• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

cj_iwakura

I agree the TV series quality goes down, but I say it's good up until the end of Season 3. Pretty Womanhood is like the best episode ever, and that's S3.

It's the best part of S3, but that isn't saying much... I think that was the last volume I ever saw, even.
(I used to buy the VHSes as they came out.)

My favorite episodes are probably the first part of Season 2.
You touch her and I'll kill you.

You should! Don't listen to the naysayers; it holds up well. Even better now that the anime actually has a conclusion for once.

There are naysayers? I wouldn't even know. Hah. I loved the show, but it got so long and I missed so many episodes later on, that I just couldn't catch up. I'll probably start it up again sometime soon.

I was really into the show in the past. I'd draw the cast during class, and I bought a few volumes of the manga, the first movie, and even the PlayStation fighting game. I thought about getting the PlayStation 2 games, but never did. InuYasha is what got me into Ranma ½, and I ended up also watching a bit of Urusei Yatsura because of them.

Anyway, on topic, I'm currently tempted to buy some Sailor Moon stuff on Amazon (since I have a lot of credit stored up), but I can't decide what. There's the manga box set 2 (volumes 7-12), Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou!? Shuyaku Soudatsusen for the Super Famicom, one of the S.H. Figuarts figures, and/or a t-shirt. I've been trying to decide what to get for days. Hah.

It's the best part of S3, but that isn't saying much... I think that was the last volume I ever saw, even.
(I used to buy the VHSes as they came out.)

My favorite episodes are probably the first part of Season 2.

30 dollars a VHS tape for 2 episodes. and that was the dub. For some reason Subtitling cost an extra 5 dollars o_o

Those were the days.

There are naysayers? I wouldn't even know. Hah. I loved the show, but it got so long and I missed so many episodes later on, that I just couldn't catch up. I'll probably start it up again sometime soon.

I was really into the show in the past. I'd draw the cast during class, and I bought a few volumes of the manga, the first movie, and even the PlayStation fighting game. I thought about getting the PlayStation 2 games, but never did. InuYasha is what got me into Ranma ½. And I ended up also watching a bit of Urusei Yatsura because of them.

Anyway, on topic, I'm currently tempted to buy some Sailor Moon stuff on Amazon (since I have a lot of credit stored up), but I can't decide what. There's the manga box set 2 (volumes 7-12), Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou!? Shuyaku Soudatsusen for the Super Famicom, one of the S.H. Figuarts figures, and/or a t-shirt. I've been trying to decide what to get for days. Hah.

Ha, Inu-Yasha came out years after I knew of Ranma. Always interesting hearing someone watch them backwards ;P

Also I think you should lean towards the figures. Super Pretty!

cj_iwakura

Confession time: I bought the first issue of Inu-Yasha the day it came out out of love for Takahashi. Still have it, I guess it might be worth something. (It was a simultaneous release.)

I never watched the anime.

MikeMyers

1527000_695832260467897_1099146550_n.jpg

I was really into the show in the past. I'd draw the cast during class, and I bought a few volumes of the manga, the first movie, and even the PlayStation fighting game. I thought about getting the PlayStation 2 games, but never did. InuYasha is what got me into Ranma ½, and I ended up also watching a bit of Urusei Yatsura because of them.

Well I think all popular animes have haters on the internet; just how the internet works.

Ha, Inu-Yasha came out years after I knew of Ranma. Always interesting hearing someone watch them backwards ;P

I knew of it, but I didn't watch/read it until after I got into InuYasha. I didn't really watch much anime until the 2000s, besides stuff like Pokémon and Speed Racer. Then with Toonami and Adult Swim making anime more easily accessible, I got pretty into it.

Well I think all popular animes have haters on the internet; just how the internet works.

Everything does. I just ignore them, and form my own opinions. I'm not easily influenced by others.

By the way, are you getting all of those pictures from the Sailor Moon Memes Facebook page?

cj_iwakura

Ranma is near and dear to me, since it was my first non-televised anime. I got into it because of, all things, the SNES game. I found out it was based on an anime, rented it, saw ads for Urusei Yatsura, watched that, it had ads for all kinds of awesome shows, the rest is history.

Ranma is near and dear to me, since it was my first non-televised anime. I got into it because of, all things, the SNES game. I found out it was based on an anime, rented it, saw ads for Urusei Yatsura, watched that, it had ads for all kinds of awesome shows, the rest is history.

The SNES game was aweosme. the PS1 game Battle Renaissance was awful, but had weather patterns that turned Ranma into a girl and Genma into the panda which was amusing. lol

I'd cry if the bottom picture was the reason ;____;

The SNES game was aweosme. the PS1 game Battle Renaissance was awful, but had weather patterns that turned Ranma into a girl and Genma into the panda which was amusing. lol

There's three SNES games, though! ...well, only one got released in English as a Ranma game, though.
The first game got released in English as Street Combat, then the second one actually got released as Ranma ½: Hard Battle. The third game was never released outside of Japan, though it was planned for release as Ranma ½: Anything Goes Martial Arts, but the company that had the rights to it went out of business before release. A shame, since the third one is supposed to be the best of the bunch by a long shot.

Here are some Classic Game Room/CGRUndertow reviews for them, in order of game release:
Ranma ½: Chounai Gekitouhen
Street Combat (same game as above)
Ranma ½: Hard Battle
Ranma ½: Chougi Ranbuhen

I've been meaning to get the last one for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. I played them years ago, and it's the only one I remember really liking.

There was also an RPG and a puzzle game. Neither got released outside of Japan, but the RPG has a fan-translation.

Yeah off the memes page; they''ve shared pictures of me a few time on there.

I saw the same pictures there recently, so I figured you got them from there. Maybe I should go "Like" the page...I looked into it randomly after some other Sailor Moon page(s) shared stuff from them. I'm not normally into memes, though.

cj_iwakura

I saw the same pictures there recently, so I figured you got them from there. Maybe I should go "Like" the page...I looked into it randomly after some other Sailor Moon page(s) shared stuff from them. I'm not normally into memes, though.

I don't like 'liking' stuff just to view content I'm interested in. Facebook is getting progressively more vile as time goes by. I hope its 15 minutes ends soon.

Cheerilee

30 dollars a VHS tape for 2 episodes. and that was the dub. For some reason Subtitling cost an extra 5 dollars o_o

Those were the days.

I was in a thrift store recently and I saw a giant stack of Ranma VHS tapes for $2 each. They were immaculate and so lovingly cared for. I pondered what it took to collect them... the now-defunct stores that sold them. Unfortunately, I didn't have $150 to spend.

A week later they were gone though, so I assume they went to a good home.

I was in a thrift store recently and I saw a giant stack of Ranma VHS tapes for $2 each. They were immaculate and so lovingly cared for. I pondered what it took to collect them... the now-defunct stores that sold them. Unfortunately, I didn't have $150 to spend.

A week later they were gone though, so I assume they went to a good home.

Yeah, I would just buy the ones with the prettiest looking covers. and by that I mean the ones with Ranma-chan on them :D

There's three SNES games, though! ...well, only one got released in English as a Ranma game, though.
The first game got released in English as Street Combat, then the second one actually got released as Ranma ½: Hard Battle. The third game was never released outside of Japan, though it was planned for release as Ranma ½: Anything Goes Martial Arts, but the company that had the rights to it went out of business before release. A shame, since the third one is supposed to be the best of the bunch by a long shot.

Here are some Classic Game Room/CGRUndertow reviews for them, in order of game release:
Ranma ½: Chounai Gekitouhen
Street Combat (same game as above)
Ranma ½: Hard Battle
Ranma ½: Chougi Ranbuhen

I've been meaning to get the last one for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. I played them years ago, and it's the only one I remember really liking.

There was also an RPG and a puzzle game. Neither got released outside of Japan, but the RPG has a fan-translation.

Yep, I meant the US Released Ranma SNES game. I played the others on a friends emulator before. The Happosai code for Hard Battle still cracks me up xD

Ever play the PS1 game?

This topic needs way more Sailor Pluto, the coolest, prettiest, and strongest (yeah, I said it) senshi ever.

iLq4czu.gif

Was my favorite outer senshi! Between her and Saturn now.

Ever play the PS1 game?

You know...I'm not entirely sure. I might have. I have memories of the game, but I'm not sure if they were all video, or if I actually tried it out at some point. I remember trying a lot of anime-based video games years ago. I know I played all of the SNES/Super Famicom Ranma games, though.

I think trying out one of the Sailor Moon games might have been why I suddenly decided to watch the series in Japanese a few years ago, but I'm not entirely sure. It might have just been some random thing.

You know...I'm not entirely sure. I might have. I have memories of the game, but I'm not sure if they were all video, or if I actually tried it out at some point. I remember trying a lot of anime-based video games years ago.

I still have my Sailor Moon PS1 game as well. Much Squeeing was made first time I played it!

I picked Venus first, naturally. :D

I still have my Sailor Moon PS1 game as well. Much Squeeing was made first time I played it!

I picked Venus first, naturally. :D

It looks silly and not very good, but...is it worth getting for cheap, anyway? I'm sometimes tempted to get the Sega Saturn version of the game, if only to add to my collection.

It looks silly and not very good, but...is it worth getting for cheap, anyway? I'm sometimes tempted to get the Sega Saturn version of the game, if only to add to my collection.

I'd not a great game by any stretch of the animation, but I'd say it's definitely worth owning. Come to think of it, I'd love to have a Saturn version too Eventually.

I mean, just look at that pretty cover!

Dzu8Bch.jpg

I'd not a great game by any stretch of the animation, but I'd say it's definitely worth owning. Come to think of it, I'd love to have a Saturn version too Eventually.

Hmm...well, maybe if I can get it really cheap. I want to finish getting the Super Famicom games, though...at least, R and the S and Super S fighting games, anyway. Not sure about the puzzle games and Another Story.

Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou!? Shuyaku Soudatsusen is apparently a pretty competent fighting game, which supposedly was co-developed by Arc System Works of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue fame. They supposedly also co-developed the MegaDrive/Genesis beat 'em up, which is personally one of my favorite Sailor Moon games. They both do have a bit of a Arc System Works feel, what with the crazy air dashing and hyper fast gameplay, so I can believe they worked on them.

Oh, yeah, since we were talking about Ranma...am I the only one that watched the live-action special? I forgot about it until now. Maybe I'll rewatch that soon. I barely remember it.

cj_iwakura

I mean, just look at that pretty cover!

Dzu8Bch.jpg

I own it. It's terrible!

Nice cutscenes though. Fully animated.

Oh wow, I remember when the Ranma thing was announced. Looked hilarious, never got to see it.

Syrinx

If for whatever reason a new Sailor Moon game were to be made (about nil, I know, but whatever), who would have the rights to it?

Was that even any good?

It's a 2D puzzle platformer where the girls fight the Dark Kingdom within Naru's dreams as she lays sick in a hospital bed. The game seems like it was something else originally that just had the Sailor Moon license thrown into it at the last minute to have something to make money off the popularity of the Italian revival of the series.

It's an average game, I guess.

So wait, did they make a Sailor Moon DS game and then only release it in Italy? Or was that the only place it was localized?

It was only released in Italy.

Italy got a lot of new, exclusive merchandise. The revival there was highly successful, it seems. There was a magazine, new action figures, dolls, the DS game...pretty much anything you could think of.

I've been sick lately. :( Doctor sent me home early with bronchitis. I can talk about Sailor Moon now with peoples I guess while I recover haha..

As for Ranma, goddamn that just reminds me of the tapes I'd get from Japan back in 89 with episodes of Jiban and Turboranger.. ahh memories.

We need more Sailor Moon games?

As long as they're as good as the arcade and MegaDrive games, yes.

The only downside to the MegaDrive game is the lack of multiplayer. :(

Also, the high price it goes for. Glad I managed to score a copy for a cheaper price than the norm.

Oh, yeah, I recently wrote a pro-Sailor Moon Musou game post recently. I think it could be pretty awesome...and I know I'm not alone in thinking that.

Off-topic edit: Started watching the 13th Ranma OVA. I didn't even realize this existed since I watched everything else before it came out. The intro for it is pretty amazing. Haha.

As long as they're as good as the arcade and MegaDrive games, yes.

The only downside to the MegaDrive game is the lack of multiplayer. :(

Also, the high price it goes for. Glad I managed to score a copy for a cheaper price than the norm.

Oh, yeah, I recently wrote a pro-Sailor Moon Musou game post recently. I think it could be pretty awesome...and I know I'm not alone in thinking that.

Off-topic edit: Started watching the 13th Ranma OVA. I didn't even realize this existed since I watched everything else before it came out. The intro for it is pretty amazing. Haha.

Are you talking about the Rumic-World special?

and I would love a Sailor Moon Musou!

Speaking of which; I'm getting a 3DS tomorrow.

We need to advertise SailorMoonGAF!

Congrats! XL, 2DS or normal?

DR2K

Banned
I still don't understand why Saturn didn't just nuke Galaxia, since she was totally capable of it being that she could destroy a planet and all. I don't think the show explained Saturn very well in the final season.

I still don't understand why Saturn didn't just nuke Galaxia, since she was totally capable of it being that she could destroy a planet and all. I don't think the show explained Saturn very well in the final season.
Saturn dies if she uses her ultimate power. (Though she just gets reincarnated again.)

And if she killed Galaxia, Moon wouldn't of been able to heal her with the power of love~

DR2K

Banned
Saturn dies if she uses her ultimate power. (Though she just gets reincarnated again.)

And if she killed Galaxia, Moon wouldn't of been able to heal her with the power of love~

Yeah I'm aware of that. Also Pluto could freeze time as well. Her return also wasn't clearly explained.

I loved the last season, but it felt really out of place for some reason.

I was watching an episode of the R dub ("Emerald Takes Over"), and I was surprised that Sailor Mercury said "Shine Aqua Illusion!" when doing her attack, as she previously always said "Mercury Ice Storm Blast/Splash!" It looks like they decided to use the original name from that episode forward, according to what I just read online. Nice.

Now, if only DiC had done that for some of the other attack names...

I was watching an episode of the R dub ("Emerald Takes Over"), and I was surprised that Sailor Mercury said "Shine Aqua Illusion!" when doing her attack, as she previously always said "Mercury Ice Storm Blast/Splash!" It looks like they decided to use the original name from that episode forward, according to what I just read online. Nice.

so DiC loves Mercury best?

Cheerilee

That's because you crossed from the original 65 episode package into the 17 "new episodes" that were pushed by Irwin Toys. DiC wasn't getting paid enough to put their full effort into butchering the show.

so DiC loves Mercury best?

Hah. I don't know, maybe. But hearing her say her original attack name now makes me smile. Also, I just heard Tuxedo Mask say Sailor Soldiers instead of Sailor Scouts. I was like...

ib0uv33hHxuvLM.gif

Oh, as if owning the patient to interactive loading screens wasn't enough.

...did you mean patent? Anyway, I didn't know they had a patent for that...but it would explain why it's something I only really see in Namco games.

That's because you crossed from the original 65 episode package into the 17 "new episodes" that were pushed by Irwin Toys. DiC wasn't getting paid enough to put their full effort into butchering the show.

Oh, I know. I was just surprised to hear it. I don't know why it'd take any extra effort to change one attack name that they already changed before, though...and everyone else is still using those weird, overly long attack names.

Top Bottom