• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Love you guys!

iUVN3sUkoHxm3.gif

Anyway, I'm watching another English dubbed episode of Sailor Moon R, and I once again heard "Sailor Soldiers" instead of Sailor Scouts. This time, it was the monster of the day saying it. The English title of the episode is "Smart Pay Off." She says Sailor Scouts in the next scene, though...

I get all giddy when they start using more proper terms and names for stuff. Hah. It also happens every time Sailor Moon says "In the name of the moon, I will punish you!" instead of some weird comment that ends in "and that means you!"

Some episodes had writers that stayed closer to original script. I wish all of them did that. Heh.

I never learned to play any of the card games I got, either. Hah.

I wouldn't mind collecting those Sailor Moon cards, though. I wonder how much they go for...

I read somewhere online a while back that it was actually a pretty good card game.

cj_iwakura

I never learned to play any of the card games I got, either. Hah.

I wouldn't mind collecting those Sailor Moon cards, though. I wonder how much they go for...

I read somewhere online a while back that it was actually a pretty good card game.

It seems really cool. It had six decks; the five Inners and Tuxedo Mask(!?). It contains stuff from the first two seasons, and follows the DiC translations. Funny, considering they came out in the early-2000s.

It seems really cool. It had six decks; the five Inners and Tuxedo Mask(!?). It contains stuff from the first two seasons, and follows the DiC translations. Funny, considering they came out in the early-2000s.
Just looked through the Wikipedia page for it, and it actually won an Origins Award for Best Trading Card Game in 2000. Neat.

Anyway, what's funny, exactly...the first two seasons part, or the DiC translations part? Both were the only things available in the U.S. when the card game came out in 2000...though S and SuperS started airing in 2000 as well, though I'm not sure of the exact date. It might have been just before or after the card game came out.

cj_iwakura

Just looked through the Wikipedia page for it, and it actually won an Origins Award for Best Trading Card Game in 2000. Neat.

Anyway, what's funny, exactly...the first two seasons part, or the DiC translations part? Both were the only things available in the U.S. when the card game came out in 2000...though S and SuperS started airing in 2000 as well, though I'm not sure of the exact date.

Oh yeah. Well, I mostly meant that it followed DiC, I figured they'd just be legit by that point. Not like anyone who'd buy that would care about 'Sailor Scouts' vs 'Soldiers'.

As far as I know, prior to the new manga release, everything released used the DiC terms and names. Well, the manga referred to Usagi as Bunny instead of Serena (probably to preserve the rabbit puns), but besides that...yeah. Whatever DiC came up with stuck.

I'm pretty sure that the people buying the card games were the same ones watching the anime in English. There was nothing else officially available in North America up until then, and the card game was obviously created to make money off of people watching it on TV. Everything popular had a card game back then...actually, everything still gets a card game. Hah.

Anyway, besides the Mercury and Mars character decks, the prices on Amazon aren't bad. The big box of 36 packs is pretty expensive, though...but...36 packs! That's what the stores would have.

Edit: I was just looking through my eBay feed, when...this...popped up.

cj_iwakura

As far as I know, prior to the new manga release, everything released used the DiC terms and names. Well, the manga referred to Usagi as Bunny instead of Serena (probably to preserve the rabbit puns), but besides that...yeah. Whatever DiC came up with stuck.

I'm pretty sure that the people buying the card games were the same ones watching the anime in English. There was nothing else officially available in North America up until then, and the card game was obviously created to make money off of people watching it on TV. Everything popular had a card game back then...actually, everything still gets a card game. Hah.

Anyway, besides the Mercury and Mars character decks, the prices on Amazon aren't bad. The big box of 36 packs is pretty expensive, though...but...36 packs! That's what the stores would have.

I never did buy any packs, sadly. I also have the Venus deck, but it's in one of those two boxes. You can tell they're kind of flimsy.

iwfmjsvejvverezkfk.gif

Syrinx

That's going to kill me in my sleep. I'm sure of it.

The last piece of obscure SM memorabilia I own:

cBNl3VG.jpg

Never actually learned the rules...

That's awesome. Reminds me I'm gonna have to take a picture of my Sailor Moon card collection.

Only CCG I played was Ani-Mayhem. No Sailor Moon there, but later had DBZ and my Ranma-chan <3

cj_iwakura

Act 37, my god. This show keeps getting better.

Only in PGSM could Ami pretend to be Usagi.
and get away with it.

And Mako too!

cj_iwakura

A recap episode. Goody.

So wait, this bit about Metallia...
being the result of Serenity and destroying the earth. Is that from the manga or something?

cj_iwakura

I wish this show could make up its mind between being solid character drama with a nice dose of hilarity and fricking power rangers. Then again, I guess it's a perfect adaptation that way!

MikeMyers

Anyway, I'm watching another English dubbed episode of Sailor Moon R, and I once again heard "Sailor Soldiers" instead of Sailor Scouts. This time, it was the monster of the day saying it. The English title of the episode is "Smart Pay Off." She says Sailor Scouts in the next scene, though...

I get all giddy when they start using more proper terms and names for stuff. Hah. It also happens every time Sailor Moon says "In the name of the moon, I will punish you!" instead of some weird comment that ends in "and that means you!"

Some episodes had writers that stayed closer to original script. I wish all of them did that. Heh.

I just can't sit through the dub at all, not too sound like a elitest but I really hate it.

cj_iwakura

So what do you all think about the new show's direction? Are you okay with a reboot, or would you have preferred new ground?

I just can't sit through the dub at all, not too sound like a elitest but I really hate it.

I can't blame you. It's pretty terrible, and Sailor Moon's voice actress reads half her lines in a bit of sarcastic sounding tone. And the dialogue is just bad a lot of the time...and has way too much slang thrown in, which sounds really out of place. People also often read their lines too fast, or with awkward pauses, so it sounds hilariously bad.

I still continue to watch it, though, for some reason, and I don't know why...

As for the new anime...I'm okay with it.

I can't blame you. It's pretty terrible, and Sailor Moon's voice actress reads half her lines in a bit of sarcastic sounding tone. And the dialogue is just bad a lot of the time...and has way too much slang thrown in, which sounds really out of place. People also often read their lines too fast, or with awkward pauses, so it sounds hilariously bad.

I still continue to watch it, though, for some reason, and I don't know why...

As for the new anime...I'm okay with it.

At least it wasn't subject to Malaysian English dubs.. DBZ, Jetman and various Ultraman shows were marred that way. *shudders at the thought of Speedy dubs*

Just finished watching all of the DiC dubbed episodes. I'm sorta surprised that they bothered dubbing a clips show episode, especially when they skipped over six real episodes before. They used different voices for the clips of Kunzite and Queen Beryl, which were hilariously bad. Not sure if Jadeite had a different voice or not...but he barely said anything.

Sailor Moon R's dub was definitely an improvement over the original season, at least in the latter half, but it still could have used a lot of work. At least only one episode was cut this time...but that episode was also missing from the uncut DVDs, so I guess it doesn't count. It seems like Toei never sent it out.

Anyway, I guess I'll start the Cloverway dub of Sailor Moon S. I've heard/read that the writing and accuracy improved over DiC, but that the voice acting got worse for some characters. Heh. At least there are uncut versions of the episodes, and no more of those awkward transition shots.

Edit: The English theme song really doesn't go well with the original Japanese opening sequence. At least the rest of the music is untouched.

"There's no use crying over misspelled silk!"

The first episode felt like a big improvement over the first two seasons. Hopefully it sticks.

Edit 2: In the second episode, Makoto/Lita says that she can't adopt a cat because her "mom is allergic"...her mom is also, you know...dead. I guess it was a TV edit thing to keep continuity with DiC's dub. :/
Aside from that, it was pretty good.

cj_iwakura

Just finished watching all of the DiC dubbed episodes. I'm sorta surprised that they bothered dubbing a clips show episode, especially when they skipped over six real episodes before. They used different voices for the clips of Kunzite and Queen Beryl, which were hilariously bad. Not sure if Jadeite had a different voice or not...but he barely said anything.

Sailor Moon R's dub was definitely an improvement over the original season, at least in the latter half, but it still could have used a lot of work. At least only one episode was cut this time...but that episode was also missing from the uncut DVDs, so I guess it doesn't count. It seems like Toei never sent it out.

Anyway, I guess I'll start the Cloverway dub of Sailor Moon S. I've heard/read that the writing and accuracy improved over DiC, but that the voice acting got worse for some characters. Heh. At least there are uncut versions of the episodes, and no more of those awkward transition shots.

Edit: The English theme song really doesn't go well with the original Japanese opening sequence. At least the rest of the music is untouched.

"There's no use crying over misspelled silk!"

The first episode felt like a big improvement over the first two seasons. Hopefully it sticks.

Edit 2: In the second episode, Makoto/Lita says that she can't adopt a cat because her "mom is allergic"...her mom is also, you know...dead. I guess it was a TV edit thing to keep continuity with DiC's dub. :/
Aside from that, it was pretty good.

The CWi dubs are unbearably awful. You'll hate yourself. The only tolerable voice is Sailor Moon's, and I think Luna's & Artemis' voices are the same.

The CWi dubs are unbearably awful. You'll hate yourself. The only tolerable voice is Sailor Moon's, and I think Luna's & Artemis' voices are the same.

So far, I think it's better than DiC's, but to each their own. I'm only on the third episode so far, though.

Oh, and Jupiter has the same voice as before, too. I think Mars might, but I'm not sure. Everyone else seems to have new voices.
Mercury's new voice is weird, but so was her old one. Moon's is weird, too, but at least she doesn't sound as sarcastic anymore.

P.S. You all need to learn not to long-quote. :p

Edit: Six or so episodes in now. Mercury hasn't said much, but when she speaks, it sounds really, really weird. It's like...the voice actress was just casually reading her lines or something.

UberTag

The CWi dub has worse voice direction but less adaptation shenanigans so they're largely truer to the source material. Aside from that whole cousins nonsense.

Mars is fine because they got Katie Griffin back from her brief hiatus in the 2nd half of SMR. Emilie Barlow switched from voicing Mars to Venus. The only other improvement is Stephanie Beard voicing Rini / Mini Moon. Everyone else is either the same or a downgrade - in large part due to the voice direction taking a dive.

It's practically unwatchable for me. I simply have to watch SMS & SuperS subbed. Whereas I can at least appreciate the flawed DiC dub for its nostalgia.

I'm only watching the dub out of curiosity. Once I'm done, I'm not really sure that I'd ever watch it dubbed again...unless it gets a new one.

Aside from maybe seeing a few random scenes on Toonami or online, I never really watched the English dub of Sailor Moon until I started watching it a few months ago, so I have no nostalgic attachments to any of it.

I normally couldn't really watch more than one or two episodes at a time of DiC's dub. It took me months to finish it. I mostly just watched it while I ate as something to pass the time with.

I've just watched 13 episodes in a row of the S dub, and I'm about to start another. I find this a whole lot easier to watch...but, hey, to each their own.

Top Bottom