• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Ocho

The latest CyanogenMod Nightly that came out last night for the Note II is based on Android 4.3, and runs great so far. Only frustration is there's still that rogue blue line at the top of the phone app when you're viewing History or Favorites.

Where did you find that? I don't see 10.2 on the official nightly builds.

Occasionally the screen orientation/rotation sensor stops working on my phone. The only way I found to fix it is to restart the phone. I'm on stock Samsung ROM.

This happen to anyone else?

Never had that happen to me though I usually turn mine off. :/

Mine is usually turned off too, but the problem still presents itself in the YouTube app for example, suddenly I can't watch videos in full screen no matter how many times I rotate the phone in every direction and orientation. Normally the YouTube app responds to the device orientation even when the setting for the sensor is turned off.

And YouTube is just an example, when the problem occurs it affects other apps and in the launcher too.

Ragus

Banned
Mine is usually turned off too, but the problem still presents itself in the YouTube app for example, suddenly I can't watch videos in full screen no matter how many times I rotate the phone in every direction and orientation. Normally the YouTube app responds to the device orientation even when the setting for the sensor is turned off.

And YouTube is just an example, when the problem occurs it affects other apps and in the launcher too.

It's a known OS bug. I fixed it by installing CM 10.1, but before that, I used this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ui.robot.rotate&hl=en

Works like charm.

Not sure if others do this, but I've been traveling a lot for work and recently got this set of two spare batteries and a charger for $20 for my note 2. It's changed my life, i never have to worry about charging and rarely even plug in my phone anymore. It also made me stop caring so much about killing apps and conserving power, now that I frequently have 1 or 2 full charges ready to go.

I really don't trust 3rd party batteries. My Note 2 came with a free big battery but I never even plugged it.

Not sure if others do this, but I've been traveling a lot for work and recently got this set of two spare batteries and a charger for $20 for my note 2. It's changed my life, i never have to worry about charging and rarely even plug in my phone anymore. It also made me stop caring so much about killing apps and conserving power, now that I frequently have 1 or 2 full charges ready to go.

That looks like a good investment. I'd jump on it if I wasn't broke. I've been going on 24hr outdoor trips lately and I find myself doing all kinds of things to try and maximize my battery life.

It's a known OS bug. I fixed it by installing CM 10.1, but before that, I used this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ui.robot.rotate&hl=en

Works like charm.

Installed. Thanks!

I just noticed there's a "continuous input" setting on my Note 2 but I can't turn it on. After googling a bit, I read that there's a glitch with accessibility privileges from apps disabling it. Apps like Tasker, NoLED and Light Flow cause it, but I don't have any of them. Is there an app to check the privileges for all apps?

Epix

Galaxy Mega (6.3in)

huawei-ascend-mate-11.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-Mega-6.3.jpg

K1LLER7

Hey guys, I bought a Note 2 around 2 weeks ago and the battery was fine. Use power-save and it would last 3 days before needing a charge.

The past few days, I've noticed that the battery is being drained a lot quicker than before. Especially whilst on standby.

Anyone know ways to better the battery life?

What apps do you have installed? I forgot the term, but there are certain "keep alive" apps that really drain the battery. They're usually messengers.

K1LLER7

What apps do you have installed? I forgot the term, but there are certain "keep alive" apps that really drain the battery. They're usually messengers.
I've not installed any messenger apps. I only installed a few apps like 'flash player', firefox and a football/soccer app.

The 'Samsung App' updated recently on my phone and since then I've noticed it drain quicker.

Had a look around online and found an app 'deep sleep power saver'. Anyone use this before?

Was wondering, has there always been battery issues with the Note 2, or is it something thats hsppened due to android updates?

well, if you're not using the Samsung account sync you can disable sync on that in the account settings. there haven't been battery issues with the Note 2, it's been fantastic.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Media Server is usually the culprit on my phone for battery issues. Normally means some media file I have on there is slightly screwy and that sends the O/S into some weird detection loop for eternity using CPU apparently. No way of knowing which one either, so its blind test/delete everything to root it out or just live with it since the phones beastly battery is always gonna provide me 24 hours+ Hopefully the next Android update we're blessed with fixes it for even more beast life?

K1LLER7

well, if you're not using the Samsung account sync you can disable sync on that in the account settings. there haven't been battery issues with the Note 2, it's been fantastic.
cheers, will check this out. Don't really use the Samsung account :)

Media Server is usually the culprit on my phone for battery issues. Normally means some media file I have on there is slightly screwy and that sends the O/S into some weird detection loop for eternity using CPU apparently. No way of knowing which one either, so its blind test/delete everything to root it out or just live with it since the phones beastly battery is always gonna provide me 24 hours+ Hopefully the next Android update we're blessed with fixes it for even more beast life?

oh yeah, the battery is still pretty great.easily lasts 24+ hours. Was just wondering why the battery was being drained faster. Uninstalled one of the apps I was using and it's improved. Hope it lasts.

The CM 10.2 Nightlies are finally stable and completely usable. Other than Bluetooth connections being a bit weird at times, I'm very happy with it, and don't miss TouchWiz at all.

Got my first hairline scratch today (at least I noticed it today) in the lower right corner of the screen :(

It's about an inch long and I have no idea how it happened... I've put the phone through very risky days before (on a sandy beach, hiking mountains) without any case or screen protector and it surprised me when it didn't get any scratches, but now on a day when I don't leave home and can't remember doing anything that could have scratched it it happens :/

Oh well, 9 months of owning it and never using protection, it was bound to happen.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have been having major wake lock issues with my phone from mdm_hsic_pm0. Searching for fixes has been a failure. Some claim it has something to do with fast dormancy, others say that is bunk. It sucks though, it destroys my battery.

I might try another kernel, but don't even have TWRP or CWM installed.

Ocho

So I want to return to Stock ROM. I have the international N7100 version, and I stupidly forgot to take a screenshot of my ROM version/backup my ROM before rooting, etc. I installed this German stock ROM, but some preinstalled games/apps come included.

Any idea what's a good international ROM I can install without bloatware?

Thanks.

I got the battery drain bug too. It's caused by Mediaserver. I woke up to see Mediaserver eating 60% of the battery. There are several causes but mine was having a file with an underscore in the name. Fixed that easily.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am using JediX 19 with the AOSP theme and it is by far my favorite ROM i have used so far. Have noticed zero bugs and the theme makes Touchwiz look passable. No more ugly ass green everywhere.

My phone has been extremely sluggish the past few days, lagging all the time, and often missing words while I Swype sentences, there's lag after almost every letter I type (writing this post has been frustrating)... I can't figure out the cause; I uninstalled any apps that I don't use, I made sure there's plenty of free space on internal storage (4.3GB), and restarted the phone many times but the problem is still there, even with Power Saving turned off.

Any ideas on what might be causing it? It's driving me crazy.

NH Apache

Banned
My phone has been extremely sluggish the past few days, lagging all the time, and often missing words while I Swype sentences, there's lag after almost every letter I type (writing this post has been frustrating)... I can't figure out the cause; I uninstalled any apps that I don't use, I made sure there's plenty of free space on internal storage (4.3GB), and restarted the phone many times but the problem is still there, even with Power Saving turned off.

Any ideas on what might be causing it? It's driving me crazy.

Any new apps?

Any new apps?

No, none that I recall... I wonder if an update to an app could have caused it, but the problem persists even after I close all running apps. Although I just restarted the phone now and it's better, I'll try to notice if it happens again after I start any particular app.

NH Apache

Banned
No, none that I recall... I wonder if an update to an app could have caused it, but the problem persists even after I close all running apps. Although I just restarted the phone now and it's better, I'll try to notice if it happens again after I start any particular app.

Maybe go crazy and do a battery pull.

NH Apache

Banned
I've an interesting issue.

I've been running a flashed version of the latest sprint OTA for a while.

Recently, on a restart, the phone will boot loop continuously between the sprint startup screen and the Samsung logo. I've booted into twrp and wiped dalvik and cache with no fix. Interestingly, if I battery pull for more than 30 seconds, it'll boot just fine.

Any ideas? I'd rather not reflash but I may have to wipe and do so.

Maybe go crazy and do a battery pull.

I did a battery pull and it happened again very shortly after my phone rebooted, and I had only opened following apps: Whatsapp, YouTube, Chrome, Play Store.

I'm thinking Swype might be the culprit. I've disabled its data sharing and "live" features, let's see if that fixes it.

Ondore

Just got 4.3 OTA from Rogers this morning, actually. Does it actually give anything good besides a feature I'm never going to use (that Knox crap)?

Top Bottom