• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rust: Day Z Like game by the maker of Garry's Mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kard8p3

Nope Im not near the ocean. I would say I am 300-400 meters off the road. when the sun comes up I am going to explore south of me to try and get a better idea of where I am exactly. Map confuses me because north of me is a huge mountain range but none of the map really matches that view

Alright, I'm headed north now, might be able to meet up with you.

edit:

What town is that?

1024x576.resizedimage

Wish there was a hybrid of Rust and DayZ. That's what I want.

The idea of DayZ (and it's map) with the way things were in the mod because there's still just way too much missing from SA, but built into Rust's Source engine and using some of it's crafting/hunting features along with radiation, day/night cycle, inventory, etc.

I own both. I've put tons of hours into Rust with friends and I love it, but it just doesn't have enough substance to keep me coming back. DayZ has the substance (the mod did, at least) with it's map and vehicles etc. All the things to prolong enjoyment of this kind of survival title, goals to work towards, etc. but it's just shoddy and hard to play for long periods of time. It's janky and basically feels broken as fuck all the time. Rust just feels superior in about every way.

God I wish some talented dev would come along and do DayZ right. Or that Garry would turn Rust into something bigger.

Rust is Unity, not Source.

But I'm right there with you. Both games really seem barebones for me. That's expected considering both are very early on. But Rust especially seems like something I can't 'lone-wolf' without getting too frustrated. I die and lose everything too often; and I don't always want to coordinate playing with people.

fanboi

Banned
Thanks Rust GAF for last night, had to resort to a shack solution when i logged off.

Played some today and just when i headed out over the fields, an airplane dropped supplies 100m from me. Got some large medkits healing 100hp, alot of gunpowder which i turned into 60 rounds of 9mm.

I also put some ore in the furnace!

antonz

Servers are under DDOS attack apparently. really lame. I did finally figure out where I am exactly. Took a lot of running around but I am in Spain Valley.

Ryuuga

Banned
Pasted directly from the game developers. Kudos to Garry for actually explaining what happened.

http://playrust.com/ulink-ddos-attacks/

To summarize that post somebody/organisation is singlehandly attacking all Rust servers at the same time to stop anybody from playing at all.

Facepunch have said this issue basically can NOT be resolved without changing a vast amount of things within the game and a permanent fix could be weeks off or until the attacker runs out of available bandwidth.

GG.

I have taken the decision to take all our Rust servers offline until this issue is resolved to preserve player progress and make sure you will not be raided while they are having these issues and people are unable to connect.

From the admin of the server I play on.

Ouch. When the few ruin it for the many. It's probably the DayZ devs :p

antonz

Good that they laid it all out and extra credit for taking the step of just shutting them all down so that people don't get adversely affected in game by someone who might be able to get on.

Sucks because I was excited to get on today and really start digging in. Got my house upto 4 floors and was going to really start getting elaborate.

Today is the first day I've been able to get decent FPS which is strange. Must've been playing on the wrong servers.

Pity about the attacks. Set up a house near a zombie field and was just popping those off, Easy farm, very rare that you don't get a good trade for your arrows. Lag was just making it pointless though.

It's nice when you start replacing your entry level gear and you can afford to just be generous with your old stuff to newbies. On one server I was building a new hut each night roaming around and leaving the door open with a box full of crap like arctic explorers do.

TomPUH

It's a shame Facepunch have to deal with this crap and everyone who got Rust is suffering because of a select few, I hope a solution is found soon enough.

akaoni

Banned
So what are all the people in the Rust mumble doing since there's no servers? I was finally going to build New GAF city. :(

antonz

Im curious as to why some servers aren't affected. The number of people playing is almost 5000 right now up like 3000 from earlier.

hmm leaving and restarting the game now shows no servers. weird. had just started the game up and saw a list.

Ryuuga

Banned
Im curious as to why some servers aren't affected. The number of people playing is almost 5000 right now up like 3000 from earlier.

Some servers seemed to be more affected than others. The server I just played on after reading this seemed to be functioning from moment to moment. Most people are just enduring the lag and trying to play around it. It becomes unbearable when you're doing anything other than gathering resources though.

antonz

Some servers seemed to be more affected than others. The server I just played on after reading this seemed to be functioning from moment to moment. Most people are just enduring the lag and trying to play around it. It becomes unbearable when you're doing anything other than gathering resources though.

Yeah there is a temporary fix someone has suggested but the problem is most people would still be screwed. They could disable the ingame server browser for now which would defeat the DDOS attack but most people probably have no clue what their server IP is.

Update: Looks like they may be trying some emergency measures. small update was pushed. Server list menus are super fast now no more lag switching around etc. my server isn't listed atm so cant test if its working though

update 2: even refresh list button works now :eek:

DogMeat77

I just bought it through the Humble Bundle Yog's Cast Charity drive. All the games for $25 + Charity was too hard to pass up... even though I knew Rust was down.

Hopefully they can get it sorted soon so I can hop on mumble and check this game out.

antonz

Im bothered by the fact they brought the servers up even with no fix. I mean it shows 4 people playing on my server. They may have the shittiest experience possible but depending on those 4 people they could raid the entire server and ruin everyone's experience when the rest of us can actually play.

Kard8p3

Im bothered by the fact they brought the servers up even with no fix. I mean it shows 4 people playing on my server. They may have the shittiest experience possible but depending on those 4 people they could raid the entire server and ruin everyone's experience when the rest of us can actually play.

Yep.

They need to take the servers down until everyone can get back on.

The server I was on last night with some friends isnt even in my history anymore :/

Prowl

I bought this purely from some of the videos posted in this thread, Loving it when people aren't hostile towards me while i rub my rock on a tree

antonz

Seems like it is working again, still no signs of the server I was using though.

Yeah my servers up and smooth but all structures were wiped. thankfully any inventory was kept so not a total loss

blah now owner is full wiping for fairness. now to try and get back to my special area

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I was just going to throw $25 at the Yogscast bundle, but it says Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is all sold out. That was the only other game in the pack that was worth anything to me; I was going to give everything else away in a ModBot giveaway (and give Chivalry to a friend to play with since I already have it). I gotta think about this now.

Mr. Robot

Altough it is frustrating since i cant seem to get more than a stone hatchet before i get killed, i really like this game.

I was hanging around in the darkness and found the safehouse of a group of chinese players, i could hear them chat, so i got on the top of their base using a mountain, and started playing gentlemen by psy, i couldn't understand what they were saying but it seemed like they were asking eachother about the song, they started to ask who is there? in english, and realised that the sound came from the roof, so i started to bang on the roof with a stone and saw 5 guys come out trying to find me, when they eventually found me i just jumped to my death.

GAF server? GAF server. Quote for IP.
Awesome now I may actually put more time into it. I need to play this with some others before I step back from it. Having lost all the loot I had the other night stings like no other.

Wait, you can create characters? Or do you mean just signing on to the server?

So tonight someone came up to my hut asking me for directions, said he wanted to meet his buddies so I thought this could be fun, I took him to the meeting location.

We hung out for a while, they were all just beginning but one of them had found a rifle in a crate so I decided to give them some ammo and see how quickly things escalate.

Within 10 minutes someone is dead and bitching to the admin like a Star Wars fan about who shot first. I stayed out of the argument mostly and was not accused.

WedgeX

Banned
This sounds like what I want out of DayZ, but is currently lacking.

The base building intrigues me most. Are underground dwarven caves able to be carved out of the ground at present?

akaoni

Banned
This sounds like what I want out of DayZ, but is currently lacking.

The base building intrigues me most. Are underground dwarven caves able to be carved out of the ground at present?

Unfortunately not.

Build your own man-made mountain and make the caves within that to hide your stash.

EDIT: Server IP isn't working for me so I guess it's still farged. :(

DogMeat77

Got to play this for the first time last night and this game is pretty fucking great! Excited to see where this all goes as it progresses through alpha.

joined a random server since gaf server didn't seem to work and boy is it laggy haha.

We played on the GAF server from like midnight until 9am and it ran fine. If we are talking about the same server (new server listed in the mumble).

DrBo42

Can't manage to join any servers for some reason. I double click the name and the fire in the back stutters for a bit like the app is processing something but nothing else happens. Common bug? Any fix?

kubus

Can't manage to join any servers for some reason. I double click the name and the fire in the back stutters for a bit like the app is processing something but nothing else happens. Common bug? Any fix?
I have this too, but frantically clicking both left and right mouse button at the server name does the trick for me. Eventually itll go to the loading screen.

DrBo42

I have this too, but frantically clicking both left and right mouse button at the server name does the trick for me. Eventually itll go to the loading screen.

Alright I'll give that a shot. I see the GAF server IP above but I can't connect to it with the net.connect command. Is it down or just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom