• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Save A Life: Naughty Dog fan leather smith fighting cancer (Last stretch ~1.1k left!)

kubus

Oh man I was starting to begin to fear the worst and I felt absolutely horrible about everything :(.

But that picture proves that David at least had surgery. The Naughty Dog tattoo should be prove enough that it's him.

I feel terrible that David needs to actually prove that this thing isn't a huge scam by making a picture like that, but unfortunately with the way communication has been poor (or rather the lack of communication) and that DetectiveGAF post, they kinda drove themselves into that position. I'm still a bit weirded out by those ebay things and the collectorsedition forum thread though.

I hope they will keep their promise with the April 4th shipping date. At this point I hope Jackson and the team are absolutely 100000% sure they can make that date or else they shouldn't make promises again. I understand the frustration on their part and I believe they are fully committed to shipping out these orders but like someone else said, it sounds they took too many orders. If they have to delay again... well plenty of people will be pissed...

Hope David can now fully recover, and that Jackson will try to keep us up to date as much as possible from now on. (psst: how about that mass email to everyone who placed an order about the new shipping date? ;))

Also i'd like to say that i'm one of the 3 1st prize raffle winners (Eduardo). And I haven't even been a "huge backer" myself or anything. Bought a 20$ leather wristband (which I have not received for the reasons specified) and gave a 10$ donation for the raffle, which was what I could give out at the time.

But yeah I understand that people are pissed because they didn't expect what some of us expected... which was the stuff you bought being delivered whenever it was possible for them.

NateDrake

Also i'd like to say that i'm one of the 3 1st prize raffle winners (Eduardo). And I haven't even been a "huge backer" myself or anything. Bought a 20$ leather wristband (which I have not received for the reasons specified) and gave a 10$ donation for the raffle, which was what I could give out at the time.

But yeah I understand that people are pissed because they didn't expect what some of us expected... which was the stuff you bought being delivered whenever it was possible for them.

Apparently I'm one of the 3 1st prize winners as well. Did they tell you what you won? I don't remember what the prizes for the 1st prize was.

Strange.........

In an email last night I was told I was in the 3 1st prize winners and that I won the GAEMS Case - BLACK VANGUARD. Could have been a mistake. I'll wait and see what the follow-up email says.

Maybe they thought black vanguard case was better than 5 posters, i don't know.

NateDrake

It seems like this was a very GAF-centric supported campaign from the looks of it lol.

Agreed. The day the raffle began it seemed like a lot of attention came from GAF. Maybe everyone who donated and entered is being given something since they increased the prizes and winners.

beast786

It seems like this was a very GAF-centric supported campaign from the looks of it lol.

Agreed. The day the raffle began it seemed like a lot of attention came from GAF. Maybe everyone who donated and entered is being given something since they increased the prizes and winners.

I didn't enter the raffle for prize. I did gave the ps4 contest which was done here. I really hope all goes well

I didn't enter the raffle for prize. I did gave the ps4 contest which was done here. I really hope all goes well

No no, I mean seeing that three winners were from GAF... I guess it kinda means many gaffers donated. I say it as a good thing, not that people entered due to prizes... which are a nice incentive anyways.

aristotle

You know I'm all for the well wishes and praying for his recovery, but I can't personally feel anything but scammed at this point. I placed my order way back on November 14th when none of this bad luck or whatever happened. I've emailed them numerous times over the last several months being quite understanding with my order but I've only received a single reply and that was back in Feb 12th. This is all that I received:

Hello sorry for the delay. Our email crashed and we've been trying to get back in touch with everyone. I will message you soon with a full update.

Thanks for your patience.
Michelle

I haven't received anything since then and I email every time they supposedly have an email issue. They seem to have them a lot for some reason. I'm just frustrated at this point. I didn't get involved with the raffle or any other donation because of the way I've been treated so far. It makes me second guess donating which I've never done before. I felt like I was ordering something I really liked and helping someone else out in the process. Right now, I just lost money without even a simple thank you for my order.

If it wasn't for the fact that I actually really like the work he did, I would've reported this to my local BBB and AG a long time ago. There isn't a single reason why my order shouldn't have been shipped out when I placed it since everything was in stock and this was before the relapse. I just don't get it. If I don't hear something extremely soon, I'll have to do everything I can legally to get my money back which they already took back in Nov. Bleh.

You know I'm all for the well wishes and praying for his recovery, but I can't personally feel anything but scammed at this point. I placed my order way back on November 14th when none of this bad luck or whatever happened. I've emailed them numerous times over the last several months being quite understanding with my order but I've only received a single reply and that was back in Feb 12th. This is all that I received:

I haven't received anything since then and I email every time they supposedly have an email issue. They seem to have them a lot for some reason. I'm just frustrated at this point. I didn't get involved with the raffle or any other donation because of the way I've been treated so far. It makes me second guess donating which I've never done before. I felt like I was ordering something I really liked and helping someone else out in the process. Right now, I just lost money without even a simple thank you for my order.

If it wasn't for the fact that I actually really like the work he did, I would've reported this to my local BBB and AG a long time ago. There isn't a single reason why my order shouldn't have been shipped out when I placed it since everything was in stock and this was before the relapse. I just don't get it. If I don't hear something extremely soon, I'll have to do everything I can legally to get my money back which they already took back in Nov. Bleh.

How you feel is how I feel right now, it does seem like one excuse after the other, I'm sure that they will eventually ship what is promised, but I have no idea when that will happen. As such I won't look to process a charge back but can certainly understand people that will be doing so given what's happened with it all.

Grokbu

For those wondering why David's stomach picture was taken down, the GoFundMe people sent them this message:
Jackson,

We are reaching out to let you know that we have removed an image you posted in a recent update to your GoFundMe page. Images used on GoFundMe must be suitable for all audiences and cannot contain blood or other graphic content.

Also, they will be posting pictures of the prizes they are sending out via their Facebook page tomorrow since GoFundMe doesn't allow them to mention their raffle in any way.

Not fronting, but the scar in that picture didnt look like one left by pancreatic surgery. Didn't someone say he had a similar fundraiser for stomach cancer surgery too? Where was his scar for that, or his colostomy bag?

Good luck to the poor chap if this is all real, but I've seen enough 'medical emergency' internet fundraisers turn sour to contribute to one so plagued by a lack of clarity and communication.

Even the sole piece of 'photographic evidence' is kinda dubious and was removed after a couple of days... I wish I was surprised at this point.

kubus

Not fronting, but the scar in that picture didnt look like one left by pancreatic surgery. Didn't someone say he had a similar fundraiser for stomach cancer surgery too? Where was his scar for that, or his colostomy bag?

Good luck to the poor chap if this is all real, but I've seen enough 'medical emergency' internet fundraisers turn sour to contribute to one so plagued by a lack of clarity and communication.
I don't know, I looked up "pancreatic surgery scar" in google images to check and while most scars seem to be vertical, I also saw some that are very similar to what was shown in David's picture... But that is an interesting point about the stomach cancer. I wasn't really involved with that fundraiser though so I don't know what happened then.

I guess we'll find out April 4th what happens. I hope they'll at least send out shipment notifications.

br3wnor

I had half my large intestine taken out because of cancer surgery and it was indeed a verticle cut. I'm not trying to be a dick but that picture look more like someone drew a "stitches" line with eye liner. Most surgeons try for then smallest, least invasive cut possible when dealing with surgeries in the stomach and that scar looks way over the top for a pancreas operation.

I pray I'm wrong and this kid is doing well after a second surgery, but everything just seems weird and off about this.

Draft

It does kind of look like someone's frankenstein halloween makeup :lol

I don't give a damn about the coasters or whatever my prize for donating is. If this kid actually has cancer I hope he's better. If this is a scam, caveat emptor.

I've seen stomach scars like that on cancer photos too. It is true though that most of them are vertical. If he doesn't have any cancer, a simple google search would result in vertical scars.

I want to believe that he wouldn't step so low for this, considering it could lead to legal troubles.

If he's making up a cancer, why not taking a high survival rate one? it would explain surviving a lot more.

I mean, I'm a cautious guy too, but I want to believe too.

Grokbu

Hey all. I have been talking to the guys and here are some things they have mentioned:
Also for those asking about David's scar picture.

There are other scars he has that are not visible in the picture shown. It was hard enough on David to take a picture as revealing as this and we don't want to cause him anymore stress right now. We will be including more pictures in our future updates. His doctors for a reason had to take a different approach when it came to this surgery. This made it extremely difficult for David's recovery.

We were all told many times that he most likely wouldn't survive this but we can't accept that and it's amazing that David hasn't accepted that...
The picture will be reposted to their Facebook page.

Also, they will be posting a new picture this week to show everyone a close up with David's permission. It will be posted to their Facebook page.

They will also be starting to ship items as early as tomorrow they will update people via Facebook and via e-mail.

I've had pancreas surgery (to remove an insulinoma) and have a very similar scar (albeit with staples rather than stitching).

I guess it depends on the surgery team

Edit: on closer look it looks like he has staples to

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So in 2012, he had a campaign for raising money to treat stage III stomach cancer (10-20% chance of survival), and a year later, another campaign was started to raise funds for treating stage II pancreatic cancer (5-7% chance of survival).

I don't know if that's a case of being extremely lucky to survive such odds, or being extremely unlucky to end up with multiple instances of very malignant cancers to begin with. It was more believable until that post above, though. I hate assuming the worst.

I find it strange that they would delete as much as they could of their Indie Go Go page. Projects that end don't remove all the updates, original description and photos like that.

Best of luck to him, but all of this makes me feel very uneasy.

aristotle

So someone sent me a PM here on NeoGAF saying I should contact That Vigilante.com with a certain subject headline.

Apparently the entire website is down and the emails no longer are going through. WTF man. Shady as HELL.

kubus

So someone sent me a PM here on NeoGAF saying I should contact That Vigilante.com with a certain subject headline.

Apparently the entire website is down and the emails no longer are going through. WTF man. Shady as HELL.
Do you have their email? Their website seems down right now, but their email is working fine.

Try emailing thatvigilante@gmail.com, they replied to multiple of my emails today. You should be able to contact them through that email.

Grokbu

Apparently the entire website is down and the emails no longer are going through.

Everything was deleted on their old page due to security reasons. Please contact them at thatvigilante@gmail.com .

They're fixing issues and the site will be back up soon. Within a half hour.

They are doing everything possible to make less stress for David and to fix everything.

kubus

New update at the fundraiser, which has been closed now (no donations possible anymore):

Again for all those that contributed to our old fundraiser or know someone who did and did not receive a perk last time please contact us at info@ThatVigilante.com We will be happy to help you!

Subject title should be "Old FR"

We will begin to ship our current backed up orders tomorrow and will continue to do so until we are caught up with everything!

If you have ordered something or contributed and have not gotten a response please contact us at Orders@Thatvigilante.com

Subject title should be "New FR"

Please give us 30 minutes before you email us at the links above. Our whole system (Website Included) is having an update that will help us better assist you.

We want to thank each and everyone again for the enormous amount of support you've given!

Our fundraiser is officially over!

We hope to have David online today so he can read some of the great comments and messages you guys wrote for his Birthday!

We won the first battle for David but now it's up to him to stay strong and do his best to recover. The odds are still against him as some of you know but we have faith everything will work out. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers,

We will continue to post updates on all of our sites!

Thank you!

They will also send out shipping notifications by email tomorrow when their shipment goes out.

old fundraiser means another one not on gofundme?

I beleive so, I think NewFR relates to the GOFUNDME one.

I just forwarded them my previous emails regarding it all reminding them that I hadn't received anything. They have replied saying they will be shipping things in the order of purchase/donation and will give shipping details tomorrow..

kubus

Apparently some buckles and backpacks were shipped out today and those people received tracking info by email. Wonder if someone from GAF is among them? Would be a huge relief if someone could confirm.

Anyways next shipment is supposedly planned for tomorrow, which apparently includes something for me. Will let you guys know when I received tracking info!

Apparently some buckles and backpacks were shipped out today and those people received tracking info by email. Wonder if someone from GAF is among them? Would be a huge relief if someone could confirm.

Anyways next shipment is supposedly planned for tomorrow, which apparently includes something for me. Will let you guys know when I received tracking info!
Nope my backpack didn't ship, hopefully tomorrow.

aristotle

Nothing for me yet and I've been waiting almost 5 mths. At this point it's either funny or depressing. I don't know which. And I sent them an email once their website finally went back online later on the 1st. I got a reply and a promise of someone contacting me later that day with my shipping info. Nothing yet.

I ordered a pencil bust which is still supposedly for sale on the website and not back ordered/sold out.

10 days I'm exercising my legal rights against everyone involved. 10 days isn't some strange date. It's exactly 5 months to the day when I placed my original order back on Nov 14th. I feel like a dick for this, but I don't know what else to do. They haven't followed through with anything they've said on their websites or what they've told me in emails. I think I've given them more than enough time and more understanding than most, but I still feel like a dick for it.

meow

Am I supposed to send an email to orders@ if I ordered something back in November and didn't receive anything/emails about it?

Krentist

Neo Member
10 days I'm exercising my legal rights against everyone involved. 10 days isn't some strange date. It's exactly 5 months to the day when I placed my original order back on Nov 14th. I feel like a dick for this, but I don't know what else to do. They haven't followed through with anything they've said on their websites or what they've told me in emails. I think I've given them more than enough time and more understanding than most, but I still feel like a dick for it.

I'm right there with you... I ordered the holster, a buckle and the wristcuff back at the very beginning of December, so that's a fair chunk of change I've plunked down to have totally been kept in the dark about since then. As much as I don't want to, I may have to resort to a chargeback pretty soon if shipping confirmations don't start happening.

Yeah the fact that its almost been 5 months is crazy - if everything is on the level its understandable but its bad we've been given such poor updates, especially when at when at one point I seemed to getting three emails a week urging me to donate more.

Evilz29

Neo Member
Ordered back in November, fingers crossed they will delivery a product.

I think the sticking point in a lot of this anger is that a lot people didn't donate to their GoFundMe, where your contribution is counted as a "donation", while as sad as it sounds, delivery on goods is not guaranteed.

A lot of GAF members, including myself bought directly from the store, where there is a legal obligation for them to deliver a product to you. It turns this whole charity into a business transaction where people have not received the product they ordered.

While I won't speculate on what the actual situation is with David, I'm pretty confident they will delivery a product, eventually.

It is pretty clear that they had no idea what they've gotten themselves in when this whole thing started, and don't know how to handle the volume of orders.

nampad

Still nothing.

shaowebb

All I care about is that David recovers well from this. He can take as long as he needs on this stuff in my eyes since he nearly died. Please man...just heal up.

Top Bottom