• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia has received 2.5 million Syrian refugees, slams media claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
need more credible news sources.

Al Jazeerais is based in Qatar, and Qatar has been complicit with Saudi Arabia and Turkey at funding anti-Assad rebels (some of who fall into extreme groups)

so anything Al Jazeera says should be taken with a grain of salt until other news sources verify those claims coming from Qatar biased news.

Al Jazeera is as credible as Russian based RT

Al Jazeera English is basically x-BBC/CBC/CNN/PBS journalists that escaped to a better place.

ITs NOTHING like RT

KTOOOOOOM

Neo Member
no, but they weaken their influence. it is reason enough for the royal family to ignore ISIS's atrocities and do little to stop them.
did not we were the first to call them out and warned the world of them,and did visits to almost all countries calling for a stand against them but no one cares untill it is too late.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_intervention_against_ISIL
Saudi’s cooperation in the U.S.-led coalition airstrikes against ISIS in Syria has reawakened a powerful military that has not fought since 1991.
http://www.ibtimes.com/saudi-arabia...isis-threat-wake-king-abdullahs-death-1792962
"It was King Abdullah who put all the moral, the political weight behind the international coalition to stop ISIS' momentum,"
little not so much

LordDash

Banned
Although I love my country and support it, this is hard to believe. 2.5 million? Bullshit. We would've noticed it if we got such a plunge of people in our country. Especially in the Hijaz area where most foreigners tend to flock to.

KTOOOOOOM

Neo Member
Although I love my country and support it, this is hard to believe. 2.5 million? Bullshit. We would've noticed it if we got such a plunge of people in our country. Especially in the Hijaz area where most foreigners tend to flock to.

i see them everywhere because of my work nature.

LordDash

Banned
i see them everywhere because of my work nature.

So, you mean to tell me that 2.5 million of Syrians have been given entrance to Saudi Arabia without a single word of mouth spreading? Doubtful man, not even the local newspapers/broadcasts were stating anything about this.

What do you work as, if I may ask?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
what do you mean?

I mean you're literally ignoring what I type and defending ALL Saudis from ludicrous generalizations I never made. So unless you're denying that very highly connected Saudis at the highest level of society are funding Al Qaeda and ISIS then stop arguing with me. Because they are.

Nesotenso

If they have taken in 2.5 million Syrian refugees, you'd think people would have noticed before today. I mean we live in the internet age, where everyone is connected and news spreads in seconds not months...

If this is true, obviously Saudi Arabia needs to hire better PR people considering basically the entire world believed they had taken zero refugees for months and months.... which is odd because the Saudi regime cares a hell of a lot about their image and hires some of the top lobbyists and PR people... so why did they let this story build up for so long, with tons of negative news coverage, before saying anything?

Of course Al Jazeera is Qatari and (supposedly) they have taken in zero Syrian refugees as well... we already saw how biased they were when a Sunny mostly Saudi army went into Bahrain and violently crushed the protests by the Shia majority there, propping up the minority Sunni regime... almost no coverage while they focused on countries like Syria, Egypt, Libya, etc. that better fit the narrative they were pushing. The Syrian conflict is also in large part a Sunni vs Shia thing, so I'm guessing their coverage is pretty much entirely anti-Assad... are they at all critical of the Saudis bombing (majority Shia) Yemen?

Questions:
Is Saudi Arabia taking in Shia muslim refugees from Syria?
Is Saudi Arabia taking in Yazidi, Assyrian (Christian), Druze, etc. refugees from Syria?
Can these people freely practice their religion in Saudi Arabia?

uh no, I actually watch Al Jazeera English and they had coverage of the Bahraini uprising and the subsequent actions of the Saudi military. No idea about the arabic channel.

But it is clear idiots in this thread never watch the channel if they compare it to Russia Today.

KTOOOOOOM

Neo Member
So, you mean to tell me that 2.5 million of Syrians have been given entrance to Saudi Arabia without a single word of mouth spreading? Doubtful man, not even the local newspapers/broadcasts were stating anything about this.

What do you work as, if I may ask?

educational supervisor i have been working since 2009 as you know we get parachute drop everywhere
worked in arar then dammam then taif then riyadh in 2009 and 2010 i barely see any Syrian
after the crisis every school there are at least 5 to 10 Syrian dependent on the area.

Who wants to live in Israel as an Arab?
Erm, most Arabs who live in Israel? Even most Arabs in East Jerusalem say they want to remain part of Israel (just over half according to a recent survey). Unless you are a fundamentalist Muslim straight rich adult male who is the right type of Arab (and the right type of Muslim) then Israel is the best place for you in the middle east. Israel has also given humanitarian aid and treated Syrians in its hospitals, and I'm pretty sure I have read about a small number of refugees being accepted - but yes that number could be higher. All while Syria are technically still at war with them.

Anyway I don't see why Israel was ever relevant to this thread. Good on Saudi Arabia if true, hardly makes up for the fact there is so much terror in the world in the first place thanks to them though.

KTOOOOOOM

Neo Member
I mean you're literally ignoring what I type and defending ALL Saudis from ludicrous generalizations I never made. So unless you're denying that very highly connected Saudis at the highest level of society are funding Al Qaeda and ISIS then stop arguing with me. Because they are.

you said i have no access to google or mainstream news outlets which i fail to see the reason for this post.
how to deny something you cant prove because if you say they are funding ISIS doesn't mean jack shit in the world.it does not work like this everyone can claim something do we automatically say it is the truth .
you act like you have been in KSA and know the society THAT is a ludicrous generalizations.

Stinkles

he is lying
i will return to use yellow pages if only Bing is the option lol

Um, I am not lying, I was mocking you for your lack of information about your own country. Most of the Syrians your country has taken in came on work visas, and the vast majority before the events of this year.

Now don't get me wrong, my country has taken in far fewer, and is arguably MORE responsible for the emergence of ISIS in the first place, but the elites in your country are unquestionably funding them, and ironically, their enemies, Al Qaeda.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
They want me to believe that 2.5 million Syrians crossed through either Iraq or Jordan and tried to enter Saudi Arabia...and they let them in? These lying pieces of shit. Turkey, where a lot of the Syrian refugees ended up in, doesn't have 2.5 million Syrians as refugees, and that's the country that borders Syria.

Stinkles

They want me to believe that 2.5 million Syrians crossed through either Iraq or Jordan and tried to enter Saudi Arabia...and they let them in? These lying pieces of shit. Turkey, where a lot of the Syrian refugees ended up in, doesn't have 2.5 million Syrians as refugees, and that's the country that borders Syria.

Saudi Arabia is including every Syrian who legally entered the country since 2011 in that figure, including every non refugee migrant worker with a visa.

LordDash

Banned
Saudi Arabia is including every Syrian who legally entered the country since 2011 in that figure, including every non refugee migrant worker with a visa.

Honestly, this can only be the most logical explanation for that large ass number they pulled out.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

So they're playing a game of semantics? We all know how generous these fucking cunts are. Just ask Palestinians just how far Gulf hospitality goes. The minute some Syrian says anything pro Assad, they may just kick them all out.

Valhelm

contribute something
i wouldn't be surprised if USA or UK fund ISIS.

The US probably did assist ISIS unintentionally, through aid to dissident groups who are now allied with the Islamic State.

I'm not sure why direct aid would be of any importance to the US or UK. Undermining China's oil interests in Iraq, maybe?

rrvv

The US probably did assist ISIS unintentionally, through aid to dissident groups who are now allied with the Islamic State.

I'm not sure why direct aid would be of any importance to the US or UK. Undermining China's oil interests in Iraq, maybe?

Well Assad is Russian allies so they certainly have an agenda

not saying they should support ISIS

Heard about this the other day. Really great if true because the important thing here is that the Syrians are getting help. Hopefully the other Gulf states jump in as well.

Been seeing the footage of the crisis on ABC here and everytime it puts tears in my eyes.

The idea of a country/its people still calling it the "Kingdom" and being controlled by a legit king is so bizarre to me. It's 2015, brehs.

lol this thread
isis funding, google ban,no internet accesses,china
tales from my ass
bring facts or bust.
The problem is things like who is financing ISIS are not going to become public knowledge because of political repercussions. people can only make educated guesses, e.g: http://www.dw.com/en/who-finances-isis/a-17720149
Günter Meyer is Director of the Center for Research into the Arabic World at the University of Mainz. Meyer says he has no doubt about where ISIS gets its funding. "The most important source of ISIS financing to date has been support coming out of the Gulf states, primarily Saudi Arabia but also Qatar, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates,"

KTOOOOOOM

Neo Member
The problem is things like who is financing ISIS are not going to become public knowledge because of political repercussions. people can only make educated guesses, e.g: http://www.dw.com/en/who-finances-isis/a-17720149

fixed for you

"There is no publicly accessible proof that the government of a state has been involved in the creation or financing of ISIS as an organisation," said Charles Lister, Visiting Fellow at the Brookings Doha Center in Qatar, a subsidiary of the US think-tank Brookings Institution.
Others take a different view. Günter Meyer is Director of the Center for Research into the Arabic World at the University of Mainz. Meyer says he has no doubt about where ISIS gets its funding. "The most important source of ISIS financing to date has been support coming out of the Gulf states, primarily Saudi Arabia but also Qatar, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates," Meyer told Deutsche Welle.

ZiZ

The idea of a country/its people still calling it the "Kingdom" and being controlled by a legit king is so bizarre to me. It's 2015, brehs.

Kingdom is a cool name, it's being called Saudi's after the house of Saud that sounds weird, like imagine if Americans were called Obamans, or Bushians.

Saudi is a shit country, Israel is a shit country, Europe is shit, U.S is the devil.

let's just implode and hit the reset button.

We all suck as humans and we ruined this world for us and for all the next generations.

Sometimes I even contemplate what if the other side won WW2? Can we even be at a worse situation than now?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'd like some more evidence than a nation's PR wing claiming numbers especially when they don't abide by the international refugee agreement.

The other thing that is susceptible is that for all of the people leaving Syria and risking the hell out of their lives to get to Europe (Mainly Germany) there is apparently a nation saying they are giving the refugees (who they aren't calling refugees) free non-restrictive movement, free housing, and free healthcare, so why are all of the refugees heading to Europe? It's not like they are exactly the same distance away and the way Saudia Arabia is describing their offers to the syrian, is there even a choice of which place you'd rather go?

KTOOOOOOM

Neo Member
I'd like some more evidence than a nation's PR wing claiming numbers especially when they don't abide by the international refugee agreement.

The other thing that is susceptible is that for all of the people leaving Syria and risking the hell out of their lives to get to Europe (Mainly Germany) there is apparently a nation saying they are giving the refugees (who they aren't calling refugees) free non-restrictive movement, free housing, and free healthcare, so why are all of the refugees heading to Europe? It's not like they are exactly the same distance away and the way Saudia Arabia is describing their offers to the syrian, is there even a choice of which place you'd rather go?

we don't claim things we take actions.
like we did with Myanmar's Rohingya ethnic group, a Muslim minority in the predominantly Buddhist country, are described by the United Nations as one of the most persecuted groups of people in the world. WE TOOK 4 MILLION Burmese .

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/middle-east/the-rohingyas-lives-in-limbo

http://newscentral.exsees.com/item/285dda7c57c190fc65f5c85e2b0b8682-c3cf4bf3bf9d06ad3fadf4c8f535f189

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
This thread is interesting looking back. I wonder how Israel is able to escape criticism for actually taking zero refugees.
First off, Israel did not take 'zero', they took a few hundreds. Not as policy, but just because some injuried spilled over the border and were then treated in Israeli hospitals and not deported.

Some Israeli parties (Meretz, Labor) called to take refugees. The general public is seemingly quite against it.
The reasoning of the public is that (I'm not arguing either for or against, but these are the 'against' arguments of most of the public):
a. Syria is an enemy state, and also the refugees could be harboring ill-will or even are willing to actually harm Israel (and/or racism).
b. It's a small country with enough issues as it is. Why don't the gulf countries help more? (see: this thread).
c. There are already tens of thousands of African refugees. We can't take any more / look at how badly they're doing.

The arguments of the left for taking in refugees is "humanitarianism", and they often mention the fact that Jewish refugees were denied entry to many European countries during the holocaust.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
we don't claim things we take actions.
like we did with Myanmar's Rohingya ethnic group, a Muslim minority in the predominantly Buddhist country, are described by the United Nations as one of the most persecuted groups of people in the world. WE TOOK 4 MILLION Burmese .

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/middle-east/the-rohingyas-lives-in-limbo

http://newscentral.exsees.com/item/285dda7c57c190fc65f5c85e2b0b8682-c3cf4bf3bf9d06ad3fadf4c8f535f189

Your reply didn't prove anything to me.

KTOOOOOOM

Neo Member
First off, Israel did not take 'zero', they took a few hundreds. Not as policy, but just because some injuried spilled over the border and were then treated in Israeli hospitals and not deported.

Some Israeli parties (Meretz, Labor) called to take refugees. The general public is seemingly quite against it.
The reasoning of the public is that (I'm not arguing either for or against, but these are the 'against' arguments of most of the public):
a. Syria is an enemy state, and also the refugees could be harboring ill-will or even are willing to actually harm Israel (and/or racism).
b. It's a small country with enough issues as it is. Why don't the gulf countries help more? (see: this thread).
c. There are already tens of thousands of African refugees. We can't take any more / look at how badly they're doing.

The arguments of the left for taking in refugees is "humanitarianism", and they often mention the fact that Jewish refugees were denied entry to many European countries during the holocaust.

the irony only Arab welcomed you after WW2 now you occupy them and killing them.

Sayad

How did nobody notice or report on it.
I'm assuming the vast majority of them are Syrians who work in KSA, not homeless refugees taken in after fleeing from the war(most of them probably were there before the start of the war too). Kinda hard to sneak in 2.5 millions without anyone noticing.

Kolx

no way is it true. saudis....well, they just arent very nice. i come from a nation where the poor migrate there, and the way they are treated, what i saw with my own eyes as i flew in emirates or etihad en-route to my native country...hell you can youtube videos of bangladeshi taxi drivers dragged out of cars in the middle of the streets by saudis and slapped around. they dont consider others humans.

Are you serious? If you want to take invidual accident and generalize it then you can make every nation in the world looks bad. Flash news: every country has some bad people within it.

Kolx

Care to give an evidence? Cuz it seems like a wild assumption. specially with ISIS attacks in SA ( last one killed many soldiers) so why would they support them?

So is Saudi Arabia offering to take in refugees now?

I didn't see anything in that PR amounting to an invitation, just some suspect numbers. They already had at least 100,000 Syrians living in the country prior to the war.

It's up to Saudi Arabia and the other GCC countries to make a clear and unambiguous statement they are now accepting any Syrians fleeing the conflict they helped exacerbate. Many refugees will no longer have to risk their lives crossing to Europe once the GCC countries welcome them with open arms.

The Saudis have put up 100,000 air conditioned tents for Hajj which can be used by Syrians after it is over. There are no excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom