• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Syrinx

Interesting how this thread has become more about PGSM than the anime or manga. I should give that show a chance sometime.

Not sure if I'd call it the best, but I do really enjoy it, especially on this rewatch I'm doing. It was a bit odd the first time a few years ago, since I wasn't used to watching live-action Japanese shows, but now that I am, it's much more enjoyable. It deserves more attention than it got.

iquFiUvJ5VBzx.gif

I'd love to see an official English DVD/Blu-ray release for the series, but the chances of that are nil. Would be nice, though.

At this point, I'd be happy if we get any sort of Sailor Moon DVD/Blu-ray English releases...practically everyone else got a new DVD release. I think a good portion of Europe and South America has new DVDs. I was tempted to get the Mexican DVDs, but they're a bit expensive for me ($80~$150 on Amazon right now, and they're not complete seasons)...but I guess I could them if I saved up a bit. But I have a tendency of blowing all of my money on video games. Hah. I'll probably just wait and see if we get a U.S. release.

Syrinx

I just figured that if we don't get a release of the original series by the time the new series starts (whenever the hell that is), then it's pretty much never going to happen.

Really puzzling, frankly. It's got to be one of the most recognized anime franchises out there, and there's got to be a good market for it, yet nothing. I remember Novid in the anime thread once said that the license cost for the series here is insanely high, but he was...a questionable source. Though that would probably be the best explanation at this point.

Having grown up watching tokusatsu shows, I wasnt surprised at the costumes and wild hair color, but PGSM surprised the hell out of me with the way they flipped the storyline. Plus all the pretty pretty girls.. (So pretty!)

MikeMyers

Having grown up watching tokusatsu shows, I wasnt surprised at the costumes and wild hair color, but PGSM surprised the hell out of me with the way they flipped the storyline. Plus all the pretty pretty girls.. (So pretty!)

Yeah; but they hid Mercury's beauty by giving her the shy introverted Ami look.

Dark Ami fixed that though!

Was cleaning through my attic and came across my old Mixxzine collection. lol. Perhaps I'll snap some photos sometime. I used to get really excited picking these up.

How the time flies.

cj_iwakura

Was cleaning through my attic and came across my old Mixxzine collection. lol. Perhaps I'll snap some photos sometime. I used to get really excited picking these up.

How the time flies.

Yep, I have them too. MKR and SM in the same magazine? Sold.

Parasyte was great also.

I see SM cosplay everywhere in Florida. I have lots of photos on my desktop.

Oh? I can't remember seeing any...but then, I haven't been to any place where you might find cosplay in years. I think the only convention I went to was the Yasumicon in Miami a few times, since it was free. I haven't been to a convention in, like...7 years or something. I'm not even sure if Yasumicon is still a thing. I can't find any info for it past 2010.

By the way, I posted some Sailor Moon cosplay in the NeoCosplay thread earlier.

cj_iwakura

Oh? I can't remember seeing any...but then, I haven't been to any place where you might find cosplay in years. I think the only convention I went to was the Yasumicon in Miami a few times, since it was free. I haven't been to a convention in, like...7 years or something. I'm not even sure if Yasumicon is still a thing. I can't find any info for it past 2010.

By the way, I posted some Sailor Moon cosplay in the NeoCosplay thread earlier.

I'll be at Animate Miami on January 18th, running a panel on fan translations.

http://animatemiami2014.sched.org/

3:30 PM. There's a slot allocated just for SM Cosplay too!

Yep, I have them too. MKR and SM in the same magazine? Sold.

Parasyte was great also.

Yeah, been to tons of otakons and have seen some great costumes. If you ever feel like sharing some from your collection, the please feel free! :D

P.S. Parasyte was awesome.

I'll be at Animate Miami on January 18th, running a panel on fan translations.

http://animatemiami2014.sched.org/

3:30 PM. There's a slot allocated just for SM Cosplay too!

Hmm...nice! I don't live in Miami anymore, so I doubt that I could make it, but we'll see. Would love to go, though! Been wanting to dress up as Tuxedo Mask for years, actually, but never got the chance to...

I imagine that I have some friends that'll probably end up going, though.

Just watched EP 24 of Sailor Moon season 1.

The feels. =(

Thank the moon Jupiter shows up in the next episode.

What is up with everyone scoring 6,850 points in the Sailor V arcade game?

Am I the only one that loves the song Rainy Day Man? Both versions are amazing, yet so amazingly different. Eh, I grew up on that CD though

cj_iwakura

Am I the only one that loves the song Rainy Day Man? Both versions are amazing, yet so amazingly different. Eh, I grew up on that CD though

Grew up on? I still own it.

So no, you definitely aren't. The dub songs are solid. Heck, Carry On was a better finale song than Moonlight Densetsu for the seventieth time.

Grew up on? I still own it.

So no, you definitely aren't. The dub songs are solid. Heck, Carry On was a better finale song than Moonlight Densetsu for the seventieth time.

:D It's good to hear that from others, it really is. I own the CD, Venus knows what happened to it. Had it on my iTunes forever though. lol.

Totally agree on Carry On being superior for that scene. The song is just damn good. The whole original is just very good

Cheerilee

I just figured that if we don't get a release of the original series by the time the new series starts (whenever the hell that is), then it's pretty much never going to happen.

Really puzzling, frankly. It's got to be one of the most recognized anime franchises out there, and there's got to be a good market for it, yet nothing. I remember Novid in the anime thread once said that the license cost for the series here is insanely high, but he was...a questionable source. Though that would probably be the best explanation at this point.

AFAIK, Takeuchi/Kodansha/Toei simply shut down Sailor Moon in America. Things were already kind of winding down, and trying to wind back up again, but Japan wanted it all to shut down, stay down for a while, and then restart in an organized and controlled way which maximizes Sailor Moon's popularity and maximizes the money that goes to Takeuchi/Kodansha/Toei. One problem though is apparently that Takeuchi/Kodansha/Toei can't agree on how to do that.

The Sailor Moon manga was an expensive gamble in a small market when Mixx first bought it, but then it paid off huge and helped put Mixx/Tokyopop on the map. The sales slowed to a trickle eventually, but around the time Tokyopop's rights were running out, the deluxe reprints started appearing in Japan, and Tokyopop apparently saw this as a way to re-invigorate their sales, and redo their stale 1st-attempt "Mixx era" translation, so they asked Kodansha about renewing their contract for a few more years, and Kodansha said "No". Other publishers apparently contacted Kodansha once they knew Tokyopop was out of the picture, because the Sailor Moon manga rights can be worth serious money, but Kodansha was apparently rejecting all offers, and telling people to stop asking.

ADV contacted DiC after DiC split from Disney/Buena Vista (who made those pink VHS tapes), and scored the rights to release the dub, but when they tried to release the subbed version, Toei gave them problems, because apparently the rights were expiring and Toei refused to extend them. ADV had to bang it out fast and take their money, before the window closed.

Pioneer/Geneon got the rights to the movies, and then they got the rights to S & SuperS, but when their movie rights were expiring, they went to Toei for an extension, and Toei apparently agreed only under the condition that Geneon shave a few years off of their rights to S & SuperS. Toei wanted the whole subject of Sailor Moon closed and finished as soon as possible.

In later years, Funimation apparently said that they absolutely want Sailor Moon (depending on price), and that they had asked Toei about Sailor Moon, but that Toei was not willing to listen to any offers at that time (although Funimation said they intended to keep on asking).

Kodansha USA seemingly got the rights to the Sailor Moon manga because they're Kodansha USA, and they have an "in" with Kodansha, who is very important in the rights issue. Also, Toei is not involved where the manga is concerned. Basically, the only party who needed any convincing was Naoko Takeuchi.

Although it has been said that Kodansha was shutting down all American licensing (most of which had previously been going to Tokyopop), in favor of their partnership with Del Rey Manga (a partnership which became even stronger when Del Rey Manga became Kodansha USA), which was why they were refusing offers (although Dark Horse is still publishing Oh My Goddess). And that Toei was a dick because Toei is a dick.

Speaking of Mio's, I forgot how just plain evil Mio Kuroki is. Just finished rewatching episode 30 of PGSM. Damn her and her empty, soulless eyes and manipulative ways!

Haha...perhaps for the best. :p

Also...no more Venus avatar? :(

I change my avatar quite often! I'm currently watching The World God Only Knows (which I love!) and Elsie is in her "Happy New Years" Kimono, so it works both ways for now :D

No worries, Venus will be back!

tumblr_mk1l5jpNNZ1qgm8obo1_500.gif

cj_iwakura

PGSM 32

Mio is the most repulsive character in like anything, ever. Please just let Usagi moon dust her.

Ami's mother in the next episode!

Mamoru and Usagi's handled a lot differently.

I'm partial to Super S. The wings on her Stars form are a little much.

Cheerilee

...anyway, what's everyone's favorite Sailor Moon form?

I liked the original, but the "Super" costume was the best upgrade. The hair thingies, the multi-layer transparent pieces on the shoulders, the belt, the large bow in back... all perfect upgrades.

I like Eternal and Cosmos, but only as "alternate" costumes. They couldn't make anything better than Super, so they went sideways. That doesn't make them bad, but Super reached that top level first, so it wins, IMO.

Wings are an improvement, but Eternal's wings seemed both too small and too big at the same time. Like, they were too small (IMO), but they were also rigid and clunky, so they just got in the way.

The cape is a very nice addition though. It extends from the sailor collar, doesn't it? That works very well, IMO. The sailor collar makes it work better than most capes.

Top Bottom