• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Santa Clarita Diet |OT| Feel younger while eating whoever you want! - Netflix 2/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
rrQTb0v.jpg

They're ordinary husband and wife realtors until she undergoes a dramatic change that sends them down a road of death and destruction. In a good way.

Release date: Feb. 3rd on Netflix

Spoiled Goods: Please spoiler tag any (spoiler) discussion for two weeks. And make sure to label your spoiler discussion. (i.e. Episode 3:
This show went all Dexter
)

Rotten Links:

Juicy Recipes:

• Variety:

”Santa Clarita Diet" is a treat for a very specific sense of humor — and a little unpleasant for everyone else. It's B-movie camp, set in the Los Angeles suburbs; in between eating people, Sheila, with her devoted husband, Joel (Timothy Olyphant), sells ranch houses with plush-carpeted rooms.

What is genuinely great about ”Santa Clarita Diet" is just how surprising each plot development is. Because it is unafraid to dabble in gore, murder, or high school drama, the show is capable of moving in a lot of different directions. In the midst of a dark comedy with bloody humor, Joel has to mourn the woman his wife once was — a slightly pathetic, somewhat affecting display of pathos that is both funny and sad, even as Sheila, half-mad with zombie-like hunger, has to try to remember that she has to make sacrifices for the people she loves.

Like so many Netflix comedies, ”Santa Clarita Diet" is a slow burn, and the first batch of episodes doesn't quite deliver the sendup of suburbanite foibles that it could. But the seeds are all there.
  • Av Club

Maybe this is for the best, considering that the food-supply predicament is straight out of Little Shop Of Horrors. At a nuts-and-bolts level, Santa Clarita Diet isn't entirely novel: In addition to those Ash Vs. Evil Dead and Stan Against Evil parallels, the show is essentially a sitcom hybridization of iZombie and The Americans. The main attraction, and the thing that'll pull viewers from one episode to the next, is the show's deranged energy. Olyphant's been here before, with his recurring role on The Grinder, another high-concept, gag-driven sitcom populated by weirdos who spoke in droll quips and one-liners. It might not be the type of thing you'll want to feast on, but Santa Clarita Diet is good for a little snack here or there.
  • The Hollywood Reporter:

The thing that enlivens these zombie-ironic relationship conversations is the fine chemistry between Barrymore and Olyphant. Barrymore is playing more to type, a horror-comedy variation on her 50 First Dates role balancing sweetness and exaggerated imperfections, having a ball with the swearing and gore as Sheila's id becomes dominant. Olyphant is in the less instantly convincing position of playing a character repeatedly described as wimpy and indecisive, when his acting instincts tend toward coiled intensity. That means Joel initially didn't read right to me — again pointing to the lack of "before" breathing room in the pilot — but with Olyphant playing him as a manic episode waiting to happen, he makes more and more sense. The series hangs on the believable warmth between the characters, but I would have loved to have seen more on the provocative idea of zombism as stand-in for the challenges of caring for a loved one of diminished capacity — think Michael Haneke's Amour, only with zombies. Maybe that's still on tap for a second season, too.

Blended Cast Parts:

YiWLCeQ.jpg

Drew Barrymore as Sheila Hammond, Timothy Olyphant as Joel Hammond, Liv Hewson as Abby Hammond

WRirEvv.jpg

Ricardo Chavira as neighbor, Skyler Gisondo as Eric Bemis, Richard T. Jones as Rick

exEpf5P.jpg

Mary Elizabeth Ellis as Lisa, Nathan Fillion as Gary, Natalie Morales as Anne

Delicious Photos:

obin_gam

It would have been interesting if they were a family of psychotic cannibals. But being good willed zombies (as it's revealed in the trailer)... meh.

jadedm17

IZombie was great, I'm so in for this too; I like the concept of these shows and the trailers for both showed a lot of fun humor.

I don't think I'll ever cancel my Netflix account.
Based Netflix please save Girl Meets World

I'm in but damn I'm getting behind on Netflix along with everything else.

IZombie is great, I'm so in for this too; I like the concept of these shows and the trailers for both showed a lot of fun humor.

I don't think I'll ever cancel my Netflix account.
Based Netflix please save Girl Meets World

FTFY, iZombie ain't done yet.

I'm starting episode 1 now.

Barrymore is playing more to type, a horror-comedy variation on her 50 First Dates role balancing sweetness and exaggerated imperfections, having a ball with the swearing and gore as Sheila's id becomes dominant.
How much swearing? EDIT: A moderate amount in the first episode (hopefully not too much for who I was thinking of suggesting it for).

zulux21

finishing up episode 2.

it's just okay so far, the dark humor isn't really landing for me. (unlike a series of unfortunate events where the dark humor was hitting better. that and I am not really a fan of zombies)
that being said I am not hating it, should be a good show to go to sleep to over the next few days.

I am hoping it basically becomes a comedic version of Dexter from here on out.

edit: alright episode 3 was more enjoyable.

edit: halfway through episode 5 now and yeah episode 3 seems to be where the show starts to figure it out. it's decently enjoyable now.

finished 5. yeah I can call this enjoyable at this point :p

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Uhhh...yeah...I don't know about this. It has a lot of actors I really like but the first episode did absolutely nothing for me. Borderline terrible. Might give it another episode or two later but I'm not in a rush to watch more.

deleted

I'm at episode 6 now - it's pretty decent. Not perfect, but when the humor hits, it hits. Hate the fake friendly stuff that's present so much and I'm pretty happy to see it put to the backburner more the further the show goes on.

zulux21

so just finished it up and I think my vote is to wait and see if it gets a second season. (though I suppose if no one watches it the odds of it getting a second season drops so uh... stream it in the background without paying attention?)

it's an idea that really should have been wrapped up in this single season but instead it just kind of ends :/

it had some decent moments but plenty of misses as well not a horrible watch if you have nothing better to watch but hardly a great comedy either.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
sad it doesnt seem very good, I lvoe the cast and the trailers were decent :(

will still watch it tho

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I watched the first two episodes last night. The first episode was borderline terrible - outside a couple of unexpected moments (like
Drew suddenly throwing up all over the floor of the room that they were showing, the bathroom being covered from floor to ceiling in vomit, and her throwing up an organ(?)
). The second episode was a bit better, though not by much.

The humor just really isn't landing for me. It's very, I don't know how to put it, uninspired? Flat? Unclever? Bland? It's like you've heard all these jokes a million times before.

I don't know. I'll keep watching to see if it gets better. Thankfully there are only 10 half hour episodes, so it should be easy to blow through when I get some more free time.

This is totally my jam. Loving pretty much everything about it, but I can see where the humour is really narrow and won't land for a lot of people.

For me it's pretty much the funniest show in the last year or so.

Game-Biz

First episode was....okay I guess. Watching the ep 2 right now, much better. Very amusing.

And it is just me or is some of the gore just like really graphic? Kind of made me sick lol. Then again I haven't seen the walking dead, so perhaps people are use to this stuff.

Bladenic

Watched first episode, this seems like a big waste of Timothy Olyphant's talent. I would say it's a waste of Drew Barrymore's talent but I can't think of anything she's done recently.

chiba

Watched the first 5 episodes last night. Not the most laugh out loud show I've seen but it starts to pick up once the plot thickens. It's biggest issue is Olyphant's a bit of a miscast imo. Hard to buy Raylan Givens as a bumbling beta husband, but he starts to grow into it after a couple eps. Look forward to watching the rest tonight.

I don't believe Timothy Olyphant. He's not right for this part at all. Only watched the first episode and he stuck out like a sore thumb.

My wife and I watched the first 8. Its not the best but I think as it develops its pretty addicting due to just how blazing fast the plot is moving. With two episodes left I already wonder what's left for another season or more. Its about the complete opposite in pacing to most Netflix shows.

I don't believe Timothy Olyphant. He's not right for this part at all. Only watched the first episode and he stuck out like a sore thumb.

In the other thread I said the same thing. I only watched the first episode but he was really bad.

Like his scene where she died in the bathroom. Instead of crying it straight looked like he was laughing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I watched the first two episodes last night. The first episode was borderline terrible - outside a couple of unexpected moments (like
Drew suddenly throwing up all over the floor of the room that they were showing, the bathroom being covered from floor to ceiling in vomit, and her throwing up an organ(?)
). The second episode was a bit better, though not by much.

The humor just really isn't landing for me. It's very, I don't know how to put it, uninspired? Flat? Unclever? Bland? It's like you've heard all these jokes a million times before.

I don't know. I'll keep watching to see if it gets better. Thankfully there are only 10 half hour episodes, so it should be easy to blow through when I get some more free time.

oh its half hour eps? thats not bad then, should be a easy watch, I assumed it was 1 hour as usual.

Fuchsdh

In the other thread I said the same thing. I only watched the first episode but he was really bad.

Like his scene where she died in the bathroom. Instead of crying it straight looked like he was laughing.

I don't think that's on him. Seems like the show doesn't really want to shift tone. It's kind of relentlessly upbeat in the pilot which is weird... there don't seem to be any stakes.

finowns

Watched a couple episodes, the humor is not great but the show has gotten better with each episode. I'm also not a huge fan of Drew Barrymore

Binged the whole season today and enjoyed it.

He was hoping to collect that life insurance money.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I watched a few tonight, it's alright so far. Enjoyable enough. Definitely will finish it at least.

caliph95

He gets better but yeah that first episode was weird i don't why he looked he's laughing i assume it's the acting because that seems out of character for the husband.

Raguel

Watched three episodes and have enjoyed so far. It's goofy and gory, which is what I expected. I like the next door kid. Reminds me of a friend of mine. I def recommend it.

I watched it all and I'd say it's a solid B series. Timothy Olyphant starts off kinda out of his element but I ended up being fairly impressed with his comedic timing. Haven't really seen him try this kind of acting since Girl Next Door.

But for me the kids make the show. Abby and Eric had great chemistry and Liv Hewson definitely needs to be in more stuff.

The episodes also fly by and you're done in 5 hours so it's not that much of a time commitment.

Dabanton

This is a lot more gory than I was expecting. I like it. It's breezy, light, the plot moves fast and the characters are interesting.

Dad is awful at first, then he gets better.

The kids are consistently awesome, great chemistry.

Drew Barrymore is consistently awful, what a shame.

Show doesn't seem to be able to establish and/or settle on its tone (or fluidity of tones).

Definitely worth finishing, but almost frustrating to watch as it's so close to being a good show - but ultimately is just ok.

zulux21

Dad is awful at first, then he gets better.

The kids are consistently awesome, great chemistry.

Drew Barrymore is consistently awful, what a shame.

Show doesn't seem to be able to establish and/or settle on its tone (or fluidity of tones).

Definitely worth finishing, but almost frustrating to watch as it's so close to being a good show - but ultimately is just ok.

after sleeping on it a bit... I think I feel like this was originally designed to be shown on normal tv (fox/abc/nbc) but when it got picked up for netflix they went back through and added a bunch of foul language and some gruesome scenes as those things constantly feel out of place to me. I mean most of the best stuff the series has in it don't involve either of those.

in general I want to like it, and I would likely watch a second season, but... eh... still can't quite put my finger on what is really wrong with it.

From what GAF is telling me, for those who don't want to see explicit gore, Riverdale is probably a solid, soapy alternative. Just saying.

Rhaknar

A friend of mine is raving about it, guess its a love or hate type deal with this one.

zulux21

From what GAF is telling me, for those who don't want to see explicit gore, Riverdale is probably a solid, soapy alternative. Just saying.

it's an alternative like breaking bad is an alternative o_O

Riverdale has almost nothing in common with the theme or feel of this show. riverdale is a teen drama with a heavy focus on the drama and an occasional joke.

this is a dark comedy with occasional focus on real drama... mostly to try to make more jokes.

like... I just don't get this recommendation at all and i say this as someone who has seen the first two episodes of riverdale and at this time plans on continue watching it because it's not bad.

Ogni-XR21

Just wanted to take a look at the first episode earlier today and just finished my binge of the whole season. It had some really funny moments, plot moved quickly and I liked most of the characters. I can see that this is not for everyone as it can be quite gory at times but I definitely enjoyed it.

Ending spoiler:
I did not expect it to end on such a cliffhanger/open situation, some kind of resolve would have been nice. Is it already confirmed to run for at least another season our could this end up hanging in the air like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom