• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SALES-AGE: Why Wii will be getting Japanese exclusives (but not Western!)

Banned
KTallguy said:
Wow. :lol

Best is relative. They may be best for someone who has never played games before. But after playing the game a while, the shallowness of your options and the general impreciseness becomes obvious.

Holding the Wii remote isn't the same as holding a tennis racket, golf club, or baseball bat. Not even close. Many of the "correct" motions are counter-intuitive to how you'd play the sport in real life.
Has someone ever like, made a website or a video showing how broken the controls in Wii tennis. I always see this argument, but I have never seen or read anything in-depth about the subject of wii tennis swings being nothing like swings in real life.

fresquito

Has someone ever like, made a website or a video showing how broken the controls in Wii tennis. I always see this argument, but I have never seen or read anything in-depth about the subject of wii tennis swings being nothing like swings in real life.
Only real problem with the swinging is that direction is dependant of the timing.

Durante

Erm, just try it? You can play Wii Tennis by just erratically shaking your wrist. I think the only relevant factor is actually the timing, not the movement.

In my opinion, the only Wii Sports game that really controls well is Bowling.

jakershaker said:
I'm still confused why people choose to focus only on graphics and control methods. It's not the only thing making a Wii game and 360/PS3 game different. Hardware enables you to do stuff, simple as that. Depending on what hardware each console has it decided which kind of games that can be made for it.

You can't boil it down to only being about graphics and controls. Games are about much more then that.
Because Nintendo fanboys wouldn't have a leg to stand on, and the overwhelming majority of developers feel content (or have no choice) just doing the same thing they've done before just prettier... economic reality sucks. :(

Threi

notag
Well i dunno about Wii tennis but there is a video out there of a guy building a Lego robot that makes a bowling arm motion, puts a Wii remote in it, does some tweaks and the thing bowls a 300 game.

Basically the same motion warranted the same result every time in the game, not exactly my idea of "unresponsive".

http://www.battlebricks.com/wiigobot/index.html

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
virtuafightermaster said:
Nintendo could have fixed the problem simply by making Wii more powerful, but they didn't. At $250 price point, I think Nintendo is the only company making money out of hardware, which make me think they could have used some more powerful CPU and GPU, but keep the same price, just don't make alot money on hardware, but will make it back on software.

This wouldn't be possible without changing hardware architectures and breaking a good many things the Wii has going for it.

fresquito

Durante said:
Erm, just try it? You can play Wii Tennis by just erratically shaking your wrist. I think the only relevant factor is actually the timing, not the movement.

You are totally wrong in thinking that. You can't control speed, heigh or effect of the ball by shaking it. Sure, you will hit the ball, but you won't know which kind of shot you will do.

Really, this only shows some people that complains about Wii Sports controls haven't tried the thing beyond a casual play.

Xeke

Banned
Durante said:

And you can play Guitar Hero with a regular controller but why would you want to? The fun that comes from Wiisports tennis is to pretend you're actually swinging a racket...

vanguardian1 said:
This wouldn't be possible without changing hardware architectures and breaking a good many things the Wii has going for it.

Like having a mod chip in his first months of live....,right?

Except for the perfect retrocompatibility, I don't see any good things for keeping the architecture of the GC....

Even more, part of the crappy 3rd party graphic efforts come from this....

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Exclusives people. EXCLUSIVES. The control side conversation has gone on long enough. Here's a reminder:

Why the Wii WILL get some 3rd party Japanese exclusives:

mc-marketshare-pie-67.jpg

mc-wii-lead-67.jpg

Why the Wii WILL NOT get 3rd party Western exclusives:

NPD-MS-PIE-0208.jpg

NPD-NEXTGEN-LEAD-0208.jpg

gtj1092

I think most people would keep playing the franchises they love on whatever system they are announced for. But to act like you wouldn't want the games to look better than previous iterations given the opportunity is disingenuous. I mean we wouldnt have alot of the games we have today if companies decided that NES level hardware was adequate amirite? I mean yeah my favorite game is on it (SMB3 ftw) but I was glad to play Super Mario World and Zelda went to the next level on SNES. And this was allowed by better hardware.

Sadist

fresquito said:
You are totally wrong in thinking that. You can't control speed, heigh or effect of the ball by shaking it. Sure, you will hit the ball, but you won't know which kind of shot you will do.

Really, this only shows some people that complains about Wii Sports controls hasen't tried the thing beyond a casual play.
That's one of the first things I noticed with Wii Sports. I just gave a tiny flick with my wirst but my shots didn't have enough power and was easily returned by the computer or friends I played against. You need to give it a good shove to add speed and direction to the ball. Sure, it's not very deep, but it's not that simple either.

Durante

Xeke said:
And you can play Guitar Hero with a regular controller but why would you want to? The fun that comes from Wiisports tennis is to pretend you're actually swinging a racket...
I agree with that actually, I was just pointing out that none of the games' controls (except Bowling) are actually exact or realistic.

And yes, I am sufficiently adept at both tennis and golf IRL.

Anyway, as Panther said, this thread is about <Ballmer> EXCLUSIVES EXCLUSIVES EXCLUSIVES.

KTallguy

Banned
fresquito said:
Well, Wii Sports controls are deep in many senses. For istance, Tennis is very deep, only you cannot control the movement of your player (big thing, I know). But the swinging is really deep. You can do awesome effects and some crazy shots when you know how to do them. Golf controls are quite deep too, although spinning is lacking. Bowling controls are almost flawless.

The swinging in Tennis is fine, but inconsistent. If I swing the remote the same way with the same timing, but there are two different results, it's not fun for me. Furthermore, there are un-returnable shots in tennis that you can do if your character is positioned in a certain way, but you can't control movement, so it's impossible to predict and defend against such shots.

Virtua Tennis is two buttons and extremely simple, but the placement of your character is very important, and the timing of your swing is also key. The immersion factor is the only thing Wii Sports has over it.

Bowling is better, but if a three year old can fling their arms in the air wildly and get a strike, it just strikes me as uninteresting.

fresquito said:
Point being: Wii Sports does much more right things in the controls than wrongs, even for a hadcrore player, like myself. I simply want more. I want a full Wii Tennis with player movement, I want a full Wii golf and I already have a full bowling game :lol

If I can spin the remote in a circle using the strap and win in Wii Tennis against my friend, it's hard to respect the controls. I'm happy that they can bring people in who don't play games, but they're just not precise enough for me. I don't like winding up my swing one way (like in real tennis) and having that count as my swing. It's baby steps in a good direction, but the experience was flat for me.

fresquito said:
Taking this into account, sooner or later, hardcore gamers will adopt the console with the biggest install base, because it won't only be MH3, it will be many other games. It's happened with DS, when the first RPGs were announced people said they wpouldn't sell, because the same reasons you named. Now DS is RPG land.

Of course there will be bombs left and right, but that's bound to happen in every system. None remembers the craying and laughs that AWDS' bombing caused in MC threads.

DS has a lot of RPGs, but it also has a lot of Brain Training and similar games. I have a few RPGs for my DS, like Shiren and Final Fantasy, but I also have RPGs for PSP, like Crisis Core. Crisis Core is an excellent RPG too. There will probably be good games on both platforms, to be honest. I don't see the Wii completely dominating the Japanese market and all popular franchises. It just doesn't have the functionality that some designers crave (Polyphony, Kojima, Square etc.), and although it delivers a new type of experience, the PS3/360 can deliver new experiences with extremely powerful hardware.

In short, the Wii isn't going to corner the market with franchises and new experiences. Other players in the market have something unique to bring to the table that the Wii cannot provide.

*AHEM*

And this is why the Wii isn't going to have as many exclusives :lol

About this matter....

Didn't a great part of the Japanese exclusivities so far, had more success in the western markets rather than in Japan?...

Zack & Wiki, NMH, Eledees, Trauma Center, etc...

I think the marketshare in Japan is pretty much useless in that sense...

ccbfan

LOL at anyone that thinks Wii sports is anything like the real thing.

You guys should go out and try the real thing for once.

Also have you seen Wii third party sales in Japan. Most are so bad that you might as well not include Japan as a factor for any of the 3 systems.

Redd

ccbfan said:
LOL at anyone that thinks Wii sports is anything like the real thing.

You guys should go out and try the real thing for once.

Also have you seen Wii third party sales in Japan. Most are so bad that you might as well not include Japan as a factor for any of the 3 systems.

People enjoy it because it's fun..........kind of like Rock Band, and Guitar Hero.

gtj1092

PantherLotus said:
Exclusives people. EXCLUSIVES. The control side conversation has gone on long enough. Here's a reminder:

Why the Wii WILL get some 3rd party Japanese exclusives:

Why the Wii WILL NOT get 3rd party Western exclusives:

Didnt you know the NeoGaF Train never stays on the TRACK.

But that was a clear and concise analysis w/o a lot of wording or bias. Letting the numbers speak for themselves.

*pats pantherlotus on back*

Mefisutoferesu said:
Because Nintendo fanboys wouldn't have a leg to stand on, and the overwhelming majority of developers feel content (or have no choice) just doing the same thing they've done before just prettier... economic reality sucks. :(

Wii has it's unique hardware in the controls. PS3/360 has it in the CPU/GPU. Both enables stuff that the other can't do.

What I'm most upset is the people using the 'graphics whore' card every time someone gets upset over a game moving to another platform, often Wii/DS. It's not only the graphics but all the other stuff that you can't do if the CPU/GPU power isn't there. The game that is made for 360/PS3 is NOT the same game with worse graphics and better controls when it lands on the Wii. Game design has to change when moving from one platform to another.

Is it so hard to understand that people get upset? If someone is looking forward to Twilight Princess but suddenly Nintendo moves it to DS it's not only the graphics or the controls they are upset about. The whole game will be diffrent to fit the new hardware.

fresquito

KTallguy said:
If I can spin the remote in a circle using the strap and win in Wii Tennis against my friend, it's hard to respect the controls. I'm happy that they can bring people in who don't play games, but they're just not precise enough for me. I don't like winding up my swing one way (like in real tennis) and having that count as my swing. It's baby steps in a good direction, but the experience was flat for me.
You can smash buttons in Soul Calibur and win. It fdoesn't make the game any worse.

DS has a lot of RPGs, but it also has a lot of Brain Training and similar games. I have a few RPGs for my DS, like Shiren and Final Fantasy, but I also have RPGs for PSP, like Crisis Core. Crisis Core is an excellent RPG too. There will probably be good games on both platforms, to be honest. I don't see the Wii completely dominating the Japanese market and all popular franchises. It just doesn't have the functionality that some designers crave (Polyphony, Kojima, Square etc.), and although it delivers a new type of experience, the PS3/360 can deliver new experiences with extremely powerful hardware.

In short, the Wii isn't going to corner the market with franchises and new experiences. Other players in the market have something unique to bring to the table that the Wii cannot provide.
Yeah, I never said that. All I'm saying is that Wii will grow in many directions, not that it will be the only one growing. The console is perceived as this tool that only does this thing, but as time goes by, this perception is bound to change. Never tried to imply PS3 won't have good games or anything like that.

*AHEM*

And this is why the Wii isn't going to have as many exclusives :lol
Yeah, I know, I know, the topic lends itself to derivative discussions :lol

Threi

notag
gtj1092 said:
I think most people would keep playing the franchises they love on whatever system they are announced for. But to act like you wouldn't want the games to look better than previous iterations given the opportunity is disingenuous. I mean we wouldnt have alot of the games we have today if companies decided that NES level hardware was adequate amirite? I mean yeah my favorite game is on it (SMB3 ftw) but I was glad to play Super Mario World and Zelda went to the next level on SNES. And this was allowed by better hardware.
The this is though, a potential Wii sequel of a PS2 game isn't going to look worse.

gtj1092

jakershaker said:
Wii has it's unique hardware in the controls. PS3/360 has it in the CPU/GPU. Both enables stuff that the other can't do.

What I'm most upset is the people using the 'graphics whore' card every time someone gets upset over a game moving to another platform, often Wii/DS. It's not only the graphics but all the other stuff that you can't do if the CPU/GPU power isn't there. The game that is made for 360/PS3 is NOT the same game with worse graphics and better controls when it lands on the Wii. Game design has to change when moving from one platform to another.

Is it so hard to understand that people get upset? If someone is looking forward to Twilight Princess but suddenly Nintendo moves it to DS it's not only the graphics or the controls they are upset about. The whole game will be diffrent to fit the new hardware.

STOP MAKING SENSE:lol :lol :lol

KTallguy

Banned
fresquito said:
You can smash buttons in Soul Calibur and win. It fdoesn't make the game any worse.

YES IT DOES :lol The Soul Calibur series is broken as hell, and not taken seriously by most competitive people.
Try mashing buttons against me in Street Fighter 2 Turbo, or VF5, and see if you can win.

fresquito said:
Yeah, I never said that. All I'm saying is that Wii will grow in many directions, not that it will be the only one growing. The console is perceived as this tool that only does this thing, but as time goes by, this perception is bound to change. Never tried to imply PS3 won't have good games or anything like that.
Yeah, I know, I know, the topic lends itself to derivative discussions :lol

The Wii will grow and evolve and there will be great games for it. Hell, I have one and I enjoy it. However the DS exclusives are different from PSP exclusives. PS3 exclusives are different from Wii exclusives. All can bring something good and valuable to the table. Big name exclusives (not spinoffs) seem to be going mostly towards the PS3. I really don't think the people who bought MH2P will be buying MH3 on Wii. I think the Wii is worth having for key games though (mostly Nintendo titles).

Xeke said:
AND YOU CAN PLAY GUITAR HERO WITH A NORMAL CONTROLLER?

Why the fuck would you even do that in the first place?

I don't get what this has to do with the discussion.
I'm saying that your ability to perform well in games should be relative to your skill, not your ability to swing a controller in a circle really fast.

Xeke

Banned
KTallguy said:

AND YOU CAN PLAY GUITAR HERO WITH A NORMAL CONTROLLER?

Why the fuck would you even do that in the first place?

Look at me! I can purposely not play the game right and make it work! The game sucks!!

And to comment on the word exclusives again. It's used the wrong way in this thread in my opinion.

A exclusive game can't really be exclusive if it can't be done on any of the competing platforms. A Wii game can't be done on 360/PS3 and the other way around. Is that a missed exclusive if a game lands on a particular side of the fence?

What can happen is that development shifts to either the Wii/PS2 side or the 360/PS3 side. Then perhaps you can say that the other side is loosing a chance to get their own version of the games that are being developed. But an exclusive is a game like Halo 3, that can be done on the PS3 but is exclusive to the 360.

Or am I missing the point?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Relaxed Muscle said:
Like having a mod chip in his first months of live....,right?

Except for the perfect retrocompatibility, I don't see any good things for keeping the architecture of the GC....

Even more, part of the crappy 3rd party graphic efforts come from this....

Let's see here.

A) Backwards Compatibility (you obviously don't care for it, but personally I won't touch a PS3 without it, no matter how long I have to wait for a fair price)
B) Start from scratch with developer tools and graphics engines (aka PS3's situation, except that Nintendo didn't have the advantage of being a major gaming power in the last console race to convince people to develop for a new architecture, and they do not have Microsoft's position of also being a PC developer).
C) In order to compensate for new CPU/GPU architectures and more RAM, they would also need to significantly expand the size of the unit (hint : the Wii's small size is a significant factor in it's popularity).
D) All of these factors together would have increased the costs of the console dramatically, unless they want to risk quality control problems like Mircosoft has. And if Nintendo doesn't make a profit off of their gaming hardware, what
non-existant
division is going to cover their losses?

And btw, the crappy 3rd party graphic efforts come from a LACK of efforts, NOT a lack of hardware.

Durante said:
I agree with that actually, I was just pointing out that none of the games' controls (except Bowling) are actually exact or realistic.

And yes, I am sufficiently adept at both tennis and golf IRL.

Anyway, as Panther said, this thread is about <Ballmer> EXCLUSIVES EXCLUSIVES EXCLUSIVES.

That's kind of the point, and the "problem". If it were EXACTLY like real bowling, tennis, etc, then you've have to be a real pro to be good at the Wii game. Of course it's simplified. I think Wii Sports hits a fair middle ground. I'd like to see it tightened up some, (not all Wii golf games allow you to swing backwards, for example), but the game's much bigger weakness is its lack of content.

Going on topic from there, both Nintendo and 3rd party developers are really missing the boat on expanded versions of the Wii Sports formula. How many people played Wii Sports and/or Wii Play and wanted larger, more in-depth versions of these games? Or other sports, like Football? EA should be all over that. Work with Nintendo to get the Wii name on there--you'll still come out with a money printer after Nintendo takes their cut. Atari could also make a killing with Wii Combat and Wii Pong (blatantly copied/updated in Wii Play, but still just demos).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jakershaker said:
And to comment on the word exclusives again. It's used the wrong way in this thread in my opinion.

A exclusive game can't really be exclusive if it can't be done on any of the competing platforms. A Wii game can't be done on 360/PS3 and the other way around. Is that a missed exclusive if a game lands on a particular side of the fence?

What can happen is that development shifts to either the Wii/PS2 side or the 360/PS3 side. Then perhaps you can say that the other side is loosing a chance to get their own version of the games that are being developed. But an exclusive is a game like Halo 3, that can be done on the PS3 but is exclusive to the 360.

Or am I missing the point?

I was suggesting "next-gen exclusive" (360+PS3 but not Wii) was something completely viable and has been seen quite a few times this gen already. This may not be literally exclusive but the sentiment is relevant in the context of the market leader not getting exlusives.

The idea that the markets of the 360 and the PS3 are so similar (and the assumption that porting costs are negligble) contributing to the Wii not getting western exclusives is the main theory I'm putting forward here.

fresquito

KTallguy said:
YES IT DOES :lol The Soul Calibur series is broken as hell, and not taken seriously by most competitive people.
Try mashing buttons against me in Street Fighter 2 Turbo, or VF5, and see if you can win.
Okay, you win, it does. But the game is still very good and fun to play >_<

The Wii will grow and evolve and there will be great games for it. Hell, I have one and I enjoy it. However the DS exclusives are different from PSP exclusives. PS3 exclusives are different from Wii exclusives. All can bring something good and valuable to the table. Big name exclusives (not spinoffs) seem to be going mostly towards the PS3. I really don't think the people who bought MH2P will be buying MH3 on Wii. I think the Wii is worth having for key games though (mostly Nintendo titles).
The thing is that it could well be a great success without catering to the old fans. The game will be heavily marketed, and it will probably do great numbers, just maybe to a different audience. Who knows.

And yeah, I like that Wii exists and HD consoles exist because there're different routes to go for developers. However, the main problem here is that some people, and publishers alike are afraid to even try.

GTAIV will sure be an awesome game that will get the free roaming to the new level. What some people is afraid to see is that you can get the series to new grounds, just in a different direction. Creating a really interactive control scheme you are istantly making the game reach new shores, and we have only seen some glances in the Godfather or Zack & Wiki.

Now, which one will you preffer is a matter of opinion, but both concepts are new and groundbreaking. But we're in between console wars and agendas and poeople like to hate videogames. I only wish I could have all systems and enjoy them all :lol

gtj1092

Threi said:
The this is though, a potential Wii sequel of a PS2 game isn't going to look worse.

I feel you I really do. But what hurts Wii's perception is that there are alternatives that have better graphics.

I mean my wife is good looking but I know scarlett johansson exist. So if all else is equal I'm going with Scarlett.:D

scarlett-johansson-globes-04g.jpg

PLEASE READ

B4 all the but I don't like her and love is more important. Blah blah blah and so on, while ignoring the point of my analogy; this is my opinion and how I view the situation.

edit/my spelling is atrocious

PantherLotus said:
I was suggesting "next-gen exclusive" (360+PS3 but not Wii) was something completely viable and has been seen quite a few times this gen already. This may not be literally exclusive but the sentiment is relevant in the context of the market leader not getting exlusives.

The idea that the markets of the 360 and the PS3 are so similar (and the assumption that porting costs are negligble) contributing to the Wii not getting western exclusives is the main theory I'm putting forward here.

But those games that are PS3/360 exclusive can't be done on Wii and those games which are Wii exclusive can't be done on 360/PS3?

Wheres the exclusivity then?

Or are you simply saying that more and more franchises will move to the Wii/PS2 camp and abandon the 360/PS3 one? That development will shift to the Wii?

KTallguy

Banned
fresquito said:
Okay, you win, it does. But the game is still very good and fun to play >_<

It's fun, sure. But not fun competitively, at least for me.

fresquito said:
The thing is that it could well be a great success without catering to the old fans. The game will be heavily marketed, and it will probably do great numbers, just maybe to a different audience. Who knows.

And yeah, I like that Wii exists and HD consoles exist because there're different routes to go for developers. However, the main problem here is that some people, and publishers alike are afraid to even try.

GTAIV will sure be an awesome game that will get the free roaming to the new level. What some people is afraid to see is that you can get the series to new grounds, just in a different direction. Creating a really interactive control scheme you are istantly making the game reach new shores, and we have only seen some glances in the Godfather or Zack & Wiki.

Now, which one will you preffer is a matter of opinion, but both concepts are new and groundbreaking. But we're in between console wars and agendas and poeople like to hate videogames. I only wish I could have all systems and enjoy them all :lol

Right on :)

I've worked with Wii titles before, and the controls are very tricky. People think that the Wii remote and nunchuck are like angels descended from heaven, but in reality, to get them to work right 100% of the time is nearly impossible in a real time feedback loop situation. Take for example, waving the Wiimote up to jump. Seems simple. But what if down motion is another action? When you move to shake it up, you're often also going down, which can confuse the game. So maybe you program the game to wait for the up after you swing down, just in case the player meant up. But then, there's a 1 second lag between input and action, which makes the controls feel heavy.

There is a lot to think about with Wii controls. They're great tools, but there are a lot of difficulties with them. There's no magic wand that you wave and get intuitive controls. That's why Mario Galaxy still uses A for jump and you can swing the controller any old way you'd like to spin. If up on the Wii remote was jump and side was spin, and down was duck, Mario Galaxy would be the worst game of 2007.

Sorry about the OT talk.

Pachael

Panther, I know it's probably insignificant but I think the argument will hold a bit more water if the graph was 'Wii lead over 360+PS3 sales' as the latter two are known as HD/hardcore consoles in Japan. I don't see the need to isolate the lead to just the PS3 when in the US you have included 360+PS3, which you've used to argue about Wii exclusives. For instance the latest Cave thread of next-gen shmup goodness has Cave developing for the 360 only despite the Wii's lead and the 360's lack of sales in Japan - this leans towards the assumption that the 360 is strictly 'hardcore'.

Either way the graph won't change so much as the 360 hasn't made any dent in the Japanese market, but still, this is a thread on Wii exclusives. Cave could have ported its shooters over to Wii, which in theory has the most market potential (and of course, its shooters aren't super HD taxing either), but have found that the market of Wii users aren't full of Cave shooter fans.

vanguardian1 said:
Let's see here.

A) Backwards Compatibility
B) Start from scratch with developer tools and graphics engines (aka PS3's situation, except that Nintendo didn't have the advantage of being a major gaming power in the last console race to convince people to develop for a new architecture, and they do not have Microsoft's position of also being a PC developer).
C) In order to compensate for new CPU/GPU architectures and more RAM, they would also need to significantly expand the size of the unit (hint : the Wii's small size is a significant factor in it's popularity).
D) All of these factors together would have increased the costs of the console dramatically, unless they want to risk quality control problems like Mircosoft has. And if Nintendo doesn't make a profit off of their gaming hardware, what
non-existant
division is going to cover their losses?

And btw, the crappy 3rd party graphic efforts come from a LACK of efforts, NOT a lack of hardware.

The could still make money with a more powerful console in the 250$ mark, they did it with GC, so the incresed cost is bullshit to me.

And start from scratch was always part of new generation consoles, and the 3rd parties used this to use old PS2 engines and quickly and dirty games, how is this a benefit?...

More games in less time and without investing money in developing tools and all? Yes.
More quality catalogue? No as we are seeing.

And maybe the small size is nice from an aesthetic point of view, but I don't see any real benefit from it...

The only valid benefit from a gamer point of view is the backwards compatibility.

Sharp

Were the combined Xbox + GC numbers in the US somewhat respectable compared to the PS2 numbers in the US at any point? Or did the yearlong headstart make sure that never happened?

jakershaker said:

I agree with this, but only if the developers actually bother with stuff like AI and physics. So far, with only a couple of exceptions, it's been the same Havok Physics Engine shit coupled with the same retarded AI from last gen.

The potential is there, but the willingness to achieve that potential seems to not be there with devs. I really hope people pick it up. Hideo Kojima and his team can't be the only ones that know how to exploit this particular next-gen advantage.

Sharp said:
Were the combined Xbox + GC numbers in the US somewhat respectable compared to the PS2 numbers in the US at any point? Or did the yearlong headstart make sure that never happened?

Xbox+GC =/= PS2

is not the same as

Wii =/= PS3/360.

Xbox, GC and PS2 had similar hardware and exclusives could be ported. This is not the case with Wii, 360 and PS3.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I agree with this, but only if the developers actually bother with stuff like AI and physics. So far, with only a couple of exceptions, it's been the same Havok Physics Engine shit coupled with the same retarded AI from last gen.

The potential is there, but the willingness to achieve that potential seems to not be there with devs. I really hope people pick it up. Hideo Kojima and his team can't be the only ones that know how to exploit this particular next-gen advantage.

Havok actually brings more to games then you think. Play a couple of old shooters and notice the diffrence :D

Or just play HL2. To be able to pickup a paintcan and throw it at someone doesn't really add to the gameplay other then the lol but for the immersion it's huge. Physics don't have to be tied to a specific gameplay element, it helps bring the world to life.

But talking about physics is only examining one of the strenghts of certain platforms and not the whole question or assumption about exclusivity.

Redd

jakershaker said:
Xbox+GC =/= PS2

is not the same as

Wii =/= PS3/360.

Xbox, GC and PS2 had similar hardware and exclusives could be ported. This is not the case with Wii, 360 and PS3.

Makes you wonder why the Xbox and GC didn't get alot ports of the big hits the ps2 had.

Redd said:
Makes you wonder why the Xbox and GC didn't get alot ports of the big hits the ps2 had.

Well perhaps devs felt that they had achieved what they aimed for and it's more important to start new project then to use resources to port to other platforms. But the most probable cause is that they developed for the PS2 userbase/demographic and their game would not fit the other consoles, or at least it would not be worth the cash to test.

But lots and lots of games went multiplatform and were pretty much the same on PS2/Xbox/Gc.

Redd

jakershaker said:
Well perhaps devs felt that they had achieved what they aimed for and it's more important to start new project then to use resources to port to other platforms. But the most probable cause is that they developed for the PS2 userbase/demographic and their game would not fit the other consoles, or at least it would not be worth the cash to test.

But lots and lots of games went multiplatform and were pretty much the same on PS2/Xbox/Gc.

I guess Devs hate monies then. Maybe they just wanted the audience on the PS2 could be alot of things but I just wondered that's all.

Redd said:
I guess Devs hate monies then. Maybe they just wanted the audience on the PS2 could be alot of things but I just wondered that's all.

Well porting from PS2 to GC/Xbox was not a 100% sure way of making extra money. If it was everyone would do it.

KTallguy

Banned
Haunted One said:
No offense, but I'm glad the game is geared towards the other 90% of players, then. :)

Do you like the satisfaction of getting good at something and accomplishing something?

Like beating Smash Brothers Brawl on hard? Or getting all the purple coins in Galaxy?

Then you're a competitive player.

If you'd like to just hit a button and get flashing lights... well I guess you're like 90% of people.

Redd

jakershaker said:
Well porting from PS2 to GC/Xbox was not a 100% sure way of making extra money. If it was everyone would do it.

Maybe not all of them just wondering about the big exclusive games like you know the main series of Final Fantasy to the xbox. Instead they port the FFXI MMO. Then I see games like Resident Evil 4 ported to the PS2 and it makes me wonder why games like Resident Evil 1remake and zero didn't get ported too. In fact how come Resident Evil 4 was ported to cell phones but not Xbox and 360? Makes me wonder.

Xeke

Banned
KTallguy said:
Do you like the satisfaction of getting good at something and accomplishing something?

Like beating Smash Brothers Brawl on hard? Or getting all the purple coins in Galaxy?

Then you're a competitive player.

If you'd like to just hit a button and get flashing lights... well I guess you're like 90% of people.

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?

Terrell

Zer0 said:
looking at the present.i doubt it

really,dont get me wrong,i like the concept of the wii but his criminaly underdeveloped by third parties,i dont want to see know franchises with wii controls,i want to see games made just for the wii from the scratch and impossible to do on other consoles
So you honestly think SQUARE ENIX would intentionally not put all its effort behind a million-selling franchise of theirs just because it's for Wii?

Delusional thinking just isn't as funny as it used to be, I guess, because such a thought didn't even make me smirk.

Top Bottom