• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Matsukaze

I'm regards to the captain America heel turn, I saw way more outrage the praise for that.

The issue I have with the batgirl /batman thing is that coupled with the age difference, Bruce is kinda screwing his best friend's daughter. That is kind of messed up.

The age difference might not even be that different in actuality, and they are both adults, but something about that relationship never felt right to me.
This is it in a nutshell. It is bizarre that Bruce, the man obsessed with trust and dedication, has no qualms about hooking up with his friend's daughter.

And this is coming from someone who thinks The Killing Joke is the most overrated Batman comic of all time (still fairly good, but overrated). I'm not terribly adamant that the comic be adapted in its purest form, but this addition does nothing to help.

I'm regards to the captain America heel turn, I saw way more outrage the praise for that.

Yeah, I don't know where anyone saw someone praising the Cap thing, because it remains just absolutely the dumbest shit done at the worst possible time. Marvel basically took the huge bump Cap comics would be getting from (the movie) Civil War's enormous popularity and transferred it directly and immediately into the rubbish bin.

The issue I have with the batgirl /batman thing is that coupled with the age difference, Bruce is kinda screwing his best friend's daughter. That is kind of messed up.

The age difference might not even be that different in actuality, and they are both adults, but something about that relationship never felt right to me.

I feel like maybe they decided to go with it because they couldn't commit to making some of the more disturbing implications of The Killing Jokes' events as clear as they were in the comics, so this is a way of trying to pad the lost emotional impact.

If that's not the case--if it's really a pretty 1-to-1 adaption otherwise--I'll have to re-examine it, but if the "why" of it is that they're basically trying to tapdance along the censorship line I can sort of see the logic in it.

I'm not a Batman expert or anything, so I don't really know what their ages are in Killing Joke. But the "best friends daughter" thing I can understand. Its like workplace relationships.

Casual Batman fans probably won't have an issue with it, but the hardcore will just look at it and say "that's wrong" or something

Anung

Un Rama
Does anyone feel like the Killing Joke thing is being blown out of proportion? Like Marvel does things like make Thor a woman and Cap a Hydra agent and people praise it for adding a twist to the old way of those characters and giving a sense of newness to them.

But making Batman and Batgirl have a relationship is somehow unforgivable and ruins the whole movie?

And there's not a father/daughter thing I've ever seen between them, since Jim is her father and your think the father daughter thing would be between them. Batman just seems like more of a teacher to her

Huh? Everyone had a shit fit when they made Cap a Hydra agent.

They alluded to a Barbara/Bruce relationship in Batman Beyond and it felt pretty weird back then. So this movie explicitly hinting at sexual relationship just feels wrong and completely unneeded. To me it does betray the characters somewhat. It seems like a false reason to get batman invested personally even though he would be already because it's batgirl and his best friends daughter. We didn't need this extra dimension plus it dilutes Barbara's character too much. Her being some young hothead jilted lover is just weak and this is from a source material a lot of people already consider problematic for fridging a capable female character. Luckily this was redeemed by her being oracle.

Plus on a base level is just feels weird to me a loner older character in a mentor role boning his friends daughter.

Matsukaze

Somehow I started playing Final Fantasy 14. The most shocking part is that I kind of like it. Will I end up like Pat? Help!
fb0.jpg

Squishy3

So wait, that song actually came from the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy?

It's not a fan work or anything?

I...I don't know what to think of this...
Yes. It's also performed by Shawn McPherson (Shootie HG), the guy who did the DMC3 and DMC4 songs, I'm also pretty sure the song itself was composed by Uematsu as well. (Unsurprising, considering he also blessed us with Eternity from Blue Dragon) Square hasn't stopped either with that sort of thing, since they use nontraditional FF music in XIV too.

You might remember this from Powerman 5000 screaming plagiarism on this.

Usually the way the music works for the fights is they have a first phase that is more akin to traditional FF music (In the above's case it's just a new arrangement of the Fiend theme from FF6) and then they have a phase change where the music changes.

Yeah, I don't know where anyone saw someone praising the Cap thing, because it remains just absolutely the dumbest shit done at the worst possible time. Marvel basically took the huge bump Cap comics would be getting from (the movie) Civil War's enormous popularity and transferred it directly and immediately into the rubbish bin.

You should see the shit they're doing to Captain Marvel before she's even in the public's eye

Holy shit my house has internet again

I actually had to resort to doing productive things like reading books...exercising...watching movies...

It was awful. Never again.

Now I can watch the JoJo LP and nod along pretending to know what they're talking about

I gotta say, Megalon doesn't seem to be all that evil.

He seems more confused than anything else.

Like the scenes where he's watching Jet Jaguar fly around.

Megalon-"What? What the hell is that? Where's it going? Get back here!"

Numb

I gotta say, Megalon doesn't seem to be all that evil.

He seems more confused than anything else.

Like the scenes where he's watching Jet Jaguar fly around.

Megalon-"What? What the hell is that? Where's it going? Get back here!"
You didn't notice all the shit he blew up

Woolie says he hadn't seen Final wars and the next vid is a Godzilla movie that ain't FW
Smh Matt

Oh boy, lots of Goji.

Finished the boxart (poster) video. Now onto the Let's Watch. Its a shame they skipped out on this poster.

5356543709_2d3c748c22_b.jpg

That one's my second favorite, behind Godzilla vs. Megalon on the twin towers. That Hedorah one with Godzilla's silhouette was really interesting though. Never had seen that before.

That Godzilla Let's Watch was bizarrely WWE, but it was hilarious to see two monsters beat the shit out of Jet Jaguar like he owed them money.

Strimei

It is a bit strange to say I guess, but I liked Catherine's reaction to literally throw out the sheet with the ants.

That's some fast thinking.

It's probably more likely that those are all Steam friend requests.

Steam trading cards.

I don't care about them, so every now and then when I go to check my inventory for something there I actually want (like extra copies of games to send to friends or coupons or whatever), I end up deeply confused by how I have hundreds of the useless things.

It is a bit strange to say I guess, but I liked Catherine's reaction to literally throw out the sheet with the ants.

That's some fast thinking.

Best Catherine strikes again.

And it didn't really solve the problem because in the next shot you can still see the ants coming in through the window.

Village

You all should check woolie twitter

Somehow I started playing Final Fantasy 14. The most shocking part is that I kind of like it. Will I end up like Pat? Help!

Its a good game, play it.

Best Final Fantasy since... well 12, 12 was good, but its certainly better than 13

Kaztinka

I was thinking...
imagine if lost soul aside turned out to be a "moby dick studios" stunt by Hajime Tabata

and the Korean guy suddenly comes with a hoodie on twitter...

IT'S ME AUSTIN!

it-s-me-austin-o.gif

I WANNA LIVE IN THAT REALITY!

Matsukaze

So, three episodes into the JoJo LP and despite botched pronunciations galore and neither of them paying attention to what characters are saying, it's good. Huzzah!

I know Woolie is Canadian and pronouncing things is hard for him, but goddamn it man it's "Gyro" not "Jeero"

I assumed it's pronounced like the sammich because he's Italian.

But then again it's also a reference to rotation, so if someone told me it's pronounced the same as "gyroscope" I wouldn't be that surprised.

At least there shouldn't be any case for the Japanese Purist pronunciation.

I assumed it's pronounced like the sammich because he's Italian.

But then again it's also a reference to rotation, so if someone told me it's pronounced the same as "gyroscope" I wouldn't be that surprised.

At least there shouldn't be any case for the Japanese Purist pronunciation.

The G is sort of silent in that pronunciation, so it sounds more like "euro"

And everyone who says his name says it like "Jairo"

Exodust

Banned
I have a question:

Just recently subscribed to vessel, and I noticed there were no video updates today while there were like four yesterday. Looking through the rest and it seems a bit inconsistent, is there some sort of schedule I can follow? Or is it more like lets full up on 72 hour exclusives and then add one or two later?

Top Bottom