, etc. Then when I was figuring out how to build a house I ran out of calories and eventually died from starvation :(. Should've read some guides and wikis BEFORE playing, goddamnit :p.

I even managed to kill a deer with a rock but then didn't know how to loot it. Game said you needed a hatchet but in hindsight I think I just had to hit it with a rock again? Ah well.

I hope a GAF server is made! But I suppose that costs money?

TomPUH

You're never as safe as you imagine. This is some of the allure: all players are constantly creating puzzles for one another. Think of your house as a game and attempt to foolproof it against exploits. Approach building as a game designer not an architect. Imagine you're a raider and how you might approach your own puzzle. Have a trustworthy friend assess it too.

Aye I tend to have 'dummy' crates with some stuff in but keep my best supplies somewhere hidden like at the back of the house. Sure it means that one crate has no protection but so far with the 2 raids that's happened they didn't bother to check around to the back of the building.

Now UK2 has crashed and I was in the middle of a field hauling a megaton of equipment to build a new base. When the servers come back I'll just on that field now, passed out.

I hope a GAF server is made! But I suppose that costs money?

For the alpha, only server providers have the server files, so yes you would have to hire a server.

Tenck

Yeah I'd like to know too. I'm in the US East Coast Large, but yeah, it's way too crowded and not enough resources.

Kard8p3

GAF definitely needs to find a server and take over, I've only made one friend so far, everyone else has killed me.

antonz

I play on New York 1 Just Wiped. Was wiped on 20th so people do have mean guns but server is generally pretty mellow. I spawned in an area with low foot traffic so have been building nicely. Havent explored to get schematics or anything yet so just have my 9mm and pipe shotgun but that's enough defense.

Meanwhile I have almost a 3 story house in the hills with metal doors every room so far heh

LProtag

We should probably pick a server and converge on it.

Also, is the voice chat a push (hold) to talk type thing? Nothing happens when I push it, so I'm not sure.

antonz

Also, is the voice chat a push (hold) to talk type thing? Nothing happens when I push it, so I'm not sure.

yeah have to hold down v to talk. New York 1 right now only has around 60 people and they seem very focused in the southern regions of the map. I am in the Spain valley and I might see 1 person every few hours who also lives in the area but closer to the sea

LProtag

yeah have to hold down v to talk. New York 1 right now only has around 60 people and they seem very focused in the southern regions of the map. I am in the Spain valley and I might see 1 person every few hours who also lives in the area but closer to the sea

I have no idea how to navigate the map yet, but I'll start establishing myself on that sever.

Kard8p3

Yes, it's hold to talk. For a while last night it wasn't working when I used it, but as soon as I restarted my newly made friend could hear me.

I'm down for converging on a server, someone just has to pick it.

edit: Will migrate over to New York 1, also unable to find my self around the map, but I will try.

Stasis

Wish there was a hybrid of Rust and DayZ. That's what I want.

The idea of DayZ (and it's map) with the way things were in the mod because there's still just way too much missing from SA, but built into Rust's Source engine and using some of it's crafting/hunting features along with radiation, day/night cycle, inventory, etc.

I own both. I've put tons of hours into Rust with friends and I love it, but it just doesn't have enough substance to keep me coming back. DayZ has the substance (the mod did, at least) with it's map and vehicles etc. All the things to prolong enjoyment of this kind of survival title, goals to work towards, etc. but it's just shoddy and hard to play for long periods of time. It's janky and basically feels broken as fuck all the time. Rust just feels superior in about every way.

God I wish some talented dev would come along and do DayZ right. Or that Garry would turn Rust into something bigger.

Yo can I make a black character? With appropriate dick size?

I mean, if I'm going to have myself in the game it mine as well be anatomically and ethnically correct.

antonz

I might actually be in coast resources. I know to the east of my area is a road and directly south on the road is a rad zone with buildings.

Anustart

I'ma ask again lol. It seems that the distrust even extends to neogaf while not playing as no one here says they'll take me in to their team.

Anyone wanna take me in as a member of their posse? I'm basically done playing solo as it's just a fruitless task.

TheExodu5

Banned
This is what I am looking at right now, does it seem familiar?

edit: replaced with a pic that will have a better landmark

Looks like Metal Mountain in the back I think

732px-NewMap.jpeg

edit: nevermind...I see the road in the back, so you're on the left side of the map. You're on Beach Mountain maybe?

Chakan

Game is simply not worth it right now. Too heavy, not much to do, literally only fun if you have friends to play with.

antonz

How about this?

Nope Im not near the ocean. I would say I am 300-400 meters off the road. when the sun comes up I am going to explore south of me to try and get a better idea of where I am exactly. Map confuses me because north of me is a huge mountain range but none of the map really matches that view

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom