• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandra Bland Found Dead in TX Jail, Police Say Suicide, Family Disagrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungHav

Banned
didn't officials go on record that the officer violated procedure? WTF are peeps in this thread on about?
#notallcops are the supreme authority on police interactions on this board. They know better than this police officer's bosses. The real conspiracy is how a traffic stop ended up with a hero receiving paid administrative leave 3 days later.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So much for the officer being in full compliance. Not being able to cling to the law is a bitch.

Common sense? I don't see how anyone can watch that video and be like "the cop did everything perfect". Actually, going by this thread, nevermind.

I don't see many saying the cop was prefect, actually pretty much the opposite of that. The officer is on leave for breaking procedure.. but it's pretty clear he didn't violate the law.

The argument over the last few pages really has been about the right of someone to refuse to exit their car when asked, the law says you must exit. That's the exact point that this encounter with bland escalated beyond a mere traffic stop.

Cop being a dick doesn't mean you are allowed to not follow a lawful order. Even the ACLU says if a cop is breaking your civil rights to just not consent, but follow orders and lawyer up.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
This is bullshit, completely false equivalency.

Again, someone explain how being disrespectful to police is helpful at all? Because tweets like that are basically openly advocating being disrespectful to police.

I fail to see how this solves a thing with the problem with relations between blacks and police, which I'll admit is problematic. I just don't see this as a solution.
I dont see it that way. That tweet is more of a response to the people saying "hey, if he/she wasnt disrespectful to the cop she wouldnt have any problems" after the fact. I teach a sexual assault class so i hear the "she was asking for trouble with that dress on". The only equivalent is victim blaming in both senarios.

I dont think that tweet was advocating people to not respect officers no more than it was saying women can wear anything they want. I know to respect officers, and i will always will. but if im not respectful, does that warrant unprofessional police activity? Just a response to the commentary going on...but i could be wrong, thats just my opinion.

I despise police power tripping...disgusting and getting above themselves...

There are many good policemen and women out there, but people like this need to be kicked out of the force and punished accordingly.

xaosslug

I don't see many saying the cop was prefect, actually pretty much the opposite of that. The officer is on leave for breaking procedure.. but it's pretty clear he didn't violate the law.

The argument over the last few pages really has been about the right of someone to refuse to exit their car when asked, the law says you must exit. That's the exact point that this encounter with bland escalated beyond a mere traffic stop.

Cop being a dick doesn't mean you are allowed to not follow a lawful order. Even the ACLU says if a cop is breaking your civil rights to just not consent, but follow orders and lawyer up.

from the same atricle I posted:

a legal analyst + retired detective both see this as an issue of note... INTERESTING.

Coins

Banned
My local news (KSDK in St. Louis) is really pushing this story of her being dead in the mugshot. Any St. Louis news station goes for the worst scenario now after Ferguson to get people talking.

Honestly though if we got legal experts to review dash cam footage from every incident where a cop pulled someone over there would be violations in protocol quite often I imagine.

xaosslug

Honestly though if we got legal experts to review dash cam footage from every incident where a cop pulled someone over there would be violations in protocol quite often I imagine.

um... and that is OK to you?
AHeHFWl.gif
Considering how bad things are we should have a committee going over all dash cam footage w/ a fine-toothed comb and coming down on officers that violate protocol. All these wrongful deaths are NOT OK, and police officers need to get their shit/ego together.

um... and that is OK to you?
AHeHFWl.gif
Considering how bad things are we should have a committee going over all dash cam footage w/ a fine-toothed comb and coming down on officers that violate protocol. All these wrongful deaths are NOT OK, and police officers need to get their shit/ego together.

My point was that the officer's behavior in the footage wasn't even terribly egregious by normal police standards. That's obviously not ok but with over 400,000 cops I don't know how you would even begin to oversee all that.

My point was that the officer's behavior in the footage wasn't even terribly egregious by normal police standards. That's obviously not ok but with over 400,000 cops I don't know how you would even begin to oversee all that.

Lets take a breather from this officers ego tripping escalations, and wonder why. coming from a human(not some robot) perspective here, after what was essentially an arrest for being sassy, she was locked up for 3-4 goddamn days. You also have her acting very emotional during her stay, often crying, and they weren't keeping a very keen eye on her? There's nothing humane about any of that, the system just ain't right.

Lets take a breather from this officers ego tripping escalations, and wonder why. coming from a human(not some robot) perspective here, after what was essentially an arrest for being sassy, she was locked up for 3-4 goddamn days. You also have her acting very emotional during her stay, often crying, and they weren't keeping a very keen eye on her? There's nothing humane about any of that, the system just ain't right.

Her bond was $5000 which would have required 500 to a bondsman. This is a reasonable bond for the charge. She remained in jail because her friends and family either could not or chose not to post it.

That is just so crazy. When a friend of mine got busted for having a joint on him (essentially a finable offense in NYC) they put him in a paddy wagon along with a bunch of other guys and took him to headquarters, to be kept in the "drunk tank". My friends and I went to the police station and just kept asking how long he was gonna be in there ("until he is processed") and just stayed in the waiting area. We did this because we had heard horror stories of people just being left in there because the cops were being lazy and nobody had showed up to ask about them.

Really. you think that was reasonable, giving what we know, heard and seen? K. And like I said, no robots.

Yes of course, bonds are set according to charges history and flight risk by the magistrate. In this case, an out of state citizen charged with assaulting a police office and a dwi in her background. (If this was a Chicago dwi, they would not have known of it). No one will review a tape associated with the arrest until the case is older and on a court docket. This is an extremely routine set of charges and would not draw attention but for the subsequent death. This is an ordinary bond for the magistrate to set based on the charges and the bond schedule and the usual considerations. Further, anyone setting a bond at this level sets it so that it can be met easily. This is a bond set to get someone processed in and out of jail, it is not a bond set to hold a defendant until trial. I've been a prosecutor, I've set both types of bonds.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Yes of course, bonds are set according to charges history and flight risk by the magistrate. In this case, an out of state citizen charged with assaulting a police office and a dwi in her background. (If this was a Chicago dwi, they would not have known of it). No one will review a tape associated with the arrest until the case is older and on a court docket. This is an extremely routine set of charges and would not draw attention but for the subsequent death. This is an ordinary bond for the magistrate to set based on the charges and the bond schedule and the usual considerations. Further, anyone setting a bond at this level sets it so that it can be met easily. This is a bond set to get someone processed in and out of jail, it is not a bond set to hold a defendant until trial. I've been a prosecutor, I've set both types of bonds.

Here's a little video you should see...
http://youtu.be/IS5mwymTIJU

Guevara

I think it's really sad she spend 3 days in jail over what would have been $500. The family says they were trying to come up it, but according to her cellmate, the fact that they hadn't helped made her feel distraught.

Slate has a pretty good article on how the bail system is broken. The crux of it is: bail amounts are pre-determined, so no one actually evaluated this case. Instead they just looked at the schedule, and the schedule said $5,000. That's how it works in most of the country.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...that_kept_her_in_prison_unconstitutional.html

So now we're to the "well, things are just bad, no way to fix them, so just snap to when a cop abuses his power; since we can't fix it? It's just basically the world!" part of the discussion.

Guess what? We can fix it. We can fix a lot of things, like the lack of opportunity in low-income communities, like the price and quality of medical care, like mass shootings, like ballooning student loans, and yes, the problem of bad cops. ALL OF THIS can be fixed. It just requires more than quick, easy, soundbite-friendly solutions, so we throw up our hands.

So now we're to the "well, things are just bad, no way to fix them, so just snap to when a cop abuses his power; since we can't fix it? It's just basically the world!" part of the discussion.

Guess what? We can fix it. We can fix a lot of things, like the lack of opportunity in low-income communities, like the price and quality of medical care, like mass shootings, like ballooning student loans, and yes, the problem of bad cops. ALL OF THIS can be fixed. It just requires more than quick, easy, soundbite-friendly solutions, so we throw up our hands.

It will be a miracle if any of these issues are fixed with the current political system in place. I would argue the primary issue is that even a united group of citizens literally cannot bring about change with the way things are right now. Money is the only thing that moves people to action. The days of significant change arising through shifting the public mindset have long since passed.

Yup. It's all but another show of how certain officers in certain places treat minorities as sub-humans.

Is there evidence that non minorities in this jurisdiction get released on their own recognizance on these charges? That should be pretty easy to show, maybe one of these bloggers will tackle hat next.

Please say the bolded some more. NervousXtian in particular needs to hear it.

Is there evidence that non minorities in this jurisdiction get released on their own recognizance on these charges? That should be pretty easy to show, maybe one of these bloggers will tackle hat next.

Depends on how many non minorities are dragged out of their vehicles, have their heads slammed to the ground and are thrown in jail for the heinous crime of......not actually breaking the law in the first place.

It will be a miracle if any of these issues are fixed with the current political system in place. I would argue the primary issue is that even a united group of citizens literally cannot bring about change with the way things are right now. Money is the only thing that moves people to action. The days of significant change arising through shifting the public mindset have long since passed.

But we DO hold that power. Look at Amazon. People complain about their business practices and their policies toward employees. But those same people, largely, will continue to buy there. We don't have to. We choose to because the alternatives are often more inconvenient and more expensive.

We COULD do a lot of things. But they're hard and so we don't. I'm not saying I'm exempt from this. I'm not. I wish I was. I keep trying to make small changes in my own life but it's so easy to say well, I have kids and well, I work such long hours, I deserve convenience. But I don't. And that lack of willingness to act en masse in other areas is costing people their lives. I'm ashamed of America and our complacency, my own included. I speak and I try to educate and I am raising my children to be aware and it's not enough.

Carnby

Nobody's saying "be disrespectful to police". But a cop acting like a total jackass and overstepping his authority is nobody's fault but his own.

That may be, but Bad_Boy should be embarrassed for claiming sexual assault on women is comparable and relevent to this discussion. It is patently false and shameful.

Wow, blame the victim and her family for not being wealthy enough. How's the view from the ivory tower?

I'm perplexed that you would get victim blaming out of that passage you quoted of mine. It is really just a simple matter of fact, the bond was set according to guidelines (reasonable as to the charge) and then the 10% ( $500) due to a bondsman could not or would not be fulfilled by her family and friends. Is it victim blaming to discuss such things? I would certainly hope not, how otherwise would the inadequacies of that particular system be exposed? The question that triggered this line was regarding why she was in jail for the 3 days on such a charge, I merely provided an explanation, as uncomfortable as it may be.

I've certainly been called worse!

Carnby

That's exactly what you're doing but looking at your post history it's not surprising.and just shows I'm wasting my time even replying to you.

Once again, you're disgusting for comparing police brutality in the U.S to the sexual assualt that affects woman of every race, in every country. You make me sick.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
That may be, but Bad_Boy should be embarrassed for claiming sexual assault on women is comparable and relevent to this discussion. It is patently false and shameful.
Embarrassed? No sir. Youre looking for something not there. The only comparison being made is the victim blaming that is done after the event takes place.

Once again, you're disgusting for comparing police brutality in the U.S to the sexual assualt that affects woman of every race, in every country. You make me sick.

You're the one that came into this thread and started talking about some bullshit completely unrelated and trying to downplay police brutality. You haven't mentioned Sandra Bland once. And I'm the one that's disgusting? No the only disgusting one here is the one that's a racist sympathizer.

Also how is comparing victim blaming of different crimes disgusting?

Carnby

You're the one that came into this thread and started talking about some bullshit completely unrelated and trying to downplay police brutality. You haven't mentioned Sandra Bland once. And I'm the one that's disgusting? No the only disgusting one here is the one that's a racist sympathize.

Who is sympathizing with a racist? The thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom