• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Junipero (Black Mirror S03E04) might be my favorite episode of TV ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fury451

Banned
Shut Up and Dance poorly leverages the show's themes of technology's dark impact on human nature, and even its twist feels like a poor imitation of the one seen in White Bear.

It was a great episode up until
the forced "deathmatch". It was cheesy, unrealistic, and hampered the reveal of the main character's secret.

I don't see too many similarities to White Bear beyond
the most broad idea of a villain protagonist reveal
, and personally thought the episode overall was executed in a very thrilling and upsetting way.

I think its just that fear of dying. They cant feel inside san junipero anymore, but are terrified of not existing. So they just hang around, trying things they havent before.

Also a distinct possibility. I'd certainly fall in that category, the unknown after death is a terrifying prospect.

Also, that plays into why Kelly decided as she did: she had the choice of maybe
reuniting with her lost loved ones in death
, or the guarantee of
spending eternity with Yorkie
. I didn't agree with her choice initially, but I can understand why she made it.

Sethista

Also a distinct possibility. I'd certainly fall in that category, the unknown after death is a terrifying prospect.

Also, that plays into why Kelly decided as she did: she had the choice of maybe
reuniting with her lost loved ones in death
, or the guarantee of
spending eternity with Yorkie
. I didn't agree with her choice initially, but I can understand why she made it.

and I think she sees it as an adventure. She doesnt have to stay with yorke forever, I mean even if there are no expansions and san junipero is all there is, they have multiple decades to be in.

She was just not ready to go yet I suppose

It's a great episode, but I'm surprised at how it's interpreted as having a happy ending and that the unsettling things about it
(the fact that they're dead and part of a huge mainframe)
don't seem to bother people...

It's a great episode, but I'm surprised at how it's interpreted as having a happy ending and that the unsettling things about it
(the fact that they're dead and part of a huge mainframe)
don't seem to bother people...

The thing that bothers me is that, if the technology becomes mainstream and it becomes common for people to upload their consciousness into computers rather than die, what happens then? Do we just have to deal with having tons of servers sitting around with the souls of dead people on them? Can we go in and talk with them, maybe party with grandma? Should we? Presumably part of the simulation working as intended involves the people inside of it not being actively aware of it. Whose put in charge on maintaining them, what happens if the power goes out or they get broken somehow?

It raises all the same questions as the heads in jars museum from Futurama but without the comedy angle.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Because
When you are dead, you are dead. There is nothing. This, even if fake, if not real, if virtual, if on a server farm in China (which it is to all of them. Maybe the China one) is still better than literal nothingness (as in actual nothingness, not an exaggeration for effect, as in the absence of anything). Big whoop it's a glorified MMO, being trapped in a video game where you have the option to "log out" forever whenever you want is infinitely better than having literally nothing because hey, at the end of the day the literal nothingess is always there for you if you get bored of any time period doing anything you want.

It's 100% a happy ending unless you don't think people
should have any control over when they pass when suffering.
And in that case I think you're wrong and people should always have that choice if they have no other option left.
Yeah, this is my biggest problem with the episode as an episode of Black Mirror. This episode depends on you being religious, or at least believing in Heaven (hence the song), so if you are agnostic/atheist, you can't help but see it as a happy ending.

I still think it would have been a better episode if
Yorkie was actually a 20 year old girl choosing to kill herself to escape her homophobic parents than a 60+ year old coma patient.

Zeta Oni

Because
When you are dead, you are dead. There is nothing. This, even if fake, if not real, if virtual, if on a server farm in China (which it is to all of them. Maybe the China one) is still better than literal nothingness (as in actual nothingness, not an exaggeration for effect, as in the absence of anything). Big whoop it's a glorified MMO, being trapped in a video game where you have the option to "log out" forever whenever you want is infinitely better than having literally nothing because hey, at the end of the day the literal nothingess is always there for you if you get bored of any time period doing anything you want.

And in that case I think you're wrong and people should always have that choice if they have no other option left.

This is what makes the episode so great in my eyes.

Here you are quick in the beginning of your post to point out there's nothing after death, and are quick to accept the woman's decision to betray her faith and follow her heart because San Junipero is "real" and "tangible"....

But what your failing to see is that in order to believe the ending is truly a happy one, you still have to have faith. Just faith of a different kind than simply religious, faith in eternal love. They are going to be spending eternity together, after all.

They don't mention the Quagmire as a random throwaway. If you remove all the suffering and misery from reality, as well as give us an eternal time in this "heaven on earth", then what your left with might not be humanity at all. And that's what has people saying this episode is bittersweet imo, because at the final shot,
when you see the server farms, you really have to question if the people in San Junipero are still "human
".

Its a matter of perspective, perspective on the elements that make a human human in the first place.

JaseMath

Maybe it's because I'm a romantic at heart or that my wife cheated on me, but I cried—wept, really—when
the girl passed in the hospital.

I really think the episode should've ended there.

This is what makes the episode so great in my eyes.

Here you are quick in the beginning of your post to point out there's nothing after death, and are quick to accept the woman's decision to betray her faith and follow her heart because San Junipero is "real" and "tangible"....

But what your failing to see is that in order to believe the ending is truly a happy one, you still have to have faith. Just faith of a different kind than simply religious, faith in eternal love. They are going to be spending eternity together, after all.

They don't mention the Quagmire as a random throwaway. If you remove all the suffering and misery from reality, as well as give us an eternal time in this "heaven on earth", then what your left with might not be humanity at all. And that's what has people saying this episode is bittersweet imo, because at the final shot,
when you see the server farms, you really have to question if the people in San Junipero are still "human
".

Its a matter of perspective, perspective on the elements that make a human human in the first place.

Also the relgious aspect of a creator in charge of your life and universe. Regardless of if OUR world has a god San Junipero absolutely has outside beings in charge of maintaining it. What happens if they are negligent, cruel, or just get tired of paying for the electricity? Bye bye to
your heaven

SummitAve

Banned
Because

I guess I don't agree with your assertion that something is better than nothing. Relative to other Black Mirror episodes I thought this fell on the happier side, but I thought it was still a downer. Even if you have the option to log-out of this new life, you're afterlife ultimately still relies and depends on everything that is still human, including accidentally having the power kicked out or a DDOS attack by some Russian teen. That's a bit nightmarish to me, and with no accountability from the dead the epitome of selling false hope to the most vulnerable.

Cth

The only thing that bugged me about the episode, and this is nitpicky..

Is how completely awful she was at Bubble Bobble.

Granted she was distracted, but she kills 2 of the 3 enemies on stage 1.. and then dies.

It's like someone dying from the first turtle on Super Mario.

I can watch s3 without watching S1 and 2 right? If I recall, each episode is a stand alone story? I watched the first 2 episodes of the 1st season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Also the relgious aspect of a creator in charge of your life and universe. Regardless of if OUR world has a god San Junipero absolutely has outside beings in charge of maintaining it. What happens if they are negligent, cruel, or just get tired of paying for the electricity? Bye bye to
your heaven

I guess I don't agree with your assertion that something is better than nothing. Relative to other Black Mirror episodes I thought this fell on the happier side, but I thought it was still a downer. Even if you have the option to log-out of this new life, you're afterlife ultimately still relies and depends on everything that is still human, including accidentally having the power kicked out or a DDOS attack by some Russian teen. That's a bit nightmarish to me, and with no accountability from the dead the epitome of selling false hope to the most vulnerable.
Sure, but there's no sign of any of that in the episode itself. I could just say maybe the future in this world is like Star Trek and everyone lives in harmony and world peace so you wouldn't have to worry about any of that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
All those people in the Quagmire are creepy
old or dead people

The hospital was kind of assholes for not allowing
coma girl to stay in SJ as long as she wanted. She wasn't going to have a problem like the others disassociating reality.

No way this technology comes out to help old people instead of putting us in Sword Art Online.

Indelible

Just binge watched the entire series and this was a stand out episode, they nailed the tone of each era and the writing was on point. Really excited for season 4, just hope it keeps the same high quality.

Sethista

All those people in the Quagmire are creepy
old or dead people

The hospital was kind of assholes for not allowing
coma girl to stay in SJ as long as she wanted. She wasn't going to have a problem like the others disassociating reality.

No way this technology comes out to help old people instead of putting us in Sword Art Online.

The nurse guy said the law didnt let people in for more than 5 hours at a time per week. Maybe they didnt take cometose patients into account?

It could also be used as a prison, the the christmas episode with jon hamm... shit, maybe its the same tecnology.

damm. didnt think f that

After seeing White Christmas I don't think (spoiler about a thing in s03e04)
that the copies are actually them. When they die, they just die, with copies controlled by AI that have their consciousness are left behind. So the character at the end pretty much chose both options without knowing, if she didn't know. The SOMA effect.

Tbf, that's pretty much a different universe.

JCX

It was the only episode of the new season that lived up to the best of the first 2 seasons.

"Heaven is a Place on Earth" has been stuck in my head for months.

mantidor

Give it to Black Mirror that its "happiest" episode
has the two main leads die and leaves you ruminating for hours.

Black Mirror subverts so much stuff that it subverts itself, in an interview Brooker said he specifically framed the episode in the 80s to shock people who expect only futuristic stuff in the series, same with how the story ends.

I do disagree with OP, because starting with this episode and continuing with the rest is a bleak path into an existential crisis, better to watch it last :p

zoukka

Yep it was perfect. I don' care about list wars but it was a perfect episode inside a great series.

Never has "heaven is a place on earth" sounded so apt and good.

It was ok, the best part was the music. The hype here killed the episode for me tbh.

Maybe stop reading hype about things you have yet to see?

zoukka

The only thing that bugged me about the episode, and this is nitpicky..

Is how completely awful she was at Bubble Bobble.

Granted she was distracted, but she kills 2 of the 3 enemies on stage 1.. and then dies.

It's like someone dying from the first turtle on Super Mario.

Everyone dies once to the first goomba.

Davey Cakes

This was the episode that introduced me to (and sold me on) the series.

Well done, and the use of 80s aesthetics and music was the cherry on top.

I can watch s3 without watching S1 and 2 right? If I recall, each episode is a stand alone story? I watched the first 2 episodes of the 1st season.
I started with two episodes from S3 (San Junipero and Nosedive which I also loved) then jumped to S1 then S2. You can basically just go in order of story preference.

Jumeira

Banned
Yep it was perfect. I don' care about list wars but it was a perfect episode inside a great series.

Never has "heaven is a place on earth" sounded so apt and good.

Maybe stop reading hype about things you have yet to see?

Not good advice, the energy from here convinced me to watch the show with San Junipero being the most anticipated, fell flat because of it.

mantidor

I actually don't have a least or most favorite episode, The Waldo Moment had a weak ending because it was abrupt, and Men Against Fire was a little bit too obvious, but besides that, this series is excellent, the fact the rankings vary so much between people is a testament to that.

Surprised it's considered a happy ending when every other episode of the show enforces the idea that digital consciousness does not transfer, but is copied, so essentially the two main characters end up believing something they profess not to (life after death) with a false basis. The way I interpreted it is that they don't live on in SJ, but the server gains an additional pair of "cookies".

Don't forget right before the end one of them mentions
that you can leave at anytime, as in, you will die in SJ and your data will just be deleted basically. So neither of them are stuck there forever. It's more like an indefinite second life until you feel like dying for good.

Agreed though that it's an amazing episode and the same sex relationship aspect didn't feel forced. It felt natural and normal. That's the kind of representation I'd like to see more of. (Side note: even though The 100 is kinda bad, the gay relationships are handled pretty well IMO)

My girlfriend of 4 years parted with me for a woman she had been working with.

We got together the other night and watched this episode and just cried hugging eachother.

It's beautiful.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I realized after reading this thread I hadn't seen "The Entire History of You"

Just watched it

Fuck...that was brutal. Probably a top 5 BM episode for me.

Aske

Surprised it's considered a happy ending when every other episode of the show enforces the idea that digital consciousness does not transfer, but is copied, so essentially the two main characters end up believing something they profess not to (life after death) with a false basis. The way I interpreted it is that they don't live on in SJ, but the server gains an additional pair of "cookies".

Hard not to consider it a happy ending, unless you're religious and think they've trapped their souls in a man-made purgatory. Even if all the characters do is create digital copies of themselves (though I felt the fiction of the episode asked us to believe they somehow did more than that); they've still created sentient progeny capable of feeling love for each other. Whether or not that's for eternity, whether or not they eventually go mad...That's irrelevant, in the same way it would be for any human story which wraps up with the characters in a good place.

Amazing episode. Last scene with "Heaven is a Place on Earth" is transcendent. IMO, because it's Black Mirror and
you're expecting a dark/bleak ending, the happy ending hits even harder.

Precisely, it's a bit like "The Doctor Dances" from the 9th Doctor/Eccleston era of Doctor Who:
the entire two-parter had been scary and miserable and dark. You're expecting something to go wrong or someone to not make it like pretty much every episode and because The Doctor's life is basically suffering. So when the Doctor figures out how to actually, truly save everyone and yells out "Just this once, everybody lives!", it surprisingly hits pretty hard. What would have been a cop-out deus ex machina ending in any other show feels cathartic and joyous.

Of course, Black Mirror/San Junipero is this on a much better and more powerful scale.
With the rest of the show being so goddamn bleak, the one "happy ending" we get is a powerhouse.

Ploid 3.0

Tbf, that's pretty much a different universe.

I didn't think that because of White Christmas, or Soma, WC just made the possibility of this scenario more likely to me. Maybe if we had more time with that world they would have said if it really were their ghosts (Ghost in the Shell), and not something they told sick, or old people on the brink of death to make them feel calmer about dying.

Best Black Mirror episode. Best TV episode of 2016.

Great story, so powerful, and explores the implications of advancing technology as smartly and thought-provokingly as any installment of BM ever has.

There is nothing in the episode suggesting that the ending is anything but happy. At no point did the episode raise the question of the people in San Junipero being real people or clone-copies. It's the same for the logistics of the maintenance of San Junipero. It's not a thing. By raising these questions yourselves, you are bringing additional and external information in the interpretation of the episode, which is a thing to be avoided. Everything you need to interpret a work is in the work itself.

When you're done watching one of the zillion romantic-comedies that Hollywood churns out and the credits start rolling, do you think to yourself "well divorce rates are super high these days, so the ending isn't a happy one"? Because that's kind of what's happening here.

_Ryo_

Because

Yep. I absolutely agree. As an atheist,that doesnt believe in an afterlife, from my perspective it's a truly happy ending.

There is nothing in the episode suggesting that the ending is anything but happy. At no point did the episode raise the question of the people in San Junipero being real people or clone-copies. It's the same for the logistics of the maintenance of San Junipero. It's not a thing. By raising these questions yourselves, you are bringing additional and external information in the interpretation of the episode, which is a thing to be avoided. Everything you need to interpret a work is in the work itself.

When you're done watching one of the zillion romantic-comedies that Hollywood churns out and the credits start rolling, do you think to yourself "well divorce rates are super high these days, so the ending isn't a happy one"? Because that's kind of what's happening here.

I'm inclined to disagree with you. I see Black Mirror, especially this most recent season, as taking current issues and extrapolating them, admittedly to extreme levels. It's almost a series of cautionary tales; a potential road we could be travelling down in the not-so-far future.

I think NOT thinking beyond what's presented in the episodes is a disservice to the story. If we aren't expected to ponder the implications of San Junipero and the
afterlife/are they real or clones, etc.
, why have that final shot of
the server room
at all? Why not just end with
Yorkie and Kelly reconnecting at the beach house?

On the surface, yes, it's a tale of young love with a happy ending. But dig just a little deeper, it's so much more, and deserves to be examined from every angle.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Usually romantic comedies have a person shut their brain off. Black Mirror makes people think. You are asking people to turn off their brains.

Aske

Precisely, although I do think it's entirely intentional that the episode leads superstitious people to interpret omg machines, unnatural!!!! as bleak; and is perhaps a more provocative episode for them for that reason.

And for those who didn't care for the tone, and feel the show should always be somewhat dystopian: I don't think Brooker's aim is necessarily to rail against the technological evolution of Facebook culture every episode. I don't think the black mirror he's holding up for viewers needs to always reflect ugliness. He's a satirist, and while he's certainly cynical, I don't think of him as a dyed-in-the-wool cynic.

Edit: There's a big difference between accepting that this episode unequivocally tells a story of two people which ends happily in tone, and turning off one's brain and ignoring the broader questions raised by the universe in which the story takes place.

For example, I think White Bear is deliberately absurd to the point of ridiculousness (still fantastic, just less reflective of reality than other episodes); and that the universe in which it takes place is less thought provoking than any of the other episodes. I think of it as every bit as anomalous as San Junipero.

I'm inclined to disagree with you. I see Black Mirror, especially this most recent season, as taking current issues and extrapolating them, admittedly to extreme levels. It's almost a series of cautionary tales; a potential road we could be travelling down in the not-so-far future.

I think NOT thinking beyond what's presented in the episodes is a disservice to the story. If we aren't expected to ponder the implications of San Junipero and the
afterlife/are they real or clones, etc.
, why have that final shot of
the server room
at all? Why not just end with
Yorkie and Kelly reconnecting at the beach house?

On the surface, yes, it's a tale of young love with a happy ending. But dig just a little deeper, it's so much more, and deserves to be examined from every angle.

While I agree with this, even in the episode itself there is plenty to give you doubts over precisely how happy or positive it is, and highly disagree with AuthenticM's comment that people are looking for what isn't there in questioning the ending's apparent happiness. As animlboogy stated,
the presence of and comments about the Quagmire raise serious doubts over one's emotional state after being subjected to San Junipero for an extended period, the sense of survivor's guilt generated by losing somebody who never got the chance to go to San Junipero and then going yourself, the comments on how San Junipero is a graveyard where nothing happens forever and you do anything just to feel something, the limited size of San Junipero, the fragility of their relationship throughout the episode largely due to them having dramatically different lives, and the showing of the server room at the end
all provide more than enough material in the episode to give doubt to whether the ending truly is as happy as it appears on a surface level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom