• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandisk announce 512GB sd card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just buy one of these instead of a HDD next time I want something purely for storage

I wouldn't, easier to lose I guess and the performance probably isn't as good as a solid state. For pure storage a large capacity hdd would suit me fine price wise compared to this.

RCSI

Why do you need a Exabyte... I can't even think of what you could do right now with a Pebibyte. Unless of course you're the NSA.

Where else do you think I'll store Red Dragon 6k RAW files at 100 fps...no wait, your right. Exabyte really is rather a lot even for the most insane thing I can think of.

When exactly did they fade out? I remember that I skipped the zip drives and went straight into burning CDs since the Fujifilm ones were relatively good quality while remaining cheap.

Despite how long they were on store shelves though, I only remember like 2 people actually using them.

In 2004 I remember going into my old uni and they still had an entire floor where every computer had a zip drive built in. That was about when people started using cd's with abandon as dvd's had dropped the price of cd's enough that they could almost be throwaway. People who actually had the zip drives preferred them if the files weren't massive though, as you didn't have to faff around with burning(I never saw one of the fabled 750MB zip disks myself!). It was usb sticks that really killed them, as they had all the pros of zip disks and (once they hit 128MB) none of the drawbacks.

drspeedy

Let's pause for a second: did any other member of OldGAF look at this and think "wait, why is this news that a 512... Oh.... Dayyyyymmmmm"

This is insanity for anyone who had a flash drive in the early 2000's.

Ultima_5

In high school i bought a flash drive for like.... 20 bucks and it held 128MB.... it's crazy to think how much things have improved in the last 8 years

In high school i bought a flash drive for like.... 20 bucks and it held 128MB.... it's crazy to think how much things have improved in the last 8 years

I still have a PC Magazine where they upgraded Flash Drives to a 'buy' when they hit 32MB and 64MB capacities.

Still, I'm trying to find multipurpose device that would take these SD cards, and there seems to be none. The closest I can find is an ultrabook. Looks like these things are pretty much only for DSLR cameras (which is fine)

I still have a PC Magazine where they upgraded Flash Drives to a 'buy' when they hit 32MB and 64MB capacities.

Still, I'm trying to find multipurpose device that would take these SD cards, and there seems to be none. The closest I can find is an ultrabook. Looks like these things are pretty much only for DSLR cameras (which is fine)

A lot of laptops and desktops have SD card slots (especially business ones), but yeah, they're nowhere near as prevalent as usb ports.

Could go for a 1TB usb stick instead lol

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E65QM8O/

Piccoro

And smartphone manufacturers will still make smartphones with 16GB internal storage, with no microSD card option and sell you additional storage for an arm and a half.

No, thats just apple.

Apple and Sony too!
Memory-Card-Price-Comparison.jpg

What brands and models are we talking here?
My pals USB pen? No idea, this was a few years back. But it shouldn't matter for the flash medium itself.
As for cards on the ocean floor, there are a few.

In here was a Lexar Platinum II 8 GB
bildschirmfoto2014-056tjr9.png

In here was a SanDisk Extreme III SD card
550x-photos-googleozkzd.jpg

in both cases the owner was found via the images on the card.

NekoFever

I can remember when 1MB was a mind-blowing amount of data. In '93 I bought a laptop from "Egghead.com" with a 60MB harddrive, a 66mhz CPU (I think it was a 486DX2), and 2MB?? of RAM. And that laptop literally shat upon anything my fellow classmates had. The closest anyone else had (laptops) was a Toshiba with a 30MB hdd. I also had a 386 desktop system then, and while I can't remember for sure it may have had a 16MB hdd. I played a lot of Wolfenstein and Leisure Suit Larry on that one.

Egghead.com later became newegg.

That's a strange feature.

Volotaire

My pals USB pen? No idea, this was a few years back. But it shouldn't matter for the flash medium itself.
As for cards on the ocean floor, there are a few.

In here was a Lexar Platinum II 8 GB
bildschirmfoto2014-056tjr9.png

In here was a SanDisk Extreme III SD card
550x-photos-googleozkzd.jpg

in both cases the owner was found via the images on the card.

That camera looks incredible. It's like it's been through a nuclear apocalypse.

Majmun

Because technology never starts at a higher price and then comes down in price when it becomes more common.
Not like it's going to be $800 for years or something.

Well, okay. Don't even know why I'm complaining. I paid $90 for a 64GB Vita card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom