• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE should keep remaking older Fina Fantasy games

supersale88

Neo Member
I would be happier if they make a new Final Fantasy with the level of polish and love that Rebirth got put into it. But I see Rebirth and Remake as new games so I am happy with franchise rn.

Fbh

Even if they do remake more games I don't think they'll do this multi game approach again.
VII is probably the most popular entry (alongside X, for some reason) and even with that people don't seem that excited about buying multiple parts.

I'd be happier if they actually make a NEW FF that isn't average at best for a change though.

KaiserBecks

I don't really care that much about Final Fantasy, Square Enix has so much more to offer. I'd prefer to see remakes (or at least remasters) of more kind of forgotten games from the PSX era, like Bushido Blade, Parasite Eve and Brave Fencer Musashi.

violence

I’d be fine with them just doing a graphics remake for 8 and 9 similar to StarCraft remastered. 4K 2D art.

Go_Ly_Dow

6, 8 and 9 I don't think are realistic candidates to remake them in one game to the same standards as FF7 Remake/Rebirth, but 10 I think is doable in one as the world is smaller all things considered. It's really just one large continent and a few big islands. Plenty of room to expand all the city's like Zanarkand, Luca and Bevelle too - all of which were quite limited in the game.

Imagine Blitzball on PS6. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FFVIII remake would be the shit. They can’t ruin the story like they did with VII cuz VIII’s story can only go up from here. Dat art style. Dat soundtrack. Dat gunblade. Dat Quistis & Rinoa. Dat Doomtrain. Fuck yeah.

poodaddy

Modern FF stinks so might as well keep remaking the good ones
Yeah but they'll just fuck up good games if the FFVII Remake is anything to go by. Mind you I find the original VII to be overrated anyway as I prefer VI, IV, IX, Tactics, and XII over it, but it is a good game, and Jesus the remakes are just embarrassments in comparison.

I say we leave the classics alone unless it's merely a visual touch up. I don't trust modern Square Enix to do anything involving rewritten stories for absolutely anything at all anymore. My daughter's comic book about fucking ninja animals is better written than anything Square Enix has put out in the last decade lol.

StereoVsn

FFVIi Rebirth is a fantastic game. It’s genuinely sad that it’s not selling better. SE really needs to get it on PC and that means not locking it behind Epic BS.

For remakes, FFV, FFVI, FFIX could do great with 2D-3D graphics format but we need god damn DQ3 put first.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It brings a tear to my eye that 30 years ago those games would have been AAA.
I dont really care if the game is AA or AAA as long as its good game then what does it matter? Currently Unicorn Overlord my GOTY its damn high quality game, it make zero difference if its AA or AAAAAA game.

I'm personally more interested in new entries, it's more exciting, I think.

But one thing that Square Enix devs and directors have always been incredibly consistent about, is that no Final Fantasy game is the same (Besides direct sequels, and even then, they are still very distinct).

Final Fantasy 3 is not 5.
12 is not 9 or 10.
15 is not 16. Etc.

And same can be said about the Remakes of 3, 4 and 7.

So regardless if they focus on new entries or remakes, the experience will be very fresh.

In a good or bad way, because they take A LOT of risks everytime.

Last edited:
6, 8 and 9 I don't think are realistic candidates to remake them in one game to the same standards as FF7 Remake/Rebirth, but 10 I think is doable in one as the world is smaller all things considered. It's really just one large continent and a few big islands. Plenty of room to expand all the city's like Zanarkand, Luca and Bevelle too - all of which were quite limited in the game.

The FF9 "remake" almost has to be more like a remaster. I think the FF7 treatment was a one time thing.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
they should escape from this remake trap and go for new IP that attract new audience.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
they should escape from this remake trap and go for new IP that attract new audience.
2gqcLQ5GUmznCHUZuuamxD06.png

4tVjWFssN6B3wZl8VgxEiStI.png

Season 21 Episode 6 GIF by Law & Order

Seriously though, if they made a new IP that was like the Remakes that would be a different story.
But both Capcom & SE don't seem to get it.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
2gqcLQ5GUmznCHUZuuamxD06.png

4tVjWFssN6B3wZl8VgxEiStI.png

Season 21 Episode 6 GIF by Law & Order

Seriously though, if they made a new IP that was like the Remakes that would be a different story.
But both Capcom & SE don't seem to get it.
forspoken is not thattt bad , but yea the other one is trash.

I prefer them to go for new AAA single player IP again

RCU005

I don't know if they will go for IX now, given Rebirth's disappointing sales. And I'm saying this as someone who is loving every minute of Rebirth.

Did Rebirth really have disappointing sales, or is everyone basing that over the assumption that someone said about the game maxing out to 2 million players?

I don't think Square Enix (or anyone official) has commented any sales information yet.

Kumomeme

while i love to see more remake, the FF Rebirth team should make next mainline FF instead.

they show what they can do within merely 3 years of development and now they finally can make good open world RPG. they should carry the knowledge and momentum on next mainline before the team is shuffled or whatever potentially can happen in future.

but if they decide to keep make remake, then i hope they would do for FFV. based on Rebirth structure, the game world map traversal design and job system gonna translate well with their style and knowledge IMO. the team has people from LR13 which is already has experience with job system.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Did Rebirth really have disappointing sales, or is everyone basing that over the assumption that someone said about the game maxing out to 2 million players?

I don't think Square Enix (or anyone official) has commented any sales information yet.

All assumptions by people who have a chip on their shoulders and want to see their preconceived hate justified.

Skelterz

I find it funny that whenever the battle system debate comes up Turn based never wins the poll but now the games are real time nobody seems to be buying them? It’s almost as if the original fans have moved over to games like persona/Smt.. 😂 SE are done. Go back to basics or die like the rest of the shill devs.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I find it funny that whenever the battle system debate comes up Turn based never wins the poll but now the games are real time nobody seems to be buying them? It’s almost as if the original fans have moved over to games like persona/Smt.. 😂 SE are done. Go back to basics or die like the rest of the shill devs.
Youre Delusional Billy Gardell GIF by CBS

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

I hope you're right, because I'm really loving it. Much more than Remake. I don't get the mini-game hate.

Skelterz

Could you explain the delusion? Everyone wants AAA action final fantasy but sales figures are down. I don’t seem to understand the conclusion you’ve come to but to me it’s dead simple.

The fanbase that used to buy the games on release aren’t doing so anymore, because they don’t trust Square-Enix because there not the same company anymore and the franchise isn’t the same franchise anymore.

They’ve essentially forgotten what made them the JRPG powerhouse to begin with and it all stems from development choices gameplay being the key factor. So you can call me delusional but do the maths, FF as a franchise has had an identity crisis since 13 take a look at the rubbish they’ve released since then and the sales figures.

IAmRei

I always said FF needs some new blood. XVI was that and was trash. FF does not need remakes because that shows they have no confidence to push the brand forward. Entire franchise is cooked.
At least the visual and the concept design of XVI are top tier, the gameplay also good. What you said trash is not true for others, trash is harsh word, and is not respectable to say that for masterpiece of game art design and concept like square did to XVI.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
If that means keeping CBU1 away from main entries for the next few decades and CBU3 “forced” developing 17, 18 ect… I’m all for “remakes” to continue 🤓🤓🤓

Hudo

What about Final Fantasy Tactics or a new Ivalice game?

I'd rather have these two than a remake of an old FF game.

And for God's sake, I hope that Nomura's retarded fingers never touch FF6.

Top Bottom