• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse crunching team served 11,500 dinners by ship date #rysefacts

ASSHOLES.

Why are you so proud that you served so many dinners?

I bet its literally YOUR fault that the devs are crunching! I bet they wouldn't have to if they weren't eating food all the time!

Man, I hate you.

You should go sit in a corner and cry. Cry because you're a nasty piece of work who obviously takes pride in the fact that launching games parallel to console launches is hard. I can just tell. I can tell by the way you used that smiley there. Yeah you know what I'm talking about....ugh.

I was going to buy Ryse, but I hate you now.

I hate you.

-GrizzleBoy.

Unstable

It's amazing the hate surrounding the Xbone. That anything to do with it gets swarmed with hateful comments, even the most innocent tweet is not immune to that haterade.

It's a reality of the industry that isn't going away. The tweet wasn't a good idea but condemning the studio for it is over the top.

Crunch is an inescapable fact of professional life, but AAA studios are notorious for going at it for months, which is inexcusable abuse of hardworking employees who are frequently made redundant the second crunch ends. Crunch shouldn't go away but it shouldn't be overlooked because it's common or be crowed about because of how awesome it is to eat dinner at work instead of with your family for half the year.

antitrop

What's so disgusting about giving free dinner to your employees who are working overtime?

From what I'm gathering, it seems like some few are surmising that if Crytek was managing their development process properly, there wouldn't have to be any overtime...

Or fucking something.

What's the cause of video game development crunch anyways? Ideas being too ambitious for the time allocated? Not enough employees? A lot of time being wasted early on? Why hasn't this sort of thing been eradicated yet?

Tell us more on how all of GAF is one mind.

I wasn't commenting on GAF, just the general state of the Xbox brand today and how people are quick to shit on Microsoft, or companies developing titles debuting on Xbox One. Nothing to do with GAF sentiment at all, and I didn't mean for it to come off like that!

@killzone: By the time #ShadowFall releases, we'll have served the @killzone team over 12,000 dinners throughout development. #KillzoneFacts

Responses:

'Wow, that's a lot of guerrilla meat! Good on you team!'

'Oh man, bet none of those dinners tastes as good as 60 FPS multiplayer! #killzonerulez'

'Hey, any leftovers? No? Oh that's ok, I'm cool with just the game!'

It's amazing the hate surrounding the Xbone. That anything to do with it gets swarmed with hateful comments, even the most innocent tweet is not immune to that haterade.

Why do you two insist on this being about the console wars. This is about basic treatment of your employees.

I don't get the quote. But hey. Big numbers is big but it doesn't matter until we know how m
Any work there and how many have 2 or more servings

Haunted

rysex6ovq.png
farukh_damn.gif

Press A to eat.

@killzone: By the time #ShadowFall releases, we'll have served the @killzone team over 12,000 dinners throughout development. #KillzoneFacts

Responses:

'Oh man, bet none of those dinners tastes as good as 60 FPS multiplayer! #killzonerulez'

Embarassing.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is there really any outrage at all in either this thread or that twitter feed? That word seems to have lost a lot of meaning. We should just start using "disappointment" now or "dislike".

Thorakai

Come on guys. If you wanna make fun of people on twitter at least grasp that they aren't outraged at the giving out dinner part, but at the crunch time that requires employees to stay overtime long enough to amass that amount. Then you can talk about how software crunches are normal and defend why it would be hard to prevent it.

It's amazing how far people go to find outrage about anything remotely connected to the Xbox One right now.

There are plenty of legitimate gripes, this ain't one.

What's the cause of the video game development crunch anyways? Ideas being too ambitious for the time allocated? Not enough employees? A lot of time being wasted early on? Why hasn't this sort of thing been eradicated yet?

Crunch is always blamable on higher ups.

It's down to scope, management, features, and over-promising crap to the developers.

You should know your team's ability and promise honest deadlines. Not meeting those deadlines is 100% on the producers ability. That's literally their job. That's it.

When games end up in crunch, it's because deadlines are closer than anticipated, or the publisher is asking for asinine shit at the last minute and the producer didn't stand up for the developer.

Crunch inevitably happens on any project, but some studios thrive on it. Some very big famous studios, which I have people TOLD ME in person "I'd rather be homeless than work for them" even though it'd look great on their resume.

It's not good and not something to boast about. The fact that this account chose not only to ADMIT there's crunch, on the order of months, but as a fact of pride, is nasty.

Those people, those programmers, those artists, those QA people, don't get to see their family. And this twitter jockey is making light of that. FUCK THAT.

Before you go thinking this isn't a big deal, look at the accounts responding to this. These are the people making your games that are most upset. Unless you've dealt with crunch, you have no idea what this means.

FINALBOSS

Banned

Responses:

Edit:

. . . oof.

I'll skip the usual "nice persecution complex" and just jump straight to, shut up.

people who have never worked in software development EVER, basically.

Hi, welcome to how the real world works.

Hi, I've worked in software development for over a dozen years and haven't had to crunch for longer than a week in my life.

Game companies grind their employees through months of that shit. That's not 'software development' or 'the real world.'

Acccent

Wtf why are people so angry over this? What is even crazier is that these people seem like actual fans of the game. The internet is a scary place.
Maybe because most of the people who are getting angry about it are devs who have lived crunch and it is the fucking worst, and seeing it used as some kind of twisted marketing tool - implying that the more hours were spent crunching, the better the game will be - is a damn good reason to get angry.

It's a reality of the industry that isn't going away. The tweet wasn't a good idea but condemning the studio for it is over the top. Those meals are some of the only breaks these teams get and they're usually good. The teams know they have to crunch and look forward to stuff like this.
It sure won't go away if people keep accepting it as a normal thing or even promote it like this tweet does... Obviously the tweet is just a tweet, and Crytek isn't the only company doing this, but it feels like it's rubbing it in gratuitously.

...and, since apparently that needs explaining, the fact that lunches were served isn't the issue - the problem is that they needed to be served in the first place

Salex_

This isn't just limited to game development either. I'm a developer (not a game developer, just run-of-the-mill embedded application development), and even our teams have crunch time. I've never worked on a product that came leisurely strolling through to the finish line, where every developer was putting in only 40 hour weeks at the very end. Marketing can always find a way to add new functionality or pull in the release schedule if it looks like things are moving too smoothly...

These responses just sound like people who have no software experience of any kind, pretending that they know better. At least the studio is feeding their employees - I'm lucky if my boss brings in some donuts if I'm working over the weekend.

"Why complain? It could be worse."

ASSHOLES.

Why are you so proud that you served so many dinners?

I bet its literally YOUR fault that the devs are crunching! I bet they wouldn't have to if they weren't eating food all the time!

Man, I hate you.

You should go sit in a corner and cry. Cry because you're a nasty piece of work who obviously takes pride in the fact that launching games parallel to console launches is hard. I can just tell. I can tell by the way you used that smiley there. Yeah you know what I'm talking about....ugh.

I was going to buy Ryse, but I hate you now.

I hate you.

-GrizzleBoy.
This is like the new expert on Japanese culture

I seriously can't see how you can be proud of this fact. Crunching is a necessary evil, not something you should be talking about as a highlight of your project.

labaronx

looks like the guy who responded first is "starving" for some "RYSE" info which I can relate to because I also have the game preordered

everyone else comes off as jerks

Top Bottom