• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World -or- The Perfect GAF Movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GuitarAtomik said:
If you're seriously going to pass this up just because of him, I feel sorry for you. He's not my first choice for Scott but I can see how he could work.
I have no problem disregarding a movie based purely on not liking the actor who plays the main character.
(Points to all the Nicolas Cage films that EVEN IF THEY SOUNDED/ LOOKED COOL I said "fuck seeing that!")

oatmeal

Banned
Yeesh, the Michael Cera hate is strong here.

I look forward to when everyone likes it at first, then as it gains popularity, it becomes dull and stupid.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
awesome positive impression! the more i hear about this, the more i'm excited about it.

it will be as good as it will be and we should be grateful that o'mally is getting loot and recognition.

Black-Wind said:
I have no problem disregarding a movie based purely on not liking the actor who plays the main character.
(Points to all the Nicolas Cage films that EVEN IF THEY SOUNDED/ LOOKED COOL I said "fuck seeing that!")

So you're going to pass on Kick-Ass too? Well......I guess it's your loss. Even when I hate actors (ie Tom Cruise), that doesn't affect my enjoyment of the movie unless the movie sucks. Not enough to completely pass on it at least.

oatmeal said:
Yeesh, the Michael Cera hate is strong here.

I look forward to when everyone likes it at first, then as it gains popularity, it becomes dull and stupid.

I don't hate Cera, I just want him to play the character, not this own fucking self like he usually does. That's not being unreasonable, is it?

jett

D-Member
Zoramon089 said:
I don't hate Cera, I just want him to play the character, not this own fucking self like he usually does. That's not being unreasonable, is it?

To be able to do that the kid is going to have to take a couple of acting classes first.

GuitarAtomik said:
So you're going to pass on Kick-Ass too? Well......I guess it's your loss. Even when I hate actors (ie Tom Cruise), that doesn't affect my enjoyment of the movie unless the movie sucks. Not enough to completely pass on it at least.
vvvv
Zoramon089 said:

I don't JUST dislike the guy, I mean, I loved Super-Bad, Arrested Development and Juno. But its the fact that he plays the same fucking guy in every movie and he has played out that role by being in every movie he can get his hands on thats really what I don't like. Guy-got-no-range . . .

When I think Scott by NO MEANS do I think of that guy he has been playing all this time . . . and even in the OP it states that he is playing his normal role.

He isn't on Nick Cage level for me yet . . . but he is working his way up there because I'm tired of the guy he plays every damn film and I'm not gonna pay to see that guy inserted in a movie/ story/ character he doesn't belong in.

My loss? So be it. >_>

oatmeal

Banned
He's really good in Scott Pilgrim.

His delivery is pretty much flawless, and he's never entirely awkward, just very quirky.

Damn oatmeal I'm jealous.

Also, from your descroption, holy shit. All seven ex-boyfriends in one film?
So the film spoils the end before the comic book?
I thought there would be multiple films...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I like Michael Cera as an actor, but unfortunately, I really never saw him as a particularly fitting Scott Pilgrim. I love the comic, and Scott seemed to be slightly different type of guy than Cera. For one, there were quite a few times when I didn't find Scott charming at all. In fact, he was downright boorish. I don't think Cera can pull that off if he's just being Michael Cera.

oatmeal

Banned
_dementia said:

:D

Yep, all 7 are in this film.

And it's 'exes'...that's a joke you'll get in 8 months.

I will say this, it's one of the slickest films I've ever seen.

oatmeal said:
:D

Yep, all 7 are in this film.

And it's 'exes'...that's a joke you'll get in 8 months.

I will say this, it's one of the slickest films I've ever seen.
No, that was covered in the comic book.
Only the last one remains unresolved.

daegan

_dementia said:

Brian Lee O'Malley has explained that the endings are different. How different, who knows...

oatmeal said:
He's really good in Scott Pilgrim.

His delivery is pretty much flawless, and he's never entirely awkward, just very quirky.

I find it hard to trust the opinion of the creator, the director, and the only person in this thread who's seen the movie.

Sorry.

;D

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The only thing overstaying it's welcome more than Michael Cera's one-toned acting is the bitching about Michael Cera's one-toned acting. Sheesh, everyone gets it.

Anyways, I am so goddamn jealous of you right now. I had no idea that they'd be screening the movie so soon. Freaking august can't come soon enough!

All i had to read was 8-bit intro and MIDI music and i know that Wright treated this the way it was meant to be. August is so far into the distance

I'm in a moral dilemma of sorts here:

I have grown absolutely sick of Michael Cera's "George Michael" routine in every damn film. And it's very likely that if this film bombs then Michael Cera is finished since all of his other films have been flops and studios pay attention (it happened to Nicole Kidman)

BUT

Edgar Wright made this and it actually looks pretty good. Oh dear.

oatmeal

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
You said it wasn't really emotional so how are the romance/love scenes handled then? Comedy in bed?

Uhm, it's hard to answer that really.

There aren't really any love scenes to speak of...there is an "I love you" bomb dropped, and even that is done with some style.

But, honestly, the movie moves FAST. Like, lightning fast. It never stops to build that kind of character, it is just always moving...but not in a bad way. It's hard to explain but everything is kept pretty light, never gets that deep.

oatmeal

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
The Possibility for a sequel maybe, ultimately, probably the same way I will feel after the last book comes out :(

I will say that it's not really...left open for a sequel.

Not saying that they can't do one, but it's kind of an open and shut case.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
When is the last book coming out anyway?

Cera was amazing in Youth in Revolt, he'll be amazing in Scott Pilgrim. The OP even admits he hasn't read the books, and I'm on my second read-through of them right now and how he describes Cera playing Scott is exactly how Scott is in the books. People bitching about Scott not being a whiny stuttery little girl have some serious selective memory because he stands around gasping like an idiot with alarming frequency throughout the whole series. It's what makes him such an endearing character.

daegan

Dedication Through Light said:
All I remember is that it is coming in 2010 (well according to the top of the page on scottpilgrim.com)

The movie comes out August 13 according to radiomaru.com (Brian Lee O'Malley's site) and he tweeted the other day that the book will be out before then :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom