• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Why the fuck did someone link to tvtropes. I had been free of that fucking site for months, and now I see it up there in my little window bar, beckoning...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Son of Godzilla said:
Why the fuck did someone link to tvtropes. I had been free of that fucking site for months, and now I see it up there in my little window bar, beckoning...

Tab it up. You know you want to.

Son of Godzilla said:

I came SOOOOOO close to clicking that link, but I want to actually play some games later.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yah, thats something I wanted to know too, how much do you get for each copy of the game. How much did you make for something like each copy of Drawn to Life?

Jackson

Drkirby said:
Yah, thats something I wanted to know too, how much do you get for each copy of the game. How much did you make for something like each copy of Drawn to Life?

Let's put it this way, DTL (a million+ selling game) funded Scribblenauts. :D

Jackson said:
Whatever words of infinite wisdom Jackson decided to say at any particular moment.
This may be a bit off topic, but seriously, thank you. Its rare that a team have such a real(read: not sales data) connection with the community, and actually listens...and responds...to concerns, praises, and all around general discussion. I, as well as a ton of neogaf and non-neogaf members alike, really appreciate what you and your team have been doing with us fans. As corny as this sounds, I seriously mean it from the bottom of my heart.

Thank you.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I really dislike the player thing from IGN. I can't even skip to a certain part once it's fully loaded because it fucks up.

abstract alien said:
This may be a bit off topic, but seriously, thank you. Its rare that a team have such a real(read: not sales data) connection with the community, and actually listens...and responds...to concerns, praises, and all around general discussion. I, as well as a ton of neogaf and non-neogaf members alike, really appreciate what you and your team have been doing with us fans. As corny as this sounds, I seriously mean it from the bottom of my heart.

Thank you.
Yeah, it's awesome that Jackson is here participating in this thread and being active to any questions or concerns in regards to this game. I also thank him very much for contributing in this thread. It really means a lot.

joaomgcd

So did anyone listen to the TWIT podcast last week? Jeff Kannata was there and mentioned Sribblenauts to the others. They weren't paying much attention until he mentioned Post #217! :lol After that they got all riled up and some of them starting saying they really wanted the game. It was great. :D

abstract alien said:

Thank you.

+1. Very well said, and I agree with everything.

Also, I just bought Drawn to Life a couple days ago based on how highly its regarded here. Havent played it yet, but next weekend is devoted to that and Rhythm Heaven. Cant wait!

joaomgcd said:
So did anyone listen to the TWIT podcast last week? Jeff Kannada was there and mentioned Sribblenauts to the others. They weren't paying much attention until he mentioned Post #217! :lol After that they got all riled up and some of them starting saying they really wanted the game. It was great. :D

Link? Never heard of it.

tabsina

Rewrite said:
I really dislike the player thing from IGN. I can't even skip to a certain part once it's fully loaded because it fucks up.

also available on youtube, search query: scribblenauts ign

Jackson

abstract alien said:
Thank you.

We all really appreciate those words man (more than just myself read these posts), it's great to see people really getting behind our work. Makes it all worth it.

joaomgcd said:
So did anyone listen to the TWIT podcast last week? Jeff Kannada was there and mentioned Sribblenauts to the others. They weren't paying much attention until he mentioned Post #217! :lol After that they got all riled up and some of them starting saying they really wanted the game. It was great. :D

About to go to bed (in crunch atm... loooong hours yay! lol)

The funniest thing about that video is when Jeff tells them the premise of Scribblenauts and Leo Laporte says "How do it know?" :lol The guy talks for a living and the idea made his brain freeze so he couldn't even form a proper sentence. That was totally awesome to watch for us. It's a little office meme we use a lot now. :lol

Jackson said:

The funniest thing about that video is when Jeff tells them the premise of Scribblenauts and Leo Laporte says "How do it know?" :lol The guy talks for a living and the idea made his brain freeze so he couldn't even form a proper sentence. That was totally awesome to watch for us. It's a little office meme we use a lot now. :lol

Wait there is a video? I thought it was a podcast?

Ventron

Jackson said:

He's probably still so pissed off at Mike Arrington that he can't think straight.

Broseybrose

Jackson said:
We all really appreciate those words man (more than just myself read these posts), it's great to see people really getting behind our work. Makes it all worth it.

Also, i love the fact that the GAF buzz has helped spread the word to those who just didnt know or care. EVERYONE needs to know about - and then buy - this game.

Mind-blowing concept that seems to be mind-blowingly executed. I cant wait to get my hands on a copy and show it to everyone i know.

Edit- And props to Bork for the thread and to Feep for this:

Feep said:
"So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES."
:lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Crispygamer.com article said:
The forums at NeoGAF.com, the central nervous system of grassroots gaming buzz, embark on an epic love-in just after midnight, based on early buzz and info about the game. Sample comments: "Ok, game of show, easily." "This game just blows my mind right out of my head every time I hear about it." "The greatest new gaming concept in years." "Game of the Century." Journos at the show, alerted by the NeoGAF buzz, begin making the trek over to the Scribblenauts booth and reporting back to the forums.

joaomgcd said:
So did anyone listen to the TWIT podcast last week? Jeff Kannata was there and mentioned Sribblenauts to the others. They weren't paying much attention until he mentioned Post #217! :lol After that they got all riled up and some of them starting saying they really wanted the game. It was great. :D

It just goes to show, once you appease the finnicky members of GAF, you'll make it big.

Broseybrose

Ive never pre-ordered a game in my life, and im probably going to break that rule just to help promote this game.

Also, this is a stretch, but it would be awesome if 5th Cell could find a way to integrate the word "GAF" into the game. Not sure how it would manifest... ill leave that up to the obviously-much-more-creative-than-I-am devs at 5th Cell. :D

jepense

Broseybrose said:
Also, this is a stretch, but it would be awesome if 5th Cell could find a way to integrate the word "GAF" into the game. Not sure how it would manifest... ill leave that up to the obviously-much-more-creative-than-I-am devs at 5th Cell. :D
It's there already, though we don't know in what form.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oh... FINE. You twisted me arm.

neogaf_avatar_sn.jpg

That No More Heroes 2 version didn't last long...

Jme

So if this game is coming out in the fall... and the first day of fall is September 22, 2009, that means we COULD see this game in as few as
102 days

That seems kind of far, how about 14 weeks 4 days.

Hmm, still a pretty big number.

One last try. 3 months 10 days

That doesn't seem so far away after all. It's only 0.2795 years away...

handofg0d said:
So if this game is coming out in the fall... and the first day of fall is September 22, 2009, that means we COULD see this game in as few as
102 days

That seems kind of far, how about 14 weeks 4 days.

Hmm, still a pretty big number.

One last try. 3 months 10 days

That doesn't seem so far away after all. It's only 0.2795 years away...
I don't mind, honestly. This is one of those games where I want as much polish and content as possible, and I am very patient in having to wait a long time to get exactly that.

Also, Jackson, do you/the game/etc. have some sort of blog or twitter I could follow? I feel like Pokemon all over again as I try to add more gaming devs and journalists to my twitter collection.

Jackson, I dont know if you are taking request but if you put this I would be inmensely happy and love your company even more (if thats even possible :lol ).

If you write DRAGON you summon this:
2j5bey0.jpg

If you write SEA DRAGON (or maybe its sea snake) you summon this:
sx2eex.jpg

It would be incredibly awesome that if you write SPACE DRAGON you summoned this:
fumjgz.jpg

Just like when you write crow bar you can dress as "Gordon Freeman", it would be a great easter egg for the Metroid fans to have Ridley if you type his species and he appears.

Anyway, your game is great and im talking about it to all friends here at Spain, they say its incredible and that if its as good as I say they will buy the game and talk about it to other people.
So I hope you sell a ton.

And BTW, AVATAR GET!
28v86bm.jpg

Im stretching it here, but it also would be awesome if you write Zero Suit and Samus appears.

Jackson

Metroid Killer said:
Wtf? You made those yourself?

Can I request a Samus helmet in scribble-style?

The top 2 are in the game already, he did and impressive job of making Ridley and Samus though!

BTW - Later tonight (let's say around 6-7pm PST), I'm going to give GAF a little present in celebration of a great E3!

I think you guys will love it. :D

Metroid Killer said:
Wtf? You made those yourself?

Can I request a Samus helmet in scribble-style?

I draw them taking parts from the Nintendo Power article. Ridley was done with parts drawn and parts of the sea Dragon. Samus was done with the face of the cheerlader (that is THE SAME of Samus :lol ) and then I draw the Zero suit.

I will try doing a Gravity Suit Samus for your avatar ;)

lopaz

Banned
Jackson said:
The top 2 are in the game already, he did and impressive job of making Ridley and Samus though!

BTW - Later tonight (let's say around 6-7pm PST), I'm going to give GAF a little present in celebration of a great E3!

YESSSSSSSSSS

PS from the videos you are quite attractive

Jackson said:

So ridley and samus are in?lol

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I draw them taking parts from the Nintendo Power article. Ridley was done with parts drawn and parts of the sea Dragon. Samus was done with the face of the cheerlader (that is THE SAME of Samus :lol ) and then I draw the Zero suit.

I will try doing a Gravity Suit Samus for your avatar ;)
Awesome work!

So much love in this thread! Must be some kind of record here on gaf. :D

A friend of mine expressed interest in the game, but he rarely buy new games. His birthday is in November so I know what I'll be giving him.

Jackson said:

Oh god, can't wait.

It just now occurred to me how Scribblenauts will also make the perfect avatar generator. Now I just need to spawn in a penguin with a tophat and monocle.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SirPenguin said:
It just now occurred to me how Scribblenauts will also make the perfect avatar generator. Now I just need to spawn in a penguin with a tophat and monocle.

I somehow doubt my Chandler Rossington will be in the game :(.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Jackson, I dont know if you are taking request but if you put this I would be inmensely happy and love your company even more (if thats even possible :lol ).

If you write DRAGON you summon this:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2j5bey0.jpg

If you write SEA DRAGON (or maybe its sea snake) you summon this:
http://i43.tinypic.com/sx2eex.jpg

It would be incredibly awesome that if you write SPACE DRAGON you summoned this:
http://i39.tinypic.com/fumjgz.jpg

Just like when you write crow bar you can dress as "Gordon Freeman", it would be a great easter egg for the Metroid fans to have Ridley if you type his species and he appears.

Anyway, your game is great and im talking about it to all friends here at Spain, they say its incredible and that if its as good as I say they will buy the game and talk about it to other people.
So I hope you sell a ton.

And BTW, AVATAR GET!
http://i42.tinypic.com/28v86bm.jpg

Im stretching it here, but it also would be awesome if you write Zero Suit and Samus appears.

That would be sweet. But I have to say you did a great job on the edits there!

Ooooh, can't wait to see what our GAF treat is later on. :D

leroidys

My hype for this game has reached critical mass. When it was first announced I thought "whoah neat". When more details came out about how many things you could do I thought "sounds great, will get after price bomba/backlog cleared out". Post-E3, it is now "I FUCKING NEED THIS GAME NAOW!!!!!!!11111"

Jackson said:

Awesome news!

And thanks for praising my work :D

If at the end you add the Space Dragon to the game im going to go crazy :lol

Top Bottom