• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-Age: Final Fantasy series 1st month sales history (NPD data)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Tactics was robbed considering it was the best FF of that generation. Damn people really didn't mess with SRPGs anymore eh? Shining Force and all of those older games are missed man.
Game seemed kind of obscure back then... and it launched around the same time as big'uns like RE2.

Teeth

Well, I mean I used the word "didn't" in that sentence to denote a time in a the past. I wasn't referring to the present, but instead the generations coming off of Langrisser, Fire Emblem, Shining Force and stuff like Ogre Battle games. The PSX was so great for SRPGS its wild how much I loved those games in comparison to how much they sold I suppose. Kartia was a standout gem for me aside FFTactics.

I don't believe Langrisser was released in North America (unless you mean Warsong for the Genesis).
Regardless, you have to take the numbers in context. I have no numbers to back this up, but I wouldn't be surprised if FD Tactics was the best debut for a SRPG in NA. Games didn't sell enormous numbers back then, and didn't need to. A game that sold 100k was just fine. A 16bit rpg selling 200k in NA was great.

I'd love to see some Shining Force NA numbers, cuz I bet they aren't anything special either.

rataven

That XV number. Nicely done.

I hope Dissidia Arcade fairs well on the PS4. Duodecim is easily my favorite game for the PSP but it never garnered the attention I felt it could have.

Square2015

I'd love to see some Shining Force NA numbers, cuz I bet they aren't anything special either.
Shining Force 2 sold 84,000
Shining Force CD 21,000

I might put Shining in the Darkness at ~40,000 and Shining Force 1 at ~80,000, that's some reverse projecting from data I have, Pretty rough lol (My data goes back to 94)

FFT in last, sigh.
Remember that was its FW. It went on to sell 910,000

Teeth

Shining Force CD 21,000

I might put Shining in the Darkness at ~40,000 and Shining Force 1 at ~80,000, that's some reverse projecting from data I have, no guarantees tho (I only have data back to 94)

Are those lifetime for SF?

Didn't Ogre Battle tank in NA? And there's no way you have Warsong numbers, do you?

AESplusF

Shining Force CD 21,000

I might put Shining in the Darkness at ~40,000 and Shining Force 1 at ~80,000, that's some reverse projecting from data I have, no guarantees tho (My data goes back to 94)

Should have sold even more.

Some Nobody

I mean if you were to do a poll squall would certainly be higher than Vann,Cecil,Zidane,Bartz,terra etc. People remember squall just as much as cloud,lightning,tidus

Unless we talking just gaf than that's an entirely different story

Maaaaybe. Let's face it, there's rioting if FFVI isn't in the Top 3 of any FF ranking. Or there would be, if VI ever came in at less than 3.

Nobody really cares where 8 ranks at all. At the same time, FF6 is in the conversation for greatest RPGs, full stop. There are plenty of 8 fans who'd never do that, as they just know better. :p

HeelPower

This data seems to clash with all established notions about FF sales.

FFXV launch sales are 3x FF7 sales ? Isn't FF7 the unrivaled highest selling SP JRPG ?

Maaaaybe. Let's face it, there's rioting if FFVI isn't in the Top 3 of any FF ranking. Or there would be, if VI ever came in at less than 3.

Nobody really cares where 8 ranks at all. At the same time, FF6 is in the conversation for greatest RPGs, full stop. There are plenty of 8 fans who'd never do that, as they just know better. :p

Really? That's weird since VIII is much better than VI.

Some Nobody

Really? That's weird since VIII is much better than VI.

I'm going off perception and years of forum posts/comment threads. I've never beaten 6, and don't remember much about it.

I HAVE beaten 8, so while I know what you're getting at, what I'm seeing is that VI is a pile of trash not worth restarting.

I'm going off perception and years of forum posts/comment threads. I've never beaten 6, and don't remember much about it.

I HAVE beaten 8, so while I know what you're getting at, what I'm seeing is that VI is a pile of trash not worth restarting.

Oh VI is definitely a more beloved game, and has a more vocal fanbase.

This data seems to clash with all established notions about FF sales.

FFXV launch sales are 3x FF7 sales ? Isn't FF7 the unrivaled highest selling SP JRPG ?

FF7 had great legs, as well as re-releases. Just because it didn't open higher than XV doesn't mean that XV will sell what it has lifetime. By all accounts FF7 will remain the best selling entry in the franchise, and that will probably never change.

rataven

I mean if you were to do a poll squall would certainly be higher than Vann,Cecil,Zidane,Bartz,terra etc. People remember squall just as much as cloud,lightning,tidus

Unless we talking just gaf than that's an entirely different story

Preeeetty sure Zidane usually outranks Squall, and Bartz comes close. Terra probably beats him out too. He's just not very likable and his game is divisive.

EDIT: Yup

Square2015

Are those lifetime for SF?

Didn't Ogre Battle tank in NA? And there's no way you have Warsong numbers, do you?
Yes.

Ogre Battle sold 19,000 (weren't just 25k shipped for NA?)

Warsong is missing from my data, meaning it wasn't selling after 1993.

HeelPower

FF7 had great legs, as well as re-releases. Just because it didn't open higher than XV doesn't mean that XV will sell what it has lifetime. By all accounts FF7 will remain the best selling entry in the franchise, and that will probably never change.

I guess that's just the first 4 weeks ,but I always assumed FF sales were heavily front loaded,with life time sales peaking and consistently dropping since FF7.

Meowster

The hype for FFVIII was real. It's strange that it doesn't have many fans anymore.
FF8ScreenshotRinoa22.jpg

I guess that's just the first 4 weeks ,but I always assumed FF sales were heavily front loaded,with life time sales peaking and consistently dropping since FF7.

7 was the peak yes, but the franchise hasn't "consistently" dropped since 7. Some sell better than others, it really just depends. Like I already stated XV has already outsold 9's LT sales already for example.

The series in its more recent iterations is indeed massively front loaded, but that wasn't the case for 7. It took it a while to get to where it has in units.

Dunno why people are surprised about 8 and 9. The sales usually reflect the quality of the previous game almost all of the time in every series.

XV is an outlier because obviously the previous game is an MMO, and it started out as an entirely different game. Plus the 10 year wait.

Nairume

Banned
Edit: Damn, it released after the PS2 launch in Japan? Yikes.
It released after the North American PS2 launch too.

Dunno why people are surprised about 8 and 9. The sales usually reflect the quality of the previous game almost all of the time in every series.
Yeah, it always seemed like it was commonly accepted that 9 sold less due to 8's reception and the relatively poor timing of its release.

Teeth

Came out years later.

I'm pretty sure xCOM Enemy Unknown blew it out of the water, but I'm trying to relate FFT's success based on its position in the market at the time.

FFTA's success is due to FFT's success.

yunbuns

Someone can find the source but I'm remember a post on here showing the sales of VIII on steam and it was 2nd with XIII being 3rd or vice verse. Also along with VII and X, VIII constantly has the most merchandise pumped out for it. Where as the supposed favorites in the series, VI and IX, barely get anything. There's also some Squall figures on the SE right now. They wouldn't make this stuff if there wasn't a demand for it. The narrative that VIII doesn't have a decent sized fanbase is nonsense,
we're just not obnoxiously vocal like most ff fans are. :p
Preeeetty sure Zidane usually outranks Squall, and Bartz comes close. Terra probably beats him out too. He's just not very likable and his game is divisive.

EDIT: Yup

Those polls don't really mean anything and usually fluctuates depending on what game is popular at the time. Lightning was number one through her entire trilogy and when Dissidia 012 came out her, Yuna, and Tifa were all in the top 3. I'm pretty sure there was a poll for Dissidia arcade and Squall was either 1st or 2nd, although I can't remember if that was ranked based on favorite play style.

XV's sales are rather impressive, especially considering the fact that it's had the highest first month and the number doesn't include digital sales.

Well done, SE.

bigol

So, it not only sold well, but it's amongst the fastest selling Final Fantasy. I didn't expect that.

Considering the highly probable PC version (it's coming) this could be be the highest selling FF ever.

Shame that FF IX sold poorly, i think it's one of the finest Final Fantasy game, coupled with FF VI.

Korigama

Yeah, it always seemed like it was commonly accepted that 9 sold less due to 8's reception and the relatively poor timing of its release.
Not all that "commonly accepted", seeing as this is the first time I've heard of anyone claiming widespread malignment of VIII outside of internet forums was the consensus. Seems more plausible that, other than the poor timing, the shift back to traditional fantasy at the forefront the way that IX did it (and the move away from the more realistically-proportioned models that VIII had just introduced) just didn't appeal to people as much.

Not all that "commonly accepted", seeing as this is the first time I've heard of anyone claiming widespread malignment of VIII outside of internet forums was the consensus. Seems more plausible that the shift back to fantasy at the forefront the way that IX did it (and the move away from the more realistically-proportioned models that VIII had just introduced) just didn't appeal to people as much
Nonsense it's Viii's fault.

Xp

brinstar

Not all that "commonly accepted", seeing as this is the first time I've heard of anyone claiming widespread malignment of VIII outside of internet forums was the consensus. Seems more plausible that, other than the poor timing, the shift back to traditional fantasy at the forefront the way that IX did it (and the move away from the more realistically-proportioned models that VIII had just introduced) just didn't appeal to people as much.

Yeah it was basically this from what I remember. I personally love IX, but I remember a lot of people passing on it for it having a cartoony aesthetic in a time where people were becoming increasingly more insecure about playing games that were "kiddy".

Toth

FF 7 has 20 years worth of sales though.

Those Lightning Returns numbers lmao

And it pretty much sold out the first shipment iirc. SE had clear expectations for that title. It was never going to sell that well considering it being the third game in a devise part of the series and VERY different from its predecessors. Still enjoyed the hell out of it.

Top Bottom