• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This is so surreal. He came back to work and was his usual happy self. Everything was supposed to be okay, and then this happens. E3 won't be the same without him. :(

I really worry that without Iwata to reign things in and Miyamoto taking more of a backseat role, Nintendo could go too far into the whole mobile territory, especially if the board can bully the new guy into doing so.

Kouichi

MypuquR.png

This really touches my heart.

Iwata was steadfast that he would never institute layoffs. A lot of people in the business world criticized him for this, saying that sometimes you have to do it and have no choice. Iwata would always say that's not how it works in art - if people fear for their jobs, they won't make the best art they can make.

I always figured he thought that way because he's been on the other end, he knows what it's like to make video games for a living. He doesn't view developers as expendable, he doesn't want them to leave, he wanted them to make great games and be happy doing it.

Whatever you think of the results, we're probably never going to get a major gaming CEO like that again. I think Iwata is one of the few CEOs that would call anyone who developed games a friend.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
he did so much more than people even know

it was ridiculous

This is hitting me way too hard. Last thing he did was apologize to people for an amazing puppet direct.

This pisses me off. I watched that Direct after the fact and loved it. The fact that he had to apologize for something like that...

Mentok

Banned
This is truly a sad day. Thank you Iwata-san for being a major contributor in what has been and still is such a major part of my life.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Even if you disagreed with him, this man genuinely loved our hobby. RIP

I still can't believe it. I had only learned within the past 5 years what he had done for my two of my favorite games, Pokemon Silver and Earthbound, and looked up to him a lot for all he did to get them out of their troubled development cycles. He was one inspirational person and is definitely is the reason why I even try to work on some of my own projects after all of the setbacks I've had.

Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata, you will be missed.

Harts316

Who is going to take over now? Do you think Reggie is going to go for the power grab now that there is an opportunity for him to sieze power?

I've been crying since hearing the news, so I need a bit of an outlet to write this I suppose.

A few years ago a few thought I was kinda crazy because I got super frustrated I wasn't able to meet Mr. Iwata. During E3, I'd just show up too late here or there, always missing the window of opportunity to meet him. I really wanted to meet him because of everything he helped accomplish with Nintendo and I just wanted to say thanks. Call it something akin to meeting an idol or something, I don't know.

Anyway... my husband was lucky enough to work with him when he was in the RWC office and always had the nicest things to say about him. Well, whenever he was in the office, I'd have him take my 3DS to work to get Mr. Iwata's Mii and StreetPass. For SOME reason, he had all the rare puzzle pieces, who'da thunk it! One time when he was in town, I decided to write a private message to him, just for fun. I never thought he'd ever take the time to write something back.

eNwyZTW.jpg

Well, shockingly he did! I'm still stunned he took the time to do so because unlike E3, this is a company/work environment and I imagine he was fairly busy at a CEO.

Now he's passed on and I don't even have the right words. RIP Mr. Iwata, I really did like the banana joke.

This is wonderful, thanks for sharing.

elhav

I've been crying since hearing the news, so I need a bit of an outlet to write this I suppose.

A few years ago a few thought I was kinda crazy because I got super frustrated I wasn't able to meet Mr. Iwata. During E3, I'd just show up too late here or there, always missing the window of opportunity to meet him. I really wanted to meet him because of everything he helped accomplish with Nintendo and I just wanted to say thanks. Call it something akin to meeting an idol or something, I don't know.

Anyway... my husband was lucky enough to work with him when he was in the RWC office and always had the nicest things to say about him. Well, whenever he was in the office, I'd have him take my 3DS to work to get Mr. Iwata's Mii and StreetPass. For SOME reason, he had all the rare puzzle pieces, who'da thunk it! One time when he was in town, I decided to write a private message to him, just for fun. I never thought he'd ever take the time to write something back.

eNwyZTW.jpg

Well, shockingly he did! I'm still stunned he took the time to do so because unlike E3, this is a company/work environment and I imagine he was fairly busy at a CEO.

Now he's passed on and I don't even have the right words. RIP Mr. Iwata, I really did like the banana joke.
This is amazing.

Unbelievable. My fucking God.

I could only serve to echo the sentiments in this thread, but still, I'm utterly shocked. One of the few individuals in the industry I've respected and believed in. I admire the entity of his career at Nintendo, and I'll sincerely miss his personality and philosophy on this industry. He showed an irrefutable sense of understanding and profound sense of purpose as both an individual and as representative of an industry giant-- and I don't hyperbolize whatsoever.

I'll watch with great interest, and underlying remorse, as Nintendo continues on without him. Let's hope those guiding the company onward show a shared sense of responsibility and respect towards our cherished hobby-- most commenting here understand the impact he had and pressure he withstood, and we'll be lucky to find another president taking his place with similar ideals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom