• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been crying since hearing the news, so I need a bit of an outlet to write this I suppose.

A few years ago a few thought I was kinda crazy because I got super frustrated I wasn't able to meet Mr. Iwata. During E3, I'd just show up too late here or there, always missing the window of opportunity to meet him. I really wanted to meet him because of everything he helped accomplish with Nintendo and I just wanted to say thanks. Call it something akin to meeting an idol or something, I don't know.

Anyway... my husband was lucky enough to work with him when he was in the RWC office and always had the nicest things to say about him. Well, whenever he was in the office, I'd have him take my 3DS to work to get Mr. Iwata's Mii and StreetPass. For SOME reason, he had all the rare puzzle pieces, who'da thunk it! One time when he was in town, I decided to write a private message to him, just for fun. I never thought he'd ever take the time to write something back.

eNwyZTW.jpg

Well, shockingly he did! I'm still stunned he took the time to do so because unlike E3, this is a company/work environment and I imagine he was fairly busy at a CEO.

Now he's passed on and I don't even have the right words. RIP Mr. Iwata, I really did like the banana joke.

He certainly cared about his fans.

Drain You

I usually am not really bothered too much by the death of people I don't know ( hope that doesn't sound weird ) but this made me feel so sad. I haven't even been much of a Nintendo fan since the Gamecube, but damn :(

Shengar

If you guys noticed it, Iwata looks so thin in his Iwata Ask interview of FE If. I barely recognized him when I see the interview and it took by unpleasant when I realized it :(

I want to make the thread but it seems all too late.

Rest in Peace Satoru Iwata, hopefully Nintendo have a worthy successor.

Kriken

entremet

From Twitter @OneLetter

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Iwata

Bass260

I've been crying since hearing the news, so I need a bit of an outlet to write this I suppose.

A few years ago a few thought I was kinda crazy because I got super frustrated I wasn't able to meet Mr. Iwata. During E3, I'd just show up too late here or there, always missing the window of opportunity to meet him. I really wanted to meet him because of everything he helped accomplish with Nintendo and I just wanted to say thanks. Call it something akin to meeting an idol or something, I don't know.

Anyway... my husband was lucky enough to work with him when he was in the RWC office and always had the nicest things to say about him. Well, whenever he was in the office, I'd have him take my 3DS to work to get Mr. Iwata's Mii and StreetPass. For SOME reason, he had all the rare puzzle pieces, who'da thunk it! One time when he was in town, I decided to write a private message to him, just for fun. I never thought he'd ever take the time to write something back.

eNwyZTW.jpg

Well, shockingly he did! I'm still stunned he took the time to do so because unlike E3, this is a company/work environment and I imagine he was fairly busy at a CEO.

Now he's passed on and I don't even have the right words. RIP Mr. Iwata, I really did like the banana joke.

He lived for the fans. Thanks for sharing.

I flinched when I saw this, first I saw the "Iwata Asks is really rad" thread, then I looked up and saw this one on top. I legitimately had an involuntary twitch of disbelief. I can't believe this, wtf. I thought this was a cruel joke at first.

Dammit, I can't handle people dying. 95+ is the only acceptable age of death in my opinion, anything else is far too soon. A huge gut punch, since my biggest fear is my parents dying, and this just reminds me of its inevitability. They aren't allowed to leave before they see their grandkids :'(.

Yokai

eNwyZTW.jpg

Oh my god. What a great guy!

Vena

I really worry that without Iwata to reign things in and Miyamoto taking more of a backseat role, Nintendo could go too far into the whole mobile territory, especially if the board can bully the new guy into doing so.

Not with his passing. They wouldn't. Not for several years at least.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

eNwyZTW.jpg

What an amazing story. Thank you for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom