• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandisk announce 512GB sd card

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCSI

While I expected a 512GB sd card to come out eventually, I never would have imagined it to come out in 2014. But darn.

Prez

A quote which may or may not have been said by Bill Gates.

The point is that space requirements are always increasing, and so what seems "unnecessary" now may/will be very necessary in the future.

Sure though now we can imagine most possible applications of storage so it's a lot easier to predict how much will be a reasonable minimum.

Chastten

Banned
There were 40mb HDD's in the 80's?

My dad has a box of old computer parts as he used to build them and never throws anything out.

In said box, is a 1MB 3.5" IDE HDD. It blew my mind seeing that a couple years ago

Either late 80's or early 90's, not completely sure but I think late 80's. Either way, he payed a couple of 100 guilders (this was way before the Euro :p ) extra for the upgrade from 20 to 40 :p

atomsk

Party Pooper
Just by using erroneous basic math, if 64gb is $100, then 512gb would cost $800.

I was taking into account that this thing cost 800 at retail, and taking into account that regular 64gb SD cards are around 50, while the Vita cards are 100, so it would probably be more in line to say 1600

But even that is probably not scaling it properly

I was taking into account that this thing cost 800 at retail, and taking into account that regular 64gb SD cards are around 50, while the Vita cards are 100, so it would probably be more in line to say 1600

But even that is probably not scaling it properly

Yeah, I didn't even look at the price until after I typed that. $1,600 is a more accurate assumption given their markup.

Damaniel

Banned
As a person who owned (and regularly used) a 8MB CompactFlash card (and have seen, but never owned, a 4MB version), seeing 512GB(!) cards of any form factor is nuts.

These are aimed squarely at the HD/4k digital video market, and are pretty much overkill for anything else, but I still have to give Sandisk credit for actually making it work. The stacked NAND, in particular, is pretty damn nifty.

terrisus

Sure though now we can imagine most possible applications of storage so it's a lot easier to predict how much will be a reasonable minimum.

notsure.jpg

RCSI

What's the speed like on these?

Because I'm envisaging an ultra slim PS3 with this as the "HDD".

It's good for up to 104MB/s.

An ultra slim PS3 with one of these would cost more than a PS4 and Xbox One combined, but it's still an awesome idea. Quick, someone pitch it to Sony!

rpmurphy

And smartphone manufacturers will still make smartphones with 16GB internal storage, with no microSD card option and sell you additional storage for an arm and a half.

mrLeKRfs.jpg
mrLeKRfs.jpg
mrLeKRfs.jpg

Prez

Well I don't care about storing video, games, etc. Just music and I can't discern 320kbps MP3 from lossless. I'm not a big hoarder either (especially with services like Spotify available), so I have a slight idea of what I need.

Eusis

Ah, the current 3DS claims that it doesn't support SDXC cards, but they work just fine in it if you format them correctly.

Until someone actually has one of the New 3DSs and tries an appropriately-formatted SDXC card in it and can't get it to work, I'm going to assume that they do as well.
That isn't what I meant (and I expect the New 3DS to be fully compatible with SDXC anyway), I meant that this is a standard sized SD card rather than a microSD, so it PHYSICALLY will not fit in the New 3DS. Find some pictures with the back panel off and you'll see it, but that's why I linked specifically to the Features there.

terrisus

And smartphone manufacturers will still make smartphones with 16GB internal storage, with no microSD card option and sell you additional storage for an arm and a half.

mrLeKRfs.jpg
mrLeKRfs.jpg
mrLeKRfs.jpg

Naturally.
And it will be touted as a feature and a benefit that they don't include external storage options.

That isn't what I meant (and I expect the New 3DS to be fully compatible with SDXC anyway), I meant that this is a standard sized SD card rather than a microSD, so it PHYSICALLY will not fit in the New 3DS. Find some pictures with the back panel off and you'll see it, but that's why I linked specifically to the Features there.

Yeah, I didn't realize that. Mea culpa.

Well I don't care about storing video, games, etc. Just music and I can't discern 320kbps MP3 from lossless. I'm not a big hoarder either (especially with services like Spotify available), so I have a slight idea of what I need.

Well, hey, if music is all you care about storing and don't care what advancements the future brings, then hey, I guess you're set.

For me, I had a 2GB Hard Drive in my 2nd computer (don't remember the specs of my first computer), and it was plenty of space... But, I definitely wouldn't want to still be stuck with that.

Bodacious

Banned

My dad has a box of old computer parts as he used to build them and never throws anything out.

In said box, is a 1MB 3.5" IDE HDD. It blew my mind seeing that a couple years ago

I can remember when 1MB was a mind-blowing amount of data. In '93 I bought a laptop from "Egghead.com" with a 60MB harddrive, a 66mhz CPU (I think it was a 486DX2), and 2MB?? of RAM. And that laptop literally shat upon anything my fellow classmates had. The closest anyone else had (laptops) was a Toshiba with a 30MB hdd. I also had a 386 desktop system then, and while I can't remember for sure it may have had a 16MB hdd. I played a lot of Wolfenstein and Leisure Suit Larry on that one.

Egghead.com later became newegg.

chronos86

Interesting, never heard of a 128kb flashdrive. What's the point in a 128kb one lol.

USB flashdrives were also pretty damn expensive when they were first introduced

The first USB flash drive was 8mb http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive#First_commercial_product so I think he meant 128 mb. I remember when 128mb drives were like $30 around 2006 , than by 08 I was amazed to find 1 whole gig flash drive for $10. Nowadays you can find 32 GB for under $20.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
In 2003, I bought a 8MB memory card for PS2. Now in 2014 I can buy same memory card but with a size of almost 64000 times more. Damn.

$800 is way too rich for my blood. Still pretty amazing from a tech standpoint though, it wasn't all that long ago when a 1 GB flash drive was expensive and seemed huge.

Prez

SD Cards are so unreliable, I don't get the point of these huge cards. USB pens are even worse, complete garbage, even from brand names.

SD cards are unreliable? I thought they were way more reliable than any other storage format.

SD Cards are so unreliable, I don't get the point of these huge cards. USB pens are even worse, complete garbage, even from brand names.
flash storage is incredible durable. They survive commercial washers or on ocean floors.
A friend of mine forgot his USB pen in his trousers. It survived months in a commercial hotel washer.

I was trying to think how far this would advance - at some point we'll have sd cards so big we can't even fill them. So I just thought of unlimited cloud storage as being the next step.

Then I remembered internet in the US sucks ass thanks to monopolies and got sad that true human innovation is likely being throttled by corporate greed.

terrisus

at some point we'll have sd cards so big we can't even fill them.

So I just thought of unlimited cloud storage as being the next step.

Then I remembered internet in the US sucks ass thanks to monopolies and got sad that true human innovation is likely being throttled by corporate greed.

So you think that we'll have "SD Cards so big we can't even fill them" (grossly underestimating what will come in the future), yet think that the future is being held back by "monopolies and corporate greed?"

Spoiler:
We're never going to have storage "so big we can't even fill it." We'll always find ways to fill it.

Prez

So you think that we'll have "SD Cards so big we can't even fill them" (grossly underestimating what will come in the future), yet think that the future is being held back by "monopolies and corporate greed?"

Spoiler:
We're never going to have storage "so big we can't even fill it." We'll always find ways to fill it.

Some people will, most people won't.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I remember when people (esp the tech nerds) were hyping this as the next big thing. And that totally did not pan out at ALL.

It was a godsend for people doing any kind of freelance (or student) graphics work, for a few years at least. There were similar products before it but they were enormous and cost much more.

I personally own a 10MB HDD manufactured in 1984. It's in my Mac XL. (Apple Lisa with Mac compatibility) The HDD I bought in 1994 was 700MB, which was pretty good at the time.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
4 years. Affordable in six.

It took almost three years to go from 64GB to 128GB and that happened this year. You're dreaming.
Going from 16GB to 128GB took five and a half years and it's the same sized leap. (8x) And progress has slowed.

Mr.Mike

That's really neat and bodes well for phones and laptops. (I'd imagine that if you could get sufficient storage from something this small you'd have more room for battery).

I just really look forward to the day when we can have terabytes worth of SSD storage in our computers for a reasonable price, and any sort of spinning disk will be considered archaic.

Spoiler:

My point was that physical storage/media is only getting bigger/size efficient and faster, so the next innovation would be virtualized. Obviously even with the cloud there has to be physical hardware somewhere, but I'm not referring to that. I'm referring to internet based OSes or something like that, which is not feasible thanks to the corporate greed of cable companies of comcast, att, time warner, etc. Hell, even video streaming with netflix is hitting roadblocks thanks to these companies. If you don't see my point or share my frustration you probably dont live in the US. That's what I meant by innovation being stifled.

terrisus

If you don't see my point or share my frustration you probably dont live in the US. That's what I meant by innovation being stifled.

I do live in the US, and have for the entire 31 years of my life.

Having seen the advancements that have been made with computers since I got my first one 23 years ago, I have no doubts at all that things will continue to advance, requiring more and more space for them.

I do live in the US, and have for the entire 31 years of my life.

Having seen the advancements that have been made with computers since I got my first one 23 years ago, I have no doubts at all that things will continue to advance, requiring more and more space for them.

I'm specifically referring to broadband in the US being significantly worse than in other countries. IMO that's where most of the innovation is going to come from going forward. Since we're having problems with netflix already, that's where my concern comes from.

terrisus

I'm specifically referring to broadband in the US being significantly worse than in other countries. IMO that's where most of the innovation is going to come from going forward. Since we're having problems with netflix already, that's where my concern comes from.

That's a very short-sighted view of things.

If anything, the thing that would hold back innovation the most, is if people who are innovating on things took people seriously like the people in this thread saying there's no need for a 512GB SDCard, since we'll never fill it up anyway.

They lasted 10 years, it was a pretty good run!

They were essential in the mid/late nineties and early millennium for transferring large files.

When exactly did they fade out? I remember that I skipped the zip drives and went straight into burning CDs since the Fujifilm ones were relatively good quality while remaining cheap.

Despite how long they were on store shelves though, I only remember like 2 people actually using them.

That's a very short-sighted view of things.

If anything, the thing that would hold back innovation the most, is if people who are innovating on things took people seriously like the people in this thread saying there's no need for a 512GB SDCard, since we'll never fill it up anyway.

I didn't ever say that.

I was actually marveling at how much technology has progressed in my head and then I thought of broadband in the US and got a bit sad. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom