• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saber Rider and the Star Sherrifs: The Game - Kickstarter now live! (3DS/PC/MAC/LIN)

TheMoon

UPDATE 2: FUNDED!

1,072 backers pledged $96,591 to help bring this project to life.

UPDATE:

Gamestar has confirmed with the devs that backers of the original crowdfunding campaign on PLING will be eligible to get the game from the Kickstarter campaign.
->>> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=177237026&postcount=57

Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs is an all-new 2D 16-Bit style run'n'gun shoot-'em-up including giant Mecha action, based upon the original series from 1986. Allow us to take you back in time with this original 80's IP. Power Stride and Ready to Ride!

Campaign page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/saberridergame/saber-rider-and-the-star-sheriffs-the-video-game
Campaign video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJF75jyR3Os

tumblr_m5l4gjEmJE1r239fno1_400.gif
tumblr_m5l4i31RxW1r239fno1_400.gif
tumblr_mohi7c48qn1sqcwb0o2_400.gif

In case you don't know what Saber Rider (Seijūshi Bismarck) is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saber_Rider_and_the_Star_Sheriffs

Now get all the music feels with the intro to the anime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKxWl4PcBY4

Funding goal: 75,000 USD

We will complete the task and retell the full story of Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs in the form of a Video Game for the Nintendo 3DS, Windows, Mac and Linux. We are planning to release the game in Europe, America and Japan. If we reach certain stretch goals we will expand the range of platforms and possibilities.

In order to use the Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs IP we got the full support from World Events Productions (WEP). WEP is also known for Voltron: Defender of the Universe and Denver the last Dinosaur. We also have the full support of the original animation producer Studio Pierrot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierrot_(company)) which is also know for anime series like Hikaru no Go, Blue Dragon, Naruto and Bleach.

Do you need to know the original series in order to play the Game?

No! It is not necessary to know the original series in order to play or understand our game. The game gives you all the necessary information. After you play our game through, you'll probably want to watch it!

Features​
Here are some features of the Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs game:

• Real 80's IP & real 80's feeling
  • 16-Bit Style Graphics
  • 12 differently themed missions
  • 4 playable characters and their vehicles (Saber Rider, Fireball, April and Colt)
  • Different weapons
  • Intense Mecha battles called "Challenge Phase"
  • Game Soundtrack based on Dale Schacker's Original Series Soundtrack
  • Voices from the Series featuring Peter Cullen and others
  • Bonus Games & Highscores
  • In-game music box
  • Nintendo 3DS Play Coin Support
  • Full New Nintendo 3DS Support
  • Stereoscopic 3D on Nintendo 3DS Scanline Filter for the PC Version for perfect retro feeling
  • Perfect playability with tight controls
  • Secrets to discover

Once we've reached our main goal you will get the complete and full Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs game.

3DS version:

CNfQF-4WoAAgIqu.jpg

359d15351257b318f9197sdr8y.png

Challenge Phase on Nintendo 3DS Concept Art / Mockup

The Nintendo 3DS will make use of booth screens for the Challenge Phase. The fight will be displayed in two perspectives. On the 3D Screen you will see the full fight in stereoscopic 3D.

Ramrod is being controlled by our 4 heroes. Each hero has his own control unit. By touching the different control units, functions and moves will be activated and executed. The whole fight will be displayed in the first person perspective on the touch screen.

The Challenge Phase on the PC Version will differ a bit from the 3DS Version.
Dev Team:​

The dev team consists of a bunch of veterans who have been making games since the 90s. Project Coordinator is Christian Strauß, who previously worked at Nintendo of Europe for six years. Personally, that makes me actually think their amiibo stretch goal isn't just made of clouds and rainbows due to the previous connection with Ninty.
85122c2c33d3a90b88cfdzpjhz.png

Budget:​
fb076e567ea23037ddfb4tck7d.png

Please note that unlike other, bigger Vidoe Game Kickstarter campaigns, the amount we are trying to fund here is the actual amount we need for the development of the game. This campaign was made and is run just by our team with the support of WEP. There are no marketing companys involved. This project is by fans for fans and all gamers around the globe.

Unfortunately if this Kickstarter Campaign is not successful, we can not finish the development and the project is over. Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs is a property of Studio Pierrot and WEP. The IP and our agreement with them is bound to the success of this Kickstarter Campaign - Please understand.

Stretch goals:

7c28afd9a631ee1b535cf8hpza.png

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...oh God, I still remember when they announced this back in 2010, shortly after 3DS's unveiling at E3. 5 years have passed, what the heck.

Mpl90

I'll transcribe the stretch goals as soon as possible.

Tizoc

Stretch goals include Wii U port at $150k, Dreamcast port at $200k, XB1/PS4 ports at $350k.

Why would you want to make a Dreamcast port in this day and age :V
I'll keep an eye on it. The mech was pretty kickass.

TheMoon

...oh God, I still remember when they announced this back in 2010, shortly after 3DS's unveiling at E3. 5 years have passed, what the heck.

I've been following this since the start. I even backed the original PLING campaign. It's always been a lack of funds. It was originally a 3D on-rails game but that clearly didn't work out. Inbetween there had also been issues with the license which they have now worked out it seems.

Mpl90

Stretch goals

$90,000 - Extended Animation Set
$100,000 - Colt's Caravan Mode; 2 and 5 minutes settings
$125,000 - Full original German cast
$150,000 - Wii U
$185,000 - Dale Shacker & 2P Co-op mode
$200,000 - Dreamcast
$250,000 - SNES and PC Engine CD
$300,000 - Peter Cullen
$350,000 - PS4/One
$400,000 - Amiibo Support; exclusive Ramrod Amiibo Statue & 3D Trophy Room for 3DS and Wii U
$430,000 - Japanese localisation including voice recording
$500,000 - HD mode with redrawn sprites for Windows/MAC/Linux/Wii U/PS4/One

RPGCrazied

Never seen the show. Man, if only someone could get the rights for ThunderCats. Could be a very cool video game if done right.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Man I'm wishing these guys all the best, but that doesn't look like the game Saber Rider deserves.

Bedlam

Honestly, this is a bad pitch and that mockup looks like crap.

As much as I loved Saber Rider as a kid, this seems like (another) attempt at wanting to make a quick cash-in by exploiting nostalgia.

Shame the license didn't land in more professional hands.

Tizoc

Dreamcast & PC Engine before Xbone/PS4... Why?

I think that the PS4/X1 goal does need that stated amount, but the DC and PCE can be achieved before?
Although all things considered...skip that and prioritize current gen systems, stop being hipsters :V

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
A Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs amiibo? A PC Engine CD port stretch goal?

We are through the looking glass here, people.

F-Pina

Well, only 1 image of the look of the game?
In the video we see a tiny (very tiny) 3DS with a prototype running but I can't understand what is going on.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm pretty sure Manfred Trenz (Turrican !!!) is working on this game.

Manfred Trenz hasn't been involved with this project for a long time. Huelsbeck was connected at one point but he's long since departed, too.

Also, I can tell you right now that they're completely clueless if they think SNES and Turbo CD are a sensible pairing, and I don't mean in the "wtf why are they doing this?" way but in the "these two hardware specs are not at all amenable to cross-platform development" way.

Also, I can tell you right now that they're completely clueless if they think SNES and Turbo CD are a sensible pairing, and I don't mean in the "wtf why are they doing this?" way but in the "these two hardware specs are not at all amenable to cross-platform development" way.

I'd kind of agree here, you can tell from the couple games out there that are on both systems that there is quite a bit of retooling needed to come up with something that makes the most out of what both platforms are capable of.

If anything, this might lead to a pretty bland-looking SNES version held back by a PCE "lead version".

Shiggy

Manfred Trenz hasn't been involved with this project for a long time. Huelsbeck was connected at one point but he's long since departed, too.

Trenz never was, even though the team which is doing this Kickstarter announced he was.

"Betrifft SABER RIDER!

Denaris arbeitet nicht an dem Projekt Saber Rider und hat bisher auch nicht daran gearbeitet. Diese Falschinformation wurde ohne Rücksprache mit Denaris ins Netz gestellt und trotz Aufforderung nicht berichtigt."

"Denaris does not work on Saber Rider and has not done so until now. The announcement has been put online without Denaris knowledge and was not removed after our request."

They apparently hoped to get more attention by saying Trenz was involved.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Trenz never was, even though the team which is doing this Kickstarter announced he was.

"Denaris does not work on Saber Rider and has not done so until now. The announcement has been put online without Denaris knowledge and was not removed after our request."

They apparently hoped to get more attention by saying Trenz was involved.

Oh well fuck these dudes, then. I wouldn't be surprised to learn Chris Huelsbeck's involvement was made up, too.

Shiggy

Back in 2011 they already collected EUR 10,000 and I guess those who donated never got anything. Those who gave EUR 250 or more were promised a special edition 3DS.

Mein Name ist Chris Strauß. Ich bin Games-Entwickler und Geschäftsführer von Firehazard Studio. Zu unseren letzten Spielen zählten Safecracker oder Legend of Kay für Nintendo DS.

Bevor ich meine eigene Firma gründete, war ich 6 Jahre bei Nintendo of Europe tätig. In dieser Zeit sammelte ich immer mehr Erfahrung, um meinen Kindheitstraum zu verwirklichen eigene Spiel zu entwickeln.

Ich selber bin ein sehr großer Fan von Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs. Schon als Kind wollte ich immer ein Saber Rider Spiel für mein Super Nintendo haben! Dieser Wunsch ging jedoch nie in Erfüllung...

2005 entschloss ich mich, das Risiko zu wagen und meinen Traum, eigene Spiele zu entwickeln, zu verwirklichen. Mein erstes Konzept war Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - The Game! Mit der Lizenz hat es dann letztendlich 2010 geklappt. Darauf hin stellte ich ein Team, welches die nötige Erfahrung für ein solches Projekt mitbringt, zusammen. Alle Leute in meinem Team sind entweder selber große Fans der Serie oder kennen sie. Auf jeden Fall werden sie für eine perfekte Umsetzung sorgen. Bei der Umsetzung lassen wir größte Sorgfalt walten. Auch kleinsten Details wird Beachtung geschenkt, um der Original TV Vorlage in allen Belangen gerecht zu werden.

Uns ist die Zufriedenheit der Fans und Spieler sehr wichtig und glauben dafür ein sehr gutes Konzept parat zu haben.

Unser Motto: "Von Fans für Fans"

Helft mir meinen bzw. unseren Kindheitstraum zu erfüllen. Ihr könnt uns unterstützen und bekommt exklusive Produkte (u.a. das Nintendo 3DS Spiel, den Soundtrack, eine Nintendo 3DS Custom Special Edition).

Und das beste: Das Geld wird erst von eurem Konto abgezogen, wenn das Projekt finanziert wurde. Also verbreitet das Projekt auch unter euren Freunden.

3D Saber Rider

Hilf mir mit 50€ und du erhältst das Nintendo 3DS Spiel + Schlüsselband + Pin (Star Sheriff EDM) und Nennung im Abspann des Spiels.

Was geschieht mit den Einnahmen durch pling?

Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - The Game hat bisher noch keinen Publisher finden können. Alle bisherigen Bemühungen und Assets rund um das Spiel wurden von mir privat finanziert, leider fällt dies zunehmend schwerer. Der bei pling gesammelte Betrag wird dafür verwendet werden, um die Qualität der Produktion weiter zu maximieren. Jeder Euro, der dem Projekt zur Verfügung steht, hilft alle Aspekte des Spiels zu perfektionieren.
Auf diese Art und Weise werden wir rasch einen Publisher für Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - The Game finden.
Daher hoffen wir auf eine tatkräftige Unterstützung seitens der Fans.

Gemeinsam wird es uns gelingen, einen Kindheitstraum Vieler zu erfüllen.

3DS Custsomer Edition

Hilf mir mit 500€ und du erhältst den Nintendo 3DS Handheld Saber Rider Custom Special Edition + Saber Rider - The Game Nintendo 3DS Version signiert + Game Soundtrack CD + Alle 3 Poster DIN A1 Qualitätsdruck + Saber Rider - The Game Schlüsselband und Pin (Star Sheriff EDM) und Nennung im Abspann des Spiels

Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - THE GAME

Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - Die Helden der Kultserie aus den 80er Jahren kehren zurück!

Im September 2010 kündigten wir von Firehazard Studio in Zusammenarbeit mit World Event Productions das offizielle Videospiel auf Basis der außerordentlich erfolgreichen Trickfilmserie Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs an.

Spiele als Saber Rider, Fireball oder Colt, reite den kraftvollen Steed, fahre den PS starken Redfury Racer oder fliege den wendigen Bronco Buster gegen Nemesis' Schergen!
Befehlige den mächtigen Ramrod und schicke die feindlichen Renegades zurück in die Phantom Zone!

Triff viele Bekannte, Freunde oder Feinde, der original Serie im Spiel wieder.

Die packende Story der Original Serie wird in unserem spektakulären Space Western Game in 12 spannenden und Action geladenen Levels neu erzählt und in einem brandneuem, sehr ansprechen Artstyle präsentiert.

Erlebe die Star Sheriffs in vielen kinoreifen Zwischensequenzen, die die Geschichte während und zwischen den Levelsvoran treibt.

Untermalt wird das Actionfeuerwerk durch einen opulenten Soundtrack basierend auf dem Original Soundtrack von Dale Schacker.

Saber Rider Soundtrack

Hilf mir mit 25 Euro und du erhältst Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - The Game Soundtrack CD + Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - The Game Pin (Star Sheriff EDM)

Durch die Unterstützung der Original Synchronsprecher der Trickfilmserie, erhält das Spiel den passenden Charme, Witz und Flair.

Technisch kommt das Spiel als "on Rails" Shooter daher und bietet einzigartige Grafik und Soundeffekte.

Die State of the Art Grafik wird die verschiedenen Spielplattformen voll ausreizen und bietet auf dem Nintendo 3DS stereoskopisches 3D.

Wird es den Outridern unter Gattler, Jesse Blue und dem obersten Phantomboss Nemesis gelingen, ihren teuflischen Plan in die Tat umzusetzen?
Können die Star Sheriffs der Übermacht der Outrider standhalten und sie zurück in die Phantom Zone schicken?

Das und vieles mehr erfahrt Ihr Anfang 2012 in Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - The Game!

Auch Ihr könnt zum Erfolg von Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - The Game beitragen!
Wir möchten hier auf diesem Weg allen Saber Rider Fans und interessierten Videospielern die Möglichkeit geben, sich aktiv an dem Projekt zu beteiligen.

Als Gegenleistung erwarten euch äußerst interessante und lohnende Rewards, die das Herz eines jeden Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs Fans höher schlagen lässt!

Sei Hautnah dabei, wenn es heißt "Power Stride, Ready to Ride!"

Was really excited when I saw the kickstarter and backed right away, but now after reading Shiggy's comment ...

Back in 2011 they already collected EUR 10,000 and I guess those who donated never got anything. Those who gave EUR 250 or more were promised a special edition 3DS.

... I'm getting doubtful. Maybe the original backers got compensated in some way? In any case, it seems like they reduced the scope of the game, so hopefully this new campaign will be more successful than the first one.

Why would you want to make a Dreamcast port in this day and age :V

Dreamcast & PC Engine before Xbone/PS4... Why?

Stretch goals for Dreamcast, SNES and TG-16?

Are these people having a laugh? Get a grip.

Did you guys know that there were tons of Dreamcast games released after the console's discontinuation? The latest Dreamcast game even came out this year.
As for classic 16-bit consoles, I at least know of Pier Solar, a Genesis/Mega Drive RPG and the SNES action game Nightmare Busters. Both got released as real cartridges only a few years ago.

I'm not sure if you guys question the posibility of a real classic console game and didn't know of these other examples or if you just question this team's ability to realise their lofty ambitions.

First, I was like: Saber Rider? Take all my money! Then I saw the dev team. They all look like businessmen, not feeling very secure backing this.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Did you guys know that there were tons of Dreamcast games released after the console's discontinuation? The latest Dreamcast game even came out this year.
As for classic 16-bit consoles, I at least know of Pier Solar, a Genesis/Mega Drive RPG and the SNES action game Nightmare Busters. Both got released as real cartridges only a few years ago.

I'm not sure if you guys question the posibility of a real classic console game and didn't know of these other examples or if you just question this team's ability to realise their lofty ambitions.

I'm fully aware that games are still being release for retro consoles, but stretch goals are supposed to encourage people to donate beyond the funding goal, this has the opposite effect.

Shiggy

Was really excited when I saw the kickstarter and backed right away, but now after reading Shiggy's comment ...

... I'm getting doubtful. Maybe the original backers got compensated in some way? In any case, it seems like they reduced the scope of the game, so hopefully this new campaign will be more successful than the first one.

Just be careful. With the original funding, they said the game would come out in spring 2012.

The team appears rather dodgy to me.

SpotAnime

If this had any chance of delivering what the campaign is promising, then I'd back in a heartbeat. But file this under "Too Good To Be True". Anyone throwing out so many terms is just doing so to catch attention.

Firebrand

Can't say I heard of the show, though it reminds me of Bravestarr with the mechanical horse, heh.

I mean, it all sounds pretty good, but the one screen they have to show doesn't look very appealing, nor does it feel "16-bit."

Sakujou

Banned
lol i never knew that saber rider is more of a german thing.... i thought this was a US show for a long time and is equally known in every european country.... welp i guess not.

but yeah, would love to see this on vita/3ds.

and i dont know, some of the pics do not really look like 16-bit at all. it looks more 32-bit, if you ask me.

Zaptruder

Banned
While this is certainly nostalgic... they really should've taken a bit more time to put together some mockup screens and assets for the pitch.

Seriously... it's a very minimal requirement for the pitch.

It's OK if they don't present final assets - previous kickstarters have gotten away with doing a few mockups to show players what they might expect from the game, while eventually changing the art style and assets.

A bunch of not game stuff makes it seem scammier than it should be really.

Top Bottom