• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Blizzard

Banned
BorkBork said:
I wouldn't count on that. Buy a DS. :p
Just wait for a drop in price on the DSi! I'm sure it'll happen! :lol :lol :lol

I <3 my DS Lite, though I don't like straining my eyes on small screens and prefer PCs. But man, they never DID drop the price on those things, did they.

jrricky

Banned
Hazaro said:
+ Steam + User made approved / rated content to continually expand the database + new user levels.
Well the game already allows user generated content to be transported over wifi.

OMG Jackson, respond if you want to be bombarded with questions please.:D

GDGF

Soothsayer
Maybe they'll be nice and give you PC only gamers a barebones application you can play with (like what they did with Drawn to Life)

It'd make for a nice bit of advertisement.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
jrricky said:
Well the game already allows user generated content to be transported over wifi.

OMG Jackson, respond if you want to be bombarded with questions please.:D
Yeah but everything for creativity is so much better on PC, plus it would be so much easier.

Like putting Gang Garrison 2 things in :D

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Everything about this game looks phenomenal. I just want the demo so badly. MUST TEST WORDS.

I want to test simple words, like "game" and "bill" and "calculator." I also want to test words that are probably 100% useless, like "wallpaper" and "sock" and "rhombus"

JACKSON SEND ME A COPY PLEASE.

batbeg

Slavik81 said:
1009 upsidedown is 6001...

Haha, I meant 1006 obviously
you asshole! Catching me out :O

I still can't believe this fucking game.

I want it now. NOW DAMMIT! :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This could seriously be my GOTY. It looks absolutely amazing.

jts

...hate me...
what the

i don't

Did they went through a whole dictionary and created every object there is or are there things that are generated by the game somehow? What kind of sorcery is this?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
jts said:
what the

i don't

Did they went through a whole dictionary and created every object there is or are there things that are generated by the game somehow? What kind of sorcery is this?

Eurogamer preview explains most of it.

1up Impressions, really short though.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174637&p=39

What's the game about? Simple enough: Your character needs to reclaim a star object called a Starite to clear the given level. By panning around the level and checking it out (including any obstacles and hints) you can then bring up a keypad and start entering words for objects that might help you out. Is a rope blocking your path? Input "scissors," attach the item to your character, and use them to cut the rope -- easy!

But you can be much more creative than that: maybe you'd rather use a chainsaw to cut the rope, or a flamethrower, or maybe a rabid cat? (OK, not that last one; there's no room for adjectives.) Developer 5th Cell went through every word in the dictionary and then some, attached some art and hierarchal properties (think "rock-paper-scissors"), and bam, a game that pretty much gives you whatever you think of -- minus trademarked entities, of course.

What's new for E3? Scribblenauts was finally playable at E3, and though there weren't a lot of stages to try, the game was naturally flexible enough to get a lot of play out of it. Not only were the developers suggesting easy items for solutions, but oftentimes, bystanders looking at the game on the big screens would just yell out ideas. The title screen even served as a "stump the Scribblenauts" mode; a sandbox where you could just input words freely and see what pops out.

What's our take? Scribblenauts is the real deal. This could have been yet another action-puzzle game, but one "little" addition makes a world of difference. There's little doubt that some people will just want to get through the game as fast as possible, but others will go nuts experimenting with the game's nearly endless dictionary of objects.

The Hermit

I can´t believe there is a game that have this:

LongCatTacgnol.jpg

While listening to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J---aiyznGQ

Colocho

Banned
Aside from the awesome "summoning" capabilities, I don't know if this will be as good as they say, I'll need more impressions from the core gameplay first.

Fredescu

jts said:
From the Eurogamer preview above:

Eurogamer said:
"The way it works is we've started with the qualities rather than the objects," explains Cox. "We've started with categories and sub-categories, like flammable, electrical, heavy, organic, and then we place each object within this framework. That means an object already inherits loads of qualities as soon as it's put into the system: we don't have to say fire would burn this wooden ladder or this boat. We simply say fire would burn everything that's flammable, and anything made of wood will already be marked up in the database as flammable. And when someone slots in a bird, we know from the start that it's organic and it flies, and it has AI properties and that sort of stuff, right from the word go. We don't have to go through thousands of objects one by one, assigning properties."

For example:

Eurogamer said:
Just the other day, in the tree level, somebody wrote 'anvil', which doesn't seem like much help. But then they wrote 'glue', and stuck the glue to the anvil, and then stuck the anvil to the Starite, and it pulled it down out of the tree. I would've never thought to do that before, and we didn't program it, but because the objects all have physical qualities that make sense, the game can decide whether a solution's going to work.

Phthisis

In all honesty, this is my game of the show. Even over things like Darksiders, Bayonetta, and Mass Effect 2. Just an absolutely impressive game.

I summoned a cop for fun, just to test out what I could do. Then I spawned a jail. Using the jail produced a criminal. The cop shot the criminal on site. Then I spawned a goat. Then I spawned a bear; the bear started to attack the goat. As soon as that happened, the cop started shooting the bear.

Mind = blown.

I also saw the dude in front of me type in "god". Sure enough, there is he is. Then he summoned "death"

They fought. Death won. Amazing.

jts

...hate me...
Thanks for the heads up, guys. Great read. Simple concept, but genius! Gotta love 5th Cell.

Just watched the co-op bit on scribblenauts - they summoned a vampire hunter and it looked like van helsing. I wonder, if you write in vampire slayer, will it be Buffy?

Haunted

The amazing part is going through the dictionary and creating all those individual art assets, imo.

Blows my mind.

Unison

Absolutely GOTS, and a definitely a GOTY contender.

Shame on the gaming press if they don't see the potential here, especially after giving Spore GOTS multiple times.

Colocho said:
Aside from the awesome "summoning" capabilities, I don't know if this will be as good as they say, I'll need more impressions from the core gameplay first.

I agree. The dictionary mechanic sounds amazing, but I'm not yet convinced that the game aspects of this are nearly as compelling or fun as the toy/sandbox aspects. (Not saying they aren't, just that the levels I've seen or read about haven't convinced me yet.)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Jackson said:
:lol I'm on the plane right now flying back to Seattle reading these comments.

Great stuff!

Question.

If you summon a witch.

Is it made of wood?

Does it weigh as much as a duck?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Jackson said:

Great stuff!

Dude you guys are creating a game that is going to go down in history. This is not hyperbole.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Htown said:
Question.

If you summon a witch.

Is it made of wood?

Does it weigh as much as a duck?

Good question. What happens if you throw a bucket of water on said witch? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
BorkBork said:
Just saw the Co-op bit. :lol @ Cthulhu

Where's the video?

Phthisis

Jackson said:

Great stuff!

I can only imagine how much fun conceptualizing this game must have been. I seriously had a blast playing it at the show; I didn't want to leave the machine, but even watching someone else playing the game is entertaining as fuck.

Dacvak

Actually, post ALL videos of Scribblenauts in this thread, please.

Dacvak

There's got to be more. They all need posted, and OP need updated. Why don't we just make this an official "before-release" thread?

Dacvak

Top Bottom