• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Santa Clarita Diet |OT| Feel younger while eating whoever you want! - Netflix 2/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

I genuinely felt bad about myself when as I was watching the trailer I thought "that woman looks like an ugly version of Drew Barrymore" and then it turned out to be her.

I watched the first three episodes last night, and I love it. It's hilarious, there were many laugh-out-loud moments, and part of it might be because I'm imagining Olyphant's Raylan Givens character as the main character. It makes it even funnier.

Palmer_v1

From what GAF is telling me, for those who don't want to see explicit gore, Riverdale is probably a solid, soapy alternative. Just saying.

It's not the gore. It's the puke and raw meat. I can watch zombie go to town on people all day, but watching someone puke for like 5 minutes straight is just gross. Also don't particularly want to see someone handling raw beef and chicken.

Matty77

About Six episodes in and really liking it. As I said in the last thread I find most the Characters, especially the kids extremely likable so between that and the humor and gore I can overlook some of the weaker stuff, which is there but not enough for me to not enjoy.

Plus as someone else said I think it gains a lot by only being half an hour and continuously ramping things up, doesn't feel stretched so far unlike a lot of Netflix originals.

RdN

Binged on the entire season today.

Found it enjoyable. Starts a little slow but picks up after episode 3.

Kusagari

I legitimately can't tell if Olyphant is terrible in this or not.

His character just seems off but I also can't tell if that's the point because it kind of works.

Xater

I stopped watching midway through the third episode. It us just painfully unfunny. None of the jokes hit. A shame for the good cast.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Wife and I like it. Solid B TV show, hope for more.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I stopped watching midway through the third episode. It us just painfully unfunny. None of the jokes hit. A shame for the good cast.

I think it's going for goofy, not a literal comedy focus.

pa22word

I legitimately can't tell if Olyphant is terrible in this or not.

His character just seems off but I also can't tell if that's the point because it kind of works.

I thought he was the best part of the show by far. His delivery for his lines makes the character. Total dumb soccer dad type character loaded with passive aggressive quips and every line dripping with sarcasm. He totally hams it up and just runs with the "yeah last time you saw me I was a bad ass, so what?" kind of Arnold Schwarzenegger in jingle all the way type of self aware role.

Bladenic

Eric is the best character and he's cute too.

Oh The Waitress is great as well.

I really don't think Drew Barrymore is a great actress but she's interesting to watch and she feels better in her role than Olyphant does in his although he's been getting more into it as the show progresses. Or so I feel.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The ending just... happened.

I kind of wish they told a complete story instead of just leaving things hanging like that.

messiaen

I hope this show doesn't spark sudden interest in SCV. Traffic is already bad enough on the I-5 up to here. Watched the first few episodes though, pretty enjoyable.

I think I saw this being filmed last Spring?

B-Dex

I'm liking it more the further in I get. Not the best thing Netflix has made by any means but still enjoyable.

Just finished the first episode. It's the first "short-form" show I've seen in a while, and it made me miss the comparitively deeper characterization you find in shows that are 40-60 minutes long. I'll keep watching for a few more episodes, but thus far it was only OK.

SaintZ

I just finished the show. It's cute and harmless tbh. Since it is so short, it goes really quick. Things I liked:

Timothy Olyphant was great I thought. Joel was hilarious and I totally bought his character. Abby and Eric are great as well and they were not annoying. Even when Abby was doing shitty things they did not bother me at all. Their friendship is great.

I enjoyed Lisa a lot too (Eric's mom). Her stuff with the female cop was hilarious.

Things I disliked:
I adore Drew Barrymore but I didn't enjoy Sheila. Her acting seemed off. Like I get she's changed because of this illness but she just didn't click me with me most of the times.
And I hated the ending.

Overall, I liked it. It reminded me of Desperate Housewives but with over the top violence and swearing. It was nice to see Carlos Solis in the show too.

EW posted and article with the creator explaining the ending.

Stasis

I absolutely love Olyphant but I couldn't even get past episode 1.

I'll try episode 2 down the line, but I have little belief I'll see this through =/

HotHamBoy

I genuinely felt bad about myself when as I was watching the trailer I thought "that woman looks like an ugly version of Drew Barrymore" and then it turned out to be her.

This made me happy.

I don't think I could watch Barrymore talk out of the side of her mouth for 30 minutes.

Fat4all

Banned
Could've done with a bit more cheese on my end.

Not terrible, but I dunno if I'd be bothered to watch a second season.

jadedm17

Ill echo the sentiment shared above me : This show is a lot of fun once it hits its stride; Episodes 5 through 8 have been a blast, i cant sleep. Theres also a few moments - and one special one that episode 8 is built around - that have me in shock. Good stuff.

I enjoyed iZombie more, but this has its place too.

NewFresh

I know the acting is supposed to be hammy. But it doesn't work when Drew Barrymore is just being Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphantis shlocking it up. It come off as just bad.

Might give it another shot, but so far episode one seems like a wasted cast and premise.

Mathieran

Banned
I've watched 2 episodes so far and it's pretty enjoyable.

I got really excited when Nathan Fillion showed up cause I had no idea he was in it but
I was super disappointed when he died at the end of the episode. It was funny though.

I think I will continue watching. My wife hates this kind of show so I will only be able to watch a little bit here and there. Glad it's short.

finished the season. the ending was......abrupt to say the least.

i really enjoyed this though. i got more laughs then i expected. Barrymore was the weakest but olyphant and the daughter and neighbor made up for it.

btw just so i didnt knew if i needed to feel bad that i found abby super cute i looked her up and shes apparently Australian :eek:

TheYanger

Liked this a lot - the first episode was pretty 'ehhhh' and 2 was only a small step up, but the rest really hit with me. Sometimes the characters are pretty bad, but a lot of the jokes really really got me laughing in the middle to later episodes.

Ending very abrupt though, yeah.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
This is like Weeds meets zombie stuff. Took a few episodes to boil up well but laughing my ass off. Olyphant and Barrymore have great chemistry and the kids are really good.

More please.

Alpha_eX

Tried getting into this, did 3 episodes and two things killed it dead for me..

- weak acting by the main guy, see when he discovers his wife 'dead'
- everyone seems to go to the most public places to openly discuss their part in murder

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Just barely made it through the first episode. Thankfully they aren't an hour each.

Not every Netflix show can be a winner.

I like this show.

It's sort of pleasantly entertaining, not outrageously funny nor hyper-dark. The gore, while a little over the top, is still apt for a dark comedy.

Plus, (finale spoilers)
PORTIA DE ROSSI! AND SHE BASICALLY PLAYS VERONICA FROM "BETTER OFF TED"! I hope we get some Viridian Dynamic closure if this show gets a season 2.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I was finally able to sit down and watch it. I watched the first three episodes. I'm enjoying it. I think the best part is the neighbor, Eric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom