• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

kmfdmpig

I checked out the S4 in a showroom today, there was a Note 2 right next to it. I played the same video on both of them side by side, and while the S4's screen was slightly sharper, I think the video looked much more impressive on the Note 2.

Size does matter.

I think the video was 1080p but I'm not sure. It was a preloaded Samsung nature montage video, but a different one came on my Note 2, so I assumed this was a new video specifically made to show off the S4's screen.

I love watching videos on my Note 2. I watched a few movies and shows flying across the Pacific a few days ago and it was great. The combination of battery and screen size really makes it a great little media player. One additional benefit is that in 1.5 years when I upgrade my phone it will still be a good little mini-tablet media player.

i know this is from the Galaxy Mega which is an even bigger device, but it still gets the job done...

iqamwhyRBsRqZ.gif

http://i.minus.com/ieGbmPuhkdD6a.gif

http://i.minus.com/ibnxODpCDYXUtU.gif

http://i.minus.com/ib1bwPdqrCAJCK.gif

So I've had my Note 2 for five month now and I still didn't get a protective case for it, or screen protector or anything... Am I crazy outta my mind?

So I've had my Note 2 for five month now and I still didn't get a protective case for it, or screen protector or anything... Am I crazy outta my mind?

well, i've had my Note 2 for 6 months now and 2 weeks ago i had my first drop. it wasn't bad, maybe 3ft onto grass, dirt & gravel. it had on a case and screen protector. not a scratch on the unit.

well, i've had my Note 2 for 6 months now and 2 weeks ago i had my first drop. it wasn't bad, maybe 3ft onto grass, dirt & gravel. it had on a case and screen protector. not a scratch on the unit.

I've dropped mine a coupe of times too, indoors onto wooden floor, pretty high distance though maybe 4-5 ft, but luckily not a scratch either (no case or anything), but I know I won't be dodging bullets for long and I'm dreading the inevitable day if I don't get a case for it. I just can't be arsed to do the research to choose the ideal case for me... which one do you have?

I've dropped mine a coupe of times too, indoors onto wooden floor, pretty high distance though maybe 4-5 ft, but luckily not a scratch either (no case or anything), but I know I won't be dodging bullets for long and I'm dreading the inevitable day if I don't get a case for it. I just can't be arsed to do the research to choose the ideal case for me... which one do you have?

just a cheap one with a belt clip from Amazon.

4uRK9l.png

kmfdmpig

A super cheap one, but I actually like it quite a bit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fashion-S-S...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2ec5cf1288

I also got a free flip case I've never used. For a screen protector these are solid:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AGABISW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ragus

Banned
I do not, as there is some battery drain, compared to Data On. When on WiFi, orange and green arrows next to WiFi singal are constatly being lighten up and that's not the case when I use 3g/H+.

Eiolon

Any recommendations on a better battery for this thing? I drop about 10% every 15 minutes on this thing when streaming video. I usually have to do LTE because my access point sucks for throughput at home and makes the video buffer.

If you're burning 10% every 15 minutes, you're either in a very bad signal area or something else is wrong. You shouldn't use that much battery for a simple video stream.

Ragus

Banned
Days pass and I still can't imagine owning any other phone than this beast. I'm amazed how I love this sexy piece of tech.

kmfdmpig

Days pass and I still can't imagine owning any other phone than this beast. I'm amazed how I love this sexy piece of tech.

Same. It's hard to believe I'm more than 6 months in and there's still nothing I would trade it for (although the S4 would also be nice).

Scalibur

I was forced to upgrade to an S4 today. Contract is up and my wife wants my Note II, but I know I'll be back onboard with the Note III.

Not availble in Poland :(. Fuck you, Hova. I bought Note 2. What more do you want from me?

Well, you have to be American, since this offer was for American Galaxy S3, S4, and Note II.

Kind of funny if you think about since I've heard Jay-Z has a lot of international fans now even as his popularity has declined in the US.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
My phone is having major issues with hanging and random reboots. I think it is the sudden death problem many owners have faced with the internal memory becoming corrupt. I mailed Samsung UK (my phone is the international version) and am waiting to hear back from them. If they won't fix it, it will be a $150 repair I think. :(

Samsung should step up and start offering international warranty.

Ooooh. Does this replace my stock photo app, or is it an additional? If not, how would I go back to stock one if this one is a crashy disaster?

Both galleries and both camera apps stay on your phone. This new one can be uninstalled just like any other app.

I'm probably going to get a new phone so should I get this or an s4? I really like the stylus on this but is there a big enough gap where I should get an s4 instead? I'm on att by the way.

Yep, phone's dead. Samsung UK says customs is a hassle so they won't fix it. Samsung US says they won't fix it because the IMEI number is not on their books. Will try third party repair and see how it goes.

My fault for being foolish enough to buy something with a short retailers warranty.

Last night my Note 2 dropped onto a brick patio and the screen cracked in three places. The rest of the parts, digitizer and lcd don't appear to be damaged. There's also a sizeable dent on the bottom bezel by the s-pen.
:(

I'm so bummed out, does anyone have experience dealing with this?
I'm in NYC and just doing some yelp searching, there are a few well reviewed repair places that charge ~$150 for screen repair. Seems a bit pricey at half the cost of what I paid for the phone, but then again, cheaper than a replacement

I've also found a bunch of DIY replacement kits on ebay, but from what i've read, it's a very risky proposition doing this yourself, especially without experience - but the kits are cheap, around $15-$18 bucks.

Any advice is appreciated.

Well, you can also wait a few months for the Note 3.

I wouldn't give up my Note II for a GS4...

I can't, my family is starting a plan soon so we need to get a phone when we sign up unfortunately. I tried to get them to wait. :(

Edit: Would note 2 ever get an update to add features from the s4 like the translation and other stuff with eye movement?

Last night my Note 2 dropped onto a brick patio and the screen cracked in three places. The rest of the parts, digitizer and lcd don't appear to be damaged. There's also a sizeable dent on the bottom bezel by the s-pen.
:(

I'm so bummed out, does anyone have experience dealing with this?
I'm in NYC and just doing some yelp searching, there are a few well reviewed repair places that charge ~$150 for screen repair. Seems a bit pricey at half the cost of what I paid for the phone, but then again, cheaper than a replacement

I've also found a bunch of DIY replacement kits on ebay, but from what i've read, it's a very risky proposition doing this yourself, especially without experience - but the kits are cheap, around $15-$18 bucks.

Any advice is appreciated.
$150 sounds pretty high for just the glass replacement with the LCD and digitizer still working, but it is NYC so...

and it's a $700 phone. what you paid for it includes the service length of an annual contract. did you know that in California you pay taxes on the full retail price of the handset, even if you 'buy' the actual device for a penny on contract?

I can't, my family is starting a plan soon so we need to get a phone when we sign up unfortunately. I tried to get them to wait. :(

Edit: Would note 2 ever get an update to add features from the s4 like the translation and other stuff with eye movement?

iirc, the S Translator app works on the Note 2 if you root and install it manually as a system app, and as far as the eye stuff goes, Smart Stay and Smart Rotation are already features, dunno if they will add Smart Pause or Smart Scroll...

there's also Google Translate if you don't want to root...

$150 sounds pretty high for just the glass replacement with the LCD and digitizer still working, but it is NYC so...

and it's a $700 phone. what you paid for it includes the service length of an annual contract. did you know that in California you pay taxes on the full retail price of the handset, even if you 'buy' the actual device for a penny on contract?

iirc, the S Translator app works on the Note 2 if you root and install it manually as a system app, and as far as the eye stuff goes, Smart Stay and Smart Rotation are already features, dunno if they will add Smart Pause or Smart Scroll...

there's also Google Translate if you don't want to root...

I was just curious since some of it seemed cool. The translator thing I liked was using the camera when reading a book.

Just pulled the trigger and ordered a Note II to replace my VZW Galaxy Nexus. It comes with the official Protective Flip-Cover, but is there a god-tier case I should get for it?

Can I root/bootloader unlock/switch for the CM 10.1 Nightlies, and still have access to the S-Pen stuff, or is one or the other?

Just pulled the trigger and ordered a Note II to replace my VZW Galaxy Nexus. It comes with the official Protective Flip-Cover, but is there a god-tier case I should get for it?

Can I root/bootloader unlock/switch for the CM 10.1 Nightlies, and still have access to the S-Pen stuff, or is one or the other?

the S-Pen works in CM and 3rd party apps that support it but some of the Samsung apps require the TouchWiz Framework to work.

Updated Note 2 from DLK5 to DME6. Supposedly fixes the warm wifi and battery issue.

Is it just me or is my battery dropping like crazy on wifi? 1% every 3 mins so 5 hours at best.

So my Note II arrives on Tuesday. Are the majority of users sticking with stock, or is there a custom ROM that's preferred. Because I've really become reliant on the CM 101 Nightlies, and would love to use it if there are no serious issues.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So my Note II arrives on Tuesday. Are the majority of users sticking with stock, or is there a custom ROM that's preferred. Because I've really become reliant on the CM 101 Nightlies, and would love to use it if there are no serious issues.

Cm is terrible on Note 2.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Aww, really? So is there a superior custom ROM out there, or is stock the way to go?

Stock or at least stock based roms are the way to go. You can give cm a try, but it has been way too buggy for me to use it as a daily driver.

Plus you lose stuff like multiwindow.

Top Bottom