• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Santa Clarita Diet |OT| Feel younger while eating whoever you want! - Netflix 2/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just finished, wish there was more :( I definitely think it got better as it went on. Enjoyable cast, fun show overall.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wow, Barrymore actually gets better as the show goes on. I laughed out loud when
she told her neighbor "Get out" when Joel was moving the body behind her
. She's had some good moments.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It definitely improved as it went on, but at the end of the day the show still wasn't very good. There were some fun bits here and there, but most of the humor felt recycled from other shows (not to mention that it relied too heavily on swearing-as-humor). The result was that it was almost entirely devoid of laughs and it seemed like the actors were aware of it and tried to compensate by ratcheting up their performances to 11, which isn't something that worked for me.

I never warmed to Olyphant's constant overblown reactions, although I did think that Barrymore came across better the longer she was on screen. In the first couple episodes she was really stilted - like she hadn't acted in a while or something - but by the end she seemed more natural.

Despite not being all that good, it was an easy show to get through (mainly due to the super fast pacing) and I will watch a second season. I just hope they can find a way to make it better next year.

It definitely improved as it went on, but at the end of the day the show still wasn't very good. There were some fun bits here and there, but most of the humor felt recycled from other shows (not to mention that it relied too heavily on swearing-as-humor). The result was that it was almost entirely devoid of laughs and it seemed like the actors were aware of it and tried to compensate by ratcheting up their performances to 11, which isn't something that worked for me.

Humour is very individual, but for me it was a very different experience. I was pretty much chuckling the whole time, and there were usually several big laughs every episode.

Mathieran

Banned
I just finished last night. I thought it was pretty good til the second half of the last episode then it kinda fell apart. And I really don't like huge cliffhanger endings like that either. Nothing was resolved. It's fine to introduce new questions or leave some stuff unresolved but I feel like the plot went off the rails at the end and nothing got fixed. Hopefully we will get another season.

Pretty good first season. Olyphant was great, Barrymore was okay, the daughter and the neighbor boy were rather intolerable, and some of the plotting was odd/annoying.
Daughter knows her ma is a zombie from the jump, knows what she needs to eat, DEMANDS honesty from her parents, and they still hide things/lied to her regardless.
Considering the rather blasé way they handle Sheila's death/reanimation, hiding stuff from Abby felt out of character for the show. And the finale was horrible.

Overall, about a B.

pitchfork

The teenage daughter reminds me of a ginger Daisy Ridley..

Finished the series last night and really enjoyed it!

Hoping for a season 2, especially as it ended kind of abruptly

The teenage daughter reminds me of a ginger Daisy Ridley..

Finished the series last night and really enjoyed it!

Hoping for a season 2, especially as it ended kind of abruptly

She reminds me of the girl from Under The Dome, at first I thought maybe they were sisters or something but IMDB dispelled that.

Haines

Banned
5 episodes in.

It has a few good moments but feels too over the top or something.

If it was just slightly grounded at all it would be more engaging.

Pretty much only watching it for Olyphant.

Zen Aku

Last episode got me. Her and Eric needs to go on their own adventure soon
Yeah they make such a good duo. I'm glad Abby and Eric didn't get shoved to the side since the show is more about Joel and Sheila shenanigans. But Abby is just as crazy as her parents lol
I agree with everyone else- Olyphant steals the show.

Olyphant impressed me the most. Didn't know he had such comedic chop. Also damn he's aging beautifully.

It's a shame what happened to
Gary. Would like to see Nathan Fillion stick around a bit more lol

Question about the Soft Cliffhanger:

From Barrymore's tone, it was implied that she set Joel up to be arrested? That her id has fully taken over and she is planning on escaping and even possibly eating her clients? Otherwise, her final sentence seems like poor writing.

TheYanger

Question about the Soft Cliffhanger:

From Barrymore's tone, it was implied that she set Joel up to be arrested? That her id has fully taken over and she is planning on escaping and even possibly eating her clients? Otherwise, her final sentence seems like poor writing.
What? It's literally just a throw away joke line about
the fact that both are imprisoned and neither of them can solve the problem because of it (him in jail, her voluntarily chained up)

What are the odds of Lucy Lu and Cameron diaz. to make an appearance lol I can't stop imagining Charlie's Angels when I see drew in this

Ron Mexico

Definitely subjective and works so much better if you appreciate (very) dark comedy. For me, I loved it. Thought Barrymore was an interesting choice--not the one I would have gone with but I almost think that's just as intentional.

Even though it's nothing at all like, say, Monty Python, it's probably the best simile of the sharp divide between those who love it and those who don't.

What? It's literally just a throw away joke line about
the fact that both are imprisoned and neither of them can solve the problem because of it (him in jail, her voluntarily chained up)

I guess I just didn't really appreciate/understand why they chose the zombie subgenre as a catalyst for subverting standard sitcom tropes. It seemed like they were going for Arrested Development levels of meta-introspection and just ended up with pointless gags.

Finished the season. I thought the finale was strong. I don't see it as a cliffhanger at all. Just setting up a potential second season.

Really hoping this gets renewed.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just finished it. Overall, I thought it was great. Started off a bit uneven, but I think it found it's footing. Abby and Eric were my favorite parts of the show. Especially Eric.

Just finished, really enjoyed it, but that ending is going to be really upsetting if this doesn't get a second season.
Ending season 1 of a show on a cliff hanger like that is never a good idea.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I just started watching this on a whim thinking it was a show about a cannibal housewife and I guess that's true to some extent but didn't realize it was going for what I assume is a zombie story? I'm only a few episodes in so its still not clear and I'm actually not sure how I feel on the show as it has some incredibly funny moments and the characters are likable enough but some of the dialogue is really stilted and the acting is... really weird? Like Olyphant is really good in some scenes but really bad in others.

Also the two cops and their petty rivalry is hilarious.

Fuchsdh

It's not the gore. It's the puke and raw meat. I can watch zombie go to town on people all day, but watching someone puke for like 5 minutes straight is just gross. Also don't particularly want to see someone handling raw beef and chicken.

I'm just going to point out that having someone's entrails get ripped out being a-ok but being bothered by someone touching raw meat has to be one of the most ridiculous red lines for gore I've ever heard.

Started watching this last night. I think it's fucking hilarious. It's just so damn goofy and positive but incredibly twisted at the same time. The tonal switches reminds me of something like Gremlins.

Olyphant's performance has this Jimmy Stewart quality if Stewart ever played a pothead parent in over his head. I'm laughing my ass off at every uncomfortable face he makes.

That was a fun show overall and I'm glad I watched it. For some reason my favorite bit was at the barbecue when a friend came up to him with that craft honey beer and Olyphant responded sarcastically as fuck. Olyphant had this manic vibe to him that was so unlike anything I had I ever seen him in before. Loki scenes too, that guy was a character. I'd like more episodes but I'd be satisfied if that was it.

Future

I just finished last night. I thought it was pretty good til the second half of the last episode then it kinda fell apart. And I really don't like huge cliffhanger endings like that either. Nothing was resolved. It's fine to introduce new questions or leave some stuff unresolved but I feel like the plot went off the rails at the end and nothing got fixed. Hopefully we will get another season.

Same. I had no idea that was he last episode and it felt like it ended mid season. Gotta close some threads before introducing new ones

Just started it.

The actings fucking awful. Particularly Barrymore and the husband.

Uhm...Nathan Fillion? Yes?

God...this is unbearable to watch.

adj_noun

Just finished it the other day.

Absolutely loved it, especially Barrymore and Olyphant's performances. It's such an oddly sweet and earnest show.

Really looking forward to another season.

sn00zer

Echoing sentiments that the show is just a ton of fun. Im not a fan of splatter horror, but this has far more comedy than splatter and a very lite tone. Good fun all around.

Dali

On the last episode. This show is pretty hilarious. It gets pretty gross though. Between the puke, cannibalism, and zombie fucking I can't say what's worse. I think the zombie fucking probably... yep... definitely the zombie fucking.

T.O.P

Banned
Show starts really good up to ep4, after that it gets fuckin fantastic

Might finish the whole season in a day, loving it

EulaCapra

I finished the season.... and the show is just okay. It feels like a PG-rated family romp with added gore and cussing. But as the show progressed, their budget and production values looked more and more like a Disney Channel original movie. I did binge it in two days, so it must have done something right.

From episode 1, my instant reaction to the teenaged girl was, "Huh. She's acting weird. I bet she's struggling behind an accent." Lo and behold IMDB, another Australian actress trying (but failing) to pass an American accent. She's not Sam Worthington-bad, but it made it really hard for me to tolerate her acting.

dlauv

I've only finished three episodes, but I'm hoping to finish more soon.

Hilarious. The two leads are so patronizing to each other, and it's a bit like an energetic sitcom, such as Arrested Development, Kimmy Schmidt, or Always Sunny, in that reality is heightened and laced with satire. But I think it's funnier than all, especially the latter. Not all jokes work, but most do.

The weak link is definitely the daughter, not through fault of her acting really -- which is fine and I like her demeanor -- but because of her story beats. Reminds me of early Bobby Hill always one-upping and smirking.

MUnited83

For you.
It's not great but I grew to love the characters. Abby is hilarious. Probably my favorite character.
I just binge watched this today and I agree. Abby is my spirit animal. That part where she tries the
prototype "cure"
had me in stitches.

I finished it and it was entirely forgettable. The hint of a good show was there but the are awful at writing comedy. I thought the daughter was going to be an insufferable child actor, but she goes between believable teenage daughter and TV teenage daughter as conceptualized by Joss Whedon.

There are so many plot cul de sacs that its frustrating to watch. Give the show an objective next season and bring on some genuine comedic writers. Drew and Tim can do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom