• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scanline screenshot thread. Because 240p is all the p's I need.

purdobol

Fantastic shots, and I love the close up pixel layout of your CRT, but is there anything you could do about that overscan? A little overscan is fine, but it would bother me playing a game with the HUD elements cut off like that.

Software wise horizontal overscan can be corrected. When it comes to vertical width that would mean opening tv and adjusting the pot on the chassis. And I've spent way to much time finding the sweet spot for Mame already. It's not worth it imo. Charm of old tv's i suppose (no service menu and extremely bulby screen). Can't complain though since it's typical guest room set. Barely used.

30248517125_a327b9942d.jpg

Ivan

This is the thread of all threads, it doesn't get any better then this. Ever.

God, do I love that look...

TeaJay

Conquest of the Crystal Palace (Famicom/NES)
Gimmick! (Famicom)
Mad City (Famicom) - it's Bayou Billy but with fairer difficulty

(on a side note, it was damn hard to take a picture where the sprites aren't flickering like crazy or I'm not getting my ass handed to me on Mad City)

dFRt6PD.jpg

Kim is the best

TMEkxuZ.jpg

emI7Sx8.jpg

TeaJay

Darkwing Duck is IMO one of the most beautiful games on the NES. Best 8-bit cityscapes too?

e: picture's kinda dark, here's another. Again these are taken with my cellphone (G4) cam so there's some noise. And I assure you it looks even better in person.

Extreme close-up! Whoa!

It's amazing that Capcom went from a company that had some of the most talented people in the industry to one that couldn't even spell its own name properly.

ScOULaris

Most of my retro gaming is done via emulation these days on my Retropie setup.

Thankfully I have Floob's excellent Video Manager script to help simulate that authentic CRT look without overdoing it.

0AX94IV.jpg

Click to enlarge.

To my eyes it looks pretty much perfect. Integer-scaled so that the scanlines from the overlay line up perfectly, and then there are a few light shaders applied to bring it all together.

Arulan

I haven't messed around with CRT shaders in a while, and could use some advice.

This is perhaps a very general question that has been asked a lot, but what would you recommend as the best CRT shader for the goal of reproducing a high-quality CRT, and features geared towards the original developer's intention rather than nostalgia.

I'm using puNES at the moment. I tried crt-easymode-halation and couldn't get it to load, with the incredibly useless error message "Errors on shader. Use no filter". Crt-easymode works however.

ScOULaris

I haven't messed around with CRT shaders in a while, and could use some advice.

This is perhaps a very general question that has been asked a lot, but what would you recommend as the best CRT shader for the goal of reproducing a high-quality CRT, and features geared towards the original developer's intention rather than nostalgia.

I'm using puNES at the moment. I tried crt-easymode-halation and couldn't get it to load, with the incredibly useless error message "Errors on shader. Use no filter". Crt-easymode works however.
In my opinion blargg's NTSC filters are the best looking, but those require decent hardware to use at full speed. They are OpenGL shaders, however, so if you're playing on PC and using an emulator that supports them then I highly recommend it.

Edit: Just looked up puNES, and it looks like that emulator includes the NTSC filters. Try it with the S-video preset.

Arulan

In my opinion blargg's NTSC filters are the best looking, but those require decent hardware to use at full speed. They are OpenGL shaders, however, so if you're playing on PC and using an emulator that supports them then I highly recommend it.

Edit: Just looked up puNES, and it looks like that emulator includes the NTSC filters. Try it with the S-video preset.

Thanks. I did a quick comparison, though I'm not yet sure which I prefer.

No filter

castlevania_no_filter2fay0.png

NTSC S-video

castlevania_ntsc_s_vi7dl76.png

NTSC RGB

castlevania_ntsc_rgbwgycm.png

crt_easymode

castlevania_easymodewmzu4.png

missile

^ None looks good. Esp. the NTSC ones do miss many of the subtil features
stemming from encoding and decoding an NTSC signal. And what's NTSC RGB
supposed to mean? Doesn't make any sense.

Edit:
... This is perhaps a very general question that has been asked a lot, but what would you recommend as the best CRT shader for the goal of reproducing a high-quality CRT, and features geared towards the original developer's intention rather than nostalgia. ...
The CRT is just one part of the equation. The video signal itself plays a
key role for proper reproduction esp. for signals like NTSC/PAL. However,
proper video signal processing is expensive. As such most of the shaders just
fiddle with the colors a bit, but won't produce many of the subtil distortions
due to non-ideal filters the video signal undergoes on its way to a CRTs
guns.

D.Lo

It's just another one of the included NTSC filters in puNES.

Another one I tried for the sake of comparison:

crt_aperture

castlevania_aperturec7btz.png
NTSC RGB doesn't make any sense, because NTSC is a composite colour encoding. RGB bypasses colour encoding altogether and so NTSC RGB is a meaningless term.

That picture looks like a low res LCD screen, like an NES game emulated on a DS/3DS.

Mega

Banned
It's just another one of the included NTSC filters in puNES.

I take missile's remark to mean there's no such thing as NTSC RGB since RGB is the pure signal generated by the PPU (without any encoding).

I agree none of these shaders look good. Some of the RetroArch shaders do a better job but I'm still not a huge fan of most.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Whats a good CRT to try and get realistically today? Additionally, whats the best way to get video out of a modern graphics card and into a CRT?

MGrant

Whats a good CRT to try and get realistically today? Additionally, whats the best way to get video out of a modern graphics card and into a CRT?

How heavy are you willing to go? The Sony PVM-20s are really good, and not too hard to find, but they weigh almost 70 pounds.

Best way to get video out of a graphics card would probably be a DVI to RGB converter of some sort, but I've never really tried it.

How heavy are you willing to go? The Sony PVM-20s are really good, and not too hard to find, but they weigh almost 70 pounds.

Best way to get video out of a graphics card would probably be a DVI to RGB converter of some sort, but I've never really tried it.

DVI is able to carry analog signals, and a lot of older cards did that and you'd just use a simple adapter. No idea if modern cards are still wired up for analog though.

TeaJay

That is more or less what AV Famicom RGB looks like for me too but I just can't take good pictures of it. Or did sixteen-bit up the ante a bit by having a BVM?

Top Bottom