• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-Age: Final Fantasy series 1st month sales history (NPD data)

Cipherr

Shining Force 2 sold 84,000
Shining Force CD 21,000

I might put Shining in the Darkness at ~40,000 and Shining Force 1 at ~80,000
, that's some reverse projecting from data I have, Pretty rough lol (My data goes back to 94)

Ogre Battle sold 19,000 (weren't just 25k shipped for NA?)

Fuuuuuuuuck. Its wild how much lower the sales were. Damn man, those were amazing games. I found SF2 in a bargin bin box at a pawn shop. I dont know why I always let that make me believe it must have sold a LOT in order to have enough copies for one to end up there. Guess not.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Is FF7 still the lifetime sales king of the series? I remember its re-release on PSN was huge and it always topped the PS Classic charts. Steamspy says its got over a million sales from that re-release alone! Any data on its original PC release?

Should have sold even more.
I never bought the Genesis Shining games cause I always played 'em on the Sega Channel! >.>;

Which now that I think about it is an early example of digital not lasting forever~ all the more reason for me to avoid it an keep on with my physical game only run!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tactics was robbed considering it was the best FF of that generation. Damn people really didn't mess with SRPGs anymore eh? Shining Force and all of those older games are missed man.
Only way Tactics could be big is to go the FE route.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
And it pretty much sold out the first shipment iirc. SE had clear expectations for that title. It was never going to sell that well considering it being the third game in a devise part of the series and VERY different from its predecessors. Still enjoyed the hell out of it.

If FFXV was a diamond in a rough, then i'd say LR:FFXIII was an ugly diamond in loads of trash. The game is ugly and may look unappealing due to the convoluted system but once you get a hang of it, the gameplay is fine and the world is pretty big (despite looking like a PS2 open world).

Toth

If FFXV was a diamond in a rough, then i'd say LR:FFXIII was an ugly diamond in loads of trash. The game is ugly and may look unappealing due to the convoluted system but once you get a hang of it, the gameplay is fine and the world is pretty big (despite looking like a PS2 open world).

Yeah, that is why I am hopeful for that rumored FF13 trilogy remaster. Imagine LR being remastered in HD quality.....No more horrendous textures!

Yeah, that is why I am hopeful for that rumored FF13 trilogy remaster. Imagine LR being remastered in HD quality.....No more horrendous textures!

It looks pretty bad on PC. The textures are gonna look like shit in any resolution, because they're shitty textures.

120v

expected FFXII to be much lower... but the install base was so high at that point i guess that sounds about right

also reminds me of how passive the IX launch was. it was just like "oh, another final fantasy" which felt weird coming of the VII era craze

I remember Kagari saying FFXIII actually had nice legs in America NPD in the XV NPD sales thread. I'm assuming it probably got to over 2 Million LTD?

Also I swear XV was closer to 1.8 Million incl digital?

Also yay at no drop between XIII to XV. I know many fans XIII brought to the series who then got XV so this makes sense :p

All this shows is that FF spin offs and sequels are less desirable.

And LR had 0 marketing (1/100th of XIII's) plus looked awful in trailers. XIII looked amazing in trailers. I know we love our XIII was hated by everyone narrative here but puh-lease.

And FFVIII has TONS of fans...another false narrative.

this world doesn't want it

i still need to beat lr :(

Steam FFXIII sales prove you wrong

FF7 was the first FF game for most.

FF8 used to be one of my favs, at the time I rated it higher than the others and for a few years after. It's been so long since there's been a good FF game I just look on the titles up to FF10 with similar fondness now. Maybe that's the case with other FF8 fans.

Kysen

FF13 was a better game than 15. 15 only got better for me once the open world jank ceased mid way through the game.

kswiston

You guys worrying about FF Tactics forget that the one month and mostly done sales pattern for videogames is a modern phenomenon.

"Is COD finally dying?" opening month sales for Infinite War were higher than those of Halo 2, which was the record setter back in 2004. And Halo 2's opening was way higher than anything from the PS1 era.

Final Fantasy Tactics ended up selling 2.3M units worldwide, with over 900k of those units in the west. Given that the game never came out in Europe, those are basically US sales.

The game was a hit.

Square2015

^this
And again it was FFT's FW, the next month it did 105k, and 70k the next (And then 29k) When all was said and done it sold 900k US alone.

Maybe I should post the first couple of months for each game...

Edit: updated info

Top Bottom