• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scanline screenshot thread. Because 240p is all the p's I need.

piggychan

Genji Tsūshin Agedama
4AP4MtW.jpg

g5zGszz.jpg

wKqRq0M.jpg

TeaJay

I fiddled with the overscan a bit on my PVM and took some sample pics. It's just impossible to get the geometry 100% accurate on my monitor (the borders aren't straight no matter what I do) so I have to hide a bit.

Plus it's annoying that it varies by console and even by game.

dubc35

I fiddled with the overscan a bit on my PVM and took some sample pics. It's just impossible to get the geometry 100% accurate on my monitor (the borders aren't straight no matter what I do) so I have to hide a bit.

Definitely one of the annoying parts of RGB/PVM while S-Video just...works, lol.

Mega

Banned

The left side you mean? It's true that the geometry controls on a PVM are only meant to do some basic realignment. This is the point where a qualified tech or someone with a bit of know-how would open it up and use magnets or magnetic tape to straighten out warped edges and corners (check YouTube for examples). I had no desire to do such a thing and simply used extra overscan to hide a squished corner on my old 20M4U.

I don't have it anymore. Got that BVM-20F1U with low hours and flawless geometry and convergence. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
How heavy are you willing to go? The Sony PVM-20s are really good, and not too hard to find, but they weigh almost 70 pounds.

Best way to get video out of a graphics card would probably be a DVI to RGB converter of some sort, but I've never really tried it.

This is the proper thread for those questions.

That does not look like any consumer CRT I've ever seen. It's too sharp.

It's probably a PVM or BVM.

Thank you, and thank you. Appreciate the help.

Peltz

Sounds amazing. I'm using a PVM20M4u (I believe) and am quite happy with it. It's amazing how attached I've gotten to my crt over the past +2 years when I started this whole RGB journey.

TeaJay

The left side you mean? It's true that the geometry controls on a PVM are only meant to do some basic realignment. This is the point where a qualified tech or someone with a bit of know-how would open it up and use magnets or magnetic tape to straighten out warped edges and corners (check YouTube for examples). I had no desire to do such a thing and simply used extra overscan to hide a squished corner on my old 20M4U.

I don't have it anymore. Got that BVM-20F1U with low hours and flawless geometry and convergence. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Left side and the right side too, both are a bit warped. Nothing too serious but it bugs me anyways.

My model is also 20M4E, it's a really good PVM, I can totally live with some distorted geometry when its otherwise so fantastic. It's been maintained over the years, there's some stickers in its back saying what they've done, like "tube changed 9/2003" and other very technical stuff I can't translate.

I've had it a bit over a year now and I still get the kicks when I turn it on and hear the degaussing PLONKK sound.

Mydriaze

Neo Member
Hello everyone, first of all, i'm kind a noob about Retroarch (but not in emulation). I'm using right now a dedicated Retropie setup.

Pretty straightforward question: how to use Blargg's NTSC filter in Retropie?

Put a preorder in for the new batch of Framemeisters supposedly due end of Feb... came home today and there it was! Got more than a little excited trying out my Saturn games. These phone pics aren't the best but still show off the massive improvement - for the last year i've been sucking it up with Composite, and today I jumped to JP21 RGB.

Dodonpachi
N4bvJMz.jpg

This is the level that pushed me over the edge to buy the XRGB. That red dirt coupled with explosion chaos resulted in just a big blur over Composite.

Soukyugurentai
5bCTho8.jpg

yJ5Oeuh.jpg

eBtcbvN.jpg

That is most definitely the first time i've noticed a Ying Yang symbol on that boss!

Puyo Puyo Tsuu
6owBYZm.jpg

Another red background, this was honestly hurting my eyes before!

Vampire Hunter
md8iGjU.jpg

UPuZtFM.jpg

ARMS cameo please!

The King of Fighters '96
1WqcxBS.jpg

FKt1nSG.jpg

Burrrrn Knuckkkle!

Sonic Jam
psYBGY4.jpg

xG4KPqt.jpg

On Composite i mistook this for one shade of green!

Rockman X4
WVGODNM.jpg

And the best graphics i could find in Street Fighter The Movie!
zOPz8ow.jpg

Yeah it has some slowdown! Not sure how much else is missing from the Neo Geo version but it's still fun to play and has some great backgrounds and music. But moving on, here's some new screens!

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Geese is doing a Raging Storm, but i wanted to take the background instead
G9p1sIX.jpg

While Cheng is on the receiving end!
hOZVzmS.jpg

Dat castle detail
amwJ13g.jpg

The King of Fighters '97
The SNK legends
YC8gZKD.jpg

Love how each stage has it's own girl
92XWotQ.jpg

Hillbilly Mario & a singing dog!
i6LhzHr.jpg

Street Fighter Zero 1&2
Shinkkuuu!
JcSA77J.jpg

vU2Tns1.jpg

Gossip Queens
Qsc2O6J.jpg

Yes, the Framemeister's freeze function certainly can come in handy!
6a6AmIg.jpg

NBA Jam TE
Even the freaking title screen looks awesome. This looks like mud on composite!
Fw8j2XK.jpg

Peltz

nice shot! are you going to replay it this month with the club?

come join us as it's the genesis game of the month =)

My copy is busted. One of the connector pins literally wore away. :-(

Trying to save some dough because I preordered a Switch with a few games plus an extra set of Joycon and will also need to grab a Pro Controller. But I'll get it fixed/replaced eventually.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah Peltz and 16-bit, you should both get on that Comix Zone fun this month!

Also, some gorgeous shots in here as always, most underrated thread on gaf for sure!

So, since i'm not going the expensive route for my N64, I picked up an S-Video cable for running it through the Framemeister. Pretty happy with it for N64, but since it works on SNES too, I thought i'd try it before i fork out for a SNES RGB cable, to see if I could live with it.

It looks pretty good, about what I expected (having compared Saturn through S-Video & RGB already). Pixels are pretty sharp and colors bold, but there's that faint flickering particularly noticeable on the brightest of reds but only really when you're looking for it. I'm in two minds, i know the RGB cable will be better but ahhh what a penny pincher I am :D

Anyway, these didn't come out that great, but here's a few pics from playing around with it:

Yoshi's Island
WwgQ7K2.jpg

cNxjAfl.jpg

Wild Trax / Stunt Race FX
Trying this for the bright colors, but the title was about the only nice looking screen i could grab! I do love this game though.
1qPFNIv.jpg

Super Metroid
7TFyZxj.jpg

zuvcRRU.jpg

qs2BgEE.jpg

IeJRnGc.jpg

Top Bottom