• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Even if this game was bad, would it really matter that much? It is not like MS is relying solely on one game for their launch lineup.

TheKayle

Banned
Even if this game was bad, would it really matter that much? It is not like MS is relying solely on one game for their launch lineup.

in fact this could just end to be a showcase of the console capability and seen that is going to be one of the best (if not the best) graphics title..i think that is ok....honestly the only rival could be killzone.....but to me look more appealing Ryse must be the setting.......and coz im italian ;)

they still have forza 5 that title alone push the launch line up ahead of the rivals

not counting ...dr3,killer instinct,crimson dragon,lococycle etc etc

Xenon

The last two companies that MS put so much of their resources into faired pretty well, Bungie and Epic. Next gen it looks like they are taking Crytek under their wing.

Before people bring up Rare, I think the relationship they had with the afore mentioned companies was different than they had with Rare. Who they purchased for their expertise in console games.

Popup

I agree . If nothing else, it's a great next-gen tech demo. I have purchased games in the distant past for the music alone so this is not new to me :) Everything else is a bonus.

What does everyone else think of these 'til the last second' type embargo's? The fact that this game is last almost seems to suggest an expected score.

When the review embargo lifts this thread should be a lot of fun.

image.php

The true Next-Gen showcase. I'm going to laugh if this game goes on to have the best story out of all the launch games. Many crows will be eaten.

I personally think it has the best chance of having the best story of all the launch titles shown. At least no story for any other game has interested me nearly as much so far.

Grinchy

Banned
When the review embargo lifts this thread should be a lot of fun.

I'm actually hoping it reviews really well, because that would be a lot more fun. I can taste the salty tears already.

It'll still be fun if it reviews poorly, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This can't be any worse than Killzones story.
I hope it's decent by Crytek has a terrible track record. :(

I absolutely adore the Crysis series but, outside of the fun narrative in Crysis 1, their stories were all bullshit.

Story/single player campaign has been ripped apart for every major game coming out this holiday so far: (Black Flag, Ghosts, BF4, Shadowfall, Knack, etc.). With WatchDogs delayed and Dead Rising intentionally being horror movie cheesy, pretty much the only game left to have hope for having a good story/campaign is Ryse.

That is a pretty bad comparison, those games are nothing like Ryse.

Anyways does anyone know when the embargo is up for this and other Xbox One games.

I hope it is a bad comparison.

The point is that they're willing to hype up games that are far less interactive yet attack Ryse with trolls like "press X to win." Even if they were right and the gameplay was that boring/easy it seems like a bit of a double standard. It is console war BS I know.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

The point is that they're willing to hype up games that are far less interactive yet attack Ryse with trolls like "press X to win." Even if they were right and the gameplay was that boring/easy it seems like a bit of a double standard. It is console war BS I know.

First of all, you just invented these people out of thin air, so don't get too confident in your allegations of hypocrisy.

Second, Ryse is rightfully going to be compared to other melee combat action games. That's what it is. It's going to tell a story in cutscenes, and that story might be great, but it's separate from the gameplay.

The Walking Dead and Beyond are interactive story games. Some people did in fact mock them for not having "real gameplay" but many more people (at least in the case of The Walking Dead) recognized what the game's aims were and thought it succeeded masterfully.

These are different kinds of games, everyone can see that, and there's no double standard at work. At all.

Since knack and killzone arent very good, the only game that leaves is dead rising for console exclusives with single player stories.

Setting aside that he didn't say anything about 'exclusives' in the post I quoted, what I actually found funny was how low the bar was being set with "Best game story of next gen launch".

Ryse certainly could have the best story of next gen launch, don't get me wrong... but is that really any kind of achievement? To have a better story than an Assassin's Creed game, some first person shooters and a zombie game? :/

Who's supposed to be "eating crow" in this proposed scenario?

Darksol

saying well at least the story is good...is like describing a girl....well at least she has awesome personality. lol

Just to run with your analogy...

The girl with an awesome personality is better than a pretty girl with not much else going for her ;) Besides, neither Sony nor MS will have the prettiest girls, they'll just be fighting among themselves over who has the prettiest girl within a select group of average to above average girls.

So yeah, maybe personality should be a big factor after all :p

What goes so wrong in your life that you actually want to play this piece of shit game?

This is so silly. Game looks badass, the combat seems solid, the art direction and setting look fantastic. The Production values and acting performances appear to be top notch. A much more appropriate question would be what goes so wrong that you would somehow have absolutely no interest at all in this game? Reasons outside of the game itself? Doesn't really matter, I guess. It personally looks like one of the most interesting and better launch titles, imo.

Satchel

Banned
I have this ordered. Got 3 days to decide if I pick it up or not.

My mate has paid it ioff so I'm thinking I'll try hsi out first and if I like it I'll just go get my copy which will be waiting.

Just worried the gameplay won't be much. I'm not enough of a graphic whore (if at all) to buy a game PURELY for visuals.

I have this ordered. Got 3 days to decide if I pick it up or not.

My mate has paid it ioff so I'm thinking I'll try hsi out first and if I like it I'll just go get my copy which will be waiting.

Just worried the gameplay won't be much. I'm not enough of a graphic whore (if at all) to buy a game PURELY for visuals.

Combat seems better in recent videos. The only thing i'm iffy about is the slow attack thing he does similar to batman.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This is the launch title for both that I believe will comfortably pass the mom test for a casual observer.

The reviews would have to be pretty negative for me to reconsider purchasing this one.
I don't think there are any surprises, we've all seen the vids so we already know what to expect... if some reviewer doesn't like that kind of game play they will give it a low score, but we have already made that decision after watching the vids.

I really want this game to be great. We simply just don't have enough great games featuring the Roman Empire/Republic eras. And I'm not even looking for 100% historical accuracy, I just don't want to be not entertained.

Story/single player campaign has been ripped apart for every major game coming out this holiday so far: (Black Flag, Ghosts, BF4, Shadowfall, Knack, etc.). With WatchDogs delayed and Dead Rising intentionally being horror movie cheesy, pretty much the only game left to have hope for having a good story/campaign is Ryse.

Expectations man. Ryse is an action game so of course it would get more negativity for not playing how an action game is expected to play.

SRTtoZ

I hope it's decent by Crytek has a terrible track record. :(

I absolutely adore the Crysis series but, outside of the fun narrative in Crysis 1, their stories were all bullshit.

I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Ryse had aliens in it.

This can't be any worse than Killzones story.

The setting should be preclude that, but I absolutely preferred the story in KZ 2 to Crysis 2. Crysis had a decent set up but the rest has been a bit arse. Octodad probably will have the best story of any launch games.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Knackered but not quite Knack

I kid, I am hopping for the best. Outside of Killzone, this is about the only AAA which interests me at launch (pretty much only because of the visuals). Well Trine 2 and Resogun also look spectacular.

Eoin

The setting should be preclude that, but I absolutely preferred the story in KZ 2 to Crysis 2. Crysis had a decent set up but the rest has been a bit arse. Octodad probably will have the best story of any launch games.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Knackered but not quite Knack

I kid, I am hopping for the best. Outside of Killzone, this is about the only AAA which interests me at launch (pretty much only because of the visuals). Well Trine 2 and Resogun also look spectacular.
Pretty sure they have someone new in to do the story. There was a panel about the game, with the guy responsible for it on. His background was in TV from what I remember. I don't think we can really have expectations of the story based on prior Crytek games, when it's not being done by the same people.

Top Bottom