• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandra Bland Found Dead in TX Jail, Police Say Suicide, Family Disagrees

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not why she was arrested, and I think you know that.

She was arrested because she was confrontational and the arresting officer was a bully with a power hardon. Who then lied.

She is now dead.

DEAD.

As an officer of the law he should of been more patient and in control.

No matter what she said he should of maintained control of things. He tried, but like in most of these threads he went in guns fucking blazing. Suppressing fire and fuck the casualties.

She didn't beak a law you haven't and which you know to be so pathetic its not worth chasing.

Arguably American society is struggling with its racist history and its police force and correction officers are poorly trained and regularly get away with murder.

Its a shame as I love your country and agree with lots of things but as an outsider looking in.... You guys need to smoke a peace pipe. Its murder and guns guns guns. As someone who almost joined the MET police here in London I feel passionately about what a police officer should do and be.

We all do. Isn't that the point of this whole thing? Look at what actually happened, and don't just rant about how upset you are because reasons.

Now its you who is being purposely obtuse. You know exactly what my point was. Who gives a fuck about "resisting arrest" (lol please) when the entire situation was escalated by the officer. This is a none violent crime and you had no intention of even giving a ticket. Why have you taken the situation from 0 to 100 over a cigarette and a refusal to leave the car? Its a trafic stop, who fucking cares about "asserting. power"?

Get fucking real man, people aren't always nice but the guy with the gun saying "I'm gonna light you up" over failure to signal is absolutely more responsible than the annoyed civilian. I shouldnt have to be nice to a cop or have my respect as a human being shit on. That's not how it works.

And my response isn't emotional because reasons. My response is angry because people with power given to them to protect others can not just abuseit because it suits their mood. Police officers need to be the most tolerant members of society because tjry are granted all this extra privellage to use it in the protection of citizens. So excsuse me if I get fucking mad when an officer says he's going to light up a citizen over non compliance on not only a non violent crime but a fucking trafic.infringement.

v0yce

We all do. Isn't that the point of this whole thing? Look at what actually happened, and don't just rant about how upset you are because reasons.

Weird. I was thinking you should should actually look at what happened and not just die at the stake on what is written law and you're odd 'he's an officer so just bend over' mentality.

Watching the video, it's clear as day he was abusing his power because she ruffled his feathers a bit.

I mean he pulled her over because she didn't use a blinker when changing lanes to get out of his way when no one was around. That's ridiculous.

If it was just a warning he could have simply let her know the first time he spoke with her but he didn't. He ran her license and went fishing letting her stew the whole time. Then came back and immediately started poking her about being upset.

Then he went full moron yanking her out of the car and putting her to the ground.

And he finishes with a bunch of garbage when he's reporting it over the radio.

I am totally bewildered how anyone can say "well he's a dick, but it's her fault." That's just gross.

I guess look it up 18 Year old Kindra Chapman happened a day after bland. Also there is a lot of controversy over Bland mugshot

Chapman's family released a statement to AL.com saying they believe her death was suicide but they are concerned how it happened in police custody.

"We are so grateful for the outpouring of support for Kindra. We are devastated that she is gone, and we miss her terribly,'' according to a family statement released to AL.com this afternoon from the Birmingham law firm of Marsh, Rickard and Bryan. "We want the world to know what a wonderful soul she was. At the same time, we want the world to know that her death was a suicide. We have hired lawyers to investigate how this could have happened while she was in police custody."

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/i...a_chapmans_death_in_alaba.html#incart_m-rpt-2

She was arrested because she was confrontational and the arresting officer was a bully with a power hardon. Who then lied.

She is now dead.

DEAD.

No matter what she said he should of maintained control of things. He tried, but like in most of these threads he went in guns fucking blazing. Suppressing fire and fuck the casualties.

She didn't beak a law you haven't and which you know to be so pathetic its not worth chasing.

Arguably American society is struggling with its racist history and its police force and correction officers are poorly trained and regularly get away with murder.

Its a shame as I love your country and agree with lots of things but as an outsider looking in.... You guys need to smoke a peace pipe. Its murder and guns guns guns. As someone who almost joined the MET police here in London I feel passionately about what a police officer should do and be.

I'm sorry but this is a little much, tone down the dramatics. You capitalize the word dead like the cop shot her in the face or something.

Don't know how anyone could be defending the cop after seeing the video. Guy was clearly on a power trip and wanted to make life difficult for Ms Bland after she didn't show him the respect he clearly deserves from a lowly black person. With her moving to her hometown and with a new job on the horizon I can see how being arrested and the possibility of getting a criminal assault record for some complete bullshit would be devastating and crushing especially to someone with depression. None of this had to happen.

She was pulled over for moving out of the way of this cop's car speeding up behind her, roughed up for not giving proper lip service to strong cop man, and kept in jail for 3 days. Completely absurd.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
this for al the cops and cop defenders up in here spouting bullshit. It doesn't matter if someone is rude to you, you don't have the right.

http://www.texasstandard.org/shows/...a-bland-traffic-stop-every-texan-should-know/

The trooper asks, “You mind putting out your cigarette please?” And Ms. Bland says, “Well, I’m in my car – why do I have to put out my cigarette?” Does she have to put out her cigarette?

“No, she doesn’t have to put out her cigarette. And you wonder why the officer is even bothering with that. This is part of his escalation of the whole event that unfolded, unfortunately.”

The next part: “Step out of the car.” Ms. Bland says, “You do not have the right.” He interrupts – “I do have the right, step out of the car or I will remove you.” Does he have the right, first, to order her to step out of the car, and second, to actually physically remove her from the car?

“He does not have the right to say get out of the car. He has to express some reason. ‘I need to search your car,’ or, whatever; he needs to give a reason. He can’t just say ‘get out of the car’ for a traffic offense.”

It’s one thing to say he has a reason; it’s another to say he has to give a reason. He may have had probable cause, or thought he had it, we don’t know. Does he have to state it?

“He doesn’t have to state probable cause; he has to state some reason … And that’s part of the training that he should have had about how to de-escalate a situation. She’s clearly upset about what happened, particularly – as we know later on – that she moved over because he was tailing her. … He should be working on de-escalation. That’s the key. ”

When he says “get out of the car, or I will light you up,” he is apparently referring to the use of a taser. Is that a legitimate threat? Is that something that’s okay for officers to do in that situation?

“No – here’s the situation where he is clearly violating her constitutional rights. This is excessive force on the part of the officer – to take that taser and point it in her face and say, ‘I’m going to harm you.’ Taser is the last recourse to a gun. And if he can’t get her out, he can’t de-escalate it, he’s got to wait for another officer to come and talk through this.”
Please kindly shut the fuck up.

HeySeuss

this for al the cops and cop defenders up in here spouting bullshit. It doesn't matter if someone is rude to you, you don't have the right.

http://www.texasstandard.org/shows/...a-bland-traffic-stop-every-texan-should-know/

Is this a joke? None of that is accurate information. Court cases have been posted merely one page back that clearly states police officers have the right to ask anyone out of a vehicle be it the driver or any other passenger for any reason whatsoever. And that the reason does not need to be communicated to anyone.

It is a lawful order to ask someone to put out their cigarette because that is a common way to try to mask the smell of alcohol or marijuana. Not to mention it's a safety issue because the lit cigarette can be thrown in the face of the officer.

The taser is not the last resort before using your sidearm. In fact, it is normally considered the best course of action in place of getting into a physical altercation with an individual because it is safer for both parties when used properly.

I've never seen more things wrong from a single link. So I think that must be sarcasm or something because clearly whoever wrote that has no idea what they are talking about.

Machine

The U.S. Supreme Court decided many years ago, in a case called Pennsylvania v. Mimms, that an officer may order someone who he has stopped for a traffic violation to get out of the car. Thus, you do not have a choice in the matter. It does not matter that the weather is unpleasant or that the officer does not have a clear reason for asking you to get out. When the officer asks you to “please step out of your car,” you have to do it. Get your facts straight before telling people you disagree with to "shut the fuck up"

The U.S. Supreme Court decided many years ago, in a case called Pennsylvania v. Mimms, that an officer may order someone who he has stopped for a traffic violation to get out of the car. Thus, you do not have a choice in the matter. It does not matter that the weather is unpleasant or that the officer does not have a clear reason for asking you to get out. When the officer asks you to “please step out of your car,” you have to do it. Get your facts straight before telling people you disagree with to "shut the fuck up"

I guess law school does have some value. The case does not stand for that proposition. The focus of the Court in that case was officer safety and then applying that to the reasonableness standards for fourth amendment analysis. Bland's interaction completely fails here. Now, would you kindly stop spewing bullshit?

From an LA Times Article on the issue that helps explain the problem:

Seth Stoughton, a University of South Carolina law professor and former Florida police officer, said Enicinia missed several opportunities to de-escalate tension and should have explained in calmer tones what he was doing and why.

“He certainly has the legal authority to get her to step out of the car,” Stoughton said. “But in this case, if he is exercising his authority because she is defying his direction to put out the cigarette, then that is more based on his ego than public safety.... Just because it is legal to order her out of the car doesn't make it a professional approach in modern policing.

“This is a systemic problem with policing,” Stoughton said. “There is emphasis on compliance over cooperation.”

There are no laws that require an officer to order alleged violators to extinguish a cigarette in their car during a traffic stop, he said.

“It was a request, not an order,” he said. “If a person was out of the car, then an officer could determine it poses a safety threat and order it be put out. But it is hard to argue that inside the car.”

It's also worth noting that even the ACLU says that the police have the power to order you out of the car.

YoungHav

Banned
#notallcops can't have it both ways. I thought the police were professionals? Part of being a professional is being the bigger person in the situation. What do I know though, next client I get that disagrees with me I will just curse them out and dehumanize them.

captive

Is this a joke? None of that is accurate information. Court cases have been posted merely one page back that clearly states police officers have the right to ask anyone out of a vehicle be it the driver or any other passenger for any reason whatsoever. And that the reason does not need to be communicated to anyone.

It is a lawful order to ask someone to put out their cigarette because that is a common way to try to mask the smell of alcohol or marijuana. Not to mention it's a safety issue because the lit cigarette can be thrown in the face of the officer.

The taser is not the last resort before using your sidearm. In fact, it is normally considered the best course of action in place of getting into a physical altercation with an individual because it is safer for both parties when used properly.

I've never seen more things wrong from a single link. So I think that must be sarcasm or something because clearly whoever wrote that has no idea what they are talking about.

People like you need to stop spreading misinformation.
sorry, gonna go with the person that's the director of the civil rights project, over a bunch of internet know it all's.

The officer cannot order you to put out the cigarette. And if you bothered to read the interview, the guy said the officer *can* order you out of your car, but he must give a reason. Same with being arrested, of which the officer did not do either.

I'd have to disagree there. I would not fault an officer from using deadly force against a criminal waving a gun.

Waving a gun, even if it is unloaded or it is a toy, is an offense that you think warrants deadly force without trying to talk the criminal down first?

Does the race of the person waving the gun matter? Or do you think everyone who does it needs to get blasted?

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/8-white-people-who-pointed-guns-police-officers-and-managed-not-get-killed

Actually a citizen IS required to know all the rules because a basic legal principle is that ignorance of the law is no excuse. Look up the phrase "Ignorantia juris non excusat" some time.

Actually, everyone knows, or at least should know this. The problem is, you cannot just blurt out a basic concept without understanding it or considering nuance. The actual implementation varies greatly from state to state. Additionally, interactions with other laws, intent with regards to situations where laws conflict or are ambiguous, as well as what happens when you receive improper or mistaken information about laws and your rights from government officials, and tons of other situations make things much more complex. I know you've seen a few legal shows, but it's not that simple. This is why we have a justice system. Cops don't, or at least should not, get to decide things on the spot.

Additionally, in situations with cops, the frequency of them giving improper or incorrect instructions, combined with their authority (especially their ability to use lethal force at their discretion), and the fact that laws are so complex and nuanced make it absolutely critical that cops are strictly regulated and the justice system is given ever opportunity to protect the rights and lives of all parties involved.

If I had sufficient resources, access, and the desire, I'm 100% certain I could scrutinize you and either find laws you had broken or catch you at the moment of breaking a law you were not aware of that would result in prison time for you.

In that situation, would you take your jail time like a man? Or say "fuck I should have take
n the time to understand every single law on the books."? then go into a your dark cell and serve your time without a single complaint?

boiled goose

good with gravy
It wasn't an illegal arrest at all.

She disobeyed a lawful order, then resisted him trying to her out of the car.. then she continually resisted after that.. she kept pulling away.

It's been said multiple times it wasn't illegal. He even told her why she was being arrested in the video.

Her civil rights weren't violated by law. He has the legal right to ask her to exit. Not illegal.. illegal is disobeying that order.

Still, again, and not sure why I gotta keep saying it, cop was a dick.

Wtf. Why did he ask her to step out? For not putting out your cigarette? We have civil liberties in this country.

Zornack

sorry, gonna go with the person that's the director of the civil rights project, over a bunch of internet know it all's.

The officer cannot order you to put out the cigarette. And if you bothered to read the interview, the guy said the officer *can* order you out of your car, but he must give a reason. Same with being arrested, of which the officer did not do either.

The officer has to give a reason for an arrest but not at the time of the action. Think of how absurd reality would be if the world worked the way you think it does. In a scuffle with a suspect? Oh, I'll stop fighting them and inform them why I'm putting them under arrest, then resume the scuffle.

You are wrong. Stop spreading this misinformation. It is harmful for everyone, be they police or citizens. People need to know their rights and know what an officer is legally allowed to do. Pretending that you don't have to do anything an officers tells you to do is dangerous.

Also, a police officer does NOT have to give a reason when they ask you to step out of your car.

http://www.njlawman.com/roll-call/008-removing-driver.htm
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/20/u...er-people-cars-routine-stops-court-rules.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_v._Mimms
http://www.policeone.com/legal/arti...cers-can-control-passengers-on-traffic-stops/
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/20/u...er-people-cars-routine-stops-court-rules.html

Wtf. Why did he ask her to step out? For not putting out your cigarette? We have civil liberties in this country.

Unfortunately, cops have a huge amount of authority and latitude. The moment of interacting with a cop is not the time to press for your civil liberties. The law is such that even if a cop gives irrational or illegal orders you have to comply. That moment is not the time or place to press for your rights. You should respectfully inform the cop that you are aware of your rights, avoid doing anything that might actually incriminate yourself, and comply. Groups like the ACLU outline your rights, but also say that when interacting with a cop you should not press. Comply, fix your face and take it, and hope and pray that the justice system will work out for you. If you are white, hey, you might even have a shot. If you aren't well... good luck, brah.

This thinking will get you exactly where you don't want to be. Feel free to try out ivory tower thinking in police interactions. Can't tell you how many suppression hearings I lost as a defense attorney on reasonable suspicion, probable cause etc. it is an incredibly low bar for a cop to meet. As far as articulating the rationale for removal from the vehicle, that will be supplied at the suppression/evidentiary hearing, not necessarily to the subject and not necessarily fully laid out in the report.

From the New York Times link posted above:

WASHINGTON, Feb. 19— The Supreme Court ruled today that police officers may order passengers out of the cars they stop for routine traffic violations, even in the absence of any reason to suspect that the passenger has committed a crime or presents a threat to the officer's safety.

Yup, just going to ignore the official Supreme Court ruling on the matter, right? Please kindly shut the fuck up and do your research before spreading misinformation.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Speaking of unnecessary escalations.

Excuse me, he just tossed back what that poster tossed at the rest of us.

Also, I've had someone directly say "fuck you" to me, as a junior member and yet here we are.

Not sure why people like captive and the guy who told me "fuck you" can't detach emotion and discuss.. because honestly when they do that, it's really hard to have rational discussion.

devilhawk

She is now dead.

DEAD.

I have never disobeyed a direct order from a policeman, specifically one to exit my vehicle. I'm willing to bet no one in this thread has refused to exit a vehicle once ordered to by a cop either.

captive

Excuse me, he just tossed back what that poster tossed at the rest of us.

Also, I've had someone directly say "fuck you" to me, as a junior member and yet here we are.

Not sure why people like captive and the guy who told me "fuck you" can't detach emotion and discuss.. because honestly when they do that, it's really hard to have rational discussion.

it is really hard to have a rational discussion when you have people telling others that, when a cop says jump you should say how high. Except, that you don't have to jump just cause a police officer says how high.

What Sandra should have done is repeatedly said am I free to go, when asked anything else except for providing her drivers license.

And I wasn't spreading misinformation, I was quoting the director of the Texas Civil rights project. He may be wrong, he may be right. Maybe I came off too strong, whatever. I don't really care. I'm tired of you people blindly defending the police on everything. Saying we the people should just kowtow to every request a peace officer makes. It would be really great if one of you could kindly tell me who exactly the police officer was serving by asking her to exit her vehicle, who they were protecting by arresting her for "resisting arrest" while also threatening to light her up for being "disrespectful" to her.
Also, please tell me under what basis African Americans should have any respect for police officers in this country?

Shut the fuck up.

it is really hard to have a rational discussion when you have people telling others that, when a cop says jump you should say how high. Except, that you don't have to jump just cause a police officer says how high.

If a cop asked me to get out of my vehicle and cup his balls, I would comply and ask "which hand do you prefer, sir?"

I agree we have a problem with officers abusing their power but there is a right way to challenge a wrong doing and a wrong way. An individual should not challenge a cop as she did in any specific instance because you will never win in that situation. Simply comply and get your lawyer on the line once the ordeal is over.

MisterNoisy

What Sandra should have done is repeatedly said am I free to go, when asked anything else except for providing her drivers license.

And I wasn't spreading misinformation, I was quoting the director of the Texas Civil rights project. He may be wrong, he may be right. Maybe I came off too strong, whatever. I don't really care. I'm tired of you people blindly defending the police on everything. Saying we the people should just kowtow to every request a peace officer makes. It would be really great if one of you could kindly tell me who exactly the police officer was serving by asking her to exit her vehicle, who they were protecting by arresting her for "resisting arrest" while also threatening to light her up for being "disrespectful" to her.
Also, please tell me under what basis African Americans should have any respect for police officers in this country?

I don't think it's a matter of having respect for the officer so much as respect for the ability of that officer to fucking murder your ass in cold blood and get away with it in all but the most egregious circumstances, especially if you're not lucky enough to be white. You get pulled over? Do what that asshole wants, because otherwise he'll fill you full of .40S&W and get a medal for it.

If a cop asked me to get out of my vehicle and cup his balls, I would comply and ask "which hand do you prefer, sir?"

I agree we have a problem with officers abusing their power but there is a right way to challenge a wrong doing and a wrong way.

These sentences back to back

KSaJpb4.gif

boiled goose

good with gravy
Unfortunately, cops have a huge amount of authority and latitude. The moment of interacting with a cop is not the time to press for your civil liberties. The law is such that even if a cop gives irrational or illegal orders you have to comply. That moment is not the time or place to press for your rights. You should respectfully inform the cop that you are aware of your rights, avoid doing anything that might actually incriminate yourself, and comply. Groups like the ACLU outline your rights, but also say that when interacting with a cop you should not press. Comply, fix your face and take it, and hope and pray that the justice system will work out for you. If you are white, hey, you might even have a shot. If you aren't well... good luck, brah.

These days it is the practical decision.
Doesn't mean it is the correct one.

Also doesn't mean we have to defend the cop.
He threatened to shoot her because she disobeyEd his authority.

Cops are on a power trip and have forgotten they are public SERVANTS.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
https://twitter.com/iJesseWilliams/status/624039502051303424

not sure how reliable he is, but the tweets are floating around twitter from him.

BTW, that tweet is 2 days old.. nothing else collaborates it.. it's probably false.

I'll tackle your points.

First, literally nobody said anything like your jump how high comment. People said, if a cop gives a lawful order, follow it.

She could say I'm free to go as much as she wants, but if he asks her out and she refuses she is being non-compliant and can be arrested for disobeying a lawful order.

Your third part, I don't know who the Texas Civil Rights Project is, but I do know the ACLU and the SCOTUS both say that an officer has the right to ask you to exit a vehicle lawfully, and even without reason. It's not just wrong to say you don't have to, it's dangerous.. as you saw happened to Bland.

Who was the officer serving when he asked her to get out? My guess, himself.. but the truth is we don't know, because she didn't just get out. I've said the cop was a dick about it, but anyone saying what his goal was just doesn't know, because we never saw it.

Your last point, what does anyone accomplish by being disrespectful? I get being distrustful, but being disrespectful isn't a good avenue.. especially in this case where she was disrespectful to the officer and ignorant of her rights.. if she was at least educated on her actual rights this could have turned out considerably different.

This threads alone shows how ignorant people are of their rights, I suggest the ACLU page, as it's written very clearly on how to deal with situations.

https://www.aclu.org/files/kyr/kyr_english.pdf

Knowledge is power.

Mimosa97

I have. I am often terrified of cops; a cop getting behind me on the road can induce panic. I grew up poor and around drugs and I saw my parents abused by police.

But on the occasions I have been stopped for bullshit reasons by cops clearly just trying to lord over me? You better believe I will not bow down for that. And because I am a white woman who no longer appears to be terribly poor, I have never so much as been asked to step out of my vehicle.

I cannot speculate as to how you cannot imagine this kind of behavior. I have some guesses, but I will not make assumptions, and at the end of the day, our experiences and personal identities mean little. However, speaking for myself, I am terribly tired of the kinds of things I've seen in this very thread, opinions that set officers up as all-powerful physical embodiments of the law. They are human beings. Some are flawed. Some are abusive. And they should not be allowed to exist in that role when they are that way, but they are. We should not accept that.

I am astonished at people defending this man when his own superiors said he acted improperly. Maybe they said it because of the attention. I cannot speculate on that either. But it is still utterly staggering to me to see people saying oh, he was fine. Totally right.

Great post.

Weevilone

These days it is the practical decision.
Doesn't mean it is the correct one.

Also doesn't mean we have to defend the cop.
He threatened to shoot her because she disobeyEd his authority.

Cops are on a power trip and have forgotten they are public SERVANTS.

Honestly, it's not fair to lump all of them in. I will say though, that the ones I have encountered were largely on a power trip, and that goes back decades. I don't know if it's common, but the people that I went to school with that ended up as police were among the ones that seemed to have the least potential based upon their academic performance and general behavior. My experience has been that state troopers and such are a cut above the city police in terms of respectful treatment and such.

That being said, when I've been on the wrong end of things I just comply and work it all out later, even if the courts are required. When you're in that moment, it's not the time to press your luck.

I agree we have a problem with officers abusing their power but there is a right way to challenge a wrong doing and a wrong way. An individual should not challenge a cop as she did in any specific instance because you will never win in that situation. Simply comply and get your lawyer on the line once the ordeal is over.

jdg.gif

This is completely fine as long as you realize you possess no dignity.

It's one thing to be compliant to an officer, its another to basically kiss his/her ass.

I'm curious how anything is going to change if we just accept that, welp, a lot of cops are shitty and if you don't want to get killed by a shitty cop, you should walk real small and not worry about pesky details such as your civil liberties.

Only half sarcasm and a lot of sadness here.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Honestly, it's not fair to lump all of them in. I will say though, that the ones I have encountered were largely on a power trip, and that goes back decades. I don't know if it's common, but the people that I went to school with that ended up as police were among the ones that seemed to have the least potential based upon their academic performance and general behavior. My experience has been that state troopers and such are a cut above the city police in terms of respectful treatment and such.

That being said, when I've been on the wrong end of things I just comply and work it all out later, even if the courts are required. When you're in that moment, it's not the time to press your luck.

What's your race? You have to realize this factor shapes the nature ofnthese interactions considerably

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom