• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I rooted a phone before and it was a pain. Can someone tell me why i would want to root this one?

Changing DPI settings so you can take actual advantage of the screen size. Using stuff like sixaxis, Greenify, Titanium Backup, edit the startup sounds, install new ROMs if you are a masochist.

Tmobile Note 2 rooting is ultra easy using this method.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1975560

Basically it is just downloading the tar file which is basically the latest stock rom version with root already injected and flashing it in Odin. This doesn't trip your flash counter thus there is no need for triangle away should you need to go for warranty service.

Flashing in Odin is very easy. Download Odin, put your phone in download mode, connecting to your computer, choosing th tar file you downloaded, and hitting start.

It will go, the phone will reboot, and you will be rooted. No custom recovery though. Use Rom Manager or something for that once rooted, but that will trip your flash counter.

My sammy buds that game with my phone died and then I washed my sony earbuds last night. Any recommendations for decent replacements with an in-line mic/volume control? The Samsung phones worked well, but had shitty sound. Everything else seems designed for iPhone :/

Just want to say I learned about Greenify from this thread and it's had a dramatic impact on my battery life. In GSAM, my battery life average (and thats accounting for about a 120 day history) went up by 90 minutes in a week. I would normally be about 50% through heading home from work (about 11 or 12 hours unplugged) and now i'm closer to 70%.

Amazing app, worth rooting the phone for.

Ragus

Banned
I'd love to be able to use multitasking with every app, but installing a custom rom is not for me. Knowing my luck, something would stop working right after I flashed it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'd love to be able to use multitasking with every app, but installing a custom rom is not for me. Knowing my luck, something would stop working right after I flashed it.

You don't have to use a custom Rom to get all app multi window.

mhayze

I wonder if the Note 3 will have a 1080p screen. A few speculation / preview posts elsewhere have posted otherwise (i.e. indicating a 720p screen), which I find strange in a post-Galaxy S4 world. I also hope they don't go much bigger. Ideally, I'd like a GS4 with an S Pen.

Volotaire

I wonder if the Note 3 will have a 1080p screen. A few speculation / preview posts elsewhere have posted otherwise (i.e. indicating a 720p screen), which I find strange in a post-Galaxy S4 world. I also hope they don't go much bigger. Ideally, I'd like a GS4 with an S Pen.

It's beacuse there having problems with a new unbreakable flexible OLED display they're devlopoing making it full HD. So there are rumours that select phones will have the 720p flexible unbreakable plastic OLED screen while others will have the standard 1080p glass screen. It will proabably have all the tech of the GS4 will faster clocked CPU, octa-processor in all devices with S Pen functianility and maybe 3GB of RAM.

I'm not digging the 6 inch rumour. The 5.5 inch atm is pretty big, and I will not be buying a screen that big. bigger screens are great, but it's really ov ther verge of smaller tablet area.

i'm betting on 1080p RGB!

yogloo

I can't wait for note 3. Note 1 with jellybean onboard is starting to show its age.
I am pretty sure it will have 1080p screen. The note is pretty much the king of specs in the galaxy family.

Phone insurance is pretty pointless I think, don't most insurers not cover you if you left your phone in a public place?
The insurance covered everything, including I believe theft or loss.

It did come in handy for a friend of mine who dropped his phone causing a huge blot on his screen. He would have paid $250 to replace the screen but the monthly insurance covered it.

Ragus

Banned
Hmm, I have a problem with that Multi Window mod. I'm following this guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUoa_mDfD1Q&list=FLsCGUH68MnYhsI1TuopDFoA&index=3

Unfortunately, after installing both those apk's and rebooting, I can't bring up that side bar with multitasking apps, and once every 30-40 seconds I get a prompt:

"Unfortunately, com.sec.android.app.flashbarservice has stopped working".

When I uninstall those 2 apk's, everything goes back to normal :/.

EDIT: Oooops, nevermind. Installed it again and now it works like a charm. 2 games simultaneously? Why the fuck not? God, I love this beast.

know what other Penabled tablet got Android 4.1.2 Ice Cream Sandwich this week?

the SGH-I717 AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note, yes, the original one...

Good job there I guess, AT&T.

The good news is the Verizon 4.1.2 build is updated to match the latest International 4.1.2 build. This means that Verizon is actually ahead of AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile's 4.1.2 builds.

If this pattern holds, Verizon will also get 4.2.2 a few months after the other carriers but they will get the latest build of that as well, since Samsung has been pushing out multiple iterations of each version of International 4.x to fix bugs which crop up as the International Note II users update.

From my experience, the best way to root the Note II is by way of apps + security exploit. Flashing works, but it's way more trouble than is needed.

There's a little app called "Framaroot" that works on the newest official firmware, IIRC. (this is the GT7100 though, not sure how much the hardware differs)

I seem to have a little problem.

This weekend I was trying to play an MP3 at the same time as the navigation was working, and I couldn't make it happen.

I'd go to My Files ... etc to the path that the downloaded mp3 podcst (storage>extSdCard/Download) was at, start it (tried Sound Player and Google Play Music)/ I'd click to start the thing, it would begin playing. Then home, Navigation. And the mp3 playback would stop. It was as if the second the player would lose focus, it would stop right there.

My Droid X2 handled this with no issue. I could fire up an mp3 or a playlist, go to the home screen and start nav with only a chug or to an it would work. I have voice set to off, in nav, so I don't see why there would be any interference there.

Is there a setting or something I haven't found that would prevent me from doing this?

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out. If I open the mp3 through the app, rather than opening it as a file, it will play in the background.
My bad. Windows thinking. That was my problem.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I seem to have a little problem.

This weekend I was trying to play an MP3 at the same time as the navigation was working, and I couldn't make it happen.

My Droid X2 handled this with no issue. I could fire up an mp3 or a playlist, go to the home screen and start nav with only a chug or to an it would work. I have voice set to off, in nav, so I don't see why there would be any interference there.

Is there a setting or something I haven't found that would prevent me from doing this?

I have no issues running music and nav at the same time.

so yeah, file this under fun.

Font Apk Creator will turn TTF fonts into Flipfonts that work with some (mostly Samsung) Android devices. no need to root and overwrite system fonts, just a convenient menu under display settings.

and... of course... i had to...

i6067yel.png

DAT COMIC SANS

RoKKeR

My brother is planning on picking this up. I just got the HTC One, and I feel like he is going to end up regretting it, mostly due to size. I mean, is the thing manageable for everyday phone use. The S4/One to me are the perfect size for smart phones, perhaps even a bit large, but the Note (obviously) takes that to the next level.

I'm interested to see if he likes it or not.

My brother is planning on picking this up. I just got the HTC One, and I feel like he is going to end up regretting it, mostly due to size. I mean, is the thing manageable for everyday phone use. The S4/One to me are the perfect size for smart phones, perhaps even a bit large, but the Note (obviously) takes that to the next level.

I'm interested to see if he likes it or not.

depends on the person. handsets the size of the GS4 seems so small to me now.

KillerAJD

Planning on getting this or the S4 (if I can find it) this Friday, but I'm not totally sold on either one yet. It'd be through Sprint. I really would like the larger battery in the Note II (or at least, from what I've seen it makes an appreciable difference compared to the S3, not sure how the S4 stacks up against it), and the bigger screen sure would be nice. Plus, the price is a much better pill to swallow at the moment, haha. But then again, I always love getting the newest versions of shit. Any major standouts between the both of them? And would it be wise to buy an ~8 month old phone with a 2 year contract?

Planning on getting this or the S4 (if I can find it) this Friday, but I'm not totally sold on either one yet. It'd be through Sprint. I really would like the larger battery in the Note II (or at least, from what I've seen it makes an appreciable difference compared to the S3, not sure how the S4 stacks up against it), and the bigger screen sure would be nice. Plus, the price is a much better pill to swallow at the moment, haha. But then again, I always love getting the newest versions of shit. Any major standouts between the both of them? And would it be wise to buy an ~8 month old phone with a 2 year contract?

try them both out? it should be easier when you get them both in your hands.

or wait for the Note 3 in October? <- don't do this

KillerAJD

try them both out? it should be easier when you get them both in your hands.

or wait for the Note 3 in October? <- don't do this

Haha, fair enough. I think I'll end up going Note II just for the price, plus the stylus stuff seems kinda cool (and useful for taking notes at my job). I guess it's all minor things currently that really make the difference for me.

Is it just me or is this phone pretty absolutely terrible as a talking-on, phone phone?

I love it for the screen size and the cool factor and the fun that way, but I am getting really frustrated with it already and it's because I dread having to actually make a phone call or take a phone call. The lack of sidetone does the thing no favors, talking into it feels like talking into a huge flat dead brick, and the volume always feels low and muffled to me. Ugh. I feel like I would like the phone more if it had that one little thing it would stand much more of a chance with me.

Sidetone.

Who the FUCK designs a huge ass phone like this and doesn't activate sidetone on it. If I can fix this somehow either by rooting it or a setting somewhere, good fuck please tell me.

In fact, I came here to whine about the quality of the phone as a PHONE, but I would like to at least give the thing a chance. It is really important that a phone function in a very well-rounded way for me to keep it long term. I can't say I think this thing has long term potential for me without the phone call quality being better.

As a toy - great. As a web surfing thing... cool.

As a phone? For phone calls? Shitty. Really shitty. It is a shitty phone in my opinion (Verizon version). Does anyone know if there is a way to activate sideone on it or am I boned.

I think it makes calls pretty good

Totally disagree. I think most calls sound terrible. Only VZW-VZW calls sound ok to me.

Why would I want sidetone?

It's an age-long debate but I agree with the sentiments expressed in that blog. Without it a phone sounds like a lifeless hunk of plastic. With it, it doesn't. Sidetone fans know who they are, and like me, are usually pretty adamant about it.

I checked out the S4 in a showroom today, there was a Note 2 right next to it. I played the same video on both of them side by side, and while the S4's screen was slightly sharper, I think the video looked much more impressive on the Note 2.

Size does matter.

I think the video was 1080p but I'm not sure. It was a preloaded Samsung nature montage video, but a different one came on my Note 2, so I assumed this was a new video specifically made to show off the S4's screen.

Top Bottom