• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandisk announce 512GB sd card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallix87

I'm so glad that technology is advancing at such a rapid rate. Can't wait for my terabyte SD cards and flash drives in a few years.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8522/sandisk-launches-extreme-pro-sd-cards-up-to-512gb

Man, sandisk are just so far ahead of everyone with sd cards. Looking forward to picking one up in a couple of years when the price isn't so insane

So insane that just eight years ago I walked around with a 32MB usb stick and now you can get something even thinner with 16000 times the capacity

My first ever USB was 128KB..... times have changed... for $20 too.

not enough for one Microsoft word file today lmao

Prez

This actually doesn't impress me that much. There are 128GB micro SD cards (which does amaze me) and 4 of those are smaller than this.

128KB? I remember when USB standard came out and I don't remember a stickTHAT small. That's smaller than a Floppy. Who would bother making one that small?

I'm pretty sure you meant 128MB, no? I remember that size.

I never had that issue thank god. I used the 3 100MB disks that came with my drive right up till 2005 when the allure of being able to use a usb stick on any computer - not just those which had the zip drive - overrode the (then) smaller capacity.

this is insane :O I bet is very expensive though :p

$800, but this is their uber performance "extreme" range, and it's just the MSRP.

terrisus

Nope!

Although, even though I was just poking fun at the exact phrasing I WOULD want a large memory card like that more on the New 3DS. Which naturally won't have full sized SD card slots!

Ah, the current 3DS claims that it doesn't support SDXC cards, but they work just fine in it if you format them correctly.

Until someone actually has one of the New 3DSs and tries an appropriately-formatted SDXC card in it and can't get it to work, I'm going to assume that they do as well.

This actually doesn't impress me that much. There are 128GB micro SD cards (which does amaze me) and 4 of those are smaller than this.

How many devices do you have with 4 MicroSD slots?

See, that was the time you should have been using iomega ZIP disks

I remember when people (esp the tech nerds) were hyping this as the next big thing. And that totally did not pan out at ALL.

Sadly my last Sandisk SD card failed on me fairly early and I'm a little bitter about it still. Pretty cool that they got to 512GB though.

Con_Smith

Banned
I'm glad storage space is improving at a fast rate, but I'm still disappointed batteries still can barely keep up with the pace of everything else tech wise.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
If only Google didn't remove SD cards from Nexus devices.

Using an external USB-SD Card reader looks weird.

Bitanator

Ah, the current 3DS claims that it doesn't support SDXC cards, but they work just fine in it if you format them correctly.

Until someone actually has one of the New 3DSs and tries an appropriately-formatted SDXC card in it and can't get it to work, I'm going to assume that they do as well.

New 3DS only takes microSD

Chastten

Banned
128KB? I remember when USB standard came out and I don't remember a stickTHAT small. That's smaller than a Floppy. Who would bother making one that small?

I'm pretty sure you meant 128MB, no? I remember that size.

Pretty sure, yeah... I know there were 32, 16 and I think even 8mb USB sticks, but those costed hundreds of dollars/euro's in the early 00's. Can't imagine sticks smaller then that existed as they wouldve had no real purpose.

terrisus

What are you talking about now?

A quote which may or may not have been said by Bill Gates.

The point is that space requirements are always increasing, and so what seems "unnecessary" now may/will be very necessary in the future.

Chastten

Banned
A quote which may or may not have been said by Bill Gates.

The point is that space requirements are always increasing, and so what seems "unnecessary" now may/will be very necessary in the future.

A salesman told my father in the late 80's (I think) that if he spent a little extra on a 40MB hard drive, he wouldn't need another for the rest of his life. Needless to say, this wasn't the case. :p

Pretty sure, yeah... I know there were 32, 16 and I think even 8mb USB sticks, but those costed hundreds of dollars/euro's in the early 00's. Can't imagine sticks smaller then that existed as they wouldve had no real purpose.

I don't even remember one small as 8MB, lol. 128KB would be cray cray.

I think I started buying them @ around 64MB.

A salesman told my father in the late 80's (I think) that if he spent a little extra on a 40MB hard drive, he wouldn't need another for the rest of his life. Needless to say, this wasn't the case. :p

There were 40mb HDD's in the 80's?

My dad has a box of old computer parts as he used to build them and never throws anything out.

In said box, is a 1MB 3.5" IDE HDD. It blew my mind seeing that a couple years ago

Just by using erroneous basic math, if 64gb is $100, then 512gb would cost $800.

All capacities are available now and the MSRP for the 512GB model is $800, which is certainly high since 512GB SSDs retail for close to $200.
:/

lol dat vita pricing

ss_lemonade

Interesting, never heard of a 128kb flashdrive. What's the point in a 128kb one lol.

USB flashdrives were also pretty damn expensive when they were first introduced

There were 40mb HDD's in the 80's?

My dad has a box of old computer parts as he used to build them and never throws anything out.

In said box, is a 1MB 3.5" IDE HDD. It blew my mind seeing that a couple years ago

Sounds legit, I had a 20MB hard drive in 1990 and it was a budget amstrad 8086 pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom